• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Any backup or legal plans to prevent this happening? He can step-down, can't he, but that puts Pence in place. Nothing the Dems/Hillary can do, no matter how obscenely against the people it is? Because let's face it, he's a fucking idiot. Not even some IQ test? And we're certain the EC will vote for him? We heard word of Faithless Electors against Hillary, but nothing against Trump?

(Yes, grasping at straws, but also genuinely curious).

I'm also going to put blinkers on with regards to politics/poligaf for a bit. Literally cannot stand how this is going to turn out, and since I'm not in the US, I can't do anything.

That said, if anyone thinks of something I can do, please PM me. I'm living in Jordan currently, moving someplace else middle of next year, so just generic volunteering is pointless, but I'd be willing to hop on a plane to the US if something of value was needed doing. (Yes, weird thing to say, but I genuinely want to help rescue this situation.)

BSsBrolly

Banned
They would be wise to keep it so they can put forward crazy bills that appeal to their base, but then get blocked by the filibuster. While they are cowards, I don't think a lot of republicans want Trump's crazy legislation to pass. Fillibuster provides them a good reason, and they can continue blaming the democrats for Republicans having no ideas but spending/tux cuts and taking away rights.

...you believe this? Trumps policies are exactly what Republicans want, only amplified.

This is going to be an awkward day. My mother called at about 11 and asked when we could finish our passport applications. Despite a year ago threatening to leave her husband of 35 years when he jokingly talked about buying a gun because they like The Walking Dead, I was asked if I was interested in firearms training once she retires this winter.

I'm floating Puerto Rico as somewhere they can escape with their middle class retirement money and stretch it pretty far. Potentially New Mexico. I have a degree and could probably find an entry-level job as... something.
Since, it's turned a bit into meta-discussion. He has requested this, and is free to come back whenever he wants.
Thanks for this.

Kellyanne is coming up on CNN

I'm interested in seeing if she seems shocked at the results or regretful about what she's helped do to the US.
What is this narrative that she's "one of the good ones"? It's been prevalent all election long and I haven't seen a single ounce of evidence for it.

Vahagn

All of the shitty trump supporters insisting they aren't racist will celebrate with glee when the deportations and Muslim bans start.

Either Dems get their ass together and really accomplish some amazingly effective strategy, or we hope he craters the world economy.

Because white supremacy and Misogyny isn't losing him any votes

mjp2417

Banned
Any backup or legal plans to prevent this happening? He can step-down, can't he, but that puts Pence in place. Nothing the Dems/Hillary can do, no matter how obscenely against the people it is? Because let's face it, he's a fucking idiot. Not even some IQ test? And we're certain the EC will vote for him? We heard word of Faithless Electors against Hillary, but nothing against Trump?

(Yes, grasping at straws, but also genuinely curious).

No, this is America in 2016. It is what it is.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
What is this narrative that she's "one of the good ones"? It's been prevalent all election long and I haven't seen a single ounce of evidence for it.

She occasionally posted a self-aware tweet or made a side comment that indicated she understood the absurd sisyphean task of defending the innumerate bullshit of her candidate. People took that to mean she was just someone doing their job. Alas, the nuremberg defence is not a defence at all!

Piecake

...you believe this? Trumps policies are exactly what Republicans want, only amplified.

Republican politicians? I don't think they want protectionism, whatever the fuck his foreign policy is, and kicking out Muslims and illegals. The Republican establishment are the ones who are in charge of congress. Their views didn't suddenly change because Trump got elected.

Republican voters certainly do want what Trump is saying though

Jooney

They would be wise to keep it so they can put forward crazy bills that appeal to their base, but then get blocked by the filibuster. While they are cowards, I don't think a lot of republicans want Trump's crazy legislation to pass. Fillibuster provides them a good reason, and they can continue blaming the democrats for Republicans having no ideas but spending/tux cuts and taking away rights.

I don't see it that way.

Trump will set the direction and the senate majority will supply the details.

And as a businessman, Trump will not be used to the idea of checks and balances inhibiting executive direction - so the filibuster could be one of the first things to go.

Doesn't work like that. Welcome to democracy.
If Clinton wins the popular vote, her being president would be democratic. ;) What we witnessed is the vague machinery of an archaic system of electors that disproportionately favors the rural voter and geography designed in the 1700s as a way to prevent this very thing from happening. Our institutions have failed.

Phased

If Clinton wins the popular vote, her being president would be democratic. ;) What we witnessed is the vague machinery of an archaic system of electors that disproportionately favors the rural voter and geography designed in the 1700s as a way to prevent this very thing from happening. Our institutions have failed.

Gore also won the popular vote. It doesn't work like that.

Doubt we'll see another female candidate for a long time. That sucks.
People over 65 had a 4 point shift towards Clinton, based on exit polls. I am curious if this reflects older women, who saw this as the last chance of their lives to see a woman elected to the WH.

Which is depressing.

While under 30s saw a 5 point shift to Trump. :|

Piecake

Doubt we'll see another female candidate for a long time. That sucks.

The reasons why she lost are going to be put down to Trump finding that now not so mythical extra white vote and Clinton's high unfavorables due to being in politics and being a consummate insider for basically forever.

I don't think her gender is the reason she lost and I doubt it will be perceived that way.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Naw. Democrats would be smart to ONLY filibuster court nominees. that's the only thing they would really want to nuke it for anyway.

Republican politicians? I don't think they want protectionism, whatever the fuck his foreign policy is, and kicking out Muslims and illegals. The Republican establishment are the ones who are in charge of congress. Their views didn't suddenly change because Trump got elected.

Republican voters certainly do want what Trump is saying though
They DO want to kick out the illegals and they WILL bend over and let him strip the rights of Muslims so long as he sugarcoats it. "Targeted monitoring" based on "questionable associations." Besides, as leader of the executive, he has the authority to implement these actions without congress by enforcing laws on the books and using his presidential prerogative. Trade barriers probably won't happen but the Nazi stuff will.

Averon

I understand disengaging from politics for the next several years is so tempting. The pain from tonight is still raw, and the future looks very dark.

Bu disengaging will only exacerbate the problem and will make any sort of come back that much harder.

Piecake

I don't see it that way.

Trump will set the direction and the senate majority will supply the details.

And as a businessman, Trump will not be used to the idea of checks and balances inhibiting executive direction - so the filibuster could be one of the first things to go.

He doesn't have any control over that though. The Senate does. And unless the Senate is prepared to pass all of the laws that Trump advocated for, then they are better off keeping it.

Debirudog

So they're getting like mega-banned? I'm kind of confused, I've obviously missed a part of this conversation.

i think they asked for these bans. At least for Adam, he could return here whenever he wanted to but the depression is too much for some people here and I don't blame them.

Breads

Banned
PoliGAF is now the resistance. Trump is an illegitimate president. He is going to lose the popular vote. Turnout is the lowest it's been for 16 years. We need a recall or snap election. America made a mistake.

This was the will of the people.

The sooner we accept the sooner we

Phased

You are speaking to me as if I don't know how the electoral college works. Cease and desist. I am making the affirmative case for true democracy.

Would you still be making that argument if it was flipped around though and Clinton won the EVs and Trump won popular? If yes, great. If no, that's a problem.

Trump is a horrible person and a bad candidate but his win is legitimate under our system. Arguing semantics literally makes us no better than the MAGA people.

Ive seen people in here literally wishing he gets assassinated and begging for snipers. We're better than that and isn't what democracy is about.

Being bummed about losing is fine, but we'll get nowhere and learn nothing if we don't seriously look at why she lost beyond "oh it's just the racists" which certainly plays a part but is not the whole picture.

A few hours ago I'd say Republicans trying to repeal gay marriage or roe v. Wade would cannibalize their chances in 2018 and 2020

Now I'm facing the possibility that not only will they try, not only will they succeed, but that the majority of America will support them in doing so

I want this nightmare to be over

kadotsu

Banned
I'm interested how far Senate and House Republicans will go to implement the wishes of the Trump cabinet. They'll probably rubber stamp all things socially conservative and minority disenfranchising but will they go with him on trade and lobbying?*

*This of course presumes Trump will take an active role and won't be Bush on steroids with 20 Dick Cheneys doing the actual work. Either way Unions are gone.

Omiee

This is the ultimate revenge story. He mocks Obama and is the starter of the birther movement. Got mocked by Obama at the press state dinner and had to sit through it. Now he gets to replace Obama in the White House and delete his legacy.

Whatever, by all means the Democrats should have the advantage when talking in EC terms instead of raw popular vote. Yet we are here.

I'm not in the mood to find easy scapegoats for this result. The media failing, the protest or third party voters, sexism, racism, Hillary being a bad candidate, ... It all just seems to miss the point.

Kid Heart

It's five thirty, can't doze off so might as well get some work done. Trump is affecting my health and he isn't even in office yet

Me neither. I can't stop thinking about how this realistically all plays out now. Is there any chance Trump can try to get some of the saner Republics on board his cabinet? I figure even he has to know how ill-equipped he and is staff is to currently handle all this. Will anyone risk coming up to the plate to try and at least cut the country's losses?

PInk Tape

Banned
It's five thirty, can't doze off so might as well get some work done. Trump is affecting my health and he isn't even in office yet

I've got classes in a couple hours and I haven't slept at all. Too stressed out about this whole thing plus I have an annoying pounding headache that won't go away :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom