• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count on it.

He might be popular and do ok (with who he won with). He'll ask Republicans for what he wants and they will likely give it to them. He's given them everything that they could ask for. They'll find the money for the infrastructure bills or whatever he plans on doing
No way. The establishment GOP wing inside the party is full on cutting taxes and not spending a dollar more. Those trump plans are going to get shot down. Paul Ryan will spontaneously combust before he drafts a massive spending bill.

Nafai1123

Banned
If I was any of the women who came out and accused him of sexual assault I would be absolutely terrified right now. I cannot even imagine what's going through their heads right now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well he is the most liked politician in America atm. And he created a cult-like following that was quite evident during his rallies. I don't see what's there to laugh.

This is all fucking pointless though. Hopefully the Dems can learn from this fuckery and avoid nominating an insipid candidate like Clinton in 2020.

figure-7.gif

http://shorensteincenter.org/pre-primary-news-coverage-2016-trump-clinton-sanders/

Ha ha ha ha ha, Hillary is going to win by 2 million votes.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/796409592708268038

Far left on Trust busting and the environment, not very detailed on race.

Basically running on the Teddy Roosevelt platform I guess.

I'd be ok with that being the new platform :)
Just gotta figure out a way to prevent minorities from being ignored (Senate and House seats can do that).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You are conflating result with performance. Sanders was able to outperform the polls against Hillary in the Midwest, so did Obama, and so did out new president Trump. In my analysis I only focused in those key state cause they decided the result in my eyes. I could extend the study, I did. He did outperform the polls in florida, NC, MI, WI, PA, NV, and slightly under performed the Polls in OH.

Source: RCP
How can you look at that and said that Sanders with all that was happening was a worst candidates in the battleground states is baffling.

I'm not seeing this. Are we talking about Sanders vs. Clinton or Clinton vs. Obama or Clinton vs. Trump?

Nevada - Clinton won by 5 points, outdoing her polling.
Florida - Clinton was leading 59.9% in polling, won with 64.4%.
Pennyslvania - Clinton was leading with 54.5%, won with 55.6%.

Michigan obviously, and Wisconsin as well for Bernie. In fact, it seems like whoever won actually beat their polling in almost every state.

Am I misinterpreting you? Is this going to be a RCP vs. Pollster thing?

Hah. Oh man. I've been such a wreck that I'd forgotten entirely about all the lovely Voter ID laws, such as the one in Wisconsin! Of course there's no way to actually quantify how many votes that costs, but it sure as hell doesn't help turnout in the population centers filled with minorities and college students.

AniHawk

Ha ha ha ha ha, Hillary is going to win by 2 million votes.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/796409592708268038

Far left on Trust busting and the environment, not very detailed on race.

Basically running on the Teddy Roosevelt platform I guess.

so there is a silent majority. maybe not in wisconsin, but at the national level, trump beats romney. clinton could also outperform obama in 2012 by several hundred thousand votes, do it apparently it isn't a matter of dems staying home. this would be the darkest timeline.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If I was any of the women who came out and accused him of sexual assault I would be absolutely terrified right now. I cannot even imagine what's going through their heads right now.

I hadn't even thought of it until I got up this morning. I'd start looking into a trip to Canada, just until I had a better feel for what he'd try and do.

One big problem is that all white liberals moved to California instead of staying in the Midwest.

But it doesn't make any sense as a white liberal to stay in the Midwest instead of moving to California.

Dierce

Guessing republicans get rid of insurance mandate and all private insurance marketplaces. Allow states to run the Medicaid expansions until they bottom out. Meanwhile pass HSA and other conservative plans piece-by-piece.

To all those far left liberals and their smug indifference to a law that provided a pathway to single payer (and saved lives)...I hope you're happy now, you'll get your wish to start over.

Not to mention the supreme court who will scrap any attempt of universal healthcare if democrats miraculously win all branches of government again. Sander bros are extremely delusional and vengeful. They should be ashamed to consider themselves supporters of his ideas which are now almost impossibly to implement in this country.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I hope that Trump has a moment of reflection and realizes that he isn't standing at a podium screaming whatever he thinks will make white people cheer anymore. I hope the gravitas of the office hits him and he takes this as seriously as it deserves.

we are screwed

Not to mention the supreme court who will scrap any attempt of universal healthcare if democrats miraculously win all branches of government again. Sander bros are extremely delusional and vengeful. They should be ashamed to consider themselves supporters of his ideas which are not almost impossibly to implement in this country.

Forget minimum wage increase.
Forget free college.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, it's put or shut-up time for the GOP next year... they got all 3 branches... let's see them make America great again.

If they can make the economy grow and help the middle-class then so bet it. For all the repeal Obamacare I've heard through the years, I've yet to hear a tangible alternative to get people covered.

Trump won by winning the working class, the uneducated... if he doesn't help them then the parties fucked.

If he helps them, then I think the country will be fine... the middle-class has been fucked for years and slowing falling more in debt and more behind.

I don't think they have any policies to help that.

Thing is, the GOP controlled House and Senate probably isn't going to pass most of what Trump ran on... the GOP isn't stupid enough to get rid of trade deals.... that'd be devastating to their base.

Paches

And Trump was a certified rapist and yet he won. Sometimes (white) people don't give a fuck when they want, crave change.

Doesn't he have a pending child rape case coming up? Does he have to show up for in a courtroom at some point soon? Imagine a president-elect in a courtroom standing accused of rape.

Kid Heart

figure-7.gif

http://shorensteincenter.org/pre-primary-news-coverage-2016-trump-clinton-sanders/

I'd be ok with that being the new platform :)
Just gotta figure out a way to prevent minorities from being ignored (Senate and House seats can do that).

Yeah, I'm just going to say that while Clinton does deserve some of the blame for this loss, there is plenty of blame to go around, and I think the media deserves a healthy portion of it. I seriously bet that more then half of that percentage is emails alone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have no idea what's going through Bibi's brain right now. Israel's only ally just elected a NeoNazi who is currently very pro-Israel, but...

Who also ran on antisemitism at the end.

Yeah, I'm just going to say that while Clinton does deserve some of the blame for this loss, there is plenty of blame to go around, and I think the media deserves a healthy portion of it. I seriously bet that more then half of that percentage is emails alone.

You kidding? Like 90% of that is emails. It's all anyone ever talked about.

The ACA won't be repealed in its entirety, if only because it would be procedurally difficult.

What you'll see instead are the exchanges being closed, most likely, along with some other provisions. The pre-existing condition clause will stay as that is quite popular, and likely also the age-26 allowance under parental plans.

Health insurance will continue to rise though, because the reason it has always risen is not insurability (though that has contributed), it is drug costs.

Stop bringing up Bernie Sanders, he lost to the "Shitty" candidate you guys keep talking about. Obama beat Hillary, if Sanders was was better than she was he would have won as well.

If anything she lost because the democratic base are a bunch of idealists who only want perfection.

And the supposedly strong candidate we were all told would win got crushed by a racist, misogynist know-nothing. Winning the Democratic primaries obviously didn't amount to much of anything.

8% in wisconsin? That would've won her that state.

Michigan and Wisconsin are all within a 20,000 vote margin
Pennsylvania is within a 90k margin

So close

So damn close.

Exactly. There's a whole host of factors that *could* have tipped things our way. Maybe Bernie. Maybe the media. Maybe the FBI. Maybe efforts to suppress the minority vote. Maybe Wikileaks.

I can't tell you one thing or another made that 150,000 vote difference (or whatever). I doubt any one thing solely accounts for it.

But we need to run young optimistic (but still realistic... please) democrats against every incumbent in the house and senate in two years. Then in four years.

Hopefully the white rural voter will still be eager for change from 'the establishment'. That's about the most I can realistically hope for today.

It's 75% emails.

Emails got more coverage on the nightly news than all policy news combined.

Bowdz

My question is how Bernie would have done in NM

New Mexican here.

The Democratic party rolled everyone last night here. We retook the House from the GOP, flipped the SoS seat to Dem, and held the Senate. We have a great bench for the gubernatorial race in 2018 (Hector Balderas is a rising dem star who is insanely popular on both sides. He ran ahead of Susana Martinez in 2014 for the AG race . Seriously, check out his profile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Balderas).

Long story short, NM is solid blue and getting bluer. Bernie would have easily carried it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

That's for 2015. It's probably worse than that. I'm sure there will be some analysis on that for the GE too.

This notion that Clinton was anointed the primary is such bullshit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm genuinely terrified that with the influence of Pence and a GOP controlled government, evangelical conservatives will push for an assortment of horrible things like defunding the Ryan White program - something that was Pence's own idea years ago.

The actual and literal survival of people in my family is in question now.

I just keep coming back to the fact that she'll win the popular vote by a pretty comfortable margin.

I don't know where we go from here.

One big problem is that all white liberals moved to California instead of staying in the Midwest.

But it doesn't make any sense as a white liberal to stay in the Midwest instead of moving to California.

Right. You literally can't blame them. And I won't blame anyone who makes a similar move in reaction to this.

I hope it doesn't happen in any large numbers. But I don't blame a single one of you if you do it.

Any votes gained from nominating Bernie instead of Hillary would have been lost elsewhere.
I'm open to be convinced, show the evidence.

Bernie's message resonated: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-mood-idUSKBN1332NC?il=0

- 75 percent agree that "America needs a strong leader to take the country back from the rich and powerful."

- 72 percent agree "the American economy is rigged to advantage the rich and powerful."

- 68 percent agree that "traditional parties and politicians don’t care about people like me."

- 76 percent believe "the mainstream media is more interested in making money than telling the truth."

That's cause all those things are true as well. How many of those things can be attached to Clinton easily regardless of merit? A LOT.

I'm not seeing this. Are we talking about Sanders vs. Clinton or Clinton vs. Obama or Clinton vs. Trump?

Nevada - Clinton won by 5 points, outdoing her polling.
Florida - Clinton was leading 59.9% in polling, won with 64.4%.
Pennyslvania - Clinton was leading with 54.5%, won with 55.6%.

Michigan obviously, and Wisconsin as well for Bernie. In fact, it seems like whoever won actually beat their polling in almost every state.

Am I misinterpreting you? Is this going to be a RCP vs. Pollster thing?

I'm using polling average forecast from RCP or 538 for my analysis for Clinton Vs Sanders.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Guessing republicans get rid of insurance mandate and all private insurance marketplaces. Allow states to run the Medicaid expansions until they bottom out. Meanwhile pass HSA and other conservative plans piece-by-piece.

To all those far left liberals and their smug indifference to a law that provided a pathway to single payer (and saved lives)...I hope you're happy now, you'll get your wish to start over.

HSAs will destroy the system before anything else would get enacted. Bankruptcies will skyrocket and hospitals and doctors won't get paid. Doctors will be begging formthe old system back after a year or two of HSAs.

Republicans protesting voting Johnson would have been the margin in several states as well.
Basically solidifying that anyone who votes for a third party from either major party ever can suffer in hell for all eternity. Maybe maybe some of them will learn after this year when unexpected states flipped.

Well fine. Maybe not suffer in hell for all eternity. But at minimum be held in limbo for a few years so they can think things over, with appeals heard on a case by case basis, especially for NPAs. It's a shame we had to do this only 16 years after the last time it happened. Will the next generation in 16-24 years listen to then 2 generations of voters who remember feelling like shit? lolno.

Edit: I know the tone here is rather extreme, but it matches my mood. I'm not actually out for anyone's blood. I'd just like to have a conversation with these people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just keep coming back to the fact that she'll win the popular vote by a pretty comfortable margin.

I don't know where we go from here.

Maybe you could move to Michigan. I guess you could work in a factory making plastic furniture.

As far as I'm concerned, the government has repeatedly denied redress for the lack of equal protection under the law.

As such, they leave us with but one choice.

The rights of LGBT+ peoples have been fought for, for decades. It is only recently that real change was applied, and even now, that is in jeopardy. Should this government decide to further impose upon us this closest approximation of tyranny, armed protest is not an inevitability -- it is duty.

I've suffered for too long, and I've only just come to terms with what I am scantly a decade ago. What about those who have been before us? What about those who come after?

I probably sound like an accelerationist douchehole right now but I do wonder if these next few years will be what is needed to fix the party on a local/state level.

Obama was like a bandage covering up how fucked the party is/was. And it was obvious that everyone's solution was just to wait until old people died or demographics shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom