• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosseyes

Banned
So I guess Bernie Sanders has become the de-facto leader of the Democratic Party?

I don't see how the Dems will want to continue to associate the party with the Clinton brand. Toxic from
now on.
You have to embrace his style of ideas. How else do you get back that white rural majority to a winnable level that has clearly spoken louder than anyone this election?

Louder than african americans, louder than latinos...

You can't just pray they'll be satisfied after this election and shut up next time around. They're mobilized. You have to give them reason to drive their anger against groups like Wall St. and the rich instead of letting a demagogue like Trump focus it at foreign countries and minorities.

Else there will be no recourse but conflict.

Hell, if the economy gets fucked hard enough under Trump, it's pretty much guaranteed a Dem will take over in the election after, so long as said Dem gets the pitch right. It's just gonna be an excruciating journey to that point.

We need to figure out who to prop up, because he(or she) better be a fucking all-star. (the supreme court though... I'm so depressed right now)

If anything positive comes from this mess, is the sweet dead of D A T A worshiping.

Yeah, complex statistical models are full of stuff that produces drift, errors and uncertainty and shouldn't be held like the gold standard for the formulation of inferences.

Is kind of weird but I think that the people that trust statistics so much are either making money of it or know little of how it actually works.

Don'tBeThatGuy

By doing the "not my president" nonsense you are coming off no better than the people who did the same when Obama was elected.

This thread is already the mirror image of the election night meltdowns on certain not-to-be-named right wing forums.

Albeit, with slightly more merit.

who was it

who was it that said that even if white people voted for him, that only made up 40% of the vote?

who said that a candidate running for only white people would win?

I watch this video of pence walking out. I don't believe it. I'm fucking in a dream.

Who was it that said white people by themselves couldn't elect a president?

no what's happened tonight

race traitors and white people stood up against progress

they stood up against women and minorities

they stood up for violence against black people by the police community

they stood up against helping our allies

they ahve stood up for antagonizing other countries

I had hope policgaf. You gave me hope. the polls gave me hope. Twitter gave me hope. I was hoping that social media would pave a new way that elctions happen. That ignorance and hatred would fade. Instead it became stronger.

For those of you who told me that my fear of trump being elected after blazing through teh primaries, fuck you. you gave me false hope.

for those of you who believed in the dignity of humanity, I'm sorry. Humanity has failed you.

my god

here we are

Obama please send a drone to trump tower. Please.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure about that. Clinton was discussing her plan (possibly the most progressive plan in American history) as if there were no legislative obstacles. There's no way she would have been able to get a massive infrastructure plan, college affordability, immigration reform, etc through a Republican House, yet she kept saying that we're going to do it as if she could cajole legislators. I don't think promising an even more progressive platform was the solution here, because only a small segment of the population actually wants a single payer system, etc. Obama won twice and his policies weren't all that much more expansive, perhaps even less so.

Obama didn't have to worry about the huge unexpected turn out of white rural voters. It's possible hatred of Clinton could have been the motivating factor, but it seems more likely a liking of trump is the bigger factor.

I know economic populism doesn't sell to minorities or general republicans, but it could sell to these forgoten rural voters. Racism and sexism also sells to those voters, but I don't think we want to go that route.

Edit: And it's not even really about progressive vs conservative, it's just about promising something they can get excited about as something positive worth voting for.

Don'tBeThatGuy

By doing the "not my president" nonsense you are coming off no better than the people who did the same when Obama was elected.

Honestly, I'm almost to the point of saying fuck them. Ethics, playing fair, being a decent human being and taking the high road is obviously not a winning argument.

bomma_man

welcome to the world

where your political affiliation is like a football team

you always go for your football team when they're losers

you always go for it

fuck this world fuck it all

Not really.

Look up John Howard. Biggest dork on earth, second longest serving PM in Aus history.

Not saying it doesn't help, but it has a disproportionate impact in America - you can predict the winner of American presidential elections going back to 1980 (at least) based on charisma alone.

I...I just can't get over it this: So... MSNBC reporting that Trump team has focused on:
—Rudy as AG.
—Newt as Sec. of State.
—Reince as chief of staff.
—Corey as RNC chief.

I mean, he even has Corey in there.

Oh, hey. "Look who's back" on Netflix is a good watch if you want to watch something less disturbing than this upcoming speech. Still disturbing, but less so.

Phased

Where oh where is a sniper when you need him...

Come on we're not doing that are we?

How fucking fast would someone get banned if they said that about Clinton. We had an election and the person we voted for lost. It sucks but let's not devolve into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom