• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't think I've heard one positive thing said about Hillary since the race was lost.

It really is bizarre. She energised people (it seems). Everything about her last couple of weeks of campaigning was how she was for hope, equality and togetherness. She pointed out how bad Trump was, how racist, how sexist, how stupid. And she lost young women to him. I mean, that's not something you can take responsibility for, surely? Like, that's a whole bunch of Darwin Awards that need to be handed to those voters, because they're either stupid, or been duped.

A few hours ago I'd say Republicans trying to repeal gay marriage or roe v. Wade would cannibalize their chances in 2018 and 2020

Now I'm facing the possibility that not only will they try, not only will they succeed, but that the majority of America will support them in doing so

I want this nightmare to be over

The thing people need to realize is that America is, at best, a center-right country. On the whole, we prefer as little government involvement in our lives as possible and aren't concerned about social policies unless they affect us individually.

Trump is going to win the popular vote in 2020 and I'd be willing to be that Republicans' hold over the House and Senate increase in 2018 and 2020.

The worst part is that the average person, if they disprove, thinks they can vote for the opposite party and it will be fixed within four years.

parrotful

Neo Member
I don't think I've heard one positive thing said about Hillary since the race was lost.

Here, I'll do it.

I know a lot of the other people of color on this board are pointing out the racism angle, but I'll point out the sexism one. Hillary Clinton ran an excellent campaign and was an awesome candidate, but in order to get anyone to vote for a woman, that woman has to be perfect, unassailable, so pure that no one could even get fake scandals on them. That's the sexism rooted deep in our country. Like other groups dealing with oppression, we work twice as hard for half as much.

Fuck that as much as the white nationalism.

So, a good many of our people last night were given a message: You are second class citizens, and fuck you if you want to fix it.

It might behoove us then, to at least demonstrate openly.

watershed

Banned
Think about how many terrible people, terrible politicians, and just awful human beings have been empowered by Trump's victory. Decency lost tonight.

I still think she would've been a good president. I think she would've gotten more done than Obama even with all the obstructionists. And again, I preface this as someone who voted for Bernie. I rallied behind Clinton because I knew she could get the job done, but that could just be my naivete.

Kid Heart

I personally doubt this, it was close. It's not like the Mondale/Ferraro sweep at all.

I truly hope so. I stated it earlier that while I think Elizabeth would be our best bet if what this party needs is a firebrand, I have no idea if the stigma of a female president will haunt the DNC for the foreseeable future and cause her to remain in the senate. I hope not, but heck if I know whats up now.

Pixieking

Banned
Here, I'll do it.

I know a lot of the other people of color on this board are pointing out the racism angle, but I'll point out the sexism one. Hillary Clinton ran an excellent campaign and was an awesome candidate, but in order to get anyone to vote for a woman, that woman has to be perfect, unassailable, so pure that no one could even get fake scandals on them. That's the sexism rooted deep in our country. Like other groups dealing with oppression, we work twice as hard for half as much.

Yeah. I think it's going to be hard to separate the racism angle from the sexism angle, in the sense that a lot of voters will have shown signs of both (Florida Panhandle, for instance, and Rust Belt). A lot of men could've held their noses and voted for Barack Obama because he was a guy, but as soon as it became a woman wanting the presidency, it got too much. Disaffected men who think a woman should be in the home. The emails alone would've been nothing if she were a guy, but as it is... "Stupid woman, doesn't know how tech works."

To have done all this, and worked so hard throughout your life, only to be hit by sexism (even if it wasn't the only factor)... To be treated like shit, because, hell, Trump is a dumb-ass, and he got the presidency? I cannot imagine how she must feel. I legit just want to email her or something and apologise for men being idiots. :'(

(Disclosure, I'm a white guy.)

GusBus

You can believe in democracy without believing in the legitimacy of an elected fascist.

Democracy is a flawed institution, Plato knew this. He cautioned against giving ignorant people the right to vote, correctly prognosticating the likes Trump.
Most Americans can't name the three branches of government or who their senators are...

I really feel bad for women in red states. And I'm saying this as a black man, shits fucked up for me but atleast I have control over my body.

mo60

Despite losing this election hilary is on track to do as well as obama did in CA in 2008 and 2012 in terms of share of the popular vote and on track to have a PV margin 5% higher than obama probably.

Here, I'll do it.

You're so right.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is the ultimate revenge story. He mocks Obama and is the starter of the birther movement. Got mocked by Obama at the press state dinner and had to sit through it. Now he gets to replace Obama in the White House and delete his legacy.

Ugh. I keep thinking about how shitty it is that he overcame Hillary, but I keep forgetting that this is also a symbolic victory against Obama as well. To be replaced by the king of birthers. It's disgusting. All of it.

Merrymint

I'm so depressed. I was trying to console a friend who might lose her healthcare after she just got good medicine to help with her constant migraines. I feel so depressed about this, while trying to be positive. As a minority living in the south myself this sadly validates my lack of faith in the American electorate. I'm not sure it can be restored. I did what I could living in Tennessee. Man it hurts to see this and it wasn't even hard for him to win. My soul aches. I'm so disappointed we couldn't be better than what I thought. Hopefully the DNC finds where the polling went wrong, and we fix this in soon. The media fucked up with the emails fiasco too. I'm nervous since the congress has everything they want(every branch on their side.)

bplewis24

Neo Member
Despite losing this election hilary is on track to do as well as obama did in CA in 2008 and 2012 in terms of share of the popular vote and on track to have a PV margin 5% higher than obama probably.

Where are you getting this from? So far Google is showing this:

96% reporting
Votes

Donald Trump
Republican Party
48%

Hillary Clinton
Democratic Party
48%

Sibylus

Banned
Democracy is a flawed institution, Plato knew this. He cautioned against giving ignorant people the right to vote, correctly prognosticating the likes Trump.
Most Americans can't name the three branches of government or who their senators are...

I have strong hopes for American democracy, in this republic or the next.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you getting this from? So far Google is showing this:

He means in California specifically. The forecasters do say that Clinton will win the popular vote by 1.1%, though - so the polling error was about 2.4% on national polls, which is... pretty normal, to be honest. That's better than 2012's national error.

The real failing was state polls.

Boke1879

At this point you hope Trump is some super secret liberal.

I really hope the younger generation isn't put off by this. They are the future and we need more of them running for elected positions.

Absolutely amazed, what an epic fail of data from pollsters and forecasters.
Nevertheless, still baffled by the margin in some states. He fucking won PA?
Looks like turnout is down, lowest since 2000.

Sill need to process this.

sazzy

There was nothing we could have done to stop this. That's the worst part.

If Clinton wins the popular vote, as is expected, then the campaign is to blame.

They should've adjusted their campaign strategy accordingly to make sure that a win in popular vote translated to a win in the electoral college.

Averon

The first step in fighting back is the DNC.

It will be interesting to see how that battle will play out. I can't imagine the Clinton loyalists will survive the inevitable purge.

I absolutely do think the story coming out of this won't be how Trump energized his base, but rather Hillary's failure to do so. Trump will probably end up around or a little below Romney's number of vote, while Hillary will be 6 million below Obama in 2012. Even if she got "just" 1 million more votes, she would have won.

Democrats are gonna have to do their best to examine and understand where those 6 million people went.

sazzy

Absolutely amazed, what an epic fail of data from pollsters and forecasters.
Nevertheless, still baffled by the margin in some states. He fucking won PA?
Looks like turnout is down, lowest since 2000.

Sill need to process this.

Voting for Donald Trump was clearly == picking your nose and sticking the boogers under your seat.

Everyone does it, no one wanted to admit it.

Farmboy

Disgusted. Jesus christ white people.

I see adam387 has deleted his account. Anyone know him/talk to him outside this forum? Hope he's okay.

Pixieking

Banned
Sent a message to Hillary using the Contact Us form on her campaign website. Yeah yeah, probably pointless... But *shrugs* The amount of criticism she's had, the least that can be done is to write a message saying "People suck, but you don't". :'(

sazzy

Someone please tell me it's going to be okay. Please.

Donald is more Democrat than Republican.

If the GOP wasn't able to strongarm him in primaries, they are not going to be able to strongarm him as President.

For example, I HIGHLY doubt that a Donald administration pushes an anti LGBT agenda.

We'll see, though.

Voting for Donald Trump was clearly == picking your nose and sticking the boogers under your seat.

Everyone does it, no one wanted to admit it.

Still, with all the controversies, there was an enthusiasm problem. Trump's at 57 million, Romney lost with 60 million! Obama won with 65 million! That's a TON of people who stayed home.

What happens to betting websites that already paid out for wins on Clinton? Do they get their money back?

They take the loss

bplewis24

Neo Member
I'm not talking about nationally. I'm talking about Califorina. Her victory margin will be closer to 28% there when all votes are counted.

He means in California specifically. The forecasters do say that Clinton will win the popular vote by 1.1%, though - so the polling error was about 2.4% on national polls, which is... pretty normal, to be honest. That's better than 2012's national error.

The real failing was state polls.

Ahh, got it. If you guys are like me, and live in CA, we are lucky. There was a very progressive wave of voting here. 14 of the 17 referendums that I voted for look like they will pass (2 of those 3 relate to the death penalty repeal). But now that the GOP (whatever that means now) is in control of the House, Senate, White House and eventually the SCOTUS, I fear what would happen if there are challenges on any of these initiatives.

Maledict

Donald is more Democrat than Republican.

If the GOP wasn't able to strongarm him in primaries, they are not going to be able to strongarm him as President.

For example, I HIGHLY doubt that a Donald administration pushes an anti LGBT agenda.

We'll see, though.

Look at his VP, and look at the party platform he just got elected on. It's the most openly anti-LGBT platform they have had.

Sibylus

Banned
Have to agree with NYmag's takeaway as to what needs to happen:

"And, impossible though it may be, we will have to resist partisanship. The only way back to a free society, to a country where no one need fear the president’s wrath or impulses, is to unwind the factionalism that has helped destroy this country. We have to forge a new coalition on right and left to resist fascism’s reach and cultic power. In a country which just elected and re-elected a black president — whose grace feels now almost painful to recall — it is surely possible."

Fascism in the form of Trump will eclipse any partisan difference the Dems and GOP could possibly espouse, because it threatens to overturn the entire board and make them all moot. Vote in midterms and prep for 2020, but don't lose sight of the greater aim: anti-fascism and saving American democracy before it's snuffed out.

We'll survive
My single biggest fear right now is not that he's going to make a domestic or foreign relations disaster, since that's still something we can recover from.

I'm afraid he's going to look at the climate change cliff and jump full speed off of it, dooming the species as a whole.

watershed

Banned
So Hillary just didn't turn out enough voters? Sad thing because she was going to have that problem no matter who her opponent was.

effzee

Couldn't sleep all night.

I got a 2yr old and a 2nd on n the way. Belong to a minority group.

I'm scared shitless. Republicans get to now control him and or he is going to be a mad man who I honestly worry will start WW3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom