• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vahagn

The one thing all of us liberals/democrats have to worry about in a Clinton Presidency is the inevitable set of "scandals" that come out that may derail her presidency and have the country lose faith in her.

Mind you, this isn't because there will actually be scandals, although there may be because plenty of Presidents have them, but because the past is prologue, and the public has already decided that Hillary is untrustworthy and full of scandals and skeletons in her closet.

It would be pretty easy, unfortunately, for the Republicans to derail her presidency using Scandal in much the same way they tried to derail Obama's because of Kenya and Islam.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

thebloo

You know, this one that came out recently, 'he grabbed me and he grabbed me on the arm.' Oh, I'm sure she's never been grabbed before," Trump said.

I'm not even a woman and I shudder at the times this thinking has been used throughout history.

Fuck you, dude. Fuck you!

hi, Heavy!

kess

It's a Clinton thing, Bill did the same thing to HW Bush back in the day with "Chicken Bush" for refusing to debate Bill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_George_(politics)
BN_EO702_0917ch_J_20140917113606.jpg

Yo sign typography has slipped

First, I didn't maybe realize a Chicken George reference pre-dated Season 1 of Big Brother.

Second, I share the same birthday as Donald Duck and now I'm even more happy about it.

pigeon

Banned
What we are discussing specifically is the notion, rightly or wrongly, that a vote for Trump is contention that one is a racist, bigot, sexist...what have you. Generally speaking, I hear a lot of people bypass any discussion around his policies to argue if any of it is racially disparate.

Another add-on argument to this is that with Trump, there is an argument that his words fuels or is somewhat reflective of his internal worldview which plays out in his political ideology. So if you can argue this to be the case, and know nothing about his policies and they, in effect, wind up doing harm, are you complicit to the above accusations (of being a racist, bigot, sexist...whatever)

As happens so often, the issue is the definition of "racist." If you believe that racism is a binary category that makes you evil, then this discussion will be difficult for you because the GOP has been more or less intentionally offering racist policies for 50 years to great electoral success.

I think this is facile (and sometimes, though not always, a straw man). Racism is a characteristic of our society that pops up all the time in our thought processes, which needs to be guarded against. The goal is not to magically purify yourself and never think racist things, the goal is to create a mental structure that identifies racist thoughts and filters them out before they poison your thought processes.

So: supporting a racist policy means that you're supporting a racist policy. That is probably bad! You should probably think about it and whether it could be changed to be less racist. But it's certainly possible that you could support those policies and not realize that you were being racist, or even genuinely think that the benefits of the policy outweigh the racist impact. For example, I support trade agreements and immigration that raise the living standards of all Americans because I think the benefit outweighs the impact to poorer Americans and we can create targeted policies to help them directly. I don't think this makes me "neoliberal scum."

That is why I was able to get along reasonably well with Republicans pre-Trump. Were they racist? Yeah, sure. But it's a learning process.

Trump is not the same, because his campaign is explicitly, overtly racist. Supporting a policy which is founded only on racism, and a campaign built around white nationalism, does make you a pretty severe racist in my view, regardless of whether you think you will get lower taxes out of it. There is no excuse for supporting Trump.

mo60

They don't do a lot of polls (they're failing bigly) and we're 2 weeks out.

Current early voting:
Cvjaq3TWEAA-uVE.jpg:large

Why are more republicans early voting in PA then democrats and why are the dems barely doing better then the republicans in MI in terms of early voting?

Wilsongt

"That is the definition of chutzpah,” Obama said, adding that Issa's mailers were "shameless," according to Politico.

The President said that Issa's "primary contribution to the United States Congress has been to obstruct and to waste taxpayer dollar on trumped-up investigations that have led nowhere" and that the Republican congressman is "not somebody who’s serious about working on problems," according to Politico.

Fuck it Obama is best Obama.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouldn't we see if this is like absentee or in person and we need comparisons to last time. Otherwise PA FUCK!!!!!

Well, in Colorado it will almost all be absentee. All registered voters are automatically sent a mail in ballot. There are a few in-person places, but mostly people buy the stamp to mail it in.

jonjonaug

Shouldn't we see if this is like absentee or in person and we need comparisons to last time. Otherwise PA FUCK!!!!!
PA doesn't have early voting and you need an excuse to file an absentee ballot, which is why Trump is pushing voter supression tactics so hard there since they can actually make a difference.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does Trump have anyone else to pump up the crowd and introduce him besides Giuliani? He leads off every rally.

He has the worst attorneys, and the worst bench of surrogates.

Bams putting in the work:

Obama to Endorse 150 State Legislative Candidates
President Obama is out on the trail in full force, not just pushing support for the Democratic front-runner for President, he's endorsing candidates on the down-ballot races, a unique step for the outgoing commander in chief.

A Democratic source confirms to NBC News that this cycle, President Obama will weigh in on about 150 state legislative races, an effort to use his rising popularity throughout the country to help flip Republican-controlled state legislatures in swing districts across the country.

Obama has already recorded television advertisements for five Senate Democratic candidates: Patrick Murphy of Florida, Kamala Harris of California, Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Deborah Ross of North Carolina and Katie McGinty of Pennsylvania. He is also featured in ads for Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and House contenders Bryan Caforio in California, Charlie Crist in Florida, Brad Schneider in Illinois, Terri Bonoff in Minnesota and Colleen Deacon in New York.

He's done radio ads as well, so far, for four Senate candidates: Ross, McGinty, Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire and Catherine Cortez Masto in Nevada. And also gubernatorial candidates: Sue Minter of Vermont and Roy Cooper of North Carolina. House Democratic contenders Tom O'Halleran of Arizona, Rep. Cheri Bustos of Illinois, Jacky Rosen of Nevada, Rep. John Yarmuth of Kentucky and Ruben Kihuen of Nevada also got radio ads.

Voters can also expect to receive mailers and hear other statements from the president in the final push of this election cycle.

Wut, is this like good Dem vs bad Dem or something

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PA doesn't have early voting and you need an excuse to file an absentee ballot, which is why Trump is pushing voter supression tactics so hard there since they can actually make a difference.
Nature boy is pushing misleading information. He is biased and probably a loser big league.

I feel really sorry for NH. Y'all have to deal with all those Freestate Project wackos. At least in Florida, we have a lot of large cities to escape to, and nice beaches

I've been canvassing in NH. And it's actually not that bad.

The only annoying thing is that there are a lot of Bernie fans. Most have come around and support Clinton, but I've seen a decent amount that still haven't recovered from the primaries.

I think the most pleasant surprise would be how many registered republicans are saying they will vote for Van Ostern and Hillary.

I'm curious about that one too. Not sure why he'd get involved in a blue on blue fight unless the other candidate was really bad.

The other candidate is really bad. Also Kamala won the primary quite decisively. Kamala is like potential presidential candidate-level rising star. Someone to watch for in 2024.

thebloo

This "Right Side Broadcasting" youtube channel really knows how to punish a fella's ears with horrible music while waiting for Trump to take the stage.

They're trying to warn you! Silly librul.

I have the "Progress is on the ballot" one as mp3 and I listen to it once a day. It's good for motivation.

Paches

Random question:

Where are European countries on gay marriage these days? Beyond whether they allow it or not, which ones are more anti-gay marriage than others etc. I was reading the death penalty thread and was thinking about how sad it is we are still a capital punishment country (I know states differ on this).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm curious about that one too. Not sure why he'd get involved in a blue on blue fight unless the other candidate was really bad.
More a case of taking no chances. Kamala Harris is the best and has a real future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom