• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

I mean it's cute that he took out "indivisible" but we salute to one American flag and pledge allegiance to it as one nation under God. And I know that last bit was stealth-added decades ago and I think the whole thing is weird, but still.

CCS is British (I think) so I wasn't sure if he was recoiling in horror at the very idea and was unfamiliar with the US pledge of allegiance.

I'm taking it as "under one God" being the thing.

sazzy

I figured out why I really hate listening to Wolf Blitzer.

Its the way he talks with a weird emphasis on words...

"Hillary Clinton's paid Wall Street speeches"

vs

"Hillary Clinton's paid [pause] Wall Street speeches"

urgh

CCS

Banned
I mean it's cute that he took out "indivisible" but we salute to one American flag and pledge allegiance to it as one nation under God. And I know that last bit was stealth-added decades ago and I think the whole thing is weird, but still.

CCS is British (I think) so I wasn't sure if he was recoiling in horror at the very idea and was unfamiliar with the US pledge of allegiance.

I'm British, but I am familiar with the pledge. It's not the pledge that horrifies me, it's the obvious xenophobia behind replacing nation with people and the more disguised religious bigotry behind the emphasis of ONE god.

Only on CNN can Hillary admitting she no longer shares the struggles of the middle class but she hasn't forgotten can be spun into: "this raises questions of Clinton's sincerity about the middle class"

CCS

Banned
I just think that was all already there and barely trying to hide. I suppose my larger point is that the pledge of allegiance is already creepy!

That's fair! Weirdly I don't really have a problem with the pledge, because I find it hard to get too worked up about phrases that have been around for ages. It's why I'll sing God Save The Queen despite being a) an atheist and b) a republican (small r) :p

EDIT: kids having to recite it every day is weird af though

That's fair! Weirdly I don't really have a problem with the pledge, because I find it hard to get too worked up about phrases that have been around for ages. It's why I'll sing God Save The Queen despite being a) an atheist and b) a republican (small r) :p

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

And by Queen I mean me. XD

Diablos

Looks too close to call for me. Hillary is barely at 50. Undecideds will break away from the incumbent party the way they did for President Kerry.
What

Also fuck McCain. He's making it very clear that the Senate will reject any Hillary SCOTUS nominee if they hold the chamber. FUCK you.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm being honest here, this Trump TV or Trump Network or whatever this monstrosity is scares the shit outta me. Giving guys like Bannon or Milo or Alex Jones their own network to take holds of people's minds with...it's dangerous. Even if it fails, it would embolden some of the darkest parts of America. It would turn Trump and the rest into martyrs in the minds of alt-righters.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I figured out why I really hate listening to Wolf Blitzer.

Its the way he talks with a weird emphasis on words...

"Hillary Clinton's paid Wall Street speeches"

vs

"Hillary Clinton's paid [pause] Wall Street speeches"

urgh

People talk about automation taking people's jobs. I don't know if I'm as alarmed as some people on that subject, but an autonomous robot could definitely take Wolf Blitzer's job. That guy is a walking meat sack who says the words in front of him.

thebloo

I'm being honest here, this Trump TV or Trump Network or whatever this monstrosity is scares the shit outta me. Giving guys like Bannon or Milo or Alex Jones their own network to take holds of people's minds with...it's dangerous. Even if it fails, it would embolden some of the darkest parts of America. It would turn Trump and the rest into martyrs in the minds of alt-righters.

If it's any comfort, consider this:

1. Starting a TV "news" network in 2017 is a bad idea.
2. It'll be a Trump business.

Salvadora

That McCain quote genuinely makes me angry because you know they would follow through.

The excuse of waiting for the "next President" would morph into Clinton not being legitimate or not having a mandate.

It's a little scary, but if it succeeds I think it solidifies the fracturing of the GOP and all but ensures another extreme candidate in 2020.

kess

That McCain quote genuinely makes me angry because you know they would follow through.

The excuse of waiting for the "next President" would morph into Clinton not being legitimate or not having a mandate.

I half expect Metaphoreus to float in here and defend this like he defended waiting until after the election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom