• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's hoping.

no need to hope. It would take some pretty bizarre logic to come up with a scenario where clinton has a legitimate +12 LV lead and doesn't end up flipping the house.

Most analysts had a "house flip" scenario at 6-8 points of actual turnout. The most pessimistic (from kondik) I saw was +10.

Sad!

Exactly. I actually don't think there are many people who would've been able to compete against Rubio.

Rubio before the primary? no. AFTER the primary? probably a different story. Rubio got dragged up and down the stage by Chris Christie of all people and never recovered.

A skilled politician could have made mincemeat out of him in a debate, but Murphy isn't that guy.

Rubio before the primary? no. AFTER the primary? probably a different story. Rubio got dragged up and down the stage by Chris Christie of all people and never recovered.

A skilled politician could have made mincemeat out of him in a debate, but Murphy isn't that guy.

Senate debates don't mean shit. No one watches them and even the local stations/papers barely cover them.

to be fair there are other races where they're in a lot more trouble than florida. NC and MO should have been easy wins, but they are rapidly heading into "loss" territory there.

Good points obviously but if there were real worries about losing FL because of low turnout the GOP could appeal to the base by running ads against Murphy supporting the evil Hillary Clinton's godless commie-nazi agenda or whatever. And north FL, where most of those voters are, isn't nearly as expensive as downstate.

Senate debates don't mean shit. No one watches them and even the local stations/papers barely cover them.

The debate itself? no. But score an attack that's potent enough, spread it around social media and that's how you get that job done.

or the local news outlets will do it for you.

Good points obviously but if there were real worries about losing FL because of low turnout the GOP could appeal to the base by running ads against Murphy supporting the evil Hillary Clinton's godless commie-nazi agenda or whatever. And north FL, where most of those voters are, isn't nearly as expensive as downstate.

it's a waste of money. Senate Races don't drive people to polls, presidential races do. The GOP needs to raise Rubio's profile enough to convince some voters- mostly cubans- to ticket split on his behalf when they're in the booth voting for clinton.

Attacking murphy is pointless. no one knows who he is, or anything about him. the vast majority of his votes are coming from people who are just hitting the "straight D" lever.

no need to hope. It would take some pretty bizarre logic to come up with a scenario where clinton has a legitimate +12 LV lead and doesn't end up flipping the house.

Most analysts had a "house flip" scenario at 6-8 points of actual turnout. The most pessimistic (from kondik) I saw was +10.

basically if we're really looking at +12 or even +10, it's gonna take bizarrely high ticket-splitting across the country. and i'm not sure we're seeing much of that outside ohio.

I really don't believe that. What other Florida Democrat could've competed with this name recognition? And those debates would've mattered little -- no one watched. Unfortunately, there just were so many structural problems once Rubio jumped back in the race. Everyone is poo pooing Murphy, but like, I really don't think anyone would've done better.

"Rubio hates being a Senator" attacks just never landed. They tried!

The debate itself? no. But score an attack that's potent enough, spread it around social media and that's how you get that job done.

or the local news outlets will do it for you.

It'd take something truly out of the norm for a moment from a Senate debate to go viral, it's not something one could count on and even if it did it probably wouldn't move the race. Debate skills aren't Murphy's problem.

It'd take something truly out of the norm for a moment from a Senate debate to go viral, it's not something one could count one and even if it did it probably wouldn't move the race. Debate skills aren't Murphy's problem.

could be true. A SKILLED politician could do it- but I doubt we'd end up with another Christie/Rubio moment on stage in a senate debate.

I really don't believe that. What other Florida Democrat could've competed with this name recognition? And those debates would've mattered little -- no one watched. Unfortunately, there just were so many structural problems once Rubio jumped back in the race. Everyone is poo pooing Murphy, but like, I really don't think anyone would've done better.

I know very little about what politicians exist in Florida, I honestly couldn't say. You're probably right- murphy is about the best they could do.

but still, it's hard to think that had they KNOWN Rubio was going to jump back in, Murphy is who they would have made the strategic decision to go with.

12 point lead but Ohio still a toss up. Sad. 🙁

Bill Nelson is probably the only Florida pol who could beat him on his own merits, and he already has the job.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, Christie closed the bridge for FIVE DAYS straight??

Holy shit. I thought it was just for a couple of hours. o_0

basically if we're really looking at +12 or even +10, it's gonna take bizarrely high ticket-splitting across the country. and i'm not sure we're seeing much of that outside ohio.

Yep. republicans are fucking demoralized EVERYWHERE. Even in Red States. this is a disaster.

Ohio may end up being the outlier not because it's full of ignorant Trumpkins, but because Portman is running such a good senate race that republicans there aren't being demoralized the same way republicans are elsewhere in the country. Everyone seems to have a positive opinion of him and want to turn out on election day.

That could keep moderate republicans from tuning out of the race and no longer being likely voters- which is the effect we're seeing elsewhere.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is it me or is stuff imploding today for the GOP?

It's certainly not a beautiful spring day, lol.

That fundraising news is hysterical for those wanting to watch the GOP burn down.

Grief.exe

Millenials paint a pretty future for the GOP

CvnnMLkWcAAuFUa.jpg

Most educated generation, most diverse generation. The Generation following the Millennials will likely be worse for the GOP than this.

Hillary's gonna win every Obama state plus Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, Indiana, Alaska, South Dakota, Montana, and Texas, but lose Ohio.

That result would just mean you'd hear about Ohio more.

Nah, remember what happened to missouri? used to be "the" bellwether state. Then it ended up going republican when the rest of the nation didn't...and no one cares about it anymore.

The media will all move on to NC or something if that ends up flipping.

Nah, remember what happened to missouri? used to be "the" bellwether state. Then it ended up going republican when the rest of the nation didn't...and no one cares about it anymore.

The media will all move on to NC or something if that ends up flipping.

The Missouri transition happened in a different media environment. Ohio talk will not fade anytime soon. Hell, look at how much coverage PA gets.

Ahhhhhh

@Redistrict
Biggest TX early voting increases vs. '12 so far:

1. Travis (D) +120%
2. El Paso (D) +106%
3. Williamson (R) +95%
4. Cameron (D) +75%

@Redistrict
Smallest TX early voting increases vs. '12 so far:

1. Fort Bend (R) +12%
2. Tarrant (R) +25%
3. Denton (R) +36%
4. Montgomery (R) +36%

@Redistrict
Pretty clear which party has enthusiasm edge in TX. Dems thrilled w/ interest level in Austin & border counties (El Paso/Hidalgo/Cameron).

I don't want to believe, but...

The Missouri transition happened in a different media environment. Ohio talk will not fade anytime soon. Hell, look at how much coverage PA gets.

PA is just bizarre. There's no reason to talk about it at all during election time yet they always do. It's as blue a state as everywhere else in the northeast.

Hell, it even went Kerry in 04.

He's either hoarding the cash for himself or he doesn't have enough to help. I mean he's stopping all fundraising. Dude knows it's over.

dont campaign finance laws say you can't do that?

oh wait...Trump is using his own companies to run his campaign to a large degree. He could spend it all on ten million copies of "the art of the deal" and pocket the revenue without much of an issue, probably.

HylianTom

Banned
Ahhhhhh

I don't want to believe, but...
This is what's so tantalizing about Election Night. We don't have a solid idea of what the ceiling is. Between ground game disparity, polling variations, difference in split ticket voting trends from state to state, the not-easily-unquantified potential for disillusioned GOP voters to sit at home.. we might add 15 House seats, we might get 35. We might add 5 Senate seats, we might get 8.

So damn interesting..

8FxEa.gif

If it's a +12 margin on election day Ohio won't be a tossup.

This is just what polling is showing right now, correct? I'm starting to wonder if that margin is going to be much bigger come election day. Hillary's campaign has a massive GOTV organization. Trump has essentially zero GOTV, and now he is cutting off money to the GOP. In addition to that, the GOP base is already demoralized while there is a lot of enthusiasm on the Democratic side.

LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom