• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

I've got to be honest--you all in here talking about the democrats moving right are completely wrong.

The democrats need to move further left. Start promising things to people. Free health care. No taxes under $55000 income. Universal income. THAT is how you get back rural whites.

They vote against their own interests constantly.

I feel like really liberal states are gonna go even further left to fight this bullshit. The DOJ won't help out with discrimination and the police now. Gotta sort that shit out yourself. Same with abortion, education, wages. People are gonna have to find their own Scotland somewhere. By the way doesn't the ACA have some kind of clause that lets states set up a public option?
Maybe there's a shining light at the end of the tunnel, in that there will be states that move rapidly towards progress. Stuff like public healthcare, education reform, stuff like that, states can handle if they work towards it.

But that doesn't help the millions who won't live in the safe haven blue states like CA and NY.

My biggest question is this: Will republicans actually overturn Roe v. Wade? They've used the abortion argument to their advantage for decades. If they overturn it, that boogeyman is gone.

We'll see won't we? Just like Obamacare as well. Do they want to be responsible for the shit they unleash? Part of me says yes since they are never punished for it. Obama spent his first term cleaning up after Bush with barely any Republican help. Yet they were rewarded.

mjp2417

Banned
I want to know what hurt Hillary most:

1. Hidden vote in rural areas by pandering to the worst in US society
2. Comey's last minute bullshit blunting a surge in Dem momentum during the final hour
3. Third party candidates

I think all three of these played in big role, but the question is what exactly pushed Trump over the top? I won't be able to move on from this until I know.

Number 1 overwhelmingly. If we turn this into a referendum on Comey or Jill fucking Stein we've already lost 2020.

2. Comey's last minute bullshit blunting a surge in Dem momentum during the final hour

I think all three of these played in big role, but the question is what exactly pushed Trump over the top? I won't be able to move on from this until I know.

Number 1, easily. Number 2 IMO, was her baggage allowing the media to play up the "both sides are the same" bullshit, legitimizing Trumps' craziness

PInk Tape

Banned
You know, as much as I really didn't want that fuckstick orange cheeto to win, I also honestly wanted Hillary to win. Sure, i wasn't her biggest fan, but for all the shit she suffered through, not just in this election, but for the past 30 years, ever since she entered government, she really deserved to win.

I would have been so happy and excited to see her finally get what she deserved. More happy than the Cubs winning the World series happy tbh.

If they overturn it, the boogeyman will be reinstating Roe v Wade. Nothing changes unless the Democrats give up fighting for reproductive rights.

The worst part is now they know they can win the waiting game. Sure, they may lose big in one election but now that they know obstruction works that's all they have to do and they'll be back in power soon enough.

Pixieking

Banned

There was a Clinton (I think?) ad that featured Trump talking about Muslims, but the word Muslim was replaced with the word Jew.

I fear that that acted as an incentive for some.

You think people will learn this time?

Nah of course now I expect nothing.

Only if Trump causes a depression. And it sucks to think that people must suffer to see their consequences. Not a place we should be in society.

I personally think we'll endure but it is going to be hectic.

Toxi

Banned

1. And that's why this is horrifying.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The Republican Strategist on PBS' live footage is right on the money. It isn't about elites vs. non-elites. It is about racism. This guy gets it. He's ashamed.

Nafai1123

Banned

Why does it have to be any single thing? It's a numbers game. Whoever has the numbers at the end wins. Any of those things could impact the numbers in some tangible way. No point in trying to single out which exact factor caused it when the answer is all of them.

mAcOdIn

My biggest question is this: Will republicans actually overturn Roe v. Wade? They've used the abortion argument to their advantage for decades. If they overturn it, that boogeyman is gone.
Wouldn't the new Boogeyman be Democrats reinstating it then? Doesn't seem like a loss for Republicans.

Bowdz

This is like a flat earther learning that the world is round. My entire world view is shattered. Like, I don't know what to think about anything.

Maybe there's a shining light at the end of the tunnel, in that there will be states that move rapidly towards progress. Stuff like public healthcare, education reform, stuff like that, states can handle if they work towards it.

But that doesn't help the millions who won't live in the safe haven blue states like CA and NY.

No fucking kidding, as a resident of MO I now not only have a president with no government experience but a governor with none as well. And I have no doubt this state is getting redder and redder with every election.

My American friends: democracy doesn't end when you cast your vote. Democracy is much more than that. Engage in local politics, call your representatives, organize demonstrations... by all means, don't let this be a defeat. Don't quit, because this is far from over. The times ahead may be rough, but you will pull through. Raise your voice. Let this election serve as a reminder not to take anything for granted in politics. You can be sad today, I am too and I'm not even American, but from tomorrow on don't let the GOP destroy all the progress you've accomplished in the last 60 years. From tomorrow on, fight!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wouldn't the new Boogeyman be Democrats reinstating it then? Doesn't seem like a loss for Republicans.

How could they argue that with a conservative Supreme Court?

bomma_man

I've got to be honest--you all in here talking about the democrats moving right are completely wrong.

The democrats need to move further left. Start promising things to people. Free health care. No taxes under $55000 income. Universal income. THAT is how you get back rural whites.

As long as black people are getting those benefits too? Good luck.

Pixieking

Banned

I think RBG wrote something in a recent SCOTUS case that essentially put it in the law for good. I hope so... Out of all the laws and rights I admire in the US, Roe is the one I admire most.

Grief.exe

It will likely continue the status quo of continued erosions of the voting rights act and Roe v Wade, just enough to advance their agenda, but not enough to draw mainstream attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom