• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I guess maybe it's a bright side that if this Republican president doesn't save America like he claims, they can be blamed a little for it

Which is more likely?

A. Establishment Republicans fall in lockstep behind Trump, even with non-conservative views.

B. Trump follows the establishment lead, given his lack of policy knowledge and unwillingness to learn. He sets the agenda for immigration and trade but rubber stamps everything else.

C. Republicans turn and impeach him when the inevitable scandal breaks (Trump U., sexual assault, etc.) to usher in President Pence.

bachikarn

This is true, but it's only true if you take into account 5 million 2012 Obama voters NOT showing up for Hillary.

That, PoliGAF, is not Comey. That's Hillary. She was the perfect candidate for a guy like Trump, and all our months of arrogance and surety in the numbers looks mighty silly when she just fucking failed to do what presidential candidates need to do.

Yeah, I'm not sure the data is completely supporting the silent majority theory. Democrats weren't as enthusiastic to vote. Doesn't this also help explain the systemic error in the poll? People saying they'd vote Clinton, but then never did.

Kangi

This is a mourning period. I wish you all the best during this time.

Trump will cause damage, no doubt about it. But one needs to believe that basic human decency will prevail. We will get past this. Take a break from politics for now if you must, but come back fighting. Come back making a difference.

Others may be taking this harder. Please be there for anybody you know who may be disproportionately affected. I know I'm going to use my time away from politics to redouble being the best boyfriend I can be for someone I care about very much, who is taking this hard.

Love will trump hate, but only if you keep loving.

With that, I return to retirement from this community. Anyone who may want to talk to me is welcome to send a PM. And for those unable to, I'm with you in spirit. See you guys.

Blader

I am feeling legit, full on depressed this morning. Can't concentrate, slow movement, no appetite, no joy, paralyzing depression.

I feel the same way.

I'm a straight, white, relatively well-off male from a Christian family. I am despondent today and terrified of what will happen in the next four years. I have never felt this terrified about the future of the country and the world. I cannot even begin to imagine what women, people of color, LGBT people, Muslims and so many more are possibly feeling; a sense of existential dread that has always followed was just dialed up a hundred-fold.

I've felt more and more this year that I took the Obama years for granted. Maybe just because of the tenor of this campaign compared to Obama's (and the man himself), but because I was a conservative teenager, I didn't jump on the hope and change bandwagon the way liberals did in 2008. I voted for him, preferred him to McCain, but up until the Palin announcement, it was a relatively tepid preference. After he won, I don't think I became disillusioned but I did become more apathetic, for some reason. I voted for him in 2012 and wholeheartedly supported him over Romney, but I completely expected him to win if only because incumbent presidents usually do. It's really only in the last year or two or three that it became really clear to me how rare Obama was: not just cool, but a thoughtful, academic, searingly intelligent mind with an indelible personality and convictions of doing what's right. A once-in-a-generation leader.

The thought that everything he fought for and accomplished in the last 8 years is now months away from being erased, as if his elections and his work never even happened, is kind of impossible to bear right now. The thought that the First Family will change from people like the Obamas to people like the Trumps is beyond me.

I actually cried this morning. I haven't cried in years; the last time was because two friends of mine had died, virtually one right after the other. But I cried today.

I feel sick and afraid and distraught. And I say that as a relatively privileged person. I'm so sad for everyone else and this country. I don't know how we proceed from here. I wish I was 20 years younger and didn't have the capacity to think about or process any of this. Fuck. I am terrified.

I'd personally like the DNC to strong arm Al Franken to run

- Well liked, well known senator
- Charismatic, funny, able to go toe to toe with the best of them
- A proven record of experience in politics, liberal, able to adjust himself to support a more populist message if possible
- But not as experienced as to appear to be part of the institution
- No major scandals at all besides running his mouth, which obviously nobody really cares about

I look more and more at Democrats who could run, and Franken keeps coming up to me as checking all the boxes needed to win.

He's likable but not particularly energetic or inspiring. I see him as a warmer version of Kerry.

Vestal

Considering his victory speech said that the country owed her a great debt for her service, I think he's just going to drop it. Why would he care about Clinton anymore? She lost, he won, the fight is over.

The first in many rude awakenings the Angry White base of his support is going to see over the coming weeks and months.

Ohwiseone

Which is more likely?

A. Establishment Republicans fall in lockstep behind Trump, even with non-conservative views.

B. Trump follows the establishment lead, given his lack of policy knowledge and unwillingness to learn. He sets the agenda for immigration and trade but rubber stamps everything else.

C. Republicans turn and impeach him when the inevitable scandal breaks (Trump U., sexual assault, etc.) to usher in President Pence

One of those.

More than likely B.

Enough.

She did destroy Bernie. She trounced him by over 4 million votes.

For that matter, Trump's primary performance trounced him too.

So show me on paper how Bernie would have been better.

Poor white working class? No. Bernie is all entitlements, he's compete welfare state, and according to some in here white folk don't like they because they're too principled or some shit. You're tangling yourself here.

Bernie and Trump would have been fighting over the same coalition of voters, only Trump still comes with the name recognition and overt racism that would have put him over the edge. Oh, then there's the fact that Bernie is a gross disgusting pervert who writes rape fantasies (this is how you KNOW the GOP would sell it), and bam. Now you have the problems with women reproduced.

If there is a lesson the Dems should take, it's not running a dope like Bernie in hopes of winning some white rural. It's the complete opposite:

Do not waste a single fucking second playing for the Republican base. Republicans ALWAYS come home. Always.

Democrats thought a Trump candidacy would expand the map for them. They thought wrong.

Riling up your base. Keeping them engaged. Tossing them red meat. Needs to be priority number 1 for whoever runs next.

Because that's what Republicans do. And that's why their base always comes home.

Bernie appealed to a similar voter to Trump, and he might have successfully gotten some of the rural whites who turned out to "Trump that bitch" and stick it to the minorities and Washington elites to turn their white rage against corporations and the wealthy by voting for him. The Dems who turned out for Hillary were going to turn out for Bernie, as well, because minorities were always going to show up to vote against Trump. But... Where it counted, Bernie MIGHT have been a better candidate because this was a change year, and Dems ran the most status quo politician imaginable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hold out small hope he'll be impeached in short order and we at least get normal evil Republicans back in charge.

tmarg

Enough.

She did destroy Bernie. She trounced him by over 4 million votes.

For that matter, Trump's primary performance trounced him too.

So show me on paper how Bernie would have been better.

Poor white working class? No. Bernie is all entitlements, he's compete welfare state, and according to some in here white folk don't like they because they're too principled or some shit. You're tangling yourself here.

I agree with you. I have never been a Bernie supporter, and I think nominating him would have been a disaster. My point is that if Hillary was the candidate we were told she is, she should have destroyed him. He shouldn't have won any state except Vermont.

People don't like her, and that's a problem. I think the reasons people don't like her are completely unfair, but that doesn't change the bottom line.

Wilsongt

Which is more likely?

C. Republicans turn and impeach him when the inevitable scandal breaks (Trump U., sexual assault, etc.) to usher in President Pence.

Pence will be in control like Cheney. However, it appears Trump is a micromanager, so he may be involved in some matters.

Congress still knows there are limits to things they can do... It now comes down to which faction of Republicans decide to take control: Will it be the Sessions/Wilson/Dumbfuck branch of obstructionist,
Or will it be the Rubio et al branch who want to keep their political futures open.

Crocodile

This summation really isn't representative of what the liberal response has been to the plight of blue collar workers, white or otherwise. Whenever the topic is even broached, most of the responses devolve into some form of "Tough titties, you racist, sexist, privileged fucks. Leave your backwoods hovels for the city or get fucked."

In isolation, many liberal, progressive ideologies have gained significant popularity. Democrats have consistently failed at packaging those ideologies into a message that resonates with disillusioned working class people (Especially in the Rust Belt) and we paid the price for it last night. Trump didn't just win with the uneducated white vote: he improved on Romney's 2012 numbers. That should be a wake-up call for all of us.

I mean the Dems have the policy so how do they package it? Income inequality, regulating Wall Street and progressive taxation are all parts of the Democratic platform. Most people couldn't tell you what TPP would actually do but if Obama doesn't get it passed in the lame duck it was dead under either candidate. How do the Republicans better package it that doesn't involve the "cultural backlash" element or straight up lying?

Here's the truth: The Democrats tried to make this a culture war election and they lost the war.

Political correctness, his racist base Trump's infidelities, his tax returns. This is what was hammered over and over by the Democrats and it backfired on them.

I mean it wasn't just that Trump was a racist & sexist but also unfit for the job and knew nothing about how the government or world works. Like even if the first two stuff isn't a deal breaker, the latter two stuff should be.

gaugebozo

Considering his victory speech said that the country owed her a great debt for her service, I think he's just going to drop it. Why would he care about Clinton anymore? She lost, he won, the fight is over.
We are going to hear exactly nothing more on Benghazi or emails.

Boke1879

I guess maybe it's a bright side that if this Republican president doesn't save America like he claims, they can be blamed a little for it

They control all 3 branches and will control the court as well. Damage will be done, but the GOP have no excuses now. Whatever they want to get done they certainly can if they want. So they have to hang it all out now.

Also in regards to Trump. There will be no deportations. Well no more than there are now. No banning of refugees etc. I'll be shocked if he did anything he actually ran on. Like it's been said. Pence will pretty much be President. The GOP can get all of their shit pushed through if they want.

FiggyCal

Banned
I feel the same way.

I'm a straight, white, relatively well-off male from a Christian family. I am despondent today and terrified of what will happen in the next four years. I have never felt this terrified about the future of the country and the world. I cannot even begin to imagine what women, people of color, LGBT people, Muslims and so many more are possibly feeling; a sense of existential dread that has always followed was just dialed up a hundred-fold.

I've felt more and more this year that I took the Obama years for granted. Maybe just because of the tenor of this campaign compared to Obama's (and the man himself), but because I was a conservative teenager, I didn't jump on the hope and change bandwagon the way liberals did in 2008. I voted for him, preferred him to McCain, but up until the Palin announcement, it was a relatively tepid preference. After he won, I don't think I became disillusioned but I did become more apathetic, for some reason. I voted for him in 2012 and wholeheartedly supported him over Romney, but I completely expected him to win if only because incumbent presidents usually do. It's really only in the last year or two or three that it became really clear to me how rare Obama was: not just cool, but a thoughtful, academic, searingly intelligent mind with an indelible personality and convictions of doing what's right. A once-in-a-generation leader.

The thought that everything he fought for and accomplished in the last 8 years is now months away from being erased, as if his elections and his work never even happened, is kind of impossible to bear right now. The thought that the First Family will change from people like the Obamas to people like the Trumps is beyond me.

I actually cried this morning. I haven't cried in years; the last time was because two friends of mine had died, virtually one right after the other. But I cried today.

I feel sick and afraid and distraught. And I say that as a relatively privileged person. I'm so sad for everyone else and this country. I don't know how we proceed from here. I wish I was 20 years younger and didn't have the capacity to think about or process any of this. Fuck. I am terrified.

Donald Trump did well with white women and better than Mitt Romney with minorities. I don't think they're as worried as you are about it.

Ohwiseone

Democrats have to find some Young Senator or something to run in 4 years.

If they want to try to fix this, they need a clean slate. They need someone. I dunno who it is, but someone.

They also need to start getting ready for 2018. In hopes of taking one piece of congress back.

So, like, does Trump get his Twitter back now or something? Or does he not have control of it for 4 years?

Also, as anyone mentioned Katy Tur? Is she still gonna be on the Trump press team?

ZeroRay

I listened to 2+2=5, Scatterbrain, and Wolf at the Door yesterday among a few others from that album and I got fucking chills. HTTT is our reality now.

I think Street Spirit is what I'm feeling right now.

Was quite portentous that I was listening to it yesterday right before I came home to watch the elections yesterday.

Totakeke

I don't know why people talk less about how is it a problem for Hillary to be unlikable (she's an establishment politician and a woman), and not MORE of a problem that Trump is so likable (even with high unfavorable ratings).

The game has changed in a much major way than simply swapping out Hillary for Bernie. Even if Bernie did win, and I would assume narrowly even if that's possible, it doesn't change most of the prognosis here. There's a bunch of people out there that Trump catered to and they are here to stay.

Trump beats Hillary
Obama beats Romney
Obama beats McCain
W. beat Kerry
W. beats Gore
Clinton beats Dole
Clinton beats H.W.

What does every single one of these have in common? The winner was 100%, without a doubt, more charismatic than their opponent. Every single election. Are we sure policies even matter anymore?

Kamala Harris is senator, atleast theres that

I'd be very happy if Kamala could be competitive against a Trump presidency, but it all depends on how terrible the next four years go. Unlike with Obama, there's no way for Republicans to point the finger anywhere but themselves; with the House, Senate, and Presidency in their control, all of the paths will go back to them.

kirblar

Trump beats Hillary
Obama beats Romney
Obama beats McCain
W. beat Kerry
W. beats Gore
Clinton beats Dole
Clinton beats H.W.

What does every single one of these have in common? The winner was 100%, without a doubt, more charismatic than their opponent. Every single election. Are we sure policies even matter anymore?
I'm pretty convinced they don't.

SexyFish

Banned
So, like, does Trump get his Twitter back now or something? Or does he not have control of it for 4 years?

Also, as anyone mentioned Katy Tur? Is she still gonna be on the Trump press team?

Remember.

The @POTUS account goes to the successor.

Imagine those tweets coming from @POTUS instead of @realDonaldTrump

sphagnum

Banned
The next Dem candidate needs to be someone with HRC'S minority appeal, Bernie's economic appeal, and a fuck ton of charisma. No other way around it.

Trump beats Hillary
Obama beats Romney
Obama beats McCain
W. beat Kerry
W. beats Gore
Clinton beats Dole
Clinton beats H.W.

If you're willing to consider that George Bush Sr. was more charismatic than Dukakis, you can extent this to 1980.

I don't know why people talk less about how is it a problem for Hillary to be unlikable (she's an establishment politician and a woman), and not MORE of a problem that Trump is so likable (even with high unfavorable ratings).

The game has changed in a much major way than simply swapping out Hillary for Bernie. Even if Bernie did win, and I would assume narrowly even if that's possible, it doesn't change most of the prognosis here. There's a bunch of people out there that Trump catered to and they are here to stay.

But the totals were down compared to 2012?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd be very happy if Kamala could be competitive against a Trump presidency, but it all depends on how terrible the next four years go. Unlike with Obama, there's no way for Republicans to point the finger anywhere but themselves; with the House, Senate, and Presidency in their control, all of the paths will go back to them.

Black Hillary? Lady Obama? Did you watch the same election I did last night?

Oh there is. He will blame Obama for the problems he creates and the media will not challenge any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom