• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
It's more like, what the fuck do we do?
You can look back at most elections and see what went wrong.

I don't see what went wrong, not without giving up core tenets of tolerance and understanding liberals hold close.

Uneducated whites being fed Republican talk radio for the last 16 years and rising up in record numbers. We're all living in a bubble, we just don't understand how many of them there are.

thebloo

Because in all the hubbub and focus on increased minority voters, they completely ignored the rural white voter.

So, Plinko. I want to apologize. You were right, I was wrong. Michigan sucks, even if it (by a miracle) flips to Hillary.

Stay safe, guys. I think I'm off the Internet for this week.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Well this is it. We elected Trump. My god.... I hope we aren't at war this time next year. I have lost so much faith in my country...

Mcmullin stole a lot of votes from Hilary , I still think she could win but Trumps has the momentum and votes in the too early to call states

witness

The morning will be awful, my wife passed out drunk a couple of hours ago when this all started going of the cliff. She will wake up and just burst into tears again, and so will I.

Kid Heart

America spoke, and decided that what they wanted was racism, sexism, Islamophobia, homophobia and "white America."

What a fucking disgrace.

I'm so sorry Adam. I have been lurking in this thread for as long as back in the beginning of the primaries and always enjoyed seeing your posts with drag queen gifs and anecdotal stories about your life. I always appreciated the work you put in in Ohio to try to help us out as I know it was something I could still never do around my state. I know it doesn't really mean anything now, but from the bottom of my heart thank you so much for trying man.

Link

The Autumn Wind
To everyone saying they are bolting the country, we need everyone here to fight for the soul of the country going forward. America is the most powerful country in the world and we need to take every opportunity to try and steer it in the right direction, even after this colossal failure.
Fight how? We're going to have President Trump with a Republican controlled Senate, House, and Supreme Court, along with a majority of states under Republican control. We're simply outnumbered here. We're completely fucked and there's literally nothing we can do.

US Attorney General John Mitchell predicts, “This country is going so far to the right you are not even going to recognize it.

John Mitchell, 1970.

Time is a circle. We'll be lucky if Trump's Presidency is merely Nixonian.

I want to sleep but I can't, this is just awful. There will be lots of drinking this week after work, holy shit man. This is the most devastating and terrifying thing in my 33 years on this planet. I'm now convinced that this countries best days are behind us.

Same here and same age. Going through the Reps impeaching Clinton and then the Bush years pretty much made me a permanent Liberal/Progressive. Can't believe the country did this. The hate for Clinton knows no bounds I guess.

Crosseyes

Banned
Many will want to move further left
We must move further left. Unless things go absolutely catastrophic in the first 4 years that make the middle more appealing to that rural white vote they need to be driven.

Going, "well maybe we can just leave all those gay rights stuff to the states." won't help. If the dem's go that way then they'll end up being the party that needs to be destroyed all along.

The two ideological extremes are the most popular sides right now. Conflict will arise and the left needs to be in power or be prepared to pay with blood. The clock started tonight.

rjinaz

America was not ready to vote for a woman president in 2016.

I'm not so sure that's true. I just think the hate for Hillary was that bad. But then, the reason there has been decades of smearing her is because she is a powerful woman that didn't mesh well with a lot of Republicans and their ideals of what a woman should act like.

So I guess I would say, yes and no? I don't think many people voted against her because she was a woman, but, in the end, they did even if they didn't realize it because they believed all the bs because they wanted to believe it. It's complicated.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to consider not paying attention to politics anymore. Not that I won't vote or do things...

but this might be it for me in Poli-Gaf and my immense interest in political discussion.

Maybe I'm just depressed but i don't know how to process this. My family is in shock. My girlfriend...my friends. Everyone I know is in shock. And this is so fucking depressing...I don't feel like I would ever want to care about politics this much ever again.

Yeah, I just don't know what to do from here on. Keep my head low and my minority self out of hateful eyes. What a shameful result

I don't even know how to feel right now.

I can't even process what's happened. Polling was off by so much, it's as if it never even existed. I don't even know what's going on, it feels unreal. There was no data for this. Nothing indicated this was going to happen. I don't function well without data. When it doesn't add up and doesn't work out in my head how something like this happened. I sort of just shut down.

The only silver lining is Obama now has a moral imperative to stay involved in politics; or at least come back more quickly. He still came out popular in the exits.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, Plinko. I want to apologize. You were right, I was wrong. Michigan sucks, even if it (by a miracle) flips to Hillary.

Stay safe, guys. I think I'm off the Internet for this week.

No problem. Just called it as I saw it. Thought the board was getting ludicrous saying Trump had no chance.

Crocodile

Let's try this one more time - Trump IS NOT an economic populist. His "policies" are supply side economics and Paul Ryan would push that sort of budget through. It's hard to argue the Democrats should move left when what seems like it could win and the policies that would follow are going to move the country further to the right.

Pixieking

Banned
Yep.

The overton window just shifted.

Yup.

It's now okay to:

1) Sexually assault women
2) Be a racist
3) Be a sexist
4) Threaten to jail your political opponents
5) Threaten and mock journalists and newspapers
6) Be a politician but know nothing about policy

Because the fucking President of the United States does all that.

But, in the vein of Trump, I'll say something...

You know those Second Amendment Rights you guys have...

(Oh, and, hey, this is okay for me to say, because President-Elect Trump said it!)

FUCK THAT

Fight them with every last ounce of strength. The Dems must stop bending over for corporations and portray themselves as the party of the people.

Do not give in to Nazis EVER. The GOP are literally run now by a fascist. Treat him and the entire party like what the are. They are enemies.

Ok, and we will be heading towards accelerationism.

It will get ugly real quick.

jiggle

I feel so devasted and emptied and numbed right now
Fighting hard not to get jaded also

I desperately need a distraction but can't come up with anything :(

Finalizer

Excitement wins every election

Excitement didn't win. Regression won.

He spoke to people who've wanted to take this country back decades that no one else has reached for a long time. As much fun as it is to ponder over a Sanders candidacy, I question whether it was really a working class appeal that's getting Trump the presidency, or just good 'ole fashioned bigotry and hatred.

Grief.exe

I can't even process what's happened. Polling was off by so much, it's as if it never even existed. I don't even know what's going on, it feels unreal. There was no data for this. Nothing indicated this was going to happen. I don't function well without data. When it doesn't add up and doesn't work out in my head how something like this happened. I sort of just shut down.

Ya I'm so dead emotionally.

Breads

Banned
So many people are acting that bigotry is back now. Like.. right now that the people have spoken and have elected Trump. That's when it came back.

It never left.

It's just out in the open now.

Don't lose your cool over it. Very little has changed... though now we do indeed have the added uncertainty of a moldy orange puppet as president. Keep fighting the good fight though. You can only lose if you give up.

Fucking Giuliani as AG and Newt Gengrich as anything though. What an awful day.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

yup

Same shit happened in 2000. It's like we can only get 8 good years because the 18-25 demo is coddled during their teenage and college years.

Yep. Look I was young and naive one time hell I even considered myself an anarchist at one point. Then I fucking grew up and had to deal with Bush daddy and son. Kids can poke fun at age all they want but we seen shit and if you don't get your stupid ideas in check quick and realize you have a party all along that is willing to change with you if you put effort into it and change it from within it is willing to give you a viable future that works for all this shit will continue. This third party shit in an American democracy, I think some of us have lived enough and can tell you its a fucking delusional naive idea. Change the party from within and make it yours don't vote third party. Its a wasted vote. 3rd party is a death sentence for democratic gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom