• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

If Hillary is +7 nationally, I dont know why she's +2 or 3 in BG states. Remember in 2012 when national polls showing Mittens leading Obama? Black mamba showed they were bunk because they heavily weighted south, a traditionally strong GOP region. I hope nothing of the sort is happening with Hillary.

Trump's probably not leading by much in the South if he's getting crushed in Virginia, losing florida, is down slightly in NC, and the gap between him and hilary is under 10 points in Texas, SC and GA. Racking up huge leads in OK, AL,LA and etc won't help him win the south by a ton.

Grief.exe

It actually doesn't help. Either Hillary gets 270 or Trump wins, McMullin winning Utah doesn't help.

It could help in 2020 where a legitimate third party candidate is, again, pealing points away from the Republican party. Either keeping those electoral votes away from the Republicans, or giving the Democrats the win.

thefro

It actually doesn't help. Either Hillary gets 270 or Trump wins, McMullin winning Utah doesn't help.

There's a possible, but highly unlikely scenario where McMullin wins Utah, neither Hillary/Trump get 270, Dems make enough house gains to flip a few state delegations, McMullin wins over a state delegation or two outside Utah, and then Trump can't get a majority of state delegations to support him in the House.

ampere

aXVFhtDl.jpg

Done

It could help in 2020 where a legitimate third party candidate is, again, pealing points away from the Republican party. Either keeping those electoral votes away from the Republicans, or giving the Democrats the win.

Utah won't be competitive in 2020, this is a one cycle freak event.

I'd like to point out that Obama won about 45% of the vote in GA in 2012, and Carter and Nunn also got about 45% in 2014, a midterm. Id guess Clinton's lowest possible performance will be 47%- 48%

There's a possible, but highly unlikely scenario where McMullin wins Utah, neither Hillary/Trump get 270, Dems make enough house gains to flip a few state delegations, McMullin wins over a state delegation or two outside Utah, and then Trump can't get a majority of state delegations to support him in the House.

This is impossible. Any scenario where Dems make those House gains is one where Hillary wins in a landslide.

mo60

It depends on who the republicans nominate. If it's another trump like candidate that is as awful as trump is Utah may be competitive again. McMullin or Hilary winning Utah may force the GOP to prevent a candidate that is unappealing to people in Utah from winning the republican nomination again.

Grief.exe

Hillary is going to be closer to 400 EV than 270.

Ya, you're right.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
lol wait a minute, that CNN Ohio poll has Clinton only up 3 among women

that seems... wonky

It does.

I mean, it's Ohio. I wouldn't be surprised by anything there, but even so. That seems very, very low.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As for Ohio, Michael McDonald is pointing this out (and has been for a week or two):

Early voting for democrats this time around is well below what it was at this time in 2012--especially in democratic strongholds. May not just be an early voting trend--it might be an Ohio-as-a-whole trend.

My expectation would be that if McMuffin won Utah and no one hit 270, the House would pick Trump. Remember, the GOP is terrified of Trump's base. Of course this is all academic, since Clinton will easily surpass 270.

mo60

Hilary is probably going to win ohio by 3 or 4 points if she wins by a high single digit margin. I'm not to worried about Ohio right now.

Barzul

My expectation would be that if McMuffin won Utah and no one hit 270, the House would pick Trump. Remember, the GOP is terrified of Trump's base. Of course this is all academic, since Clinton will easily surpass 270.

This scenario won't happen. McMullin winning Utah won't decide this election, him winning it only guarantees a more embarrassing Trump loss, which is what I'm hoping for.

Why is Masto surging? Is Heck being punished for betraying the Don?

Yep, Trump wins if it goes to the House. McMuffin is a silly dream.

I am not unskewing anything.

However, that CNN Ohio poll is absolutely bullshit.

Franklin county is responsible for 10% of the entire vote total that comes out of the state. (That's Columbus). It is second only to Cuyahoga county in the number of votes it gives to each candidate.

CNN is unable to get a representative sample in that area. That's simply not possible. Their regional breakdowns make zero sense. Their gender splits make no sense.

They would pick McMuffin.

Interesting. Certainly I can be pretty sure they would prefer him, but I'd think they'd be terrified of being punished by Trump voters in 2018 and beyond. But I'll take your word for it.

This scenario won't happen. McMullin winning Utah won't decide this election, him winning it only guarantees a more embarrassing Trump loss, which is what I'm hoping for.

Oh yeah, it's a total fantasy scenario for sure.

Pyrokai

I am not unskewing anything.

However, that CNN Ohio poll is absolutely bullshit.

Franklin county is responsible for 10% of the entire vote total that comes out of the state. (That's Columbus). It is second only to Cuyahoga county in the number of votes it gives to each candidate.

CNN is unable to get a representative sample in that area. That's simply not possible. Their regional breakdowns make zero sense. Their gender splits make no sense.

Preach. As a Franklin County resident, this is Clinton territory :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If Hillary is +7 nationally, I dont know why she's +2 or 3 in BG states. Remember in 2012 when national polls showing Mittens leading Obama? Black mamba showed they were bunk because they heavily weighted south, a traditionally strong GOP region. I hope nothing of the sort is happening with Hillary.

In 2012, OH ended up -1 compared to national vote and NC was -5. There's also plenty reason to believe OH and NV will shift toward trump relative to the national average. They may be "battleground states" but only in the sense that Trump 100% has to win them, and it seems very possible he wont. None of those states are likely to be required for Clinton to win.

If CO, PA, or NH polls start showing a close race, then you can start to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom