• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Honestly.

I'm with it.

Shit is gonna change - Dodd Frank might be repealed, the SEC is going to dramatically shift

That's all a given. I just kind of what people at a baseline who are capable. That's my high bar.

You want to see this shit go down don't you?

Pixieking

Banned
Tim Kaine on the verge of tears.

If these appointments come true, I would like to personally come over to the US, and literally show the voters what they've wrought, by buying his bullshit.

Seriously, you're just spouting nonsense. They were working the emails since fucking 2013.

She was already unpopular by the time the campaigns really got started -- the scandals were able to ride that downward momentum. Sanders' had popularity that Clinton did not, and his upward momentum would have made it so that it required much more work to make bullshit scandals stick.

I really believe that 10 months is enough. They started early with Clinton, but Republicans are good an making big deal out of nothing. Remember Kerry? Bernie would not be somehow protected from this insanity.

Plus my whole issue with blaming Hillary for everything is the fact that you are dismissing that significant portion really believed nonsense that Trump said. I think that's much bigger issue than anything related to politics... People are dumb and ignorant and that's sad...

Kusagari

So people are saying the favorites for Health and Human Services secretary in Trump's cabinet are Voldemort and Ben Carson.

This country is fucked.

Every week my dad would mock me for my anxiety or suicidal depression.

My uncle would beat his wife monthly.

My grandfather raped children.

I knew people were awful, but I thought it was 40%, not 49%. I'm so sad right now.

People want to blame Clinton supporters. I can take that on the chin. I stood by her. I still do. Run the whole thing again and she'd STILL be my candidate. I'll be your punching bag. We all need one today.

But imagine if we weren't dealing with wikileaks. Or the FBI going rogue. Or you know... we can 'what if' all day.

No one can prove that Sanders would have solved the problem or not.
We need to look at the votes, and figure out how to reach the people we didn't. Bernie Sanders is not an option for tomorrow, whether he was the right option for yesterday or not.

Wilsongt

People want to blame Clinton supporters. I can take that on the chin. I stood by her. I still do. Run the whole thing again and she'd STILL be my candidate.

But imagine if we weren't dealing with wikileaks. Or the FBI going rogue. Or you know... what can what if all day.

We need to look at the votes, and figure out how to reach the people we didn't. Bernie Sanders is not an option for tomorrow, whether he was the right option for yesterday or not.

Or the media not shutting the fuck up about everything hillary did wrong and took Trump to ask.

PBY

Banned
You want to see this shit go down don't you?
Not at all.

But shit will go down - this is my industry, I already see shit in motion. Dodd Frank is gonna get overhauled, the SEC and FSOC will be gutted.

Given this - I just want some predictability. Someone capable and "evil" is better than someone clueless and evil when it comes to or markets.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People want to blame Clinton supporters. I can take that on the chin. I stood by her. I still do. Run the whole thing again and she'd STILL be my candidate. I'll be your punching bag. We all need one today.

But imagine if we weren't dealing with wikileaks. Or the FBI going rogue. Or you know... what can what if all day.

Wikileaks and FBI is not why Clinton lost. Her complete inability to reach the white rural voter was.

kess

Every week my dad would mock me for my anxiety or suicidal depression.

My uncle would beat his wife monthly.

My grandfather raped children.

I knew people were awful, but I thought it was 40%, not 49%. I'm so sad right now.

Except, you know, they never voted in an actual rapist, wife-beater. Who makes fun of disabled people.

Aaron Blake ‏@AaronBlake 35m35 minutes ago
Come January, 19 of the 30 youngest senators will be Republicans. Dems will only have 4 of 13 under 50.

Who's the old party again?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wikileaks and FBI is not why Clinton lost. Her complete inability to reach the white rural voter was.

No but they were cogs in a machine that contributed to irrational frothing hate. Maybe she would have won a few more if a few less people had been wound to the breaking point on bullshit

JP_

Banned
It would have taken the GOP 0 effort to label him a commie and do cold war redux. There's a reason they kept trying to prop him up during the primaries, or have we forgotten that? Biden might have been able to give it a decent run, but that's about it.

It's easy to believe bad shit about somebody you hate. Harder to eat it up when you like the guy. GOP tried hard to sink Obama with bullshit scandals and look what happened there. GOP doesn't have a magic wand that can brainwash people -- it's just easier to convince people someone they already don't like is even worse.

I didn't buy poligaf's take on it during the primaries. Goes without saying that I don't buy that shit now. Poligaf had it wrong. Obviously.

Grief.exe

Yeah, would have been a good thing for the media to pursue before the election, but there was no time, with all the easy email stories and Wikileaks dumps.

They knew exactly how to disrupt our democracy, by releasing things on a consistent schedule and sucking all the air out of the room.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This didn't matter in 08, this didn't matter on the Republican side in 16 and if Sanders was stronger or could better appeal to the Democratic primary base it would have been a non-issue on the Democratic side. Drop the subject.

This comes off as incredibly rude. The exact same way people reacted when anybody dared say Hillary was a flawed candidate over the past few months.

Look--whether you want to admit it or not, the signs were there. This wasn't 08. The republicans did NOT have somebody they thought deserved the crown in their primaries this time.

I'll continue to talk about this issue if I wish, thanks.

Yeah, she wasn't racist enough.

An article posted in here an hour or so ago shows that the whole "racist" thing is a garbage non-starter. Racism is not why she lost.

Grief.exe

Aaron Blake ‏@AaronBlake 35m35 minutes ago
Come January, 19 of the 30 youngest senators will be Republicans. Dems will only have 4 of 13 under 50.

Who's the old party again?

The bench is dead since the Democrats can't win local races or Governships in off year elections in competitive states.

Fuck.

BriGuy

So is there any point to paying attention to politics over the next year and a half? The Republicans have a blank check to run roughshod with their agenda and it doesn't seem like there's any way to oppose it. I don't see any reason to give a shit in the meantime because it's just going to lead to depression.

In this thread, I have already said that we need to look at how to win over rural America by appealing to their best without sacrificing our values.

Because I think what ifs are bull shit.

In any election that in the end came down to essentially small margins in three states, there are all kinds of things that could have swung it the other way. You don't need a great effect one way or another.

So sure maybe Bernie could have won. Maybe Clinton could have won if the FBI hadn't been so critical or dropped that stupid letter.

Maybe does me no good.

We have to focus on what we *can* fix. We have a serious issue with rural voters. We can look at that, and work hard to bring them back into the light.

We can't go back in time and pick Bernie to see what would have happened.

Boke1879

So is there any point to paying attention to politics over the next year and a half? The Republicans have a blank check to run roughshod with their agenda and it doesn't seem like there's any way to oppose it. I don't see any reason to give a shit in the meantime because it's just going to lead to depression.

I mean you pay attention and see what the fuck they are doing and educate yourself. Also locally see what you can do to get involved to help people who share your views get elected.

jqfbb46.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom