• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
+Killary in FL.

Voted straight DEM and retained all judges. For local races that I had no clue about I referenced Sun Sentinel endorsements. Said NOPE to fraud solar amendment and YES to medical marijuana. Also voted yes for both sales tax increases (from 6% to 7%) to generate funds for infrastructure and transportation improvements in Broward country.

Feels good man.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
+Killary in FL.

Voted straight DEM and retained all judges. For local races that I had no clue about I referenced Sun Sentinel endorsements. Said NOPE to fraud solar amendment and YES to medical marijuana. Also voted yes for both sales tax increases (from 6% to 7%) to generate funds for infrastructure and transportation improvements in Broward country.

Feels good man.

I always feel like an uninformed dipshit when it comes to voting to retain judges. I read up on every other thing, but that one always takes me by surprise and then I just decide to vote to keep everyone because if I don't know their names, they must not be doing anything wrong, or some garbage logic like that.

Big-name Republicans just give leaner Republicans more excuses to switch on election day and (more likely)demoralize others. Every endorsement is a win.

Who are these soft, leaning Repubs that haven't already jumped ship?

It's catnip for talking heads, but who does it provide cover for when Powell was already seen as a traitor and racial-greivance pimp by most of the GOP after '08 and '12, and his acceptance of #BLM?

+Killary in FL.

Feels good man.

Retained all so as not to give Scott any more chances to fuckup the Judiciary. Except for Canady who was on Trump's SCOTUS shortlist.

Iolo

Where are you guys even seeing some of this? Are you literally reading Wikileaks? Twitter? Dumb Facebook posts? Why? I don't even see this shit on any major news sites. Adam's right, unless it's being blared across the nightly news, why are you torturing yourselves?

Basically people are standing right outside an echo chamber and listening in and reporting back here.

Who was it in here that was telling me I was wrong a couple weeks ago for predicting that high-profile republicans would start publicly stating they'll vote for Hillary?
Not me. I predicted condi and Powell endorsements months ago. It makes a lot of sense. Anyone in government who cares how foreign policy remotely works was gonna endorse.

Mom is in surgery finally. Just waiting now.

jtb

Banned
Any fellow Seattle/Washington residents that had a really hard time deciding whether or not to vote for the carbon tax? (I-732; imposes a tax on carbon + a 1% tax cut in state sales tax)

I ended up voting against the initiative, on advice of some of my environmental activist friends that I canvas with... was a tough decision though.

Iolo

I always feel like an uninformed dipshit when it comes to voting to retain judges. I read up on every other thing, but that one always takes me by surprise and then I just decide to vote to keep everyone because if I don't know their names, they must not be doing anything wrong, or some garbage logic like that.

I usually read the various bar association ratings and vote no if the judge is clearly unqualified across the board ... there's always a couple. They never lose though so it doesn't matter other than appeasing my conscience.

Vyrance

I tried for an hour trying to find any sort of information on the judges. It's like they're ghosts lol

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I was going to make a sort of "Election Night viewing guide" for my family, talking about what states to watch, and things like that. I decided to make it more fun, to base it around fake xbox achievements. I thought at the end of the night we could see what kind of score the candidates rack up.

Here's what I have so far, any ideas what events or situations I can add to this list? Some of these like the times of the concession speech, are placeholders, I was going to look up to see what times make sense based on the past few elections.

Link, because the image is kind of large.

Don't they send you a voter's pamphlet with candidate statements? I mean, not that it matters for incumbent judges running unopposed; I don't bother voting for those because they are guaranteed a win regardless. But it seems like the candidates for the judiciary could supply statements as well, especially if it's actually a contested race.

I was going to make a sort of "Election Night viewing guide" for my family, talking about what states to watch, and things like that. I decided to make it more fun, to base it around fake xbox achievements. I thought at the end of the night we could see what kind of score the candidates rack up.

Here's what I have so far, any ideas what events or situations I can add to this list? Some of these like the times of the concession speech, are placeholders, I was going to look up to see what times make sense based on the past few elections.

Fox News host demands answers as to why they just called a state for Clinton.

Mac_Lane

Haha that's awesome man, nice work !

CCS

Banned

We need a drinking game. Who wants to put it together? :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I tried for an hour trying to find any sort of information on the judges. It's like they're ghosts lol

Not difficult to find out who appointed them. I kept Charlie Crist, Jeb Bush and Lawton Chiles appointees, and kicked Rick Voldemort's appointees.

Of course, if you live in a state with reasonable governors, unless something sticks out you might as well retain them. I don't trust someone who our current shit governor appointed, but I can trust the rest enough.

Don't they send you a voter's pamphlet with candidate statements? I mean, not that it matters for incumbent judges running unopposed; I don't bother voting for those because they are guaranteed a win regardless. But it seems like the candidates for the judiciary could supply statements as well, especially if it's actually a contested race.

Supreme Court, Circuit and Appellate judges in FL are appointed and go through these retention votes. There aren't candidates. If they don't get retained the Governor gets to choose a new one for the post.

Only trial judges get "non-partisan" elections

Appellate judges in FL are appointed and go through these retention votes. There aren't candidates. If they don't get retained the Governor gets to choose a new one for the post.

Only trial judges get "non-partisan" elections

Do they have to meet a certain threshold then? Or is it "Yes / No" voting on retention? Seems weird to vote on retention for appointed positions, but hey, Florida. That seems like a really stupid system though; how does the general public know who any of the judges are? It's not like they can go around campaigning.

Syncytia

Actually it only affects 1.5% of Americans. It's premiums for those plans on the exchange. But only 10 million people are on the exchanges.

But it's still a huge effect.

I know for my family (small business owners) that our premiums are all going up right now by at least double. This is also Arizona so there's the other issue of only one Insurance provider in Maricopa County but still...

The individual policies are fucked, and it needs to be fixed asap.

Also if you make like $50k and have to get an individual policy here, it's like $1000 a month. A quarter of your income....

Do they have to meet a certain threshold then? Or is it "Yes / No" voting on retention? Seems weird to vote on retention for appointed positions, but hey, Florida. That seems like a really stupid system though; how does the general public know who any of the judges are? It's not like they can go around campaigning.

Simple majority to retain/remove. Noone knows or cares about judges unless they do something royally stupid, or if a motivated partisan outfit spends money to energize their voters against them.

Also if you make like $50k and have to get an individual policy here, it's like $1000 a month. A quarter of your income....

I'm having a hard time imagining a 50k/yr job that offered no benefits. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

I just imagine one guy who already ordered the Dairy Queen ice cream cake a month in advance really upset by this.

On the plus side, ICE CREAM CAKE ALL TO MAHSELF.

Retained all so as not to give Scott any more chances to fuckup the Judiciary. Except for Canady who was on Trump's SCOTUS shortlist.

Is canady the partial birth abortion guy?

I voted to kick him out but didn't vote on the others. Nothing to crazy out of them that made me question them following the law.

smurfx

get some go again
Obamacare needs to be fixed but not destroyed.
hillary also hasn't been going around saying that it's perfect and that helps. hell you even have that quote by bill about obamacare that the right has been trying to use against her. if anything she can turn around and use that as proof that she knows it has some problems and she will work to fix them.

Apparently adam wants everyone to die of alcohol poisoning.
could be worse he could want us to live in ohio.

Is canady the partial birth abortion guy?

I voted to kick him out but didn't vote on the others. Nothing to crazy out of them that made me question them following the law.

Yeah, that's him. He also ran the House Impeachment of Clinton. Total douche canoe

Charles T. Canady, 62.
Canady worked in every branch of government – executive, legislative and judicial.

He was a real estate lawyer for Holland & Knight in Lakeland for three years after graduation from Yale Law School before entering the Florida Legislature.

Winning election to the U. S. House in 1993 from Lakeland, Canady had a memorable eight years. He coined the term “partial birth abortion” during his fight for a bill banning the procedure in 1995. He was later one of 13 House members who managed the impeachment trial against President Bill Clinton.

Leaving Congress because of a self-imposed term limit, Canady became Gov. Jeb Bush’s general counsel. In 2002, Bush appointed him to the District Court of Appeal in Lakeland. Crist appointed him to the Supreme Court in 2008.

Canady is known as a conservative justice and has frequently dissented with the court majority.

The inclusion of Canady’s name by Trump for the U. S. Supreme Court “is a dog whistle to the anti-abortion lobby,” wrote longtime Florida political observer and author Martin Dyckman in Floridapolitics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom