• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's anything funnier than an unprepared Trump, it might be an over-prepared Trump. First of all, to start preparing in earnest after debate 1 is basically like cramming the night before the test. My guess is that an over-prepared Trump doesn't sound normal, but erratic and jumping around his talking points.
Also if Clinton gets under his skin, everything goes out the window.

I don't think Trump has the basic cognitive ability to perform well over 90 minutes.

He doesn't. We saw in the last debate. He does alright for 10-20 minutes and then gets bored and the crazy train starts rolling.

SNL perfected it when they had Trump think he was done after a few minutes, and then right after started going in a rant on "the blacks"

Revolver

So you think Trump is going to take the townhall serious because of Pence's performance?

If anything I can see him overcompensating for the perceived lack of praise Pence gave him and cutting a WWE style promo about how much of a great genius he is.

I was listening to the president talk about Hurricane Matthew today and just thinking, "this shit would bore Trump to tears."

There's no way he actually wants this job.

538 has an article up saying that Trump is currently doing worse among white voters than Romney was at this point. WOW. His bread and butter melting away?

Wasn't he always? To my knowledge, Trump has never gotten close to Romney's total with white voters. He's gaining a ton of ground with non-college whites, but he's lost enough college whites to not top Romney.

Well, I don't know about South Carolina and Mississippi, but I do think the point of no return for Republicans is when Democrats can compete in Georgia and Arizona from the outset while having North Carolina locked up (Virginia is already a lost cause for them). Iowa and Ohio aren't enough to balance that out.

Mississippi's percentage of black residents is higher than any other state, and the white population here is aging off pretty quickly (young people are both not having as many kids and moving away). Black people here are usually trapped due to the poverty in their parts of the state, but if the trend continues, MS could be a minority-majority state in a few decades.

The mathematical link between sample size to MoE to probability is what determines the weights in that case. It's...sort of basic statistics and probability.

Right; I forgot - the volume of complaints about weighting is directly proportional to the result of the poll and how favorable it is to Clinton. :p

There's zero point to Nate listing ratings for each pollster if it doesn't actually matter. He should especially tuned to this since other statisticians are giving him shit for his weird model. TRENDZ is not a great justification.

And I forgot that the likelihood of a Cybit post defending Bronze without enough justification was pretty high!

Ithil

So you think Trump is going to take the townhall serious because of Pence's performance?

He could take it as seriously as he likes, it won't change his personality, temperament and lack of experience in debating. Never mind that it's a change in format so he can't even just try an improved version of his performance in the first debate.

Pence is a polished politician with a long career and experience in debating, you can't just cram the night before and transform from Trump to Pence even if you really want to (which I doubt Trump does, he likes being Trump).

Trump aides trying to hide teleprompters from the view LOL

@KatyTurNBC
Don't show the prompters? Campaign aide in Henderson wants pool camera on Trump to stay tight to cut the teleprompters out of frame.

blackw0lf

Thing is to challenge Hillary Trump HAS to interrupt. I doubt he can remember his talking point rebuttals waiting for Hillary to finish. And it's really the only way he has to derail her.

However if he does, he will inevitably be compared unfavorably to his running mate.

He's in a no-win situation.

Syncytia

Of course.. we all know Trump's opinion on teleprompters

Ylov29L.png

edit: didn't realize I was like 5 years late to this

Ford's spin on Trump's claim that they're moving jobs to Mexico isn't really too slick, if I'm reading this right.

In reality, Ford is moving production of the Ford Focus and Ford C-Max from a factory in Wayne, Mich., to Mexico in 2018 as part of a $1.6 billion investment in a plant that will create 2,800 jobs. But the automaker is preserving the Michigan jobs and launching production of two new vehicles there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...d-motor-co-washington-economic-club/91609438/

Doesn't that basically just admit that Trump was correct? Ford built a plant in Mexico, created jobs in Mexico and not the US.

Ford's spin on Trump's claim that they're moving jobs to Mexico isn't really too slick, if I'm reading this right.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...d-motor-co-washington-economic-club/91609438/

Doesn't that basically just admit that Trump was correct? Ford built a plant in Mexico, created jobs in Mexico and not the US.
Trump's implication was that the Mexican plant came at the expense of losing U.S. jobs, like they were shutting down the plant in Michigan so they could open a new one in Mexico but that's not really the case.

If you want to go down that route then any American company doing foreign business is "moving jobs to ___"

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I was listening to the president talk about Hurricane Matthew today and just thinking, "this shit would bore Trump to tears."

There's no way he actually wants this job.

This hurricane that's coming, it's going to be huge. Tremendous. It might possibly be the biggest hurricane we ever experience, believe me. So what are we going to do? What are we going to do? We- well, companies as big as this hurricane need precaution. They need- we need precaution. We need to protect ourselves. We need walls to stop this hurricane from doing damage to us.

But we don't win anymore. We don't get hurricanes like we used to. Look at Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Sandy. These two storms were- they were huge. They were massive, believe me. You saw it. And now people want to say we don't get hurricanes anymore. We are losing bigly to China. They have cyclones. What do we have? We can't let that happen, folks. We need the walls, but we also need the hurricanes. They need to come back. They just need to.

We are losing bigly to cyclones.

Nafai1123

Banned

Trump's statement was that these jobs were leaving the US, which is incorrect. Jobs are being created in Mexico, but Ford is not firing anyone in the US.

"So Ford is leaving. You see that, their small-car division leaving. Thousands of jobs leaving Michigan, leaving Ohio. They're all leaving," Trump said. "We have to stop our companies from leaving the United States and, with it, firing all of their people."

The Ford thing is bollocks. Ford would not be able to compete against the Asians were they not be able to produce their cheapest cars overseas.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So how common is split voting historically? I mean I usually go down ballot except when I voted for Bloomberg in NYC.

kess

I wonder how far Republicans can push this xenophobia on a state level when it's usually under GOP governors that public systems are privatized and sold to the (generally foreign) highest bidder

The eventual fate of the Indiana toll road is a good example of this.

Trump, literally, cannot let anything go. Literally nothing. He has to be responsible for everything good because he has the best brain.

Kander/Trump, too.

...Rubio/Hillary too... siiiiiiigh

Those voters are less common though.

Bayh is running like 15-20 points ahead of Hillary in Indiana and Portman is running 15-20 points ahead of Trump in Ohio. Those are extreme cases not seen since the Deep South still voted for Democratic congressmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom