• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Man "drain the swamp" isn't exactly the kind of messaging metaphor you want to use-sounds like you're some kind of ruthless developer murdering pristine wildlife habitat.

It's a common phrase used by the right. Ben Carson used it constantly during the primaries as well.

I had no idea that Stein did music. And surprisingly good music at that. I'll have to go track down some of her albums.

Although this didn't really change my stance. Moreso just solidified my thoughts that Gary Johnson is not a good public speaker.
Stein's signature plan (eliminating student debt via quantitative easing) would destroy the economy, full stop.

She is a shyster and does not deserve your vote.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I had no idea that Stein did music. And surprisingly good music at that. I'll have to go track down some of her albums.

Although this didn't really change my stance. Moreso just solidified my thoughts that Gary Johnson is not a good public speaker.

You what now?

Is it possible for someone to have worse taste than Adam?

johnsmith

remember me

That was not good music.

He really needs to see a psychiatrist for... well, just about everything, but also this genuine complex he has about sleeping where he thinks it's strange and bad. He barely sleeps as it is, and he only wants to sleep in his own tower. Did something happen to him as a kid? Did he wake up with a bug on his face and he's been traumatized by sleep ever since?

Wilsongt

Is there no way the justice department can take a lawnmower to congress and some people in the media actively asking Russia to hack Clinton and sway the election?

He wants a constitutional amendment to limit terms on congress. That's...not crazy, amazingly.

They are actually terrible. Further promotes kick-the-can behavior, increases ideological divisions, and breaks apart relationships that can be used to get compromise legislation passed.

If people are worried their representatives aren't in tune with their needs, they should look at fixing gerrymandering and public funding, not term limits.

It's crazy in the sense that passing any constitutional amendment in this political climate is virtually impossible.

It's one of those folksy "common sense" propositions that polls well, until it comes times to retire YOUR Congressperson.

I'm embarrassed everytime I hear an otherwise informed, intelligent person use it.

I never said the logistics of passing it were easy, but the idea merits consideration.

No, it's a bad idea. It's been terrible for states that have implemented it.

Eliminates accountability. Removes good legislators with experience and actually like the job and care about legislative governance. Job becomes nothing more than a launching platform for wannabes.

KyroLen

Neo Member
Is he still harping about rigged election?

This shit isn't cool, he's talking about illegal immigrants voting, and I would not be at all surprised if his extreme and bigoted base were to attack some minority thinking that they are here illegally and have no right to vote.

This legit pisses me off, these ignorant morons think this is rigged and he keeps fueling that fire. And they keep making threats against Hillary and people that will be going to vote for her, I swear I best not see anyone at my polling place trying to intimidate voters for this orange asshole because I will absolutely snap on them.

I never said the logistics of passing it were easy, but the idea merits consideration.

We've debated it for like 200 years, its been implemented in some states and it sucks, and is antidemocratic .

Name me a state that has legislative term limits that functions well.

California is perhaps the only one but I'd argue term limits there are a mess and their whole putting everything to a publicite, ugh

kevin1025

Banned
He's now doing the Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite speech.

"You have 21 days to make every dream you've ever dreamed for your family, for your grandchildren, for your children, for yourself, for your country, to come true."

Kusagari

I find it funny Trump just constantly brags about ICE endorsing him. I guarantee most people have no idea what the hell hes talking about when he says it. He never gives context to what ICE is.

Joeytj

Banned
What? Why would it destroy the economy?

You can't just make debt disappear, basic finance. Like John Oliver explained on Sunday, it's voodoo economics. Stein blabs about the Fed printing money in order to liquidate student debt, but that's nonsense.

Somebody will have to pay for those billions of dollars in student debt, and it either has to be the government, banks or someone, but that money owed won't just go away.

Bronx-Man

Banned
]I had no idea that Stein did music. And surprisingly good music at that.[/b] I'll have to go track down some of her albums.

No offense to Jill because if making music is one of her passions then that's awesome, but those songs sounded like leftover Evanescence b-sides.

Battlechili

Banned
Based on the video shared, if I understood it correctly, I believe it would involve her essentially creating money that doesn't exist, thus devaluing the dollar.

At least, that seems to be the argument against her stance on solving student debt.
No offense to Jill because if making music is one of her passions then that's awesome, but those songs sounded like leftover Evanescence b-sides.
But I like Evanescence...

I'd be worried more about national security with Jill Stein than the economy, especially as that is where she could have profound influence.

Cyanity

Banned
Based on the video shared, if I understood it correctly, I believe it would involve her essentially creating money that doesn't exist, thus devaluing the dollar.

At least, that seems to be the argument against her stance on solving student debt.But I like Evanescence...

That doesn't just *seem* to be the argument. That is 100% the argument. Eliminating student debt by printing money would tank our economy faster than Trump's tax cuts.

I think Oliver is wrong on this point. She can't destroy the economy by forgiving student debt through quantitative easing.

The reason being is that you can't use quantitative easing to eliminate student debt.

What was obvious is she doesn't know what quantitative easing actually is. I guess if she attempted it, she could hurt the economy. It could actually help, though the Fed is pretty much at its limits with it. If she did it a huge amount she hurt the economy.

All the while, student debt would go no where.

The general idea is the Jill Stein is a wackjob moron and anything she'd do is so stupid that the sum of all the parts would be a nation's economy being destroyed and that is largely correct.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Amy Lee has some serious pipes. Jill Stein does not...

Didnt ICE come out and also say "no we didnt"?

I'm going to use this comment as a springboard for something i've been thinking all year,but since I just got here, I can't make a thread.

Since it looks like Clinton is ready to schlong Donny Baby-Hands, I want to get a jump on the inevitable post-election navel gazing.

It's become obvious that US media, especially political media, is unwilling, or unable to deal with a demagogue who lies so much, and so fast that it overwhelms their ability to react in the interest of voters. Billions in unearned media for a fascist clown have been expended and I feel as though we're even less informed of the problems and issues that face us.

What can realistically be done to effect real change in how we learn about our leaders and their positions? Is there any way to ignite interest in changing the way we discuss politics, or is this really the sickening pinnacle of media-saturated, click-bait American politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom