• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Donald is more Democrat than Republican.

If the GOP wasn't able to strongarm him in primaries, they are not going to be able to strongarm him as President.

For example, I HIGHLY doubt that a Donald administration pushes an anti LGBT agenda.

We'll see, though.

He told Pence he's handling the domestic and foreign shit. So we will see.

bplewis24

Neo Member
Donald is more Democrat than Republican.

If the GOP wasn't able to strongarm him in primaries, they are not going to be able to strongarm him as President.

For example, I HIGHLY doubt that a Donald administration pushes an anti LGBT agenda.

We'll see, though.

I've thought about that a lot the last week or so, and I still come back to this: If he doesn't come through on some of his promises, does he get the boot in 2020 from the same wave of voters that so thoroughly supported him?

Think about what was on the ballot today, and what Trump ultimately won on:

Muslim Ban
Building a wall
Deporting massive amounts of undocumented immigrants
Tearing up trade deals
Repealing the ACA
Tearing up the Paris deal (accord?) and the Iran deal
Appointing SCOTUS justices who are sympathetic to repealing Roe v Wade

What happens when he does none of those things? Look at the last one especially. At least midway through the evening, he was winning evangelicals at a stronger clip than Mitt Romney and McCain did. That exposes them as a single-issue voting bloc if ever there was one. If he doesn't appoint an anti-abortion SCOTUS justice, they will turn on him in 2020.

tuffy

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't sleep well at all. We've found ourselves with George W Bush 2.0 and I'm filled with dread for what the future holds.

But at the same time, this is a road I've been down in 2000 and the country is still here. "This too shall pass", so to speak. In my experience, politicians I've loved have never changed the country as much as I'd like, and politicians I've loathed have never changed the country as mush as I'd feared. So I believe many of Trump's promises will never come to pass and the damage he'll do can be mended in time.

In the meantime, I'm going to give my dog some scratchies until I feel better, and I'm going to keep up the good fight in the hope of better days to come.

dakini

Ugh I'm not even remotely ready for a campaign autopsy. I just need to grieve and think about how I'm going to get through this week.

Pixieking

Banned
Have to agree with NYmag's takeaway as to what needs to happen:

"And, impossible though it may be, we will have to resist partisanship. The only way back to a free society, to a country where no one need fear the president’s wrath or impulses, is to unwind the factionalism that has helped destroy this country. We have to forge a new coalition on right and left to resist fascism’s reach and cultic power. In a country which just elected and re-elected a black president — whose grace feels now almost painful to recall — it is surely possible."

Fascism in the form of Trump will eclipse any partisan difference the Dems and GOP could possibly espouse, because it threatens to overturn the entire board and make them all moot. Vote in midterms and prep for 2020, but don't lose sight of the greater aim: anti-fascism and saving American democracy before it's snuffed out.

The one thing that popped into my mind with all that, was... What if (now, here me out!)

What iiiiiiiif

Trump gives Hillary a cabinet position? It's stupid, sure, but it would also serve as the start of the healing process for the country, and bring both parties together.

Yeah, I know, stupid. But interesting as a thought-exercise.

Democracy is a flawed institution, Plato knew this. He cautioned against giving ignorant people the right to vote, correctly prognosticating the likes Trump.
Most Americans can't name the three branches of government or who their senators are...

And Judge Judy is on the Supreme Court.

If Clinton wins the popular vote, as is expected, then the campaign is to blame.

They should've adjusted their campaign strategy accordingly to make sure that a win in popular vote translated to a win in the electoral college.

After Detroit didnt deliver against Bernie, I was shocked hearing the campain say the same thing last night. How the fuck didn't they try to correct that. Wisconsin and Pennsylvania I'll let them slide but they had evidence their Michigan stratagy was shit in the primary. Wasting time in Arizona while they got jacked in their backyard.

bplewis24

Neo Member
Have to agree with NYmag's takeaway as to what needs to happen:

"And, impossible though it may be, we will have to resist partisanship. The only way back to a free society, to a country where no one need fear the president’s wrath or impulses, is to unwind the factionalism that has helped destroy this country. We have to forge a new coalition on right and left to resist fascism’s reach and cultic power. In a country which just elected and re-elected a black president — whose grace feels now almost painful to recall — it is surely possible."

Fascism in the form of Trump will eclipse any partisan difference the Dems and GOP could possibly espouse, because it threatens to overturn the entire board and make them all moot. Vote in midterms and prep for 2020, but don't lose sight of the greater aim: anti-fascism and saving American democracy before it's snuffed out.

I'm not sure I agree with this. You know what the big takeaway for me is from all of this? The GOP just learned--after years of thinking and being told otherwise--that they can win without the black and brown vote. You think they didn't care about minorities before? Wait til the Breitbart caucus has a stronghold in congress. You think they're going to compromise with black and brown folks on issues to form a coalition against fascism, or are they more likely to fall in line?

Member the Tea Party movement? Did they (GOP) repudiate that on principle, or did they only begin to repudiate it when they thought it cost them re-election campaigns?

What happens when he does none of those things? Look at the last one especially. At least midway through the evening, he was winning evangelicals at a stronger clip than Mitt Romney and McCain did. That exposes them as a single-issue voting bloc if ever there was one. If he doesn't appoint an anti-abortion SCOTUS justice, they will turn on him in 2020.

Will he even want a second term?

Feel like he'll do his 4 years and ride out of the White House.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Democracy is a flawed institution, Plato knew this. He cautioned against giving ignorant people the right to vote, correctly prognosticating the likes Trump.
Most Americans can't name the three branches of government or who their senators are...

It looks like Clinton will win the popular vote. So actually, I think the flawed institution was the (rather undemocratic) electoral college.

Boke1879

I'm not sure I agree with this. You know what the big takeaway for me is from all of this? The GOP just learned--after years of thinking and being told otherwise--that they can win without the black and brown vote. You think they didn't care about minorities before? Wait til the Breitbart caucus has a stronghold in congress. You think they're going to compromise with black and brown folks on issues to form a coalition against fascism, or are they more likely to fall in line?

Member the Tea Party movement? Did they (GOP) repudiate that on principle, or did they only begin to repudiate it when they thought it cost them re-election campaigns?

Yup they don't need the Latino vote. What comes after this? What comes after Trump

Did Clinton win the popular vote? Any chance for a recount somewhere (anywhere) then, or was the overall votes still too decisive per state to be worth a try.

Everything I thought I knew about this country was wrong. I thought we were making real progress, that even if the Republicans could gerrymander their way into controlling the House, that on the national level, at least, we were a real majority.

We're not.

And I'm not sure how to process that. I'm Jewish, I know how this shit goes. First you come for the Muslims and HIspanics, then... you know the rest.

I wanted... I wanted to make great things here. I wanted to go to Tesla, or Space X, or NASA after I graduated.

I can't now. It's that simple. I need to get out of here ASAP.

After last night, my entire future has to be rewritten.

And Russia has blackmail on the the POTUS-elect.

Did Clinton win the popular vote? Any chance for a recount somewhere (anywhere) then, or was the overall votes still too decisive per state to be worth a try.

She will most likely win, but she's millions of votes down on Obama. People didn't vote.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

She will almost certainly win the popular vote. A recount is pointless, even if every state currently separated by less than 1% of the vote were to swing to Clinton, she'd still lose.

Democracy lost, the electoral college won.

thefro

Clinton's now ahead in the popular vote by about 30k and most of what's left is all West Coast states. So she'll win that by a point or two once the rest of California comes in.

Truly one of the worst days of my life. I can't believe anything right now. Everything seems so surreal.

People stayed home and let this happen.

If anything, this election shows that campaign ads, money and GOTV are over rated if you can strike a populist nerve backed by free media.

If I have one criticism of Clinton campaign is that their media strategy sucked bigly.

sazzy

So where else has white nationalism had victories?

-UK
-US
-???

I'm afraid that Australia might be next :\\

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just to stress this from the exit polls:

Trump did one point (+1%!) better than Romney among white voters, according to exit polling. Where his gains came from were: black voters (+7%), Hispanic voters (+8%) and Asian voters (+11%).

Pixieking

Banned
If anything, this election shows that campaign ads, money and GOTV are over rated if you can strike a populist nerve backed by free media.

If I have one criticism of Clinton campaign is that their media strategy sucked bigly.

I wonder what it would've been like if the media hadn't given Trump a free pass selling his "policies" during the Primary. What was it, $4bn worth of free advertising? Fucking shameful.

Just to stress this from the exit polls:

Trump did one point (+1%!) better than Romney among white voters, according to exit polling. Where his gains came from were: black voters (+7%), Hispanic voters (+8%) and Asian voters (+11%).

Self-hating minorities. Lovely.

thefro

Shit, this was really close

Few hundred votes in NH (0.1%) (Upshot thinks this will flip to Clinton)
16k in Michigan (0.3%)
27k in Wisconsin (1%)
60k in PA (1.1%)

That margin's going to narrow a tad.

Should never have been this close, but you could point to all sorts of things happening that could have changed the margin to a Clinton win. Talking about a total of ~100k votes.

Florida's also just ~130k votes.

Fox318

She had record unfavorables and she tried to compensate that with anti trump ads.

Hell one of her ads is Trump telling Isis to go fuck themselves and while that doesn't show predential decorum it relates to how the public feels.

mo60

Yup they don't need the Latino vote. What comes after this? What comes after Trump
They kinda do need it still. AZ and TX were closer than usual because trump's share of the Latino vote in both states was garbage. AZ,GA and TX to a lesser extent are all ticking time bombs for the GOP.They can not rely on trump's election strategy forever to win elections.

Hillary tried to shame the country into voting for her. But most of the country has no shame and gets fired up when told to have shame. Yet, it still could have worked if she excited her base, which she failed to do.

It's funny how overnight, all of a sudden it is the Dems who need to retool their message to survive. While I agree to some extent (I mean, the party is fucking dead right now), a lot of it is just that their candidate wasn't exciting. In the post-facts world, all that matters is charisma.

Dems definitely need to retool their message and figure out a strategy to win at the state and local levels, but that is nothing new. At the Presidential level, they just need a more charismatic candidate. I fucking love Hillary, and have always supported her, but this is the hard truth. People don't want the most qualified, they want someone they can relate to and trust.

The demographics are still going to keep moving away from Republicans so there is no need to modify the platform to start appealing to the deplorables. They just need to strategize better next time, put up a better candidate, and figure out a better way to combat the right wing media machine.

Pixieking

Banned
If any of yous wanna run to Ireland, we'd welcome you.

Our politicians are just the basic kind of incompetent.

Your government's stance on abortion is stupid and harms lives, but beggars can't be choosers. (I'm actually looking at getting grandparents details for an Irish passport due to Brexit).

Kid Heart

They kinda do need it still. AZ and TX were closer than usual because trump's share of the Latino vote in both states was garbage. AZ,GA and TX to a lesser extent are all ticking time bombs for the GOP.They can not rely on trump's election strategy forever to win elections.

That assumes most of them don't try to abandon ship now. :/

I think it's fairly certain this is a done deal. You don't go contesting the result in a whole bunch of states like that...

Sibylus

Banned

I've no illusions about what's more likely to happen.

What needs to happen, though? As broad an antifa coalition as possible. Good fucking luck turning back the fascist groundswell by bailing out the boat every few years in elections. Authoritarianism is clearly rooted deeper and more widespread in America than anyone might have reasonably guessed, and that requires no less than a widespread movement to repudiate it and provide an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom