• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-iowa-hillary-clinton-campaign-sees-a-possible-opening-1477054806

CvS4EZ7UIAAMZGt.jpg

This country...I can't even.

Hazmat

I'm not so confident... the senators won't care what the rest of the country thinks, only their base, and I imagine their base will want them to do everything in their power to keep the SCOTUS from swinging to the left. They'll just make up another excuse, or say they don't think Hillary is "qualified" to make the decision due to Benghazi, e-mails, etc.

You realize that you're describing a scenario where no party will confirm any appointments ever, right? The Democrats can't let Republicans not confirm any justices for their Presidents and then confirm all the open seats for a Republican President. They'd have to do it too.

I have to imagine they confirm Garland in a lame duck session because it's the best they'll get and it removes an opportunity for the hated Clinton to get the spotlight appointing one on her first day in office and then being able to campaign on it in 4 years. Then she'll likely get to only replace liberal justices unless one of the conservatives dies, and they'll let her do it.

Garland strikes me as a terrific choice. Being liberal is not the goal, being a thoughtful judge with critical thinking, institutional and legal experience, and compassion is. Garland hits all those buckets.

Agreed. Garland is qualified and despite not being a liberal wet dream is still a far cry better than the man he's replacing.

Besides, keeping his nomination is just going to make the GOP look like an even bigger bunch of fools when they accept his nomination in the lame duck.

We need a balanced court. Adding a moderate to slight right leaning judge now means it will be easier to add a more liberal judge later (and there will be another one in the next four years)

edit - also it would be incredibly rude to Garland if the dem party just dumped him like a pawn the second Hillary gets in. That's bad optics all around.

Garland knew this was a part of the game. His feelings won't be hurt. If Hillary wins I would hope that Obama withdraws his name. The temptation of having three SC judges appointed during his presidency will be great, and obviously it's Obama's right to appoint this judge...but I prefer the "fuck you" message it would send by withdrawing him. Especially since democrats will take the senate.

Voters have not punished republicans for their obstruction and this WH didn't either (when it had the chance). There should be consequences, and in this case it should be a liberal judge in his/her 40s or 50s.

Blader

Garland is an excellent choice. And he's liberal enough and such a contrast from Scalia that it will dramatically change the tone of the SC.

Too bad Roberts isn't very old at all. It would have been nice to change the Chief Justice during the next 8 years. Although is Roberts even all that bad?

Only if you consider a 40-year crusade against the Voting Rights Act bad!

Teggy

Andrea Mitchell fucking up and not realizing she is talking about a voter suppression case in North Carolina, not Ohio. Terrible.

Edit: actually, the picture they put up on the screen has something to do with Ohio, but the recent case was NC.

From canvassing for Angie Craig for a few weeks (which I've stopped doing btw because oh my god it's the shittiest job ever) I can say this is 100% true. I don't think I've ever seen a woman speak on behalf of her husband but men do it all the time.

when I canvassed here in NC I saw the same, with the exception being African-American households where I saw it much less often.

Andrea Mitchell fucking up and not realizing she is talking about a voter suppression case in North Carolina, not Ohio. Terrible.

Edit: actually, the picture they put up on the screen has something to do with Ohio, but the recent case was NC.

Mitchell's brain just shuts down around anything Clinton related. I feel like there is some seething animosity between her/Greenspan and the Clintons.

Someday we'll find out that Hillary ran over Mitchell's cat in 1986 or something. It's pathological at this point.

Armaros

Mitchell's brain just shuts down around anything Clinton related. I feel like there is some seething animosity between her/Greenspan and the Clintons.

Someday we'll find out that Hillary ran over Mitchell's cat in 1986 or something. It's pathological at this point.

I called her Andrea Emails during the primary, she could not talk about Hillary at all at any point without bringing up Emails.

Now its Andrea Wikileaks.

Trump used money from his foundation to pay O'Keefe to make a doctored video for him!? And then references said video in the debate?

Did I read that right? It can't be. If you'd wrote that into a movie, you'd get laughed at for being too unrealistic!

sazzy

I want someone to ask people at a Donald rally "what are the 33000 emails that Donald keeps talking about?" and see what they say.

Wilsongt

Weeks after the Republican National Committee deployed a Willie Horton-style attack on Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine, a Republican congressional candidate in Wisconsin is using the widely decried tactic as well.

In a new ad, Mike Gallagher, the Republican candidate in Wisconsin’s 8th congressional district, smears Democratic candidate Tom Nelson for voting in favor of a program that gives the Department of Corrections the authority to grant early release to inmates convicted of misdemeanors or nonviolent felonies.

In truth, serious crime in the region around Green Bay — the largest city in the eighth district — hit a half-decade low this summer.

But Gallagher, a former marine who served as foreign policy aide to Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) during his presidential run, tries to link Nelson to the nonexistent crime wave by fear-mongering about convicts who were released early.

Lord Jesus help me.

Trump used money from his foundation to pay O'Keefe to make a doctored video for him!? And then references said video in the debate?

Did I read that right? It can't be. If you'd write that into a movie, you'd get laughed at for being too unrealistic!

I wasn't surprised Trump paid for the O'Keefe video, I was surprised he was dumb enough to use the Foundation to do it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obama isn't going to withdraw Garland, and I doubt the lame duck session will confirm him.

I also think Hillary withdrawing him to nominate her own justice isn't that big a deal, since it's her prerogative as president to nominate whomever she wants. Keeping him as the nominee isn't necessarily a bad move either though. I'm kind of up in the air on this one.

I don't think she has to withdraw him, I think she can just nominate someone else if they don't ever confirm him and say that it expired with Obama's term.

this is a theory that I have been pondering whenever Conservatives talk about secret Trump voters in Liberal cities.

Trump voters are loud. Hillary voters are silent.

I agree with that example you posted, there are many married women who will be voting for Hillary without telling their Trump supporting husbands

Trying to speculate about secret voters never goes anywhere good.

Iolo

It would not surprise me if the DDoS on DNS today was orchestrated by the Hillary campaign to prevent discussion of #PodestaEmails14.

DrMungo

this is a theory that I have been pondering whenever Conservatives talk about secret Trump voters in Liberal cities.

Trump voters are loud. Hillary voters are silent.

I agree with that example you posted, there are many married women who will be voting for Hillary without telling their Trump supporting husbands

Anecdotally, I know a lot of Hillary supporters tend to be the people with work or school and possibly kids at home. THey have no time for any foolishness on Facebook or twitter, typing out diatribes.

I know of people avoiding putting up their Clinton/Kaine yard signs for fear of it getting stolen or other vandalism. (We had our sign stolen as well. I also found a sign tossed in a park trash can, which I took home and put it back up in my yard. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom