• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Our neighborhood in Orlando ends in a cul de sac and there's only one sign up, a Trump sign. It's mostly older white people that live here so it didn't surprise me. Might put up a Hillary just because they annoyed us for months because they kept parking in front of our house instead of using their own goddamn driveway.

Ready to vote tomorrow!

It will encourage some of the more liberal republicans to have more influence within the party if McMullin own Utah.

McMullin is in no way a moderate, he's just not Trump. Even if he had any influence (he absolutely will not) it'd just be towards more Paul Ryan type conservatism.

McMullin winning Utah doesn't change the Republican party outside of Utah.

Southern Maine apparently loves yard signs because it's absolutely heinous how many there are. But most of them aren't actually in people's yards, they're in huge clusters at every intersection. You can't even read them because there are so many for every office - local, state, and federal alike. Yes on 1, No on 3, Vote Gary Johnson, etc etc etc.

It's like this with every election of any kind. I don't know who takes it upon themselves to swarm the post office with signage, but they never let up. Vandalizing each other's signs is also a pretty common tradition. A lot of Trump signs have had the T spray painted blue to make the signs say Rump instead.

It defines us.

yeah he said he'd appoint people like scalia to the supreme court so he's not some shining RINO figure or anything but he didn't sound completely awful when asked about black lives matter which puts him ahead of 99 percent of republicans

mo60

McMullin is in no way a moderate, he's just not Trump. Even if he had any influence (he absolutely will not) it'd just be towards more Paul Ryan type conservatism.

McMullin winning Utah doesn't change the Republican party outside of Utah.

No. It will probably force them to moderate some of their positions on certain issues a bit quicker.

Cerium

We would have been in a worse timeline where President Obama never sings Al Green on a bet.
You never know. Hillary was a fan of Obama before he challenged her. He may well have been tapped to replace her in 2008. He might be the one running for President right now on a change platform, perhaps against President Romney. The possibilities are endless.

I'm going to keep posting these because we have no polling to keep us occupied.

@RalstonReports
Another substantial win for Dems in Washoe on Day 2 of early voting. 900-vote advantage. With mail, they now have 2,200-vote lead.

Clark to come later because their polls close at 7.

But you want them to be complacent and nominate another Trump so this happens again.
i don't want anyone to ever nominate anyone like Trump again

Love of country over love of party. We need a stable, effective Conservative party if we ever truly want to get anything done.

Southern Maine apparently loves yard signs because it's absolutely heinous how many there are. But most of them aren't actually in people's yards, they're in huge clusters at every intersection. You can't even read them because there are so many for every office - local, state, and federal alike. Yes on 1, No on 3, Vote Gary Johnson, etc etc etc.

It's like this with every election of any kind. I don't know who takes it upon themselves to swarm the post office with signage, but they never let up. Vandalizing each other's signs is also a pretty common tradition. A lot of Trump signs have had the T spray painted blue to make the signs say Rump instead.

It defines us.

Signs all over the place up north as well, a few for Trump, but mostly down-ballot related, and mostly democratic from what I've seen, so that's nice.

Signs all over the place up north as well, a few for Trump, but mostly down-ballot related, and mostly democratic from what I've seen, so that's nice.

I live in York County and all the presidential signs are for Trump. It depresses me. I pass about twenty on my way to work. They were the first to go up, too, so they've been there the longest.

I can't wait until they're gone.

Love of country over love of party. We need a stable, effective Conservative party if we ever truly want to get anything done.

I don't know that we need a Conservative party, necessarily, but the idea of fiscal conservatism is a needed balance in a nation with an ascendant fiscally Liberal party. Eisenhower fiscal ideas, with Rockefeller social policies would be my preference.

I just want the nihilism to stop. When a party threatens to knock down our functioning institutions because they're upset about unrelated policies, we all suffer.

Religious Conservatism really did a number on a lot of nations in the second-half of the 20th Century. Sometimes I like to Google pictures from Afghanistan in the 60s & 70s to remind myself what militarism and fundamentalism can steal from a people

Afghan_women_in_the_1970s.jpg

My favorite thing about the GOP is that as bad their have been about taking on Trump, even #NeverTrumpers can't actually have a conversation about Hillary Clinton without seething with white hot rage that obscures any fact.

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/790348604028362752

@baseballcrank
This is just ugly for Hillary, if anyone cares at all about the thoroughgoing corruption of the next President.
Jonathan H. Adler @jadler1969
Fox News just landed a brutal, clean hit on Hillary Clinton's campaign http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...86be4b0a03911ed5e27?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004 … via @HuffPostPol

Yup. I can't help but think he'd have better commercials if he asked her for some help. His commercials basically amount to: "I'm Chuck Schumer, I'm running for reelection, have a nice day."

Why would Chuck Schumer need to spend a dime to get re-elected? It's not like he even has a chance of losing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My favorite thing about the GOP is that as bad their have been about taking on Trump, even #NeverTrumpers can't actually have a conversation about Hillary Clinton without seething with white hot rage that obscures any fact.

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/790348604028362752

Reading this article, doesn't it still amount to "This looks bad, but as far as we know it's literally nothing."

Why would Chuck Schumer need to spend a dime to get re-elected? It's not like he even has a chance of losing.

No goddamned idea, I've seen some ads floating around online though. They're hilarious in how bland they are.

Cerium

Actually the more stable and effective the Republicans are, the less gets done.

What we need is not to reconcile with that party but to destroy it utterly. A Democratic supermajority is the only way things get done, like the one we had in 2009 which got Obamacare passed.

Cyanity

Banned
An interesting exercise in alternate history: When Hillary left the White House she considered running for senate in Illinois, her birth state, rather than New York, a state she had no connection to until Bill started up the foundation. She chose New York for various reasons, one being that there was a vacancy in 2000 whereas she would have had to wait until 2004 in Illinois.

Of course the man who eventually took that Illinois seat in 2004 was Barack Obama.

What if she had waited?

Radio Free GOP actually had David Axelrod on a couple weeks ago and they got into the background behind Obama's push for the Illinois senate seat in 2004 and how that propelled him to run for the presidency. They didn't bring up your hypothetical situation, but your comment reminded me about the episode and how good it was: Second episode from the top: "Show Trials, and the axe, David Axelrod"

Reading this article, doesn't it still amount to "This looks bad, but as far as we know it's literally nothing."

She got $12 million to commit to AIDS medication and Malaria medication. Unless you think that the Clinton Foundation is a slush fund that is a front for Hillary's criminal enterprise, there's nothing here. Getting people to donate to a highly rated and efficient charitable organization is not corruption!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
She got $12 million to commit to AIDS medication and Malaria medication. Unless you think that the Clinton Foundation is a slush fund that is a front for Hillary's criminal enterprise, there's nothing here. Getting people to donate to a highly rated and efficient charitable organization is not corruption!

Exactly. Fox News found all of nothing, the fact HuffPost gave it that title is laughable.

I live in York County and all the presidential signs are for Trump. It depresses me. I pass about twenty on my way to work. They were the first to go up, too, so they've been there the longest.

I can't wait until they're gone.

I've actually seen some Clinton/Kaine signs popping up recently, didn't think it was gonna happen.

Actually the more stable and effective the Republicans are, the less gets done.

What we need is not to reconcile with that party but to destroy it utterly. A Democratic supermajority is the only way things get done, like the one we had in 2009 which got Obamacare passed.
I mean stable and effective as on not obstructing, and acting as the actual fiscally Conservative party for the country.

I don't know that we need a Conservative party, necessarily, but the idea of fiscal conservatism is a needed balance in a nation with an ascendant fiscally Liberal party. Eisenhower fiscal ideas, with Rockefeller social policies would be my preference.

I just want the nihilism to stop. When a party threatens to knock down our functioning institutions because they're upset about unrelated policies, we all suffer.

Religious Conservatism really did a number on a lot of nations in the second-half of the 20th Century. Sometimes I like to Google pictures from Afghanistan in the 60s & 70s to remind myself what militarism and fundamentalism can steal from a people

Afghan_women_in_the_1970s.jpg
This is a stupid thing to post without understanding what led to conservatism. Oh look how wonderful and modern things were back in the 70's inside Iran/Afghanistan. Oh yeah people were getting disappeared too, there was clampdown on religion and the culture was eroding as well.

You never know. Hillary was a fan of Obama before he challenged her. He may well have been tapped to replace her in 2008. He might be the one running for President right now on a change platform, perhaps against President Romney. The possibilities are endless.

I prefer the best timeline where President Gore addresses climate change 16 years ago (in a meaningful way) and we don't go to war with Iraq after 9/11.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love the last paragraphs boil down to: Maybe he just donated to a charity to make the world a better place or maybe there is something going on.

The fact that it doesn't open with anything is the clearest message there's nothing there. If there had been anything there it would have been in the first three paragraphs--ideally in paragraph one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does Mook keep going on shows if he sucks at it? Does anyone cares who goes on these shows?

I think it's a huge issue to fail to answer simple questions. "This is not newly disclosed. We talked about it because we thought journalists like you would misinterpret it. Shocker, you did."

I think every adult is generally able to separate two things: 1) these are hacked and that's bad and 2) things in them can still be noteworthy. Why does the Clinton campaign think that only addressing 1 is a better answer than simply addressing 2 plainly? I don't get it.

Good thing no one gives a fuck.

Iolo

Why does Mook keep going on shows if he sucks at it? Does anyone cares who goes on these shows?

I think it's a huge issue to fail to answer simple questions. "This is not newly disclosed. We talked about it because we thought journalists like you would misinterpret it. Shocker, you did."

I think every adult is generally able to separate two things: 1) these are hacked and that's bad and 2) things in them can still be noteworthy. Why does the Clinton campaign think that only addressing 1 is a better answer than simply addressing 2 plainly? I don't get it.

Good thing no one gives a fuck.

Just like Devine/Weaver---the direction ultimately comes from the top.

This is a stupid thing to post without understanding what led to conservatism. Oh look how wonderful and modern things were back in the 70's inside Iran/Afghanistan. Oh yeah people were getting disappeared too, there was clampdown on religion and the culture was eroding as well.

There were world-class hospitals, a functioning electrical grid, it was one of the most educated populations in SW Asia, they were eradicating diseases that had plagued people for millenia...

I take your point, that perhaps Western influence was taking from them their desire to retain agrarian cultural ties that sustained them over the millenia, but we're talking about a land that had been the crossroads, and battlefield, of a dozen empires and religions. Nothing is perfect, and if you were to give them the option of having what they had in 1970, versus 2016, you might find they enjoyed having a functioning nation-state

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There were world-class hospitals, a functioning electrical grid, it was one of the most educated populations in SW Asia, they were eradicating diseases that had plagued people for millenia...

I take your point, that perhaps Western influence was taking from them their desire to retain agrarian cultural ties that sustained them over the millenia, but we're talking about a land that had been the crossroads, and battlefield, of a dozen empires and religions. Nothing is perfect, and if you were to give them the option of having what they had in 1970, versus 2016, you might find they enjoyed having a functioning nation-state

The days of the shah were a fucked up time, if you go back to before the West installed him then you might have an argument.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wait, a political cartoonist used MAGA in a non-satirical manner.

The days of the shah were a fucked up time, if you go back to before the West installed him then you might have an argument.

In this instance I was specifically talking about Afghanistan, but the point stands that the Western world needs to learn that propping-up, and brining-down world leaders is a fools game for everyone

I wonder if some high schooler in a decade or so will have to write an SAT answer based on one of those comics.

"Please describe the symbolism of the above political cartoon."

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Trump is a modern day Samson? Quick! Someone snatch his "hair".

Also, Obama not being a "lame duck" in that Drain the Swamp cartoon is a missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom