• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Positions Trump has held throughout the entire campaign with no flip-flopping.

-We should be nice to Putin.
-The Central Park Five should be executed

... I don't think there are any others?
Insurance companies should be able to compete across state lines. With how consistent he has been with that specific stance, he must be poised to profit off such a change.

What is the rate of return on battery R&D.

Like, if the government invests another $100B in battery research, how much (based on historical trends) more will battery capacity be expected to improve?

This is a very specific question, but it's important and I can't find any estimates....

Like, if the government invests another $100B in battery research, how much (based on historical trends) more will battery capacity be expected to improve?

This is a very specific question, but it's important and I can't find any estimates....

Honesty, no way to know. Battery technology is hampered by the realities of chemistry and physics. Also a LOT of R&D is already being dumped into battery technology as is.

Plumbob

If someone knew the answer to that question they could probably attract private investment.

johnsmith

remember me
She is too good for us

qV7OjvS.png

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Depends how things go with graphene production methods.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Unfortunately that's not how it works, if it did work that way we'd all be better off.

Policies that would absolutely pass without a supermajority:
- Immigration reform
- Background checks (the Manchin Amendment failed cloture at 54-46 and Grassely's Amendment failed 53-47)
- Tax reform
- ACA fixes
- Criminal justice reform
- Infrastructure bill

If Republicans wanted to take their party back, they'd create less partisan districts that encourage competition from the center, not the ideological flank, stand up to the fascist running their party, and entirely reform the nominating process to control the outcome. Thus far, they've actively chosen to avoid doing the first two and I doubt they'll do the third. Good governance shouldn't wait for the GOP to get their shit together.

You're jumping past the necessary step of either controlling the House, or having an Ammenable Speaker to bring those votes to the floor. I certainly see the Senate coming together on many of those proposals. Unfortunately for all the reasons you mentioned in your second paragraph, and more, GOP Senators have very little leverage to move their House counterparts.

As for the proto-Fascism, intransigence, and power-hoarding...yeah,there isn't much we can do to force change. They'll have to choose it on their own. But I didn't see you mention the GOP voters, who will still be the fearful pants-pissing know-nothings they are now, even if the GOP takes up fair redistricting. Gerrymandering only accounts for a small portion of GOP seats. The rest come by their hate, fair-and-square.

The real question is do you wait them out and hope for demographics to succeed, or do you support the relatively sane ones and hope they make it long enough to become Statesmen?

Makai

Probably no difference. Research is definitely not like Civilization where you just double the number of scientists to halve the time to breakthrough.

Probably no difference. Research is definitely not like Civilization where you just double the number of scientists to halve the time to breakthrough.

If only we could figure out how to capture carbon and turn it into pumpkin spice lattes, we could all have a deliciously sustainable future

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If only we could figure out how to capture carbon and turn it into pumpkin spice lattes, we could all have a deliciously sustainable future

... actually. You might be onto something. Part of the problem is getting people to care. Your scenario might have such an effect.

Joeytj

Banned
Trump is bringing the Benghazi mom to the 3rd debate.

Oh, there's going to be foreign policy so, Benghazi is going to come up, yada, yada, yada, Trump thinks it will help him.

"Pat Smith is here in the audience, without her son Hillary, because you failed" and that sort of stuff. He's practically giving away his debate "strategy" to Hillary now, repeating the same tactics a third time. He still thinks he can reality TV his way to the White House, without it coming back and biting him in the ass.

Since Trump believes his winning, polls be damn, he thinks his previous debate tactics helped him. Again, only his base will love it.

Pixieking

Banned
Googling to double-check that (sorry, but there was no source link :) ), I found something about Ambassador Stevens' mother "asking that Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and the GOP stop invoking her son's death". Interesting contrast, there.

I think this'll backfire on Trump, btw. It gives Hillary an opportunity to express anger and sadness about the deaths of everyone involved in the attack. And she can direct it to the mother personally, which'll look very sympathetic if phrased right.

Nafai1123

Banned
I know it may not be the smart political move, but I want Hillary to absolutely destroy Trump at the debate. I want her to vocalize all the anger myself and millions of citizens feel. Make him look small. Call him out on his lies and call them what they are...lies. It's risky but it could really fire up the base.

jtb

Banned
Check out the update from Google Consumer Surveys

It looks pretty... off.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/

Would be interesting to see how they process location data; I remember reading on their Missouri senate race survey that they were picking up a not-insignifant number of Illinois and Kansas voters (that they did not screen out) and were unsure about how that would factor into the poll results vs. how that translates to actual election results.

Also, how the hell do they have a B rating on 538 lol

Get rid of audiences, they're worthless and full of shitty people who don't have the ability to shut the fuck up.

they are, literally, a national embarrassment.

also, the endless fetishizing of the mythical undecided voter means the topics that are covered are rarely any of the ones that are actually of any importance to the future of the country.

digdug2k

Honesty, no way to know. Battery technology is hampered by the realities of chemistry and physics. Also a LOT of R&D is already being dumped into battery technology as is.
To be fair, companies also waste a shitload of money because they're secretive and refuse to share any data. Meaning they all get to enjoy making the same mistakes 100 times before they make a marginal improvement. They also tend to lack a lot of formality (because they don't have to publish) so its a lot of random guess-and-check work. Often they have no idea why an idea worked in the end. Just "its better, ship it".

I gave my Ph.D. dissertation talk at a company once and the first interview after I finished the guy said, "You kinda already fucked yourself today. No one wants an egghead here. You should have just shown pictures of lab-equipment and talked about how cool it was."

Correct, the one from the convention.
No good can come from this. You know Hillary has a good answer, though! We just haven't heard it since the last congressional hearing because it wasn't a thing in the primaries. Vaguely, it's "I knew the ambassador... I did everything I could... Wish I could have done more..." So, you know, an answer that's truthful. If Trump tries to pull a "Hillary killed this mother's son" it's a massive opening for, uh, reality to step in.

The average voter has no freaking clue what this supposed conspiracy is, either! If this is his closing argument, it's DOA. Since he's kept it out of his stump speech and has even been disciplined enough to keep Benghazi out of his open rants, this is obviously a thing they've been waiting months to use. It's the only thing he doesn't actually talk about at length. So wow, his campaign has kept him in check for one whole talking point!

CCS

Banned
That video of Trump kissing a little girl at his rally is the creepiest thing I've ever seen. I feel like I need a bath.

Get rid of audiences, they're worthless and full of shitty people who don't have the ability to shut the fuck up.

I think they're fine, they just need to enforce the damn rules about kicking people out if they start making noise. Take a couple minutes if they have to and just get it over with.

The Benjamin Ghazi mother isn't going to faze her anyway. Bill's mistresses didn't either. He seems to think that because he can't even handle Mark Cuban that these stunts are effective.

If no new oppo drops today we can be pretty sure nothing else exists then.

3rd debate will be interesting, Hillary can definitely have some issues defending Syria/Libya. But considering how much she is preparing expect her to do good.

Cerium

I don't think Hillary is going to aim for any knockout punches. When you're ahead you don't have to throw any Hail Marys. She'll protect the lead.

Pixieking

Banned
If no new oppo drops today we can be pretty sure nothing else exists then.

Don't know if more oppo does exist, but that's flawed thinking. 21 days left til the election, with the debate tomorrow - why drop oppo today if there's a chance it'll be drowned-out by the debate tomorrow? Better to leave it til next week/week after, surely, where it can just be picked-up by the media without it being left in the dust by debate-talk. And, in fact, if it dropped now, it would look like a desperate attempt to draw attention away from Benghazi Mom. Not a good look.

per KSTP's Tom Hauser on Twitter: Craig (D) up 46-41 in MN-02

paging aaron and erasure!

I really dislike the political scientist Schier they quote in the story. For this MN-2 story he talks about how both candidates are below 50%. That's the same for MN-3 where the dude says nothing about how the 4-term Republican incumbent is also below 50 percent(49).

KSTP is a ridiculous station. They accused Minneapolis' Mayor of using gang signs when she was just pointing at someone. They're locally owned by a Republican so no surprise.

As for my prediction on MN-2, MN-3 and MN-8 as of today.

Craig defeats Lewis 55 to 42, 3 for the independent.
Bonoff and Paulsen go to a recount. Bonoff wins.
Nolan defeats Mills III 58 to 42.

+2 Dem seats.

The great thing about yesterday polls is that they are starting to show Clinton approaching the magical 50% mark. I'm sure there will be some tightening but it won't be as drastic as those in September. It took about 5 weeks for the convention gains to finally fade and polls from three weeks out are usually really good predictors of where we will end up come election day. Hillary is already banking these leads on early voting as well. I

Errrr... how does the campaign reconcile trotting Melania out to call these women liars... with attacking Hillary Clinton for her response to Bill's affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom