• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

Why are people so invested in defending trash Nate's trash model.

Conversely I am kind of tired of people deriding Silver as "Trash Nate"

Yes, his punditry sucks, and he's a bit full of himself, but his models have been pretty reliable in the past.

I think PEC is better but I don't think it's worth dismissing 538 entirely.

Holmes

My sister-in-law (used to smoke weed regularly, went to UCSC) voted yes in 2010, planning on no this year. My father-in-law was no in 2010 and still no this year. Husband was yes in 2010 and leaning yes this year. I don't care either way. I want prop 67 (plastic bag ban) to pass. Husband is no on that, sister and father-in-law are yes on it. Dunno about other family members.

My sister-in-law (used to smoke weed regularly, went to UCSC) voted yes in 2010, planning on no this year. My father-in-law was no in 2010 and still no this year. Husband was yes in 2010 and leaning yes this year. I don't care either way. I want prop 67 (plastic bag ban) to pass. Husband is no on that, sister and father-in-law are yes on it. Dunno about other family members.
What about the death penalty?

Jeels

Amazing...

So, I gotta say, this has to be the scariest election I've ever witnessed. Not because Trump is one of our choices (although it is significant), but because I don't think I've ever really realized how much some people can hate someone they've never met. Like, people I know, who have been for the most part calm and reasonable people, are now somehow deluding themselves that every new scandal that comes out about Trump, even when he says it himself, is just the liberal media spinning things and they have to vote Trump because Hillary is the devil.

I realize there has always been political delusion among voters in every election, but the crazy is so visible this time among people that I see everyday... it's making me sick to my stomach.

Honestly people say this every election cycle but I never felt this way with the Bush elections or the Obama elections. I just feel like the country won't be able to move on from this cycle because it's true, there is truly a crazy segment of the population that refuses to live in reality...

I'm quitting my non-paying exploitative tech-bro startup job in an hour, PoliGAF...give me strength.

You are beautiful and strong. Become the change you with to see in yourself. You can do this. In fact, I am from the future, and it is already done. Your future self says this was the best decision you ever made. There is nothing to fear.

TheFatOne

You know what I have been wondering for a while. If libertarians wanted to be taken seriously why wasn't Weld the top of the ticket? Johnson is a terrible candidate, but Weld knows his shit.

His punditry sucks and his model is showing itself as hypersensitive and pointless. The race was not a DEAD HEAT a little over a week ago to being a near 80% chance of her winning.
That is just stupid. That is not a forecast.

Can't untrash.

I calls em like I sees em.

Holmes

it blows my mind that CA hasn't decimated the GOP on the congressional level, is the gerrymander that strong or is it more to do with a rural-urban divide?
Democrats already have 72% of seats in California (39/14 split), and there are opportunities to claim three more seats this year, maybe even four if Republicans collapse. The only thing that Republicans have left in the state is seats in Orange county, San Diego suburbs, some in the Central Valley/Inland and one seat out of two in Northern California (although the Democratic seat stretches all the way down to Marin). They're basically extinct.

Retro

They're in no rush to change if they keep sweeping everything that isn't the president.

True, but they'll be feeling the loss when they lose the Supreme Court for a generation and all of the shady shit they've done like sanding down the VRA and Citizens United (not to mention the court potentially addressing Gerrymandering) starts to curb their gains there too.

The point is, demographics are no longer in favor of the current Republican Party, and this will only get worse and worse for them in more and more places. If the argument is that America benefits from a conservative party as some kind of check, I can't see them exerting that kind of power if they're watered down to nothing but an angry, uneducated rural minority.

HylianTom

Banned
Honestly people say this every election cycle but I never felt this way with the Bush elections or the Obama elections. I just feel like the country won't be able to move on from this cycle because it's true, there is truly a crazy segment of the population that refuses to live in reality...
I've long said.. the night of November 8th is going to make a lot of people snap. The unthinkable (well, to them) is going to happen.

I imagine a world where I can take a blunt break working my 9 to 5. It's beautiful.

I don't know if you fully understand how legalization works...

Alcohol is also legal, but you can't get drunk at lunch. The same will be true for pot, and drug testing (and the resulting terminations) will still be legal.

I've long said.. the night of November 8th is going to make a lot of people snap. The unthinkable (well, to them) is going to happen.

One of the most solemn and important rituals in American politics is the concession speech. I am not hopeful the Trump can meet that moment.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
It feels like the VP debate didn't even happen. No one gave a shit. Status quo is bad for Trump. The clock keeps ticking.

So, I haven't really had time to track much of the coverage of the race today, but it seems like Pence won the debate, yet Kaine won the post debate coverage in terms of what people are talking about.

I laughed quite a bit when I saw Trump criticize Kaine for interrupting Pence during his time.

Syncytia

I don't know if you fully understand how legalization works...

Alcohol is also legal, but you can't get drunk at lunch. The same will be true for pot, and drug testing (and the resulting terminations) will still be legal.

Yep. A lot of jobs will still prevent you from being able to smoke.

For where I work, no one actually cares if anyone smokes weed, outside of work obviously. It's an insurance issue though, for the employees not the employer.

Get injured = drug test
Positive = no insurance coverage

Also you lose your job, so now you've lost your income and you're injured.

Nafai1123

Banned
As Olbermann said yesterday, refusing to accept the results of the election would be the most un-American thing any Presidential candidate has ever done in US history. I'm not sure anyone can survive something so absolutely horrendous, even Trump. As long as the election is not close ala Bush/Gore I think he will concede, or at least have Pence do it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom