• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

As Obama has shown, you can actually get a surprising amount of stuff done as president without the help of congress.

With a liberal SC, she's going to have a lot more leeway with executive actions than Obama had.
That's why we need the Senate or she won't get her SCOTUS.

If she does I hope she enacts a public option via EO to save Obamacare. It's risky but fuck it

I pray the dems take Congress. If not HillDawgs presidential term will be filled with hearing on emails,bengazhi, the devil inside Hillary.....

Hillary should be able to get a phenomenal amount of shit done with a D house and Senate.

Personally i think the filibuster should be nuked right off the bat. Demographic changes have put republicans in such a deep hole that the presidency is off the table for a very long time.

Who cares if the filibuster exists or not in that case? just have a D president veto any legislation that might make it through if republicans take back the house and senate.

With only have to worry about a simple majority, you could pass the most progressive legislation seen in this country since the new deal. That HAS to be worth the risk, especially since waiting around for another supermajority is a fool's errand.

Can we talk about how horrible that Clinton Election song is

She cannot follow up Obama's exquisite taste in music with that bubblegum plastic schlock

Of course, that's how it should work, and having the Speakership back in Nancy Smash! hands is the better option, but a slim majority for Ryan keeps the fear of purple-district Repubs teaming up with Dems to pass SOMETHING, a reality. More importantly, it limits the amount of concessions he can extract to put those deals on the schedule.

Eventually, fear of losing swing-districts will outweigh the mewling and skullduggery of the Freedom Caucus crazies

I sure hope so, but I'm not very faithful in the current batch of Republicans for obvious reasons lol.

di-T1MH.gif

Pyrokai

He apparently never read it:

One of the last tweets of the series:

"There's NO scandal here. No quid pro quo. No HRC wrongdoing. Routine stuff is being made to look suspicious."

Virtually every Clinton "Scandal" is that way.

Every Single Time

It's infuriating.

Considering the sheet amount of hacked information released, i'm quite impressed how clean Dems and Clinton are right now. If people want a non-corrupt party, seems like a damn good choice right now.

I read the article describing it, not the Twitter thread, sorry. I will do so now!

And yeah, I realize that itsfuckingnothing.gif, but will the public realize this? Will she have a good response at the debate? That's the kind of stuff I worry about.

hiryu2015

I have been a registered AZ voter all my life (even in 2004 when my inaugural vote was contested and thrown out--never registered Dem again after that) but due to my family moving and me starting a career outside the state, I didn't have a proper home address to update my voter registration. So I am gonna vote in a safe PNW state and can't contribute to Hillary's chances in AZ as I wanted to avoid voter fraud charges in the small small chance the bad man should win. It annoys me every day I see the AZ polls narrowing.

Cyanity

Banned
Hillary should be able to get a phenomenal amount of shit done with a D house and Senate.

Personally i think the filibuster should be nuked right off the bat. Demographic changes have put republicans in such a deep hole that the presidency is off the table for a very long time.

Who cares if the filibuster exists or not in that case? just have a D president veto any legislation that might make it through if republicans take back the house and senate.

With only have to worry about a simple majority, you could pass the most progressive legislation seen in this country since the new deal. That HAS to be worth the risk, especially since waiting around for another supermajority is a fool's errand.

The filibuster is kind of a necessary evil though. If we nuke it, and the republicans regain the senate in 2018, then what kind of defense will dems have against the batshit stuff they want to pass? We'll have dug our own grave.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I read the article describing it, not the Twitter thread, sorry. I will do so now!

And yeah, I realize that itsfuckingnothing.gif, but will the public realize this? Will she have a good response at the debate? That's the kind of stuff I worry about.

I mean it kind of doesn't even have to do with her personally

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

We all miss links and shit, no worries.

If she has no good response to the question at the debate, assuming it comes up, it is on her. It should not be that difficult to formulate a response given the facts of the case. She does tend to fear going into details and nuance in the debates, so that part does worry me a bit. It would be a great time to delve into the surface of the fucked up classification system, since it plays directly into that.

Boke1879

Don't know if she'll have a good answer for the debate, but this is why you prep. If anything the answer should be simple.

That said I feel all of this is lumped into the category of "emails" Is this really going to change anyones mind? I guess it depends on how much the media goes in on this but I feel after the 3rd debate this shit won't really move the needle.

The filibuster is kind of a necessary evil though. If we nuke it, and the republicans regain the senate in 2018, then what kind of defense will dems have against the batshit stuff they want to pass? We'll have dug our own grave.

I already addressed this. You have the veto.

Republicans have lost black and latino voters to such an extent that carrying a large enough percentage of the white vote to make that up in a presidential election is implausible- and i mean 68-70% of the white vote carried by the republican candidate. Even landslides like Reagan/Mondale weren't that high.

And this doesn't take into account all of the damage done to women voters this cycle.

Republicans aren't likely to fix the insane amounts of bridge burning they've done with minorities for 15 or 20 years. With that much padding built in, take the fucking risk. forget the filibuster.

Cyanity

Banned
Hillary just finished 7 hours of debate prep.

Jesus, she almost preps *too* much

I already addressed this. You have the veto.

Republicans have lost black and latino voters to such an extent that carrying a large enough percentage of the white vote to make that up is implausible- and i mean 68-70% of the white vote carried by the republican candidate. Even landslides like Reagan/Mondale weren't that high.

And this doesn't take into account all of the damage done to women voters this cycle.

Republicans aren't likely to fix the insane amounts of bridge burning they've done with minorities for 15 or 20 years. With that much padding built in, take the fucking risk. forget the filibuster.

We're talking about a candidate who needs 10 pages of information before entering a cafe. She's not going to take the risk required to get rid of the filibuster.

Syncytia

Maddow is outlining a map of where Bernie has been for Clinton over the past few weeks. I am impressed and thankful. He's going to Arizona tomorrow for two events.

Thank you, Bernie! {*salute*}

I really wish I could see him but the drive is a bit much for Flagstaff and I'm working nights now so Tucson doesn't work out. But I'm not working Thursday so I get to see Michelle. I'm so excited. And I finally donated to the campaign.

We're talking about a candidate who needs 10 pages of information before entering a cafe. She's not going to take the risk required to get rid of the filibuster.

Senate Majority leader is going to make that call. I can't say who that's going to be, but Reid is on his way out so it won't be him.

Maybe somebody ballsier will want to go for it.

But even so, hillary has to know that the republican party is in shambles and won't be able to mount a decent candidate against her in 2020 no matter what happens- but democrats WILL be losing the house in 2018. that one is unavoidable.

So you have two years to define your presidency. You can nuke the filibuster and put yourself in the history books by fixing obamacare, revamping education, and passing progressive legislation for women etc- or you can cling to it and have the republicans filibuster everything until the democrats get wiped out in 2018 and can't pass bills anymore.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Senate Majority leader is going to make that call. I can't say who that's going to be, but Reid is on his way out so it won't be him.

Maybe somebody ballsier will want to go for it.

But even so, hillary has to know that the republican party is in shambles and won't be able to mount a decent candidate against her in 2020 no matter what happens- but democrats WILL be losing the house in 2018. that one is unavoidable.

So you have two years to define your presidency. You can nuke the filibuster and put yourself in the history books by fixing obamacare, revamping education, and passing progressive legislation for women etc- or you can cling to it and have the republicans filibuster everything until the democrats get wiped out in 2018 and can't pass bills anymore.

Schumer is going to be the Majority Leader, if the Dems win, and he's not going to get rid of the filibuster. It's not about balls, it's about if the GOP ever winds Congress and the Presidency at the same time again.

Schumer is going to be the Majority Leader, if the Dems win, and he's not going to get rid of the filibuster.

If the Dems win the house its very possible that Schumer would get rid of the filibuster entirely. The last six years of Republican obstruction has changed everyone's view of it.

Syncytia

Too Presidential? Oh no!
Would rather have too good opposed to Trump

Not sure how being too prepared is a bad thing for the Presidency though

Whoooosh

It's a meme(?) from I think one of the gears of war games.

OBAMA has no experience though so maybe she is too prepared. Some reason my phone autocorrected obama to caps. And then didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom