• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
I felt like I did my fair share in supporting the right candidates but apparently not

Volunteering wasn't enough
Voting wasn't enough
Pressuring everyone I know to vote wasn't enough

It just wasn't enough. I didn't work hard enough.

I felt like I did my fair share in supporting the right candidates but apparently not

Voting wasn't enough

It's not your fault that the silent redneck majority crawled out of the woods and fucked everything up. You did what you could.

Thinking about it, Clinton really did not have an easily digestible message that was about her. The only two that really stood out:

1. Love Trumps Hate - About Trump, not her
2. Don't boo, vote - (not even hers) Essentially, "settle for Clinton"

I am feeling legit, full on depressed this morning. Can't concentrate, slow movement, no appetite, no joy, paralyzing depression.

I know how you feel

But as long as we're alive, we can do something, anything, even something small to work to fight back against the direction the country is going.

Definitely take your time to recover - I certainly did - but if you can, feel better when you can so you can take a boot to asses

Another possibility for the next four years is to hope that Democrats can turn a few Republicans to their side. At this point, can people like McCain seriously think he should do whatever Trump says to save their careers? I cannot believe that all of them don't see the damage that Trump can do unchecked. This will a test of how much Republicans simply fall in line with their party that Trump has just remade in this image.

Yeah I know it's tempting to be all fatalist right now, but I hope some decency is left.

There isn't. The modern Bully Pulpit is largely a myth, but Trump clearly commands the Republican base to an unprecedented extent. Republicans are too cowardly to oppose that.

Voting wasn't enough

What state were you in? How hard did she hit the rust belt states?

You can get every person in Arizona to vote for her and it mskes no difference it appears she ignored an entire subset of people and it cost her big time.

It's not just revisits voting for trump she performed worse then Obama 2012 in some states.

Clefargle

Welp, that just happened. We liberals/progressives/left can't blame anyone but ourselves here. Exactly where we stepped in it is debatable, and im sure we will do that. But either way, shit has to change in our party. To mount a successful 2020 run, we have to get enthusiasm back, get out of our echo chambers, and address the real hatred of status quo/establishment/politics out there. Maybe bernie could have pulled it off, maybe not. We will never know, but what I do know is that blaming this on anyone else just sets it up for another failure in 2020

So does Trump follow through on his promise to jail Hillary

Considering his victory speech said that the country owed her a great debt for her service, I think he's just going to drop it. Why would he care about Clinton anymore? She lost, he won, the fight is over.

Yeah. Looking at 2008's exit polls for comparison, what changed isn't how many white voters without college degrees voted, it is who they voted for. In 2008, 40% of them voted Obama. In 2016, 28% of them voted Clinton. So the Democrats lost 12% from a demographic that is ~40% of the electorate.

I'm specifically referring to the rust belt.

It's obvious that Obama won a lot of WWC in NE and out west.

Obama definitely did better in the rust belt, but not as much better as the rest of the non-south.

Ohwiseone

You know actually I wish Rubio won today if a GOP president were to win. I'm that despondent.

I would of taken Jeb Bush or Rubio.. Even kasich.

The worst part is, most of the policy making and domestic/foriegn affair is going to be regulated to Mike Pence... Which scares the absolute shit out of me.

Wilsongt

I guess my thoughts about this election can be summed up by Rupaul gifs:

giphy.gif

The margins in WI weren't insurmountable. It was enough in the traditionally quiet areas that pushed him over the edge, just like FL and MI and PA.

There was a dormant White rural block that was highly motivated to vote for their candidate this cycle rather than just opt out of voting for less interesting candidates like Romney and/or McCain.

This is true, but it's only true if you take into account 5 million 2012 Obama voters NOT showing up for Hillary.

That, PoliGAF, is not Comey. That's Hillary. She was the perfect candidate for a guy like Trump, and all our months of arrogance and surety in the numbers looks mighty silly when she just fucking failed to do what presidential candidates need to do.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I am feeling legit, full on depressed this morning. Can't concentrate, slow movement, no appetite, no joy, paralyzing depression.
I haven't slept all night or eaten since like 6 yesterday. All hope has faded. Not sure how I'm going to manage for 4 years. I'll be a husk by the time I'm 30. Or hell if I even make it to 30 yeah been absolutely broken all might.

Well, now that we're stuck with him, is this a bad thing? I've never really looked into it.

The only thing this does is encourage insurance companies to find the state with the least regulations and consumer protections, and have a PO BOX there. You've essentially enabled WY, or KS insurance regulators to be the defacto insurance regulator for 300mil+ people. The ACAs requirements and mandates for certain levels of care and how much could be sucked out of premiums by their C-level was/is the only thing stopping this, besides state-level laws, up until now.

Ohwiseone

Probably the worst part of all of this is.
I don't know of a major way to fix it. other than, getting active and having to wait years.

I guess its that whole "powerless to stop" thing.

royalan

But being smart, hard working, etc, has never guaranteed anyone the presidency. It really felt at times that Democrats felt as though Hillary was somehow owed the presidency, from the way that the entire party lined up behind her long before the primary even started, to the DNC leaks that showed that they were putting their thumbs on the scales a bit.

And despite all that, she consistently underperformed. She should have destroyed Bernie, he was a completely non-viable candidate who only ever really talked about one issue. The entire campaign felt like Democrats were trying to force children to eat their vegetables.

Enough.

She did destroy Bernie. She trounced him by over 4 million votes.

For that matter, Trump's primary performance trounced him too.

So show me on paper how Bernie would have been better.

Poor white working class? No. Bernie is all entitlements, he's compete welfare state, and according to some in here white folk don't like they because they're too principled or some shit. You're tangling yourself here.

Bernie and Trump would have been fighting over the same coalition of voters, only Trump still comes with the name recognition and overt racism that would have put him over the edge. Oh, then there's the fact that Bernie is a gross disgusting pervert who writes rape fantasies (this is how you KNOW the GOP would sell it), and bam. Now you have the problems with women reproduced.

If there is a lesson the Dems should take, it's not running a dope like Bernie in hopes of winning some white rural. It's the complete opposite:

Do not waste a single fucking second playing for the Republican base. Republicans ALWAYS come home. Always.

Democrats thought a Trump candidacy would expand the map for them. They thought wrong.

Riling up your base. Keeping them engaged. Tossing them red meat. Needs to be priority number 1 for whoever runs next.

Because that's what Republicans do. And that's why their base always comes home.

Boke1879

See I'm of two minds. part of me thinks Trump won't do shit. He's threatened to sue his accusers and the NYT yet he hasn't done a damn thing.

But the man is a petty person you just obtained the highest office in the land. He literally just wants the title not the actual work.

I don't know what the hell CNN is smiling for. He's still going to call out the media when unfavorable stories come out. Shit his trial for fraud is this month right? They will no doubt cover that now. And his trial for rape is next month. Trump is going to be the gift that keeps on giving to the media.

Crocodile

Wait I'm reading there was reduced turnout overall? What? I couldn't have been more pumped to vote in this election for many reasons. What is wrong with people. Or is the bulk of this due to voter suppression efforts?

Thinking about it, Clinton really did not have an easily digestible message that was about her. The only two that really stood out:

1. Love Trumps Hate - About Trump, not her
2. Don't boo, vote - (not even hers) Essentially, "settle for Clinton"

I know how you feel

But as long as we're alive, we can do something, anything, even something small to work to fight back against the direction the country is going.

Definitely take your time to recover - I certainly did - but if you can, feel better when you can so you can take a boot to asses

"Stronger Together" seemed good to me but I guess not many others felt like that

But there are a number of establishment republicans who spoke out against Trump.

I have a feeling many of them will come crawling to Trump in the end :/

*We need to better appeal to the WWC*
*Ok, how?*
*Stop being elitist!*

Plinko, you need to lay down some actual ideas man. You can't just say "do this!" if you won't offer any suggestions onto how to do it

This summation really isn't representative of what the liberal response has been to the plight of blue collar workers, white or otherwise. Whenever the topic is even broached, most of the responses devolve into some form of "Tough titties, you racist, sexist, privileged fucks. Leave your backwoods hovels for the city or get fucked."

In isolation, many liberal, progressive ideologies have gained significant popularity. Democrats have consistently failed at packaging those ideologies into a message that resonates with disillusioned working class people (Especially in the Rust Belt) and we paid the price for it last night. Trump didn't just win with the uneducated white vote: he improved on Romney's 2012 numbers. That should be a wake-up call for all of us.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Enough.

Poor white working class? No. Bernie is all entitlements, he's compete welfare state, and according to some in here white folk don't like they because they're too principled or some shit. You're tangling yourself here.

Bernie and Trump would have been fighting over the same coalition of voters, only Trump still comes with the name recognition and overt racism that would have put him over the edge. Oh, then there's the fact that Bernie is a gross disgusting pervert who writes rape fantasies (this is how you KNOW the GOP would sell it), and bam. Now you have the problems with women reproduced.

If there is a lesson the Dems should take, it's not running a dope like Bernie in hopes of winning some white rural. It's the complete opposite:

Do not waste a single fucking second playing for the Republican base. Republicans ALWAYS come home. Always.

Democrats thought a Trump candidacy would expand the map for them. They thought wrong.

Riling up your base. Keeping them engaging. Tossing them red meat. Needs to be priority number 1 for whoever runs next.

Because that's what Republicans do. And that's why their base always comes home.

Yes

Enough.

Riling up your base. Keeping them engaging. Tossing them red meat. Needs to be priority number 1 for whoever runs next.

ding

ding

ding

Kusagari

Here's the truth: The Democrats tried to make this a culture war election and they lost the war.

Political correctness, his racist base, Trump's infidelities, his tax returns. This is what was hammered over and over by the Democrats and it backfired on them.

Maxim726X

Well I made all my social media private, legitimately scared of being harassed by his supporters. And for that matter I almost don't want to leave the house anymore since they're free and legitimized. This result has fundamentally broken me. I don't even care about teaching myself coding or lifting anymore. It feels like life is over.

This too shall pass.

You focus on enriching yourself for when things improve, and they will.

I'd personally like the DNC to strong arm Al Franken to run

- Well liked, well known senator
- Charismatic, funny, able to go toe to toe with the best of them
- A proven record of experience in politics, liberal, able to adjust himself to support a more populist message if possible
- But not as experienced as to appear to be part of the institution
- No major scandals at all besides running his mouth, which obviously nobody really cares about

I look more and more at Democrats who could run, and Franken keeps coming up to me as checking all the boxes needed to win.

Anyone else think dems need to drop gun control?

Very likely we'll have to. This isn't a fight we're currently winning, unlike abortion and gay rights, which are still moving in our direction in popular opinion (and I don't see that changing)

I'm "soft" on gun rights. It's an issue for me, but it's not really a make or break issue for me.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'd personally like the DNC to strong arm Al Franken to run

- Well liked, well known senator
- Charismatic, funny, able to go toe to toe with the best of them
- A proven record of experience in politics, liberal, able to adjust himself to support a more populist message if possible
- But not as experienced as to appear to be part of the institution
- No major scandals at all besides running his mouth, which obviously nobody really cares about

I look more and more at Democrats who could run, and Franken keeps coming up to me as checking all the boxes needed to win.
Shit, I'd go for that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
royalan, if you genuinely believe that, you can kiss sweet goodbye to 2020. I mean, I don't even know what to say if you think the answer to Clinton is to run... effectively more Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom