• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
high voter turnout will absolutely win murphy florida, if likely voter polls are showing a dead heat.

Heavy democratic ground game, plus the massive influx of citizens from puerto rico since 2012 mean democratic support is undercounted there in polling, possibly more than any other state.

Murphy isn't winning the Latino vote with the same margin as Clinton. So it will be very difficult for him.

I think Texas was winnable this year, honestly. The thing was, there just wasn't the ground work put in there to actually carry it. There's not enough time, really. I know there are a few people on the ground, but I just don't think it's going to be enough.

NeoXChaos

You don't know that. Obama wouldn't be going to bat for him this late in the game if he didn't think he had a chance.

I totally understand Dems bailing on Strickland but I think they should have given Murphy more time.

You shut your mouf! Murphy may be a non-descript white guy in a suit, but he's running against a first-term waffling slime-ball who is disliked by a half of his own party, with no legislation to his name

high voter turnout will absolutely win murphy florida, if likely voter polls are showing a dead heat.

Heavy democratic ground game, plus the massive influx of citizens from puerto rico since 2012 mean democratic support is undercounted there in polling, possibly more than any other state.

edit: oh wait, Yougov is english only?? EVEN BETTER

1. so why did DCCC cancel all their ads? 2. Priorities have yet to go and 3. Cesare has informed us he is toast.

4. Murphy isnt winning the Hispanic vote large enough like Hillary.

sazzy

Qe0Cl5.png

Gruco

Banned
Murphy is finished. Stop getting your hopes up.

It's a tougher race than MO or NC, but it's hardly Strickland tier. If Clinton wins Florida bigly, she can still drag him across the finish line. Though, I do agree with the DSCC's and Clinton campaign's resource allocation.

RCP has Murphy -3.8. Franken was -2.8 and won, and that was in a state that the presidential campaign wasn't active in.

Murphy isn't winning the Latino vote with the same margin as Clinton. So it will be very difficult for him.

The latino vote isn't monolithic.

i have no doubt that florida cubans are more positively predisposed to rubio than murphy is.

Puerto ricans though? absolutely not. They vote along the same lines as most other latinos do nationally, with no particular love for Rubio.

But one million Hispanics have come to this state since 2012, most of them Puerto Ricans. Many have settled in the Orlando area — home to Disney World and other theme parks.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/10/in-florida-puerto-ricans-could-help-sway-white-house-race/

Since 2012 there's been a million more latinos moving to Florida. mostly from puerto rico. Few to none of these voters will show up in polling, since by definition they aren't likely voters (never having voted before) and many either speak english as a second language or not at all.

I'm not confident that polling in florida accurately represents latino support because of this- and "ground game" goes pretty far in reaching these voters and turning them out. The DNC is certainly putting the work in to drive out the vote for hillary, running quite a bit in spanish language tv and radio.

It doesn't matter if they're promoting murphy specifically or not, he'll benefit.

1. so why did DCCC cancel all their ads? 2. Priorities have yet to go and 3. Cesare has informed us he is toast.

1.) promoting murphy specifically isn't a good use of funds. You want to drive unlikely voters to the polls, they're not going to get there to vote for a senate candidate. This is all about Trump, Hillary, and the presidential race- and you count on those voters not to ticket split. The democratic senatorial committee is better off spending their money in other races where raising the profile of a stronger senate candidate will make a difference, like NC or PA.

2.) see the above re: latino polling. I have no confidence that traditional polling especially if its english only is capturing any significant portion of the PR vote there.

So apart from getting media attention and riling up his base, what exactly would Trump throwing a hissy fit and suing over a "rigged" election actually accomplish for him? For that matter, how could him throwing a hissy fit delegitimize Hillary's victory when the person handing over the reins is Obama and the only people listening to Trump are whackjobs at this point?

Yougov has Florida Sen at 44-42 Rubio.

I still think this can be done. Someone get Barack back to Florida to yell at Marco some more.

55 seats.

So just want to make sure I understand the Senate potential pick-up list:

Likely:
- Indiana
- Illinois
- Wisconsin
- Pennsylvania

Possible:
- Missouri
- North Carolina
- Florida
- New Hampshire
- Arizona (if only because McCain has pissed off the deplorables)

Wishful thinking:
- Ohio
- Iowa
- Georgia

Ads: Expensive markets and saturation. This is all on the GOTV apparatus now, but Rubio has to rely on the GOP machine which is getting exactly zero help or coattails from their POTUS candidate.

Rubio's baked-in Miami-Dade Cuban machine has been losing steam for 2 years. Plus he has to climb over the Trump-Cuban affair and increasing good-will from third-gen Cubans from normalizing relations with the island.

Add to that the tough to poll nature of Floridian Latinxs, and you've got an upset waiting to happen.

I think Texas was winnable this year, honestly. The thing was, there just wasn't the ground work put in there to actually carry it. There's not enough time, really. I know there are a few people on the ground, but I just don't think it's going to be enough.

I would send a surrogate to spice things up, TBH.

Likely:
- Indiana
- Illinois
- Wisconsin
- Pennsylvania

Possible:
- Missouri
- North Carolina
- Florida
- New Hampshire
- Arizona (if only because McCain has pissed off the deplorables)

Wishful thinking:
- Ohio
- Iowa
- Georgia

McCain isn't losing.

Also Tim Kaine came to Houston about a month ago. I would love to see Michelle come here

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So apart from getting media attention and riling up his base, what exactly would Trump throwing a hissy fit and suing over a "rigged" election actually accomplish for him? For that matter, how could him throwing a hissy fit delegitimize Hillary's victory when the person handing over the reins is Obama and the only people listening to Trump are whackjobs at this point?

Getting a heck of a lot of viewers for his media network.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Will Jordan Verified account
‏@williamjordann

Texas likely voters by age:

65+: Trump +22
45-64: Trump +14
30-44: Clinton +8
18-29: Clinton +21

Texas is definitely in play soon.

McCain isn't losing.

Also Tim Kaine came to Houston about a month ago. I would love to see Michelle come here

McCain will probably win, but we have seen how the deplorables are reacting to anyone that takes back or even seems to take back their endorsements of Trump.

Basically, the slim chance of Kirkpatrick winning relies on record Hispanic turnout, low turnout of moderate republicans, AND enough deplorables refusing to vote for McCain.

Democrats didn't hammer Rubio hard enough on his Trump endorsement, plus Murphy is a flawed candidate to put it lightly. He's going to win enough of the Hispanic vote to beat Murphy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some Trump astroturfer was saying on Reputable Sources that they're doing better in NC and FL early voting than last time. Is that true relative to Democrats or just absolutely (like they have more absentee ballots but are losing by more)? I thought they were getting killed in FL absentee voting and NC too.

McCain isn't losing.

I think it's a waste. Just hammer Arizona. Send Barack out there and Biden. Michelle can go again too. They can really win AZ. Texas is a pipedream.

Gruco

Banned
I would say....

Likely D:
- Illinois
- Wisconsin

These have never been seriously contested.

Lean D:
- Pennsylvania
- Indiana
- New Hampshire
- Nevada (not a pick up)

I would almost be tempted to call these safe. Bayh has had good numbers, and PA, NH and NV just have too heavy headwinds for the R candidate to navigate.

Toss up:
- Missouri
- North Carolina

NC has a strong dem operation and MO has an amazing candidate. I think these can both be done, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Lean R:
- Florida

LOL no:
- Arizona
- Ohio
- Iowa
- Georgia

sazzy

Karl Rove is throwing in the towel.

In an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” the Republican strategist said that Donald Trump’s poll numbers are simply too dismal to end in victory on election night.

“I don’t see it happening,” Rove told Fox. “If he plays an inside straight, he could get it, but I doubt he’s going to be able to play it.”

Rove explained Trump’s electoral vote deficit, swing state by swing state. Mitt Romney only won 206 electoral votes in 2012, and according to Rove’s judgment, Trump can only feel comfortable about 168, with just over two weeks to go before the Nov. 8 election.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/karl-rove-donald-trump-cant-win_us_580cb4c1e4b000d0b15727dc

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Karl Rove has been saying the odds aren't good for trump for a really long time.

NeoXChaos

Democrats didn't hammer Rubio hard enough on his Trump endorsement, plus Murphy is a flawed candidate to put it lightly. He's going to win enough of the Hispanic vote to beat Murphy.

exactly.

Manmademan are you assuming that the Hispanic vote Rubio is getting is going to be lower due to new Hispanics voters not answering polls and/or suppressed Cuban turnout?

Holmes

I'm so proud. It's fun to do something and then see the results.

I believe Dems had a 15 point edge in 2012 first day of early voting but don't quote me on that.
You did this! Clinton will easily win Nevada by a double digit margin. Maybe not 2008 levels though because the housing and economic collapse pushed a lot of people to Obama, but it'll be decisive.

I'm going to be glued to CNN and I hope they have Lewandowski, Lord, Kayleigh, and Scottie all in a room when the results are announced. Oh yeah and I agree Texas is a lost cause, I just want to see someone outside of Trump (which was horrific).

witness

When does early voting in Florida begin. Do we have any results?

Tomorrow! +2 for Hillary and Murphy incoming from my wife and I. So fucking excited, let's go blue 3 times in a row! It'll be amazing because of all the disgusting anti Hillary bumper stickers I see on trucks here in Orlando.

My boss, an executive, is a loud mouthed hardcore alt righter from England (I don't fucking get it either) who loves Trump but luckily she's only a green card holder and can't vote. Her bitter tears on Wednesday will be amazing in our daily morning meeting. She has no idea on my political preferences though since I never discuss politics with her since that would be a train wreck.

Plinko

Raw Story Verified account
‏@RawStory

Jan Brewer: Donald Trump was ‘waterboarded’ by women who accused him of groping

Sure thing, Jan.

I think they now understand they miscalculated. There is a clear schism between Hillary Campaign 2016 and the DSCC. Obama campaigning hard in Florida and grilling Rubes is probably not what DSCC expected. DSCC is just looking at the numbers game, all they need is 50. So in their view. its wise to ditch an expensive Murphy in favor of a cheap Bayh. The presidential campaign however sees Rubio as a clear threat.

Isakson and Barksdale could end up in a runoff. In which case Isakson will probably win, but there is a chance.
Dems would need a hell of a GOTV, though.

As a Georgian I'm not holding my breath, for this race. Our state is plagued by the likes of Erick Erickson and Herman Cain.

I still think Georgia goes blue in the Presidential race by 1-2%. It really depends on the turnout of the metro Atlanta counties. I've been a big believer that if Cobb and Gwinnett go blue, so does the state. Here in Cobb, early voting is up 128% over the same time period in 2012.

Tomorrow! +2 for Hillary and Murphy incoming from my wife and I. So fucking excited, let's go blue 3 times in a row! It'll be amazing because of all the disgusting anti Hillary bumper stickers I see on trucks here in Orlando.

Holla! Way to go fellow Floridian. Let's get this shit done. Next job is to make sure we remove a Republican from the Governor's office, but that's a discussion for another day

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think they now understand they miscalculated. There is a clear schism between Hillary Campaign 2016 and the DSCC. Obama campaigning hard in Florida and grilling Rubes is probably not what DSCC expected. DSCC is just looking at the numbers game, all they need is 50. So in their view. its wise to ditch an expensive Murphy in favor of a cheap Bayh. The presidential campaign however sees Rubio as a clear threat.

I could see that. Rubio's one of the few people I'd be a little afraid of for 2020. Killing his career right here and now brings the 2016 group of republicans that might actually have beaten Hillary down to Kasich, who's never winning the primary.

Kangi

Wait, 16?

Are we really on number 16 with those things

do they think anyone with anything better to do is actually going to trudge through all of these pasta recipes and then decide not to vote for Hillary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom