• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I mean, we're basically looking at a total lockout of Democrats from national politics for at least 10 years. The Senate is clearly gone, barring a massive backlash election, the House is gerrymandered to hell (and is going to stay that way until at least 2030 now), and apparently all you need for the Presidency is someone willing to be hateful enough to turn out the Trump Base.

Wouldn't redistricting come after the 2020 census? Meaning, if Dems win enough state races in 2020, they can peel back the House gerrymandering?

Well. That happened.

America just made the biggest mistake in it's history. I hope the people who voted against it aren't hurt too much.

But I hope the people who voted Johnson + Trump get first hand seats at the mess, economically + globally they are about to bring, and I hope they suffer all for it.

It's 2020, and there's still not a single sign of a wall, nor any deportation. Do Trump voters come out again?

Sure, why not? They didn't give a fuck about reality this go 'round, Trump will just find another scapegoat and that's that.

Pence won't take the decisions, Trump will, Pence will just work a lot of hours. But there is no way in hell that Pence will direct the country while Trump is president. Trump is probably actively trying to figure out how to get rid of him.

Christie, Rudy? They'll have a lot of weight on Trump, same with Icahn and to a lesser extent Thiel and other dangerous outsiders.

It's the Bush years all over again but with some crazier people and no Cheney.

I don't doubt that Bannon will have a lot of sway. That's why I'm looking to GTFO, we put a man in the oval office who has an ACTUAL NAZI whispering in his ear.

Wouldn't redistricting come after the 2020 census? Meaning, if Dems win enough state races in 2020, they can peel back the House gerrymandering?

We would also need the Supreme Court to defend any changes we made against lawsuits, and that's not going to fucking happen. Garland isn't getting the nod, they're going to stick Scalia 2.0 on the bench, except he'll be in his 40s and half as smart.

Seriously, people think if someone was running around talking about nothing but Dodd-Frank and Glass-Steagall, Citizen's United and Wall Street rural white people would suddenly be all aboard...

Maybe "disastrous trade policies" I guess.
Just because I can't recall it all, here's a few questions.

What exactly did Trump promise to do?

How likely is it he can accomplish this?

How will those who voted him in react if it turns out he can't fulfill these promises?
Off the top of my head.

Mexican border wall paid for by Mexico.
A Muslim ban "until we know what's going on."
Supreme Court Justices that will overturn Roe v Wade, gay marriage etc.
Renegotiate and cancel trade deals.
Lock her up.
Oh repeal Obamacare.

The GOP owes control of the Senate to Trump. He owes them nothing.
He can make Reince Priebus go up to the mic and perform for him like a jester on live TV.

Colbert 2020 everybody! I can't believe I'm not even joking either....
...I'm actually on board with this.

I don't know what stage of grief this is; but I'm morbidly curious to see what of his platform was bullshit and what he intends to propose.
This right here is why I've dialed back my panic a few notches. Trump's a total gish-galloping wildcard who spent just as much time as a Democrat as he has as a Republican. It's going to be a shitshow on a ton of levels regardless of what happens but it's also gonna be much more uncertain than my apocalyptic Fourth Reich chicken littling from last night.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Given exit polling, I'm beginning to think that the main thing driving Trump's win was an anti-establishment sentiment. It explains why Bernie shared a big portion of his base and why dem turnout was low - even dems are sick of their establishment class and that's all that Hillary represented to them. Trump picked up too much minority support for his racism to have been a deciding factor in many people's minds. It may not have been as successful of a hitting point for many voters compared to people whose number one concern is systemic or direct racism.

It's so obvious it played a huge role, Obama was an outsider eight years ago, it's why he beat Clinton to the nom and then won. It's why Bernie had so much support and Trump as well. It wad clear for eight years and even more that people hated old Washington more than anything.

People have wanted "change" all along. Can't see how anyone can be surprised at this, you can always see this kind of win come from miles away. I think only Americans don't see this often but if you live outside the US or follow foreign politics you saw this play out again and again.

Cepheus

If they don't have someone charismatic and relatively unsullied in 2 years I could definitely see an attempt to recruit Michelle take place.

I agree with this. If all else fails, Michelle could break her assurance that she would never run for President to deliver us from evil, like Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill

bplewis24

Neo Member
Oh, and I forgot about this: the GOP can now go soooo much further with voter suppression efforts. Especially if the SCOTUS won't be a check on that.

Holy shit facebook is a disaster.

Romney posting about celebrities leaving the country and Ted Cruz talking about the conservative agenda that needs to be instituted day 1.

This really is the darkest timeline.

My poor 4 year old daughter.

Averon

Given exit polling, I'm beginning to think that the main thing driving Trump's win was an anti-establishment sentiment. It explains why Bernie shared a big portion of his base and why dem turnout was low - even dems are sick of their establishment class and that's all that Hillary represented to them. Trump picked up too much minority support for his racism to have been a deciding factor in many people's minds. It may not have been as successful of a hitting point for many voters compared to people whose number one concern is systemic or direct racism.

The signs were there back in the primaries. Bernie doing so well against Clinton was a massive red flag that was ignored by too many people.

Diablos

Romney posting about celebrities leaving the country and Ted Cruz talking about the conservative agenda that needs to be instituted day 1.

Romney is ok with a Trunp win?

It's so obvious it played a huge role, Obama was an outsider eight years ago, it's why he beat Clinton to the nom and then won. It's why Bernie had so much support and Trump as well. It wad clear for eight years and even more that people hated old Washington more than anything.

People have wanted "change" all along. Can't see how anyone can be surprised at this, you can always see this kind of win come from miles away. I think only Americans don't see this often but if you live outside the US or follow foreign politics you saw this play out again and again.

People didn't want change, people wanted someone who would stop the change that is already happening.

Hillary outperformed Obama in FL where she needed to. Trump outperformed Romney even more. Unreliable white voters who stayed home in 2012 showed up.

The signs were there back in the primaries. Bernie doing so well against Clinton was a massive red flag that was ignored by too many people.

no, the red flags were Trump doing as well as he did in the primaries...

Bernie's loss was routine. This Bernie stuff doesn't make sense to me at all.

Then again, this election came from seemingly nowhere so I'm not the best judge, obviously. None of us are, I suppose.

Cw0OV_MXEAAm9QW.jpg:large

Depressing, Not enough middle class Dems showed up in many places, that's for sure.

Life is so unfair to those who make 50k+...bunch of fucking idiots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly, the best choice for the Dems would have been Ted Cruz.

Donald was going to grab the new rural voters.

No Dem was charismatic enough to do this. And no, not Bernie.

But Ted Cruz was scummy to everyone. Kasich would have won, too.

Spekaing of Cruz, he is probably devastated. He truly believed he was the next Reagan. That's out the window now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pence won't take the decisions, Trump will, Pence will just work a lot of hours. But there is no way in hell that Pence will direct the country while Trump is president. Trump is probably actively trying to figure out how to get rid of him.

Christie, Rudy? They'll have a lot of weight on Trump, same with Icahn and to a lesser extent Thiel and other dangerous outsiders.

It's the Bush years all over again but with some crazier people and no Cheney.

When Pence was asked about VP, Trump's son specifically told him he'd be "in charge of foreign and domestic policy." He absolutely is going to be making decisions.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I give up on humanity. I don't think I'm ever going to recover. I'm a shell of my former self.

Pray the broader media suffers from this, but it could be in the form of censorship and intimidation instead of actual lessons learned. Only a few outlets and dedicated writers came down on Trump hard and pushed it. All the worse, the president already has his own literal propaganda network. It'll be totally neutral and trustworthy, I'm sure.
But I hope the people who voted Johnson + Trump get first hand seats at the mess, economically + globally they are about to bring, and I hope they suffer all for it.
Any actually suffering they may or may not go through is going to be nothing like what a lot of minorities are going to have to deal with, sadly. And other countries, religious groups, the environment and countless other things. Not sure if wishing for suffering is particularly constructive, but I relate to the sentiment. Now, the 24/7 and clickbait media I do actively hope they suffer, as I said above. Die in a fire, please. All of you.

Diablos

Now that all these rural voters are turning out Democrats really have an uphill battle ahead of them if they continue to vote during Presidential years.

bernie lost Prop 61 in liberal bastion California. He campaigned and advertised for this HARD.

But yeah, he totally would have been the difference against Trump.

Plinko

Well, Trump is president and I will support him as president. I may not agree with everything he does, but he is the leader and I do hope he does a good job for our country.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When Pence was asked about VP, Trump's son specifically told him he'd be "in charge of foreign and domestic policy." He absolutely is going to be making decisions.

He won't! Trump doesn't want to be running around, Pence will be his secretary. People who think Trump isn't seeing Pence as his worst enemy don't get it, and the guy will fall in line.

No one can tell Trump what is the right thing to do or think after this win. Pence was forced on him and he was never someone Trump would listen to. Trump will be listening to HIS gang which in no way involves Pence.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why should we pray our already weak institutions are weakened further?

Look, I wanted Hillary to be our president so badly. I wanted her to be the first woman president. But we lost. We're set back probably 10 years or so. It really sucks. There are people that will be so negatively impacted by this that I am certain their survival is at stake. I don't feel good about it, and you shouldn't either. I don't think wishing a pox on anyone is going to help.

Except for Trump. Pox on trump please.

Kusagari

bernie lost Prop 61 in liberal bastion California. He campaigned and advertised for this HARD.

Any Bernie win would be propagated on him holding the blue wall. He probably wins MI, WI and PA. I doubt the rural votes deliver in the same way against him.

I give up on humanity. I don't think I'm ever going to recover. I'm a shell of former self.
Me too

I was so optimistic our country was heading to something great and special. That only time needed to move and things would get better

Now I'm convinced Obama was a fluke and this country is a disgusting pit of hate

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Black Mamba, without wanting to be mean you've been wrong about effectively everything this cycle, from how well Sanders would do (I can find stuff in your post history saying he'd only win Vermont in the primary), to why 538 totally sucked (best performing of the major models), to how Clinton was going to romp it home. Maybe it might be time to start reconsidering some of your beliefs?

I don't think Bernie would have done much better. He was still a career politician. Trump still plays the greater outsider.

Also media is all like "democrat Donald? Democrat donald?" Wishful thinking.

Maybe he'll turn out to be a Jacksonian shaker-upper instead of an insane despot... uh without the genocide of course.

Why should we pray our already weak institutions are weakened further?

Look, I wanted Hillary to be our president so badly. I wanted her to be the first woman president. But we lost. We're set back probably 10 years or so. It really sucks. There are people that will be so negatively impacted by this that I am certain their survival is at stake. I don't feel good about it, and you shouldn't either. I don't think wishing a pox on anyone is going to help.

Except for Trump. Pox on trump please.
10 years? With one or two Supreme Court nom ? That's very hopeful.

Any Bernie win would be propagated on him holding the blue wall. He probably wins MI, WI and PA. I doubt the rural votes deliver in the same way against him.

He wouldn't. Minority vote would have gone down in places like Philly and Detroit.

In the end, you need to be charismatic to win soft Democrats to the polls.

I'm honestly fucking scared for my health care. If I lose my job I'm fucked, I have diabetes who will ever insure me? Once employers understand this they will make us bend to their will out of sheer fear of never being insured again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom