• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Republicans have to fold eventually.
There's no fucking way they hold for that long. McCain backed off when he got shit on about the stonewalling comments earlier in the week, granted he's in a race and has to be chickenshit but lord I can't see them hold for years and coming out clean.

This also jives with what we know about the GOP efforts being stronger in IA than almost anywhere else.Thanks for the read-good stuff there.
They're barely outpacing 2012, a year in which Romney's campaign/Republicans didn't really take early voting seriously. Being able to match that when Republicans are floundering miserably in other states speaks to having some semblance of a ground game I suppose, but still not a very good one.

Can the republicans do anything to block the SCJ nomination if the democrats control the senate?
Filibuster - SCOTUS justices still need 60 votes.

Assuming Schumer doesn't nuke it.

Has anyone hosted an election night party? I'm considering throwing one. What did you do, how did it go?

I did in '12. It was a bunch of political nerds staring at screens while eating pizza and drinking booze/smoking weed. Good times. Can't do it this time due to the wife and kids. :-/

They're barely outpacing 2012, a year in which Romney's campaign/Republicans didn't really take early voting seriously. Being able to match that when Republicans are floundering miserably in other states speaks to having some semblance of a ground game I suppose, but still not a very good one.

Filibuster - SCOTUS justices still need 60 votes.

Assuming Schumer doesn't nuke it.

He better nuke it. I think most Dems know the GOP will nuke it the moment they get all 3 branches anyways.

Dinesh D'SouzaVerified account
‏@DineshDSouza
Obama's dad dumped him at birth & his mom got rid of him at age 10--did they know something we didn't when we signed up for this guy?

Wow, guy deserves a beating.

Grief.exe

That's why you hack the tabulating computers and not the voting machines.

The backup contingency for that is they are still stored on the actual voting machines themselves and can be checked, further backup contingency would be the actual paper ballots in the machines.

Surprisingly, our voting system is actually relatively secure as the majority of the country still utilizes paper ballots.

thefro

This also jives with what we know about the GOP efforts being stronger in IA than almost anywhere else.Thanks for the read-good stuff there.

It's not surprising that the IA Republican party has a competent ground game considering how the whole caucus process is every 4 years.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A Fox question, the same kind of questions that serve to ask 'Why are you not better appealing to Republican sensibilities?'
Most of Wallace's questions were fair, but it very clearly slanted towards the most conservative of issues.
He was also atrocious about asking Trump to actually answer his questions. He'd ask something, let Trump go on a completely unrelated tangent for two minutes and then just move on or make Clinton respond to Trump's non-answer.

Christian

Asked my family if anyone wanted to go to the Clinton/Kaine rally in Pittsburgh tomorrow as a joke, because they're all crazy conservatives. Two people replied thus far:

"No thanks. We are pro life."

"No I don't visit with the devil"

That last one was my mom. Oh, the hilarity.

What's the political advantage to not nuking the filibuster? I see absolutely none.

There isn't one. If the democrats take the house, it's gone.

if the republicans hold on to the house, it will probably live another day though- they won't be able to get anything through the house anyway, and the filibuster will prevent democrats from having to take potentially damaging positions on ridiculous bills that hit the floor.

Loxley

congrats guys. How were the lines?

There was zero line when I went. Aside from a handful of elderly people, it was just my mom and I there. They told us it was way busier this morning before folks had to go to work, but even then I was shocked at how empty it was.

It amazes me every day that Trump is promoting himself as the law-and-order candidate when he's hired Roger Ailes, Roger Stone, James O'Keefe, Chris Christie, and numerous other criminals and he's probably a tax evader and he gives constant interviews to violent criminal Bill O'Reilly.

Just say "I want the blacks to be put in prison," there's no one in the world who actually believes Trump cares about law and order.

Syncytia

I would like dems to take an angle of attack using all the republicans saying that "I am supporting the republican nominee" in response to "are you supporting Trump"

I suppose many of these people are surrogates and not necessarily elected officials, but I think it would be a good route to take to say "For the GOP it's not about what is right, their morals, or their values. When it comes down to it, the only answer for them is Party over everything."

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
In response to the thread comparing Trump to Brexit...

You know what GAF, other than financially, Brexit isn't that bad. It shouldn't be news to anyone that citizens of island nations could disproportionately have isolationist views.

The problem is that the single market and thus freedom of movement are vital to the UK's economy, and the UK already has a sweetheart deal with the EU, so the advisory vote should be ignored. Brexiters want their cake and to eat it too, but they won't get to.

Don't compare leaving the EU to someone who won't concede defeat in a democracy...

if I could turn back tiiiime

(THESE ARE FROM 2014)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/hillary-clinton-2016-map

The top minds in the proto-Hillary Clinton 2016 campaign infrastructure are already gaming out Electoral College scenarios. What they think they have is a candidate who could compete in a handful of traditionally red states, putting Republicans on the defensive and increasing her chances of winning the White House.

Mitch Stewart, Obama's 2012 battleground state director who is now an independent consultant advising the grassroots group Ready for Hillary, laid out the electoral math to TPM in a recent interview. Clinton will start with Obama's map, he said, and can build from there.

There are two buckets of states potentially in play. Arkansas, Indiana and Missouri comprise one bucket. The first is a somewhat unique case, given Clinton's history there, while the other two were razor-thin in 2008, but the principle is the same: Clinton has a record of appealing to white working-class voters -- especially women -- and they could be enough when paired with the Obama coalition to pull out a win.

"Where I think Secretary Clinton has more appeal than any other Democrat looking at running is that with white working-class voters, she does have a connection," Stewart said. "I think she's best positioned to open those states."

nlpog0qvaiadg1jsdwea.jpg

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...-the-2016-map-and-if-she-does-it-wont-matter/

Arizona and Georgia have long been listed by Democrats as potential pickup opportunities because of each state’s growing racial diversity. And it’s possible they’ll become presidential battlegrounds. But there isn’t any sign that will happen in the next two years.

Voters in Arizona and Georgia leaned more Republican than the nation five years ago, and they continue to do so. If these states were becoming more Democratic, you’d expect at least some movement toward the Democrats in terms of party identification. There hasn’t been any.

And like in the first bucket states, Republicans hold clear majorities in both houses of Arizona and Georgia’s legislatures.

None of this is to say that Clinton can’t win these five states in 2016. But if she does, then chances are she will have already won the White House — Arkansas’s, Indiana’s, Missouri’s, Arizona’s or Georgia’s electoral college votes would be superfluous.

It amazes me every day that Trump is promoting himself as the law-and-order candidate when he's hired Roger Ailes, Roger Stone, James O'Keefe, Chris Christie, and numerous other criminals and he's probably a tax evader and he gives constant interviews to violent criminal Bill O'Reilly.

Just say "I want the blacks to be put in prison," there's no one in the world who actually believes Trump cares about law and order.

Yep. Him, Pence, the Republicans, all believe in continuing the criminalization of black communities and keep them from voting.

I mean, Nixon ran on law and order while simultaneously breaking the law, it's not unprecedented.

Some analysts pretty badly confused Hillary being strong with working class whites with the actual results of racist white Democrats preferring Hillary to a black man in the primaries.

Grief.exe

What's the political advantage to not nuking the filibuster? I see absolutely none.

Safeguards if the Republicans ever get into power again, but the point is moot since they will struggle to win a national election barring a complete political shift.

Slayven

Curt Schilling saying he might not run because conservative families are fair game in politics. He also said Mass is more moderate then others believe

TyrantII

Safeguards if the Republicans ever get into power again, but the point is moot since they will struggle to win a national election barring a complete political shift.

Those Safeguard's rely on the majority's whim.

Should the teaparty centric GOP take all three branches of government, does anyone really expect them to keep it around and to let the Democrats block their legislation?

It would be a further right congress than the one that almost nuked the nations finances with the debt ceiling.

Sorry, but I don't think you can rely on norms when the other party has only shown a complete disregard for anything but winning every battle regardless of self harm and factual outcome.

Bowdz

So if Dems sweep NC this year, how much of an impact of will Cooper be able to have on early voting and other voting rights laws for future elections?

That Rudy Giuliani video is so creepy, and it really emphasizes just how easily people like him can legitimately defend people who commit sexual assault when Giuliani does not understand boundaries like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom