• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So Selzer is bad because they got the Iowa percentage wrong, even though they use a mix of landline and cellphone numbers, which seems to be the best polling methodology today?

Trashzer and TrashNate having trashbaby

Purity of sample

What a racismo!

Selzer only drinks rainwater and grain alcohol while polling. Fluoridation corrupts the sample

giphy.gif

thefro

Looks like Survey USA with their superior sample size cancelled out Selzer in the 538 model.

Clinton only dropped 0.5% in the update with the Selzer FL Poll & ABC/WaPost poll.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just checked out RCP's website for the first time ever. God damn, that's an awful site layout. Horrendous.

Bleurgh.
You can criticize FiveThirtyEight for many things, but layout is not one of them. It admittedly influences why I'm easier on them than people here.

RCP and Sam Wang could use an update.

Wilsongt

Indiana can fuck righ off. Just saw the story pop up again of the police raid of a Get out and Vote nonprofit office which registers mostly black voters.

This fucking election.

This fucking country.

This fucking duck.

DUCK!

I mean... FUCK.

bananas

Banned
Indiana can fuck righ off. Just saw the story pop up again of the police raid of a Get out and Vote nonprofit office which registers mostly black voters.

This fucking election.

This fucking country.

This fucking duck.

DUCK!

I mean... FUCK.

Hillary for prison! Duck for dinner!

What truly baffles me about the people who vote for Trump is how they could stand to watch and listen to him for 4 years as the president. Forget the issues and ideology, just on a human level, how they could tolerate having him in an even bigger spotlight for 4 fucking years. It's almost as hard to relate to them for this reason as much as anything else. What the fuck could be so wrong with a human being that they willingly want to watch and listen to someone like Donald Trump as the leader of the free world for 4 years?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm confused about what polls Sam Wang uses in his model. In the FAQ it says this:

Sam Wang said:
We use all available state polls, with a preference for likely-voter polls over registered-voter polls when both are released. We do not exclude any poll.

In the sidebar he links to scraped polls. Doesn't scraped usually mean removed? Or is that using scraped as collected?

Seriously, why is everyone so sure of a Hillary win? I look at the national polls and sure she's up, but things could swing pretty hard. I hope not. FL and NC are the ones I worry about. If she takes either, that will be great! I realize that she can win without those states, but other things could fall in place for him.

Boy howdy am I ever excited to see another neck-and-neck horse race narrative kick into gear in the next few days. Make the last week and change real exciting.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Seriously, why is everyone so sure of a Hillary win? I look at the national polls and sure she's up, but things could swing pretty hard. I hope not. FL and NC are the ones I worry about. If she takes either, that will be great! I realize that she can win without those states, but other things could fall in place for him.

If she wins OH, FL, or NC. It's over. She needs only one to call it early. Even without those, she still wins (as you mentioned). It's looking pretty good for her.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

No one has ever come back from a 3 point national deficit with a month go to.

She has a 7-9 point deficit with less than 2 weeks to go.

On top of all of that, she only needs states that she has a greater than 90% chance of winning to hit 270. Which means she doesn't need a single swing state or even state that leans slightly her way to vote for her to become president.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Boy howdy am I ever excited to see another neck-and-neck horse race narrative kick into gear in the next few days. Make the last week and change real exciting.

Like clockwork, now Joe Scarborough gets to brag about how he was right about the The Tightening by bringing up that poll.

CNN is already going with that FL poll as a frontpage article.

No, they can't. Almost 10% of the votes are already in. Early voting looks terrible everywhere for the GOP except Ohio. She has literally been leading all year.

Thaedolus

He has a 7-9 point deficit with less than 2 weeks to go.

On top of all of that, she only needs states that she has a greater than 90% chance of winning to hit 270. Which means she doesn't need a single swing state or even state that leans slightly her way to vote for her to become president.

Yeah but did you see the Seahawks and Cardinals game?

It looks like Trump is getting a slight bump from Republicans falling back in line. Basically when he's less in the news and not getting accused of sexual assault on a daily basis Republicans revert to preferring him to Killary. Whether they come out to vote is another question. Trump's approval with GOP voters in gallup reflects this:

CvsbbHVUEAUP3Ni.jpg

It would take some cataclysmic at this point against Clinton for her to lose. And even then she would probably still win when a large amount of people will vote early. I would also be a lot more nervous if Trump had a ground game to make up some of the deficit we see in the polls.

Blader

The drop off from 64 to 34, then back up to 66, cracks me up. Like who the fuck hated Trump one day, then 24 hours later decided I guess I actually like him after all?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Scraped as in collected. When you use a media-scraper it's searching defined sites for content and collating it in a single place.
Alright then. I think that significantly weakens the criticism here of what polls FiveThirtyEight uses, at least for individual states. Back in 2012 Sam Wang wrote a piece about how he factors in pollsters that tend to lean toward one party, using Rasmussen as an example.

That said, he does mention his distinction from other aggregators:
Final question: if medians are so great, then why don’t other aggregators like FiveThirtyEight use them? One reason is that intuitively, readers want uncertainty about the future to be baked into the estimate, even if it’s a snapshot of where things are today. Another is that media organizations are under pressure to attract readers, and artificial uncertainty attracts readers. However, to me that seems like spitting in the soup.
That could very well be the case, but I'm no expert. I don't know how many other people in forecasting believing using medians is the correct approach. I just see them as different, but I do value his opinion more than 538. That still makes them far from trash.

It looks like Trump is getting a slight bump from Republicans falling back in line. Basically when he's less in the news and not getting accused of sexual assault on a daily basis Republicans revert to preferring him to Killary. Whether they come out to vote is another question. Trump's approval with GOP voters reflects this:

CvsbbHVUEAUP3Ni.jpg

Trash voters love trash candidate, so long as they aren't constantly confronted by the trashiness of it all.

'Mericuh

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The drop off from 64 to 34, then back up to 66, cracks me up. Like who the fuck hated Trump one day, then 24 hours later decided I guess I actually like him after all?

Probably someone who remembered the death of Benjamin Ghazi.

Women secretly fantasizing about Trump, polls oversampling D's, liberal men still stuck in their parent's basement because all the single women only want to fuck Trump, Hillary halloween mask sales are way down...

Not looking good folks.

He has a 7-9 point deficit with less than 2 weeks to go.

True, but I'd rather see voters completely disseminate Trump. Not really to teach the GOP a lesson (because they aren't going to learn anything from this election), but to watch Trump and his base tear apart the RINO liberal GOP because it was all their fault Trump lost.

royalan

Why do people even invite Giuliani on if they're not going to push back against his constant lies. He bulies them all. This interview is disgraceful.

Zeke

So I've heard about this Hilary sold Russia 20% of American uranium a few times. Can anyone point me to some good articles on this or give me a run down on this allegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom