• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOP congressman on Clinton: 'A lady needs to be told when she's being nasty' https://t.co/O2fTVZE6tt

Oh my...

Rep_Brian_Babin_Facebook_800x430.png

Florida early voting doesn't open until the 24th in my area.

I'm witnessing Trump supporters putting up signs on front of businesses that are pro Clinton right now. What a waste of card board.

Store manager said that he doesn't even want to recycle it, just throw it away...since they've been here before.

Sobriquet

Voted yesterday in NC! #ImWithHer #OneTermPat

I thought it would be a big weight off of my shoulders to finally get my vote in, but now I wait... 😬

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Chris Savage
‏@Eclectablog

GOP candidate in MI-01 Jack Bergman admits he's been living in Louisiana through at least last spring

Wow. Class act there.

Vox has a pretty decent analysis of how Hillary turned Donald into a blubbering mess in the 3 debates - something 16 other Republicans were not able to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlLFTI24Qkw

haven't read the article, but a few things, Hillary had a slight advantage being the only other person on stage with him. And the audience for the general is much different than the primary. Those blubberings played with the republican base.

Whooo!

Go Mainites (Mainers? Mainiacs?)

Help us take down the Orange Menace and we can forget about that whole LePage thing

Lots of people call us "Mainiacs". We generally call ourselves "Mainers."

When you read from the book of the dead, the demons who rise from earth are called "Mainites." People who are similar to Maine are "Mainly" and Paul LePage is a "Mainstrocity."

We tend to go by Mainers or Maine-ah.

I'm just super impressed with how Mainers have lost so much in the way of industry and the brain-drain, but have resisted falling into self-destructive pits of angry conservatism, as Ohio and Northern Michigan have.

Any guess on why, or am I off base here?

I saw this was from an interview on the Alan Colmes show, which made me wonder: who is Alan Colmes's audience these days?
His whole schtick was to be a liberal weenie strawman for Hannity to punch around. I'm surprised this isn't more widespread knowledge but I've talked to several Republicans who totally bought it.

I'm just super impressed with how Mainers have lost so much in the way of industry and the brain-drain, but have resisted falling into self-destructive pits of angry conservatism, as Ohio and Northern Michigan have.

Look who they elected and then reelected as Governor.

It depends entirely on where you live. Southern Maine is still liberal, but northern Maine is decreasingly so other than its city-sized bastions. I have seen it speculated that, other than being a tourist destination, southern Maine is more liberal because they are able to leave the state more easily and frequently. People in Ohio, for example, are trapped there forever and it is impossible to leave.

This is due to the Dem base being split, which is more of a warning to Bernie dead-enders and Dr. WiFi fans. Their Senator Angus King is a Dem-leaning Indy, so it's just part of the culture I suppose

Yup. We have a question on the ballot that is trying to prevent this from happening again. It is not good democracy when 61% of voters did not vote for the winner.

His whole schtick was to be a liberal weenie strawman for Hannity to punch around. I'm surprised this isn't more widespread knowledge but I've talked to several Republicans who totally bought it.
So you're saying there are *liberals* who like him? Wild. I remember in Franken's book he would write "Hannity and Colmes" with Colmes in tiny font. Does he still pop up on Fox?

Yup. We have a question on the ballot that is trying to prevent this from happening again. It is not good democracy when 61% of voters did not vote for the winner.
I'd really like to see some states experiment with instant runoff voting. I know Minneapolis and some other cities have already implemented it in local elections, but its impact will be understated until it's in effect for statewide contests.

I see question 5 would institute this in Maine - good. LePage is an absolute disgrace.

So you're saying there are *liberals* who like him? Wild. I remember in Franken's book he would write "Hannity and Colmes" with Colmes in tiny font. Does he still pop up on Fox?
Oh I've never talked to a liberal who liked him, but then again I don't think I've ever talked to a liberal about him. I can't imagine many liberals wanting to watch Fox News solely for Colmes' input.

Actually a cousin of mine is pretty neutral politically and likes watching cable news for shits and giggles, he mentioned once how his favorite thing on Fox was watching Colmes fold like a cheap lawn chair at every argument. So blatant.

sazzy

just saw a new donald ad on cnn...

calling out hillary for the super predator/basement dweller/deplorables comments.

Wonder what's up with Nevada

Don't they like La Hillary

I know that a large portion of the service-indstry is unionized in Vegas, and they have guaranteed time-off for voting. Maybe they don't want to leave that benefit on the table and are going to vote on Election day?

Wow. This makes me giddy.

@jonathankappler:
Aww shit.

Who will the other ones be then? Guessing Murphy (Obama went in hard on Rubio and this might be their last shot), McGinty, Hassan and Cortez-Masto.

It would hurt Bayh and Kander more than it would help, and while I could see him helping out Duckworth (it's his home state and former seat) and Feingold I would hope Democrats know well enough to focus their efforts elsewhere.

Like all the Trump campaign's efforts, it appeals only to the base.

Trump now has 5 pollsters on the payroll, I assume they're seeing that some portion (largish?) of the remaining "undecided" voters are Bernie fans and they're trying to push them towards 3rd party, or to stay home? It's not geared towards bringing them on-board, so that's my only guess

HylianTom

Banned
Washington Post just put up the article:
-- POTUS will appear in closing TV spots for at least five Senate candidates and radio ads for two more: Florida’s Patrick Murphy, California's Kamala Harris, North Carolina's Deborah Ross, Pennsylvania's Katie McGinty, and Illinois’ Tammy Duckworth. He's on radio for Nevada's Catherine Cortez Masto and New Hampshie's Maggie Hassan.

The spot running for Murphy features Obama speaking directly to the camera in Spanish. He carried the Sunshine State twice and narrowly won in 2012 because of strong voter registration among Puerto Ricans. Marco Rubio's narrow lead can be chalked up, in part, to the fact he is over-performing Trump among Hispanics. "Gracias, amigos," the commander-in-chief signs off at the end:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...00e9b69b640f54c6ac/?wpisrc=nl_daily202&wpmm=1

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey of Likely U.S. Voters finds Trump with a 43% to 41% lead over his Democratic rival. Five percent (5%) favor Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, while Green Party nominee Jill Stein earns three percent (3%) support. Another three percent (3%) like some other candidate, and five percent (5%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Rest the Rassss for the weekend, it'll be back on Monday.

They're not the only ones calling that pollster suspect.
They're not calling it suspect, they go beyond that. We need another poll out of NH.

Uh, I grew up in the liberal part of the state, but I would say there is a lot of hope in southern Maine. Portland is one of my favorite cities, it has great food, has high walkability, so much good, local beer, and it has an interesting art/local scene. It is a lot like a smaller version of Portland, OR and Seattle.

The state has a great natural beauty (unlike Ohio, sorry Adam), you can ski, enjoy the lakes, rivers, and ocean, and there are great state and national parks like Baxter and Acadia.I would say a lot of people I grew up with moved out of the state, but are looking to comeback and raise families there 5-10 years down the line.

Northern Maine is a little different, but its population isn't significant enough to make a real difference. There is still plenty of active industry up there in agriculture (potatoes, asparagus, blueberries, seafood) and paper goods/logging. It isn't as red as some other more rural areas of the country. It definitely has stagnated though, I think they need to make Bangor into more of a destination like Portland has become so they have something closer to a cultural place to go and identify with.

In all these analysis, I'm always struck at the charts on age. Despite a larger uptick in requests from <30yo, they're much slower in returning them compared to older folks.

Whats up with that?

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of the requests from young people come from campus drives, and a lot of students just say yes to end the conversation and keep walking. So you end up requesting ballots for people that probably wouldn't vote anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom