• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Speaking of...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ne-Cortez-Masto-jumps-into-the-lead-in-Nevada

Until recently, most polls of the Nevada Senate race showed Republican Joe Heck with a small but consistent lead over Democrat Catherine Cortez Masto. But last week, two Democratic surveys (one from PPP and another from Clarity Campaign Labs) gave Cortez Masto a small edge, though a GOP poll had Heck up 47-44. And now, over the last few days three more polls have dropped, and they show the contest no worse than tied for Team Blue.

A CBS/YouGov poll has the Senate contest deadlocked 39-39, while Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 46-40 in the Silver State. However, YouGov says that the undecideds in the Senate race favor Clinton 47-30, so Cortez Masto ought to have more room to grow. Meanwhile, a poll from a Republican pollster, JMC Analytics, conducted for Las Vegas' CBS affiliate, has Cortez Masto up 41-36 as Clinton leads 43-41. Very few polls have shown Cortez Masto running ahead of Clinton, but a CNN/ORC survey finds a similar result as JMC. Their poll has Cortez Masto up 52-45, while Clinton leads just 46-44 with likely voters.

Terrible idea. Democrats get nothing from McMullin winning and if Hillary is close enough they should vote for her.

McMullin winning makes it a lot harder for trump to win, while it doesnt really hurt hillary much since people werent expecting her to win there in the first place

Joeytj

Banned

Oh jojo. This probably confirms that Hillary will be back in attack mode like in the first debate.

Donald Trump will still attack Hillary, but all Hillary needs to do is hit back and that will be enough to deflate his supporters' enthusiasm.

McMullin winning makes it a lot harder for trump to win, while it doesnt really hurt hillary much since people werent expecting her to win there in the first place

I mean, this right here, kind of difficult to misunderstand this. Also, the humiliation angle is nice too. (and Hillary won't win)

The only thing McMullin can do is send the determination to the House and Trump wins if that happens. Hillary either gets 270 EVs or she loses, McMullin winning Utah doesn't help (or hurt) her in the slightest.

The model-logic doesn't follow though. If Trump needed UT 6 EVs to clinch, that means he wins almost all the swing-states, including FL, CO, and PA.

It's a blow to GOP psyche's but strategically Clinton would have to be experiencing such an unprecedented electoral meltdown, that UT wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things

McMullin winning Utah doesn't hurt Trump mathematically at all. It still keeps Clinton's numbers down. If she doesn't get to 270 it goes to the House who will pick Trump. Losing Utah does humiliate Trump, which is always nice.

No it doesn't. The only thing McMullin can do it send the determination to Congress and Trump wins if that happens. Hillary gets 270 or loses, McMullin winning Utah doesn't help (or hurt) her in the slightest.

All it is doing is splitting the trump vote. Hillary already has an easy path to 270 and well beyond that, and it doesn't involve Utah at all. If half the hard red states in the south went mcmullin, it wouldn't stop hillary from getting to 270 at all. It would just be dividing trump's EV's up.

If swing states states like Ohio or florida went third party, or if there were BOTH hard red and hard blue states going third party, i would see your point. But the only one this is hurting is trump whenn hard red states are going third party.

studyguy

Who the hell was figuring Utah into Clinton's path for victory before this election, come on guys. No one that's who. Literally no one. Calling a loss there a strike against her is silly. It wasn't going blue in the first place.

The model-logic doesn't follow though. If Trump needed UT 6 EVs to clinch, that means he wins almost all the swing-states, including FL, CO, and PA.

It's a blow to GOP psyche's but strategically Clinton would have to be experiencing such an unprecedented electoral meltdown, that UT wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things

a healthy reminder to just how minuscule a path to the white house trump actually has.

Considering Trump cannot afford to lose any reliably Republican state to win, I don't see how you say losing Utah doesn't hurt him at all.

Because it's how the electoral college works. Denying your opponent doesn't help you, you either clear the threshold of 270 or not. And Hillary loses if it goes to the House.

So basically y'all are saying that it doesnt hurt trump cause its impossible for him to win anyways?

studyguy

So basically y'all are saying that it doesnt hurt trump cause its impossible for him to win anyways?

For real, if we're worried about UT then something is already massively fucked in the Clinton camp. Yall are crazy worrying about McMuffins in Utah. Dems should do their best, but by all measures they're already doing damage there.

Obama laid out the bait. Let's see if The Donald responds

Obama's in Trump's OODA-loop like
giphy_9.gif

syllogism

Those McMullin electors could vote for Clinton over McMullin or Trump in case neither gets to 270. Not that there is a scenario in which McMullin wins Utah and Clinton doesn't get to 270.

Syncytia

Because it's how the electoral college works. Denying your opponent doesn't help you, you either clear the threshold of 270 or not. And Hillary loses if it goes to the House.

Utah is so solid R that in a normal year no one would be even taking anything from Utah into account. Utah House goes R whether or not Trump is running, whether or not McMuffin is running.

Hillary doesn't need Utah to win. Trump needs every red state and then some to win. If Utah doesn't go Trump it's a loss for Trump. The EV is not close enough for this to matter.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is not a slight against AndyD, but tbis argument assumes that miners/oil field workers are morons.

I refuse to believe they don't understand that gutting EPA has externalities and losses to quality of life for them and their kids. I'm willing to believe they don't weigh them as more important than dangerous, and somewhat good-paying jobs. But those costs will be paid by the States and Federal taxpayers, eventually.

Working at Rockey Flats may have been good work, or blowing up mountaintops for fun an profit. But the cost in SuperFund cleanup, or permanently ruined river valleys ain't cheap.

No offense taken.

But living and working in Tennessee and having relatives and friends in rural Alabama, I can tell you that the bolded statement above is entirely true. They are not idiots, they largely agree that huge environmental disasters are dangerous to ecosystems, but in my experience they see small impacts as the cost of doing business and largely as collateral damage to having solid paying jobs that can maintain a family and a small town for life like it has for generations.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Because if neither candidate gets 270 then Trump wins, so electoral votes that go to neither candidate still help him.
While I get what you're both saying, it sounds like you're placing Utah in an electoral college victory path for Hillary. In almost every scenario she would have passed the 270 EV threshold before winning Utah.

Grief.exe

Why do we keep discussing what would happen if neither candidate gets to 270.

Is it just for fun? Hillary is going to be closer to 370 than 270 electoral votes.

Hazmat

While I get what you're both saying, it sounds like you're placing Utah in an electoral college victory path for Hillary. In almost every scenario she would have passed the 270 EV threshold before winning Utah.

That's not what people are saying, people are pointing out that McMullin taking Utah doesn't help Clinton. It doesn't hurt her if you think she was never going to win, but the point is that denying Trump those electoral votes doesn't put Clinton any closer to the Presidency. Saying that is to correct people who don't understand that if no one gets to 270 then it goes to the House, which is a Trump win (thus making McMullin winning a wash for Trump and for Hillary, it's not bad for him or good for her).

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Hillary’s Aides Urged Her to Take Foreign Lobbyist Donation And Deal With Attacks:
Wikileaks: Hillary's Aides Urged Her to Take Foreign Lobbyist Donation And Deal With Attacks
newsninja2012.com
Oct 18, 2016, 2:05 PM from Colorado Springs, CO

Wtf is newsninja?

Slacker

My vote for tweet of the day:

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro 2m2 minutes ago
I guess the most dangerous place in Arizona is between John McCain and whatever is as far away as possible from a camera.

I guess it kind of makes sense if you approach it in the way that utah going third party makes it possible for no one to get 270 if hillary doesnt do as well as we hope she will. And then thats an actual path to victory for trump (which he doesn't have right now). While if she won utah, as the polls are very close there apparently, then that path to victory for trump is no longer there.

Zukkoyaki

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Hillary’s Aides Urged Her to Take Foreign Lobbyist Donation And Deal With Attacks:
Wikileaks: Hillary's Aides Urged Her to Take Foreign Lobbyist Donation And Deal With Attacks
newsninja2012.com
Oct 18, 2016, 2:05 PM from Colorado Springs, CO

Wtf is newsninja?

How long until MIMIC makes a thread about this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because if neither candidate gets 270 then Trump wins, so electoral votes that go to neither candidate still help him.

The House isn't gonna vote for Trump in that circumstance. I think they'd be more likely to just vote for Johnson or McMullin. They don't have any kind of control over Trump, something this election cycle has made readily apparent.

Anno

My vote for tweet of the day:

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro 2m2 minutes ago
I guess the most dangerous place in Arizona is between John McCain and whatever is as far away as possible from a camera.

Josh in general has been my Twitter MVP for the election cycle. That and the meteor or comet or whatever it is.

Syncytia

Their site refuses to load for me so who knows about this poll.... from Az HighGround.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/10/17/new-arizona-poll-mccain-up-by-10-clinton-edges.html

Oct. 14, 400 voters, MoE 4.8

Clinton 38.5
Trump 36.5
Johnson 8.3
Stein 2.5
Undecided 14.2

McCain 45.3
Kirkpatrick 35.5

Their Twitter also has Prop 205 to legalize marijuana passing by 4 points.

I'm tempted to donate to Kirkpatrick but I don't know. She's just been so far behind and I don't think anything will hurt McCain enough. Although previous polls (all before the pussy tape) has him at least 15 points up...

So then it doesn't matter either way, which means we shouldn't pump up McMullin, since that'll only increase Republican turnout and hurt our chances down-ballot. Losing Utah doesn't hurt Trump's chances in the slightest. And he will have plenty to be embarrassed about on Nov 8 without us needing this extra schadenfreude.

Slow news hour, huh.

UT doesn't help or hurt anyone in a practical sense. McMullin winning is just embarrassing for Trump, and also might signal to the GOP it's a state they have to worry about if they try this shit again in 2020.

The House isn't gonna vote for Trump in that circumstance. I think they'd be more likely to just vote for Johnson or McMullin. They don't have any kind of control over Trump, something this election cycle has made readily apparent.

They're terrified of Trump's base and it's not as if the House lacks for those sympathetic to Trump. They'll take Trump and complete control of the government over fighting a civil war for McMullin. The House stealing the election from Trump is just another #nevertrump fantasy.

So then it doesn't matter either way, which means we shouldn't pump up McMullin, since that'll only increase Republican turnout and hurt our chances down-ballot. Losing Utah doesn't hurt Trump's chances in the slightest. And he will have plenty to be embarrassed about on Nov 8 without us needing this extra schadenfreude.

Exactly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Considering Trump cannot afford to lose any reliably Republican state to win, I don't see how you say losing Utah doesn't hurt him at all.

In the event that no candidate gets 270 Electoral Votes, the House of Representatives picks the president. They will vote for Trump because the GOP controls the majority of states in the House.

Clinton wins if she gets 270+ Electoral Votes.
Trump wins if Clinton does not get 270+ Electoral Votes.

You could have a scenario where Clinton gets denied 270 EV's, and somehow McMullin or Johnson somehow also deny Trump 270 EV's. In that scenario, Trump still wins. This is why any vote for a third party or independent is effectively a vote for Trump. Third parties only hurt Clinton, not Trump.

I don't think anyone seriously doubts that. The point is that Trump needs to lose in such a way that it salts the earth for any who would follow in his footsteps. The GOP needs to be shown what happens when they allow vile, bigoted pieces of shit to represent them, and anything short of a curbstomping will let the next Trump get up and double down. It has to leave conservatives in this country so embarassed that Trump becomes a boogieman Republicans tell their grandkids about.

This! So much this! Fucking bury him!! Get fucked Trump!

He needs to get so utterly clobbered, becoming a political pariah so that anyone left supporting him is ostracized as well, hopefully completely fracturing the party. In the wreckage, there will be the smaller Alt-right, and a more moderate GOP, if you can call them that as they haven't been moderate in over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom