• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't Obamacare going up just a really good argument for Hillary to say "add a public option."

Yes it is. It's also a good argument for adding the cost controls on the medical side that Obama didn't. The ACA can work, it just needs to be far more robust than it currently is to function properly.

Media really interested in that increased Obamacare costs as a new narrative for the election.

The most infuriating thing is they can't or intentionally don't report these right.

Costs on the national exchanges (where states didn't do the marketplace on their own for example NY state is only 16% http://www.dfs.ny.gov/about/press/pr1608051.htm, California only 13% http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-covered-california-rates-20160718-snap-story.html), not medicare and employer coverage, where you know most people get their coverage.

But the media is pretending that Obama said costs would never go up and that everyone is going to face 25% cost increases which is bullshit.

They also ignore subsidies and the option to change plans

Yes it is. It's also a good argument for adding the cost controls on the medical side that Obama didn't. The ACA can work, it just needs to be far more robust than it currently is to function properly.

Costs increases would be in the low single digits if drug costs weren't so damn high.

There might be away to get around "fixing Obamacare" but doing some work on that end. And possibly hospital reform. That's where the large costs are coming from.

Poeton

+2 in Austin, the wife and I went and voted on her lunch break.

Info Wars was conducting exit polls, I declined to be interviewed.

Obamacare was set up under the assumption that it would be expanded and improved in the future, much like every other major groundwork bill.

It can work, it just needs to be maintained and updated. It wasn't meant to run itself for this long without any improvements. Because in a functioning democracy, it would get the improvements it needs.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Idaho is going to be weirder than normal this time for sure. We voted for Cruz and Bernie, and I get the sense that most people here don't like either nominee. I don't personally know any Trump voters, even though my family and their entire friend circle are Republicans, all the signs I see around town are for Gary Johnson and McMuffin. Obama got 36% in 2008 and 32% in 2012. I imagine Hillary could do a little better, and I do think that McMullin and Johnson will actually damage Trump here a bit.

All that said, the state was 72% for Bernie, and there are a fuckton of jilted salty crybabies here that haven't gotten over it. She doesn't win, but it'll be an oddball year without a doubt.
Of course after I say that Emerson College releases a poll showing Trump up 29% up Idaho. It did not include any third-party candidates however.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Costs increases would be in the low single digits if drug costs weren't so damn high.

There might be away to get around "fixing Obamacare" but doing some work on that end. And possibly hospital reform. That's where the large costs are coming from.

I still remember that Time piece from a few years ago on hospital costs. It was utterly disgusting and we still haven't done shit to combat any of what was in the article.

I'm pretty sure a public option would end up driving out the rest of the private insurance agencies from the Exchanges.

Not sure what the overall net impact would be.

Maybe Hillary could tie the new social programs aimed at millennials (paid family leave, child care subsidies) to having health insurance so that healthy people will get health insurance.

I work there too and Silicon Valley is the most progressive places I've ever been. It's like a hive mind here.

tell that to women and minorities, their opposition to affirmative action plans, economic libertarianism, anti-labor stances

Because they like weed and gay people doesn't really mean they're the most progressive, especially economically.

I think LA county/East Bay is actually the most progressive parts of the state

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Of course after I say that Emerson College releases a poll showing Trump up 29% up Idaho. It did not include any third-party candidates however.

That'd be pretty close to the Obama/McCain split. It'll be interesting to see where things land with third parties.

Anecdotal, but most of my religious friends/family here in Idaho loathe Trump and pull the "omg both are so terrible". I told one of them about McMuffin and he got pretty excited. The Democrats I know here have come home, thankfully.

Some of mine have come around, but the ones who haven't drive me nuts. I think a lot of it is that their parents bought into the Vince Foster stuff and any of the other scandals, so they grew up hearing about corrupt Clintons, and then when someone on the left said it, they decided it must be true. One of my buddies still talks like shit was rigged and can't talk about any of it without bringing up exit polls and murder coverups. It is what it is, but it definitely frustrates me.

Grief.exe

Obamacare was set up under the assumption that it would be expanded and improved in the future, much like every other major groundwork bill.

It can work, it just needs to be maintained and updated. It wasn't meant to run itself for this long without any improvements. Because in a functioning democracy, it would get the improvements it needs.

And the only cost controls, in the versions of non profit providers, were killed by Rubio.

SexyFish

Banned
CvoWvO2WcAADW2A.jpg
There's no way he doesn't attempt Trump TV, right?

And the only cost controls, in the versions of non profit providers, were killed by Rubio.

ACA is the Rights' Hill to Die On. They're gonna bird-dog it until it dies of neglect, or peoples' minds change. It's their one claim to legislative prescience. They can't let it work, like Medicare/aid because it puts a 21st Century stake in the heart of their Free Marketz rhetoric. Even though it's a tailor-made example of public/private legislation.

Even if it means Red states like KY have to kill their own working systems, they will, and they'll convince their population that Obama did it to them, not because of GOP intransigence.

Diablos

Holy shit @ Podesta email. It looks bad. I don't know if it matters as much as it would have say leading up to the DNC but shiiiiit.

tell that to women and minorities, their opposition to affirmative action plans, economic libertarianism, anti-labor stances

Because they like weed and gay people doesn't really mean they're the most progressive, especially economically.

I think LA county/East Bay is actually the most progressive parts of the state

Actually, I am a minority and I like weed. I also don't mind gay people.

Remember CA, let's legalize weed this election too.

Media really interested in that increased Obamacare costs as a new narrative for the election.

Trump just made an idiotic comment about it at his golf course but other than that it's fallen off most of the news sites. It's the fifth election story on the failing NYT.com.

It's real, significant news and it should be covered. But there doesn't seem to be any kind of frenzy.

Edit: Podesta email is literally NOWHERE jfc Diablos

Clinton doing a stop with Murphy.

Lets put some adds back up in the last few days!

Can Campaigns run ads for other candidates or join campaigns? "Like vote for this ticket"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom