• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantasy runs aside, to be quite honest I don't want to put her through a campaign against Donald Trump. I don't think I could endure that.
yeah black women would get skewered the entire year by the alt right and the russians. There'd be the same "she looks like an ape" and "baby momma" memes we saw in 2008. my mom and sisters don't need to go through that. it'd be gross.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Pros for Franken:

1.) Got his start outside politics : Can run as an outsider while still having a degree of experience.
2.) Could turn off his limiter and be himself. Political norms are out the window, and I don't know of anyone ready to jump in such a situation better than Senator Franken.
3.) Policy wonk AND idealist.

Any cons? I'm sure there are some.

Alarm bells should have sounded off when Trump's POW McCain comment didn't finish him off during the Primaries

some shit went undetected, ignored, glossed over,

That was the moment I knew he won the Primary.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh yea big biz and corporate execs are going to love this. I see a lot of people hyping up the dow. It's good it's surged but it's mostly because Trump didn't say anything stupid and Hillary and Obama were very gracious in their messaging. There won't be any uncertainty in the change in power.

But lets be real. GOP leading all 3 branches is a wet dream for lobbyists and pushing tax cuts for the wealthy.

What fucking idiots. I own a business. I'm terrified because I know Trump is going to tank the economy and we don't benefit from that

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is there anything we can do to prep for 2018?. I'm broken but if we can fight back I'll give all my time. And encourage others to help out. Were all fucked but I want to at least try and minimize the damage.

Is the tea party one of the most successful political movements in the history of our country?

In 8 years they went from being a niche group in the minority party to being the controlling political group of all three branches of the government and the majority of the states.

Almost makes me wish I was a Tea Partier so I could pat myself on the back for a job well done. Because that's actually seriously impressive. Awesome organization from top to bottom, reliable votes, and a rock solid set of beliefs that all candidates were rigidly held to. Wish the liberal Dems would move from minor niche in a minority party to total control of everything in only 8 years.

I think we all agree it's a weak bench for 2020.

Obama needs to forget about VCs and sports teams and help groom a new generation of candidates

Yes, absolutely. If we need to co.promise to get a public option afterwards, fine, but the campaign itself MUST BE for single payer.

Single payer. Free college. Debt forgiveness. Legalize weed. Smash the banks. Jail corrupt politicians and corporate titans. Fair trade. More jobs programs.

GO ALL OUT.

shit yeah this is what's needed.

go for the extreme. republicans always start at what they want and never budge. democrats start where they think republicans will let them have and concede even more. Over promise, under deliver, blame the opposition.

Tamanon

Banned
Pros for Franken:

1.) Got his start outside politics : Can run as an outsider while still having a degree of experience.
2.) Could turn off his limiter and be himself. Political norms are out the window, and I don't know of anyone ready to jump in such a situation better than Senator Franken.

Nothing too much.

Can't really hold being an entertainer against him when he'll be running against Trump.

Still think it is sort of weird that www.democraticunderground.com was hacked on the eve of the election.

I know this is not a major thing, but combined with the hacks of DNC and everything it gives me the feeling this election wasn't so much rigged, but tweaked by the Russians in their favour.

This was my feeling too. I don't think Russia were a defining reason why Trump won, but I think it would be silly to say they had no effect.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Nothing too much.

Can't really hold being an entertainer against him when he'll be running against Trump.

It's kinda ironic, as I think he would have had a good shot at beating Trump, but common knowledge was to hold back until he had some political experience. So much for that.

A core part of the problem here is the underlying authoritarian undertones the GOP has always had; GOP falls in line, ALWAYS. We can't treat the Dem voting block the same way. They won't go out and vote just because the party tells them to vote. They want to be wooed.

You also can't try and scare them into line, they just get disgusted. That's why we're stuck in this cycle of Republicans fuck the country, Democrats get voted in to fix it, they do, then Republicans get voted in again. Because the Dem voting block CANNOT be frightened into voting with promises over what happens if they don't, even though it's happened before.

Anger works as a motivator, but the problem with that is that things have to ALREADY be shit for that to happen, which is non-ideal. The only way to convince people that things are shit without them being shit is to find a scapegoat. The GOP uses minorities for this, and to a lesser extent, women. We are thus faced with two options: fully embrace the "eat the rich" rhetoric, or actually, successfully manage to other-ize Republicans. I'm not sure either is a good idea, long term, though I'd love the second works.

Blader

I think we all agree it's a weak bench for 2020.

Obama needs to forget about VCs and sports teams and help groom a new generation of candidates

This talk is already depressing me even further. I know Trump is likely to serve 8 years just because incumbents usually do, but I really do want to hold out hope that Dems can pose a comeback in 2020. I just don't know how right now...

Pros for Franken:

There's the Jew Card.

Farmboy

If you want to laugh a bit to yourself, think about the non political pomp and traditions a president does, but picture Trump doing them.

Easter egg hunts, the turkey pardons, meeting Olympic Athletes, college speeches

Random stuff every other president has done fine, but Trump will probably make weird, awkward and somehow mess up. He's going to be completely disinterested in any of those things.

No lie, this (but especially the library) has actually managed to cheer me up a little bit. Thanks man, needed that.

pigeon

Banned
God it is so depressing to even contemplate ignoring minorities in order to win an election.

Some people have been arguing all year for it. Some people have been arguing for multiple years for it!

White liberals have been wanting to ditch people of color for a very long time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Al Franken really struggles with not coming across as smug/patronizing. It's not him.

I honestly think the next Democratic president is probably not a Senator at the moment.

Boke1879

What fucking idiots. I own a business. I'm terrified because I know Trump is going to tank the economy and we don't benefit from that

Oh I know, but Trump's base doesn't know or frankly care about that. They think because he said he'll bring back jobs he'll be successful. His plan will fuck them over hard.

kadotsu

Banned
The talk is depressing me because even after this beating, that has been extra bad because the dem base doesn't care about state and midterms, there is still obsession over the presidency. Right now the talk should be: Who can we run to maximize the House/Senate in 2018. This is where Kander is needed.

Some people have been arguing all year for it. Some people have been arguing for multiple years for it!

White liberals have been wanting to ditch people of color for a very long time.

I'm a white liberal (though technically a minority) and don't want to.

I don't know the path forward anymore.

studyguy

I can see Kamala being a contender, but she's so green.
I voted for her myself, I'd campaign like a motherfucker to get her out there.

The Michelle pipedream is just that, a pipedream though, I wouldn't force FLOTUS to suffer politics again when she clearly doesn't like it.

Revolver

Yup. My biggest worry. Dems go more center and only pay minor lip service to the black community.

I heard a pundit on CNN saying they believed Bernie pushed her too far left and her embrace of BLM cost her in a big way with WWC voters. So yeah, I kinda expect a lot of milquetoast centrists in the future.

Aren't we due an economic recession? We got through 8 years of slow but steady growth. Recessions come and go regardless of who is in power or the policies in place.

So, what are the odds that we will we see a slowdown in the next two years?

What are the odds that any slowdown in the next 8 years isn't blamed on Obama?

PBY

Banned
Can't shake this crushing anxiety.

Help.

Also - and I know this is wrong - just am PISSED at everyone that told me not to worry about this election.

When shit goes bad, people feel the need to blame others and point the finger. I know these projections were off for a ton of reasons, but last night was brutal. I'm just venting, and I know that data and reason are still important. Never again tho.

Help.

Also - and I know this is wrong - just am PISSED at everyone that told me not to worry about this election.

When shit goes bad, people feel the need to blame others and point the finger. I know these projections were off for a ton of reasons, but last night was brutal. I'm just venting, and I know that data and reason are still important. Never again tho.

I don't think it's wrong to be mad about people who were telling you to not worry. Not worrying was one of the things that hurt us the most. Trump was the joke candidate until he wasn't.

Everything will be. Anytime something goes wrong in the next 4 will be because of the previous staff.

Trump could be caught having sex with an aide and he would use Obama as an excuse.

I don't think we need to de-prioritize minority rights. I think that we've seen the maximum size of the anti-civil rights voting block with Trump, and it is beatable. We'd lose Florida until demographics finally make it minority-majority, but this is winnable if we can bring white workers back into the fold, or achieve sufficient youth turnout. I think there's enough bandwidth for a modern campaign to pound home both an economically populist and racially progressive message.

What we have here is more a failure of turnout than a demographic shift. We need a candidate we can get enthused about. I love Clinton, and in a fair and just world, she would BE that candidate... but no. What we need is higher rhetoric and a fresh face.

Help.

If it helps , I'm sorry. I apologized to all my friends who I convinced they didn't have to worry about this and that all the signs looked good. In our own lives, I guess we all learned this lesson the hard way/

What are the odds that any slowdown in the next 8 years isn't blamed on Obama?

They'll try, but it's hard to blame the president from years ago and the minority party for economic problems.

The GOP isn't used to having to actually govern and own up to making decisions that cause problems. They haven't had to answer to that in a decade.

BiggNife

I think Franken, Warren, Kamala and even Cuban are all better options than Clinton or Sanders.

It really depends on how the next four years go. It's really too hard to say anything, but I think the liberals in this country aren't going to forget how angry they felt today. I certainly won't.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We can band together and put in work to try to defend civil rights. To keep up the struggle for Black Lives Matter, to fund and volunteer for support networks for the poor and marginalized. All of these are things I can see us coming together on

But man

What are we going to do about stuff like the EPA? No amount of grass roots organizing is going to change what regulatory bodies under Trump get up to

- Single payer
- Universal basic income
- Free college
- Carbon tax, ban fracking, ban coal, major renewable tax incentives

I multiplied the number of adults in the US by 1000, and then multiplied that by 12. Got this: 2.9096498e+12. I'm not too good with numbers, but if I'm not mistaken that is almost 3 trillion dollars per year for universal income

good luck with that

Worrying about the 2020 bench now is useless. we know nothing. Look how wrong we were about bernie and trump.

I don't think we need to de-prioritize minority rights. I think that we've seen the maximum size of the anti-civil rights voting block with Trump, and it is beatable. We'd lose Florida until demographics finally make it minority-majority, but this is winnable if we can bring white workers back into the fold, or achieve sufficient youth turnout. I think there's enough bandwidth for a modern campaign to pound home both an economically populist and racially progressive message.

What we have here is more a failure of turnout than a demographic shift. We need a candidate we can get enthused about. I love Clinton, and in a fair and just world, she would BE that candidate... but no. What we need is higher rhetoric and a fresh face.

Trump is likely to get less or equal votes than romney.

The problem is geography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom