• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Jake TapperVerified account
‏@jaketapper
CNN/ORC will have new polling on the presidential race, today at 4pm ET on #TheLead

Zukkoyaki

Brace yourselves... New CNN/ORC poll at 4:00 ET

Last one was Clinton +5. Also remember as Nate Silver put it, they have about a 2-3 point Republican lean this cycle.

Well, credit where it's due. You were the one saying this throughout the primary. Once you notice, it's really nice. She mentions people by name, thanks people. What an insane concept!!! Politeness in politics.
She knows how to politics. This is how you win up and down the ballot. You know the people who run in the shitty races you don't care two shits about, because they know their tiny little corner of wherever they live. You work the rope lines. You do all that stuff. And she is really, really a lot better at it than 2008.

Also, FUCK about the CNN polls. Going to put on my diaper now.

Jake Tapper: "Trump supporters are using Nazi terminology."

Trump supporters on Twitter: "The Nazi's weren't that bad though."

Also I saw Michael Steel on a Morning Joe clip, I can't even enjoy watching him trying to walk back his support for Trump, this guy is just downright sad.

thebloo

"When they go low, we go high! And then we have Liz swoop down and tear that motherfucker's soul out of his orange carcass.

Love and kindness!"

kirblar

I'd wait and see what happens with the SC justice and federal judges Hillary appoints. If her nominee is blocked for no good reason I'd threaten to destroy the filibuster and see what happens. Maybe another deal is reached. But regardless Hillary's first nominee should be approved, and if it's clear republicans have no interest in playing ball they should be punished.

Getting rid of the filibuster outright is probably not a good idea. Let's see what happens.
No, you have to get rid of it outright at this point. It's no longer a panic button, it's being used routinely forcing a supermajority. The chamber can't function.

Anyone got word on how long the lines are to vote in Florida?
1+ hour wait in Palm Beach Gardens

Cvi1KEJWYAEhxBj.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, you have to get rid of it outright at this point. It's no longer a panic button, it's being used routinely forcing a supermajority. The chamber can't function.
What if trump wins? it'd be nice to have even though I think losing is supposed to suck.

kirblar

What if trump wins? it'd be nice to have even though I think losing is supposed to suck.
At this point it's an issue of government straight up not functioning, and getting the obstruction levers out of the hands of the party that wants to make it not function is more important than worrying about them getting full control.

Ok, does the lower ranks of Twitter's trending topics relate to location or something? It seems every other day something FSU/Jimbo Fisher is just hanging around in the 15-20 spot. Are FSU students and alumna just prodigious tweeters, or are they trying to upset me?

You have to make them believe that you are willing to get rid of the filibuster, which probably means you actually have to be willing to get rid of the filibuster. But I agree with Cesare--optimally a very real threat of nuking the filibuster will be enough to get the nominees passed, and for as long as they believe it, it's as good as not having one for sane things like SC nominees.

But the threat has to be enforced if a bluff is called, or if the GOP has decided to accept that no filibuster is a better option that they can take advantage of in the future.

Diablos

“I know where he’s at on this,” Priebus said.

”He’s saying he wants to reserve all options,” Priebus assured CBS News’ John Dickerson, “and, ‘If there is grounds for a recount, I will exercise my options.’”

“He is not willing to not concede if he loses and there’s no fraud,” he added.
Does he really have any idea what Trump is saying? I somehow doubt it.

Grounds for a recount or fraud? Or both? What the fuck is it?

Ok, does the lower ranks of Twitter's trending topics relate to location or something? It seems every other day something FSU/Jimbo Fisher is just hanging around in the 15-20 spot. Are FSU students and alumna just prodigious tweeters, or are they trying to upset me?
It can be Worldwide, National or Regional.

thebloo

Alright PoliGaf. This was discussed on my facebook feed today and am curious what you think.

Philosophical question:

You support a platform. One of their policies results in racially disparate effect.

Are you a racist?

Not enough data to answer. Is the effect positive? Do you know it's racially disparate?

pigeon

Banned
Alright PoliGaf. This was discussed on my facebook feed today and am curious what you think.

Philosophical question:

You support a platform. One of their policies results in racially disparate effect.

Are you a racist?

Too vague. For example, affirmative action has a racially disparate effect.

Philosophical question:

Are you a racist?

Not necessarily. For example, banning criminal histories from being viewed by employers hurts black men because employers are wild racists who think all black men are former criminals unless proven otherwise. So banning the viewing of criminal histories would hurt black people, but it would help a lot of poor white people and the overall economy. So that's a difficult choice to make.

If 90% of the policies you support hurt black people and many hurt people of color while providing almost no tangible benefit to any group (eg, deporting 12 million people), then you are probably a racist.

FSU twitter is just...something else. We (my alma mater is FSU, though I disowned them for a year because of the series of garbage the program went through) didn't even play this weekend.

Gotchaye

I think it's clear enough that the party that gets rid of the filibuster will pay no penalty for it that nobody has a good reason not to get rid of the filibuster if it becomes inconvenient. If it stays around it'll only be because of Senators having a thing about Senate traditions. A Supreme Court nominee can't actually be filibustered anymore, though the minority party will still want to try it in order to force the nuclear option.

FSU twitter is just...something else. We (my alma mater is FSU, though I disowned them for a year because of the series of garbage the program went through) didn't even play this weekend.

Perhaps I don't notice because I don't follow anyone I went to college with, but the thirst is real. I got both my degrees from FSU and unless someone is stealing crab legs, or punching a woman, I never bother tweeting about them.

thebloo

What we are discussing specifically is the notion, rightly or wrongly, that a vote for Trump is contention that one is a racist, bigot, sexist...what have you. Generally speaking, I hear a lot of people bypass any discussion around his policies to argue if any of it is racially disparate.

Another add-on argument to this is that with Trump, there is an argument that his words fuels or is somewhat reflective of his internal worldview which plays out in his political ideology. So if you can argue this to be the case, and know nothing about his policies and they, in effect, wind up doing harm, are you complicit to the above accusations (of being a racist, bigot, sexist...whatever)

I guess what I want to know is how important is intent behind policy. if I hurt a group of the population, did not intend to, but do, doesn't the impact negate the intention?

Thanks for your input.

Well, people bypass his policies because it's easier and, to some, self-evident. Policy implications are really hard to parse sometimes. An example would be the 1994 Crime Bill, which had major racial implications, but is hard to consider racist given the intentions at the time.

So, no, supporting policy that in the long run has unforeseen negative impacts along the race line is not in itself racist.

I think pigeon would be way more detailed and coherent on this topic.

Dont worry, it's gonna be pee in pants city very soon

Please stop. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom