• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

For a lot of people, very difficult. They usually cost money. Not everyone can afford $20 to get an ID card, or whatever it is. Even if they are free, they consistently make it hard to get them. Not everyone drives or has access to public transportation. (And the latter isn't free). Often these locations have shitty hours that people simply can't get to. My DMV isn't on the bus route. I'd have to walk about half a mile from the bus stop to get to it if I didn't have my fiance to drive me or whatever.

And, even if they're free and they have decent hours, not everyone has access to the documents you need to get an ID. Ohio requires a Social Security card and a birth certificate. It costs to get each of those, and a lot of them require you show up in person. When I had to get my ID, I had to go get an actual certified copy of my birth certificate. I had to drive 45 minutes to the health department where it was, because they wouldn't mail a copy to me. It also cost money.

I'm talking specifically about student IDs which aren't in compliance, I understand the issues regarding access to state IDs for poor and minority groups. Yeah, as a salaried guy making decent money updating my ID at work was $12 to get it mailed to me. NBD. I get that I'm incredibly lucky to be in that situation. But student IDs shouldn't be hard at all to update into compliance so all incoming students have something valid to vote with.

And again, not saying that should be the case, just that we shouldn't let the GOP split hairs on what is or isn't valid to suppress the vote if we can easily remedy their bullshit qualms

DasRaven

Fantasy cabinet time

Chief of Staff - Cheryl Mills
State - Michael Bloomberg
Treasury - Sheryl Sandberg
SecDEF - Joe Biden
Attorney General - Tom Perez

Senate Judiciary - Patrick Leahy (Kamala 2nd up)
Banking - Elizabeth Forma
Budget - Bernie Sanders

Remember, Sec. Clinton wants a gender balanced cabinet, so I'd suggest...
CoS - Huma (a lock)
State - Kerry through ISIS offensive, then Susan Rice or Samantha Power.
Treasury - Raskin or Bloomberg just to explode the Alt-righters brains
SecDef - Keep Ash Carter, he's awesome
AG - Lynch until she wants to resign, then Cheryl Mills

And give Paul Rieckhoff some advisory/spokesman role in the VA.
He's been the public face of reform for years now. Grand gestures are needed there to restore public image.

kess

Lol, there's an anti "Bloomberg Gun Scheme" ad on the bottom of this page

Wonder if this will give Toomey supporters pause

Yeah this isn't bias at all

That's why it's vitally important we give Clinton a Senate majority. The cases generated from GOP states regarding voter suppression, and the neutering of the VRA will be some of the most impactful leading up to 2020.

It's completely un-American to put barriers up against voters' ability to exercise the Franchise, simply to give your party an advantage. This should lead to jail-time, but it won't, and Conservatives will not learn a lesson.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/790904200863617024

Powerful ad from the Hilary campaign. They found a woman that the Trump Org discriminated against when it came to renting. Got major feels from it. Might be because I'm black...don't know I think most people would get strong feelings from it too. It just really emphasizes how much progress we've made as a country and Trump wants to take us back. No way. Vote people.

That's damned good.

NeoXChaos

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 8m8 minutes ago
1. Clinton Landslide. HRC wins 53%-41%, carries 413 EV's, including AZ, GA, NC and even TX. View on Swing-O-Matic:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...28,Latino:0.191;0.575,A/O:0.234;0.531,3:0.059

1. The Clinton landslide

In a staggering rejection of GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, voters last night elected Hillary Clinton as the nation’s first female president, 53 percent to 41 percent — the widest margin in a presidential race since 1984. Clinton swept 30 states totaling 413 electoral votes. In an exclamation point, Clinton carried Arizona, Georgia and even Texas. Repudiating Trump, Utah gave its six electoral votes to conservative independent Evan McMullin.

Clinton’s landslide was fueled by record Democratic support among whites with a college degree, particularly women, as well as heightened turnout from Latino and Asian voters. Clinton won whites with a college degree by 10 percentage points, a huge turnaround from 2012, when Mitt Romney won them by 10 points. Black turnout and support remained steady from 2012, despite fears among Clinton backers that African-American enthusiasm would lag without President Obama on the ballot.

Turnout among Latinos surged from 47 percent to 57 percent, and Clinton won them by a massive 58 points, allowing Clinton to shock Trump in the Lone Star State. After plenty of hype, there was no uptick in turnout or support for Trump among whites without a college degree; he won them by about the same margin as Mitt Romney did. Moreover, support for third-party candidates was just 6 percent, lower than many pre-election polls had predicted.

Down ballot, Democrats swept all seven Senate races rated as “toss-ups” by the Cook Political Report, earning a 54 to 46 majority and even defeating Marco Rubio in Florida. They came within five seats of retaking the House, throwing Paul Ryan’s future as speaker into doubt. The magnitude of Clinton’s victory forced Republicans to re-evaluate their long-term national viability: Calling Trump a “cancer on conservatism,” GOP leaders vowed to purge Trump from the party — though it’s unclear they can.

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 9m9 minutes ago
2. Modest Clinton Majority. Wins 50%-42%, carries 359 EV's by flipping AZ/NC/#NE02. View in Swing-O-Matic:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...75,Latino:0.235;0.531,A/O:0.243;0.513,3:0.078

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-these-5-articles-the-day-after-the-election/

2. Modest Clinton majority

Hillary Clinton became the first woman to win the presidency last night, defeating Donald Trump by a comfortable margin — 50 percent to 42 percent — roughly in line with what polls predicted. Clinton swept all 26 states that President Obama had carried in 2012, plus Arizona, North Carolina and Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District, for a total of 359 electoral votes. In a stunning repudiation of Trump, Utah gave its six electoral votes to conservative independent Evan McMullin.

Clinton’s bare majority was primarily the product of an attitudinal sea change among whites with a college degree, who supported her by 8 percentage points after supporting Mitt Romney by 10 points in 2012. Although Trump boosted turnout of whites without a college degree from 55 percent to 59 percent and black turnout declined slightly from 2012, Latino turnout jumped from 47 percent to 53 percent and Clinton won them by 48 points.

Down ballot, Democrats won a 52-to-48 majority in the Senate, sweeping all Senate races rated as “toss-ups” by the Cook Political Report except Florida and Missouri. Democrats also picked up 15 House seats, cutting Speaker Paul Ryan’s margin in half and leaving him with much less room for error. Although Ryan and GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence offered Clinton their congratulations, at press time Trump had still not offered a formal concession.

And again, not saying that should be the case, just that we shouldn't let the GOP split hairs on what is or isn't valid to suppress the vote if we can easily remedy their bullshit qualms

Also, remember that Walker and his goons in the Legislature and Board of Governors cut the UW system's throat through funding reductions, tuition freezes, and all-out intimidation of faculty and staff who spoke out. This may be a matter of funds. Is it worth it for these campuses to spend tens of thousands of dollars on new, compliant IDs, or the systems to make them, when that could be going towards scholarship or upkeep of infrastructure/libraries/technology?

HylianTom

Banned
I get to vote today. This one's going to mean a lot.

And as a cool bonus, Louisiana is giving away Blue Dog stickers to voters..

1024x1024.jpg
(*Not actual size.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm surprised they list McMullin winning Utah in two scenarios.

I'm expecting a modest Clinton majority (but hoping for a landslide). I'd be disappointed if it was 2012 again with the differences being Iowa and Ohio going red and North Carolina blue. That would be the first serious red flag for 2020. Then again, that might just be evidence candidates do matter much less now than party, which could give her a slight advantage.

Bobby Bowden introduced Trump last night. I always made excuses for Bowden. But fuck off man. Fuck allll the way off, and take FSU with you.

He's a fucking Saint to the FSU alumna, and he's a festering douchebag. Ask the employees of his carpet-cleaning business, they'll tell you.

IMG_7tncvu.jpg

Powerful ad from the Hilary campaign. They found a woman that the Trump Org discriminated against when it came to renting. Got major feels from it. Might be because I'm black...don't know I think most people would get strong feelings from it too. It just really emphasizes how much progress we've made as a country and Trump wants to take us back. No way. Vote people.
ugh so glad this fool can't win

Maledict

An 8 point win is not a modest win. That's a freaking landslide on its own. An 8 point win for Clinton of all people is a disaster for the GOP full stop in every respect.

Fladam

Holy. Fucking. Christ. Hillary campaign has done some amazing work this political season, but I don't think I blinked once during that entire video. Truly powerful stuff.

Bobby Bowden introduced Trump last night. I always made excuses for Bowden. But fuck off man. Fuck allll the way off, and take FSU with you.

He's a Southern Baptist. No denomination has corrupted themselves so completely in the quest for worldly political influence as the Southern Baptist Convention . :(

More validation for sporting Aggie blue over FSU garnet and gold in the avatar-as if I needed it.

Kaine is penning an op-ed in http://www.deseretnews.com/ just in time for Pence's visit to Utah today.

Everyone should go back and read Hillary's op-ed in the Deseret News earlier this year. Great read.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wasserman has been eating his PA dogfood for an entire election cycle so maybe he's just bitter.

Harry enten is king of 538

Remember, Sec. Clinton wants a gender balanced cabinet, so I'd suggest...
CoS - Huma (a lock)
State - Kerry through ISIS offensive, then Susan Rice or Samantha Power.
Treasury - Raskin or Bloomberg just to explode the Alt-righters brains
SecDef - Keep Ash Carter, he's awesome
AG - Lynch until she wants to resign, then Cheryl Mills

And give Paul Rieckhoff some advisory/spokesman role in the VA.
He's been the public face of reform for years now. Grand gestures are needed there to restore public image.

Cheryl Mills isn't going to get through a senate confirmation without a nuke the GOP will dig a bunch through the wikileaks emails. COS is possible.

And no to bloomberg anywhere nears this administration unless its on one of those useless "presidential advisory commissions"

and IDK if I see Huma as COS she seems far more to take Valerie Jarrett role as a senior advisor. I've never read much about Huma as a manager, more like a confidant.

NeoXChaos

Jeff B/DDHQVerified account
‏@EsotericCD
My current electoral map, prediction-wise. I think all swings will swing away from Trump at this point, for obvious reasons.

CvnslKEUAAEISHs.jpg

Jeff B/DDHQ ‏@EsotericCD 26m26 minutes ago
That wasn't the worst-case scenario. I don't think this electoral outcome is likely at all, but nor is it *entirely inconceivable*:

CvntroLVUAAEMYa.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You guys are crazy. Obama is gonna be Secretary of State. The demon blood pact would then be complete.

All of this has happened before

All of this will happen again

Listening to right wing KFI in LA on the way to work. They're claiming they have exclusive evidence that the Clintons do have a secret child (not the black kid). They did this after hyping the o'keefe video. I would stick around to laugh, but I'm already 5 minutes late lok

avaya

Can see ATT/TWX merger being a political battering ram for the first year of Hillary's admin but really they would be wise to push it through - it's pure vertical and T needs this to divert attention from the ass reaming it's taking in consumer mobility. Stopping this deal would be purely political. If T wants to go ahead and destroy value they should let it. Only safeguard needed is forced must wholesale at some sort of non prohibitive rate.

Plus side to it is another industry they need to not war with since healthcare will be the primary issue.

bananas

Banned
What people keep forgetting about about the House being gerrymandered, is that a lot of those districts are only +R by a couple of points. If it's truly 8, or 10, or 12+ Hillary, you're gonna see a lot of seat thought to be safe R go to tossup or lean D. Especially with Republican turnout down and Democratic turnout up.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
CNN was unbearable last night after its national poll was released. "Close race," "almost tied," and so forth kept being uttered by pundits and anchors. It drove me mad. I believe it was 48 to 43 Clinton?

Sigh.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Can you please tell me the name of the ad? I cannot access Twitter and I am having trouble searching for it on Google. I only came across a barbershop ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom