• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
McCain said they'll reject whoever Hillary picks. Who knows what excuse they'll come up with. But is there a way they can just keep delaying?

Since we are gonna get the Senate almost certainly now, I don't see how. If they try to block a Supreme Court nomination for four more years despite Democratic control of the Senate, they will end up going nuclear and forcing it through. Dems aren't gonna let such an important opportunity go, nor let Republican obstructionism shut down key institutions of our country.

avaya

This is very good news?!

http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

Dems are smashing early vote in NV.

The polling in NV is comedy levels. Always remember Reid against Angle.

Modelling out the raw vote in Clark County is so easy - you have to make some cray cray assumptions for a Dem to lose NV.

Raw vote held up pretty good in 2012 and I think this year we go above and beyond again. The other side simply do not have the numbers to catch up to even a 2012 margin. NV is 1.3 on betfair if anyone is interested - free money.

"We won't approve the supreme court nominees of a criminal."

Yeah, I feel they'd go with a "she's still being investigated!" defense, and make sure Congress is always trying to find something to investigate or uncover, regardless of how frivolous it is. They'll find any reason to deny a SC appointee, even if it means twisting their logic into knots or being just plain hypocritical.

thebloo

From OT

JjkfkBf.png

Veelk

Banned
Since we are gonna get the Senate almost certainly now, I don't see how. If they try to block a Supreme Court nomination for four more years despite Democratic control of the Senate, they will end up going nuclear and forcing it through. Dems aren't gonna let such an important opportunity go, nor let Republican obstructionism shut down key institutions of our country.

How? What does "going nuclear" mean exactly?

I realize they can throw a fit, but do they actually have a way to bypass their obstructionism?

Grexeno

I realize they can throw a fit, but do they actually have a way to bypass their obstructionism?
Ending the filibuster at least for Supreme Court nominees, possibly for everything. It only takes a bare majority to change the rules of the Senate.

We can get rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees. It's the nuclear option, but we will definitely have to do it. As it stands, you need 60 votes for cloture. That's just a senate rule, not an actual law. We can change the senate rules by a majority vote, so that the GOP can't actually block Supreme Court nominations.

OmniOne

A member will motion to use majority rules to vote on the motion to begin debate on the nominee. A majority of members will approve said motion, and then they will begin debate with a majority, instead of a super majority.

Basically the terminology of "going nuclear" is a misnomer. It means the Senate will act with Majority Rule, you know, how most citizens actually incorrectly think it does.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We can get rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees. It's the nuclear option, but we will definitely have to do it. As it stands, you need 60 votes for cloture. That's just a senate rule, not an actual law. We can change the senate rules by a majority vote, so that the GOP can't actually block Supreme Court nominations.

Yep, considering the shit the GOP has gotten away with, they will certainly do the same when they (in 8 to 16 years) win the presidency.

avaya

Yep, considering the shit the GOP has gotten away with, they will certainly do the same when they (in 8 to 16 years) win the presidency.

A GOP in 8-16 years capable of winning the Presidency will not resemble anything of the GOP today. So it'll be fine.

Amir0x

Banned
Cool yourself off Adam. We still got work to do this election. We don't need you distracted from this purpose by glamorous bodyguards to the stars!

Wow, what a day. Hours on the road, finally check in with the goings on, and all this positive news is waiting for me. Now I've got my dog friend to give some belly rubs to, cold beers to drink, a Dolphins win against the Bills and promises of pizza from the wife. Could a Sunday be much better?

200_s.gif

Kangi

There's something in the way either it averages state forecasts, or it possibly tries to extrapolate national #trendz based off of state polls, that causes the model to absurdly overreact to polls from safe blue and safe red states. Sorta like how she only had an 80% chance to win New Jersey at one point.

Amir0x

Banned
Can people summarize the good news. I've been day drinking with friends (had some good jambalaya I really miss new orleans btw)
C +12 in ABC tracking poll.

Extremely promising early voting numbers for Democrats in NC and Nevada. Kellyanne Conway admits her campaign is behind.

Basically game over.

The main two things are a new ABC poll with Hillary +12 and indicating suppressed Republican turnout, and very good early vote numbers in NV.

And PoliGAF fan favorite Jon Ralston says downballot NV numbers look real bad: http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog
Democrats will probably win the Senate race, CD-4, state house and senate and possibly CD-3. Good times.

Re:Indiana the race has kind of settled from the early gaudy double digit leads Bayh was posting early in the cycle, which would seem good for Republicans if they assume that trend will continue and the streams cross, but I'm not buying it. I feel fairly confident about this race.

Joeytj

Banned
TNykovZ.png

zM32DmU.png

Somebody please stop Nate.

Yes, just saw that and I came hear hoping for an anti-BadNate rant. Wasn't disappointed.

I mean, if this doesn't make him doubt his model... I don't what will. Hillary being -30 en Oklahoma brings her down 1.3 points?

Sure Nate.

Do we have any Aussie GAF that can shed some light on Assange's history in the cult, "The Family"?

What I can find online comes from some pretty sensationalist sources, and I can't find primary sources for most of the info. Is it true it was both White Supremecist AND Doomsday? And how does the bleaching of the hair fit into the scheme of things, and is there a reason he still bleaches his hair to this day?

IMG_20161023_173824.jpg

Democrats will probably win the Senate race, CD-4, state house and senate and possibly CD-3. Good times.

Re:Indiana the race has kind of settled from the early gaudy double digit leads Bayh was posting early in the cycle, which would seem good for Republicans if they assume that trend will continue and the streams cross, but I'm not buying it. I feel fairly confident about this race.

Those gaudy numbers were mostly from leaked Dem internals anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We need some oppo to further cause GOP voters to stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom