• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
tbpKIy

That gif's new to me. Amazing.

You're scared for a racist reason, no differently than being scared of a black person in a hoodie. The association you have is bad.

That billboard does the opposite of reinforces that association! A billboard with Arabic on it that didn't look like that would reinforce it. "White text on black background means terrorist! Otherwise, okay" is not a good thing! Instead this billboard sends the message that "White Arabic on black background doesn't tell you anything" which is true.

And it's more of a shame thing anyway. The goal should always be to shame racists. "Changing their views" is something people say when they live in liberal areas and don't know real Republicans.

It is absolutely different

And it does reinforces that association. The joke needs it. You need to believe its saying something evil or that someone reading it would think that. And I don't know how the billboard itself caries that message because the person cant read it and it provides no clues

This would be a billboard that more accomplishes your message

14.jpg

Honestly there's not much point to spending money to pump up Murphy. He's too low profile.

That race is going to be won or lost based on how poorly trump is received.

The point of spending money would be to raise his profile. If they're cutting him loose it's because they don't think he can win and they'd rather spend that money in cheaper markets.

"Curt Schilling can't even run a video game studio with a $75 million loan from the Rhode Island government. How can he run a country?"

The ads write themselves.

Failing at business seems to be a GOP prerequisite these days. He ticks all of the Trump boxes:

* Racist Homophobic and misogynist.
* Authoritarian
* Is an outsider who has name recognition outside of politics.
* Independently wealthy
* Media trained and comfortable on camera
* general outspoken asshole

He is exactly what the GOP base wants. He will go to war with Warren. He will make it as messy and stupid as possible. He will get creamed, but will emerge a GOP hero.

studyguy

Sorry if some white people get shook by other cultures having opinions other than "Don't worry we're not going to kill you."

That's the biggest gripe of mine, my existence shouldn't hinge upon some misinformed guy's level of comfort. I shouldn't have to reinforce the idea that brown people aren't enemies so I'm not going to humor the idea of making shit acceptable. At some point you can only hold out so much rope until ignorance refuses to bridge gaps on the opposite end.

The point of spending money would be to raise his profile. If they're cutting him lose it's because they don't think he can win and they'd rather spend that money in cheaper markets.

You're not raising his profile that fast

The problem with florida is there are no statewide figures on the Dem side. They're all local. North Florida, Tampa, Orlando, South Florida. The dems big goal should be to start to erase these differences (tough the local dems like them because they keep their power). Nelson is the only guy who really can but he's like 70 :(

Meanwhile republicans don't give a crap and will gladly get behind whoever is their guy. Dems have enthusiasm gaps between the many areas of the state. Which is why gwen graham isn't the future. She'd need to build up her south florida support. Not to say she shouldn't run but she's a north florida figure.

The point of spending money would be to raise his profile. If they're cutting him lose it's because they don't think he can win and they'd rather spend that money in cheaper markets.

Murphy will win/lose based mainly on Dem GOTV efforts in the cities. He could pull it off if the GOP/Trump ground-game can't get their shit together. The absentee ballots are coming in strong for Dems. It's closer than the entrail-reading pundits realize

The "Look at the suffering of the white working class!" genre of articles are just boring.

Each one is exactly the same.

There's never a "wait, a lot of these people make a lot of money" or "we should really try to desegregate churches" or... Really, anything solution-based or fact-based in the articles.

And there's no "if their politician succeeds, they will cheer Muslims being put in concentration camps" which seems important.

Missouri is a strange state for sure. Republicans have a super majority in the state senate and house but we had a Dem governor since 2008. We already have one Dem senator. Many state positions can go Dem. If we had more pockets of democrat areas it would be a different state for sure

I haven't followed local politics very much but I get the impression that the MO Dems are pretty good, they're just stuck running in a red state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You're not raising his profile that fast

The problem with florida is there are no statewide figures on the Dem side. They're all local. North Florida, Tampa, Orlando, South Florida. The dems big goal should be to start to erase these differences (tough the local dems like them because they keep their power). Nelson is the only guy who really can but he's like 70 :(

Meanwhile republicans don't give a crap and will gladly get behind whoever is their guy. Dems have enthusiasm gaps between the many areas of the state. Which is why gwen graham isn't the future. She'd need to build up her south florida support. Not to say she shouldn't run but she's a north florida figure.

Yup. My limited experience with Florida echos this. Florida is pretty separated for whatever reason.

Pyrokai

I haven't followed local politics very much but I get the impression that the MO Dems are pretty good, they're just stuck running in a red state.

This sounds like Ohio but reversed. I think Ohio is purple and could have leaned dem long ago rather than STILL remaining purple because the Ohio Democratic Party is.......terrible.

This sounds like Ohio but reversed. I think Ohio is purple and could have leaned dem long ago rather than STILL remaining purple because the Ohio Democratic Party is.......terrible.

This is due to the hollowing out of state parties and the talents.

The DNC has been horrible about this in the Obama era. They are far to centralized in DC and think sending shock troopers is a replacement for growing parties locally.

I'm sorry some 20 something flying in from DC (who grew up in an affluent suburb and went to a nice college) means well but he's not going to win you votes for gov races in rural or blue collar ohio. They can knock on a lot of doors but can't really speak with authority.

Yup. My limited experience with Florida echos this. Florida is pretty separated for whatever reason.

We're one of the most ethnically/culturally/economically diverse States in the nation. Besides NYC, we have more nationalities living side-by-side than anywhere. We're also a state that attracts conservative-minded retirees which is constantly off-setting new young professionals and college students.

Once the Silver Tsunami crests in about 20yrs, you will see a monumental shift in our politics. The future for Florida will be crazy chaotic between Latinxs and sea-levels rising

Loudninja

Obama tells Trump to ‘stop whining’ about rigged election
President Barack Obama on Tuesday downplayed Donald Trump's suggestion that November's election is "rigged," and said the GOP presidential nominee needs to toughen up.

"I'd advise Mr. Trump to stop whining and try to go make his case to get votes," Obama said at a White House news conference alongside Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.

"If whenever things are going badly for you, you start blaming somebody else, then you don't have what it takes to be in this job," Obama continued. "There are a lot of time things don't go our way or my way … that's OK, you fight through it."
Obama on Tuesday said he would reserve more scathing remarks against Trump for the campaign trail, but insisted that American elections can't be rigged because the process for voting for president is "so decentralized."

"One way of weakening America is if you start betraying those basic American traditions that have been bipartisan and have helped hold together this democracy for well over two centuries," Obama added.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...p-about-rigged-elections-stop-whining-n668276

Pyrokai

This is due to the hollowing out of state parties and the talents.

The DNC has been horrible about this in the Obama era. They are far to centralized in DC and think sending shock troopers is a replacement for growing parties locally.

I'm sorry some 20 something flying in from DC (who grew up in an affluent suburb and went to a nice college) means well but he's not going to win you votes for gov races in rural or blue collar ohio. They can knock on a lot of doors but can't really speak with authority.

Can this be fixed??? Is there any effort to do so?

The "Look at the suffering of the white working class!" genre of articles are just boring.

None of them really get how angry rural white people and tie it to the humiliation of how their communities are ravaged by drug abuse, lack of education opportunities, lack of good health care, and how many of them are dependent on the government to keep their villages just above water.

See, they've become everything they dog-whistled about minority inner-city populations for the last forty years. They recognize this to some degree (things are bad and getting worse!) but their privilege-fueled cognitive dissonance makes them lash out at anyone not like them-and in that response they find natural allies with bonafide white supremacists. Would be nice if they could internalize their situation better, but they can't and just keep electing the same people that prevent them from getting the help they need.

"look at all the money i asked for from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! See!? They are the hypocrits! Vote for me!

The entirety of the NC coastal plain/sandhills area right up to the coast can't exist without massive state and national gov't capital inflows. Taking government cash is nothing new for the area.

studyguy

There's something to be said about having empathy for the bluecollar workers out in the rust belt or similar areas that have been devastated by industries leaving. Even if the answers are stopgap solutions working towards something better that still seems kinder than outright lying to these people and saying they'll return to form 100% with one simple trick (THE POLITICIANS HATE HIM!).

I don't really know what the answer is to those white rural towns where they're all out of work, whether it be educating older workforces or granting some kind of incentives to outside businesses coming in... Eh shit's in a bad way but puffing them up with BS seems so much worse.

Too late Christie, your political career is over, the Hail Mary was batted down at the line of scrimmage. You will forever be remembered as the stoogiest stooge of the worst Presidential candidate of at least recent history.

Guys... its close to happening
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has one of his slimmest leads yet over Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in Texas, 41 percent to 38 percent, according to a new poll among registered voters. Trump’s support falls within the survey’s margin of error, which is plus- or minus 3 percent, meaning the race is a statistical dead heat.

http://m.chron.com/news/politics/te...rump-beating-Clinton-by-3-percent-9980688.php

Can someone swap Winnie's face with Hillary to the gif below?
winnie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom