• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I feel pretty confident that the second tape will come out on Monday.

Can be the news cycle for the entire week and won't take attention away from Trump's terrible third debate news cycle.

I think it's important to keep in mind that any politician's support is going to be a coalition, and not every part of that coalition is going to see eye-to-eye on everything. Consequently, statements made about part of the coalition are not necessarily applicable to the whole group.

Hillary's support in 2008 among white working class voters in the primary did not translate to especially high support among white working class voters in the 2016 general, and we might think that the same is true of Bernie, i.e. his support among WWC primary voters wouldn't necessarily translate to support among WWC general voters and sexism and racism appear to be tied into that. That's not saying that all of Bernie's supporters are racist or that the white working class in general is racist. Just that elements of his coalition (and Hillary's in 2008) have issues with race.

On the subject of a hypothetical Bernie vs. Trump race, it seems clear to me that Trump is such a trainwreck of a candidate that Bernie should certainly be leading if he were the candidate. I think it's probably true he would fare worse overall, but not enough to make a difference. My concern would be after the election when a big chunk of his supporters would become disillusioned when we couldn't get his proposals through Congress. A similar thing happened with Obama and it played a part in the 2010 disaster.

Pyrokai

Iowa.

CvUtXvoVIAA1ZYI.jpg:large

Is this bad? 0_o

2016. man:

Sean Hannity ‏@seanhannity 1h1 hour ago
In 10 yrs @wikileaks has gotten nothing wrong & no one's been killed bc of the info released. #freejulianassange #freeinternet for all.

I've actually started seeing Murphy commercials(with Obama) again down here in Miami. First time till right before the Dem Primary between him and Grayson.

2016. man:

Sean Hannity ‏@seanhannity 1h1 hour ago
In 10 yrs @wikileaks has gotten nothing wrong & no one's been killed bc of the info released. #freejulianassange #freeinternet for all.

Hannity email leaks in 3...2...1....

Piecake

“They have different things. The — I won’t go into things because my people go crazy,” he said. “They say, ‘Don’t be particular, just’ — I like to deny things. Like, I like to deny — because — but they say, ‘Oh, talk about jobs.’ But these things are so false. All of these things, they’re so false. They’re such lies.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-like-to-deny-things-230163

Truer words have never been spoken by Trump

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppi...lay-for-utah?utm_term=.iwzQmP4VYk#.ijZPn03kWq

SALT LAKE CITY — Hillary Clinton is making an unprecedented play for the deep-red state of Utah in the final weeks of the presidential race, according to sources involved with the effort.

The Clinton campaign — which first opened a bare-bones office in Salt Lake City over the summer — will add five paid staffers to its operation here by early next week, according to a source in the state party. The campaign is also flying surrogates into Utah, and dipping into its war chest to fund advertising and organizing efforts in the state.

The campaign declined to discuss how much money it would invest in Utah, and two sources with knowledge of the strategy said the total sum would be much smaller than its spending in Arizona, another traditionally conservative state that Clinton is hoping to turn blue.

Still, the campaign believes it has a real shot in this unlikeliest of battleground states, said Marlon Marshall, Clinton’s director of state campaigns.

“There is no doubt that Donald Trump’s offensive rhetoric has made Utah more competitive than ever before,” Marshall told BuzzFeed News, adding, “We are going to make investments to talk to voters and win the state of Utah.”

Clinton’s team plans to continue its pitch to the state’s LDS voters in the final weeks of the election. Steve Piece, a Washington-based Democratic strategist who is Mormon, is joining the campaign to run communications in Utah. And this weekend, former Sen. Larry Pressler — a Republican who converted to Mormonism last year — will campaign for Clinton across the state.

At the same time, the Clinton campaign appears determined to rally its progressive base in the state. On Friday afternoon, Gloria Steinem held a rally for Clinton in Salt Lake City.

Eh, I don't think going after Utah is a great idea, primarily because it is not trending blue. If it is its not for a long time. Next election its a a solid Republican state.

Boke1879

Not really. She has the money. I'm sure there are five Democrats in the state who can use a weeks worth of work. No waste.

Agreed. Spend a bit of money. Just test the waters. The fact that Trump has a shot at losing the state says it all. With a bit of effort she could possibly win it. I think it makes a bit more sense to spend a negligible amount of money here than spend a lot in GA at this point, but we'll see.

Not really. She has the money. I'm sure there are five Democrats in the state who can use a weeks worth of work. No waste.

1 - Eyes on the prize.

2 - Utah isn't going to be a battleground state in subsequent elections.

3 - Spend the money consolidating battleground states and future battleground states (Texas, Arizona, Georgia, NC)

4 - IMO, it would be worth it to give McMullin the win to legitimize that faction of the party - the whole "let's work together" thing.

I understand it's cheaper to invest in Utah than Texas, but there's no ROI in the longer run

White working class and/or less educated people are more likely to hold racist and/or sexist and/or homophobic and/or transphobic and/or any other number of bigoted views. News at eleven.

1 - Eyes on the prize.
Do you really think Hillary Fucking Clinton doesn't have her eye on the prize?
Nope, but that's why it's 5 staffers. She's not diverting money to Utah from Georgia. Who cares? Plus, embarrass the fuck out of him and the Republican Party.
3 - Spend the money consolidating battleground states and future battleground states (Texas, Arizona, Georgia, NC)
Five staffers will make no difference in any of these states. This is just a good way to fuck with the GOP, plus, hell, maybe it depresses the Trump turnout and increases the chance that McMuffin can take the state.
4 - IMO, it would be worth it to give McMullin the win to legitimize that faction of the party - the whole "let's work together" thing.
I actually think he's probably going to win too. And, as I said, I'm fine with that.

remind me how many tens of millions of dollars the clinton campaign has on hand

because the comparative pump fake that this utah move represents is gonna take up approximately none of that

Maybe it muddies the waters takes a few votes from Don and McMuffin can take the state.

There is a bigger strategy going on here. I can guarantee her campaign doesn't give a shit about Utah's mighty 6 EVs. This is about taking out Mia Love, who as a Conservative, Black woman is the exact type of candidate the GOP wants to cultivate.

This is obviously a way to both poke the eye of Trump/GOP and to help neutralize a first term representative that may be used as a token character in later years. Even if they don't unseat her, they make the NRCC spend cash defending her, instead of somewhere else.

1 - Eyes on the prize.

I understand it's cheaper to invest in Utah than Texas, but there's no ROI in the longer run
Clinton has like a trillion dollars. I'm pretty sure she could run a 50-state campaign if she really wanted to.

Also a strong investment could help Doug Owens.

NBC Nightly News dragging Trump again. Hit him for the rigged thing. Hit him for going after Michelle Obama. Hit him for fucking up at the dinner last night. They showed people booing Trump.

And now they're being very nice to Hillary. Saying she's winning bigly. That she made moves last night to heal the divides. That Dems are leading the early vote in Ohio 51/38/11. So......good coverage for Queen tonight.

I'm more excited about FFXV than a Dem sweep

Polygon said:
"After all this time, it feels impossible that I’m about to write these words, but here it goes: Final Fantasy 15 is good. In its first 15 hours, at least, it’s very good.

Boke1879

I don't think there could be a bigger wakeup call to the GOP then losing one of their hard safe states.

They would really have to think about their 2020 map

If they lose AZ to Clinton and Utah to a 3rd party candidate they have to know shit is bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom