• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have been better off had Hillary won in 08

Also blue dog dems fucked us hard. The stimulus was too small. The aca wasn't enough.

The dems tried to play nice in 09 and it destroyed the long term viability of the progressive movement.

Worst part is they all lost anyway.

They should have gone hard left when they had the chance. It was a once in a generation chance and we went for incremental change when the time called for radical change. I see that now.

Should have gone with amnesty in 2009.

Obama was too realistic and thought that his opponents were good people.

sazzy

I'm ready to put the immediate blame squarely on Hillary's campaign staff.

I still can't believe they completely fucked up on WI PA MI.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We'd have been better off had Hillary won in 08

Also blue dog dems fucked us hard. The stimulus was too small. The aca wasn't enough.

The dems tried to play nice in 09 and it destroyed the long term viability of the progressive movement.

Worst part is they all lost anyway.

They should have gone hard left when they had the chance. It was a once in a generation chance and we went for incremental change when the time called for radical change. I see that now.

the first bit and the second bit don't go together. Clinton has always been the candidate of incrementalism.

mo60

If young people keep not showing up and minorities are less than enthused to vote after this defeat, they most certainly can.

The alt-right isn't going away even if some of these older folks die off. The alt-right is filled with loud young idiots.

Depending on how bad a trump presidency is people may be enthused to vote against him. Republicans are extremely weak in the west and in some parts of the south right now.

:(

This is a comment that should make me laugh but I can't.

Surprised people thought I wasn't white. I have mentioned it before.

I mean ... do you really feel like you have a lot in common with our demographic. I feel like my three white friends are the only dudes in the country in my demo that can relate to me.

Trouble

Banned
Depending on how bad a trump presidency is people may be enthused to vote against him.

If he actually creates a better economic situation for the rural/exurban whites who came out of the woodwork for him, sure. I'd be very surprised if that actually happens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They leaned far too heavily on the data. I think that, given the popular vote win, will be the big takeaway of this race.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What was the last presidential election that didn't leave one-half of the country completely devastated?

I'm in my 40s and honestly, I've never seen anything like this vibe.

Trump was a new low for American politics and that's saying something. It follows that a Trump victory would result in the greatest psychic damage yet, even by the standards of polarized elections.

I don't think that's entirely fair, the ground game for PA was well done and we still lost. Completely missing the rust belt though... yeah that was a fuck up.

Maxim726X

Yup. This is the future. Get rid of the systems that were specifically set up to promote minorities and women in the Democratic Party. Let it go right back to its white male roots. You want progressive values? This is how you get them. Talk about class, not about race, not about gender, not about GLBT. Those people will have to fend for themselves.

It's sad how easy this stuff is to see coming.

I get all this, but right now the party needs to worry about getting to a position of power.

This situation is as dire as it gets... A career politician lost to Donald Trump. That should never happen, and the party needs to get its shit together.

So. While we all play the blame game, why are we avoiding like mad to blame the people who actually voted in someone completely unfit.

Instead we're all feeling sorry for the people who just delivered this nightmare.

And making up fantasies based largely on the things we like as policy as a panacea to bring them in the fold.

I think it's sheer delusion to think that running around campaigning on legalising weed or making single payer the centre piece of the campaign is going to get these rural whites on board. If I'm being less defeatist it maybe maybe gets stupid under 30s to actually vote.

Chichikov

Yeah, this is hot truth there.

OfLLwoK.png

E2FOvVl.png

qFwNA1G.png

WGLId51.png

C05e4La.png

E8ff4fk.png

0HMjlge.png

9LuJC99.png

Bowdz

I multiplied the number of adults in the US by 1000, and then multiplied that by 12. Got this: 2.9096498e+12. I'm not too good with numbers, but if I'm not mistaken that is almost 3 trillion dollars per year for universal income

good luck with that

Facts don't matter anymore. Shoot for the stars.

pigeon

Banned
I'm kind of confused about how you got to there from what Crab said.

Those are the things Crab is talking about. "No more backstage selections." That means no superdelegates, right? Which exist, at least in part, to make sure people of color and women have representation in the Democratic Party. It means open primaries, right? Which hand over a lot more power to occasional Democrats and third-party voters at the cost of the dedicated Democrats. And what do those people who don't turn out much for Democrats or don't vote for Democrats want? I have a guess.

Crab has no excuse, frankly, because he already knows what happens when you kick over the party structure and turn it over to the public. You end up with Jeremy Corbyn and a Labour Party which is simultaneously sacrificing the last shreds of its intersectionality in order to accept left-wing anti-Semites and racists and also utterly incapable of contesting a general election.

Indeed. When you got the chance you shove absolutely everything you can down everyone's throats, because that shit ain't gon fucking last. It never does.

Those are the things Crab is talking about. "No more backstage selections." That means no superdelegates, right? Which exist, at least in part, to make sure people of color and women have representation in the Democratic Party. It means open primaries, right? Which hand over a lot more power to occasional Democrats and third-party voters at the cost of the dedicated Democrats. And what do those people who don't turn out much for Democrats or don't vote for Democrats want? I have a guess.

Crab has no excuse, frankly, because he already knows what happens when you kick over the party structure and turn it over to the public. You end up with Jeremy Corbyn and a Labour Party which is simultaneously sacrificing the last shreds of its intersectionality in order to accept left-wing anti-Semites and racists and also utterly incapable of contesting a general election.

And now you should kinda complete the logic and realize that the democrats avoided all the pitfalls Labour didn't and ended up just as screwed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So. While we all play the blame game, why are we avoiding like mad to blame the people who actually voted in someone completely unfit.

Instead we're all feeling sorry for the people who just delivered this nightmare.

And making up fantasies based largely on the things we like as policy as a panacea to bring them in the fold.

I think it's sheer delusion to think that running around campaigning on legalising weed or making single payer the centre piece of the campaign is going to get these rural whites on board. If I'm being less defeatist it maybe maybe gets stupid under 30s to actually vote.

Some of us have blamed them too, but there's also a bunch of people shouting that down.

This is stage 4. Acceptance. I reached it sometime this afternoon as well.

I still haven't made it past anger. I'm not sure I will anytime soon.

how about tulsi gabbard? she'd be a great contrast to a 74 year old trump, doesn't have establishment taint, is centre left, a veteran, and if she has even an ounce of charisma could engergise minority voters more than hillary did. I guess swing state politics wouldn't come in to play but donald trump is from new york tbf.

yas queen faction in here didn't like her, was that due to genuine misgivings with her policy beliefs or annoyance because she endorsed bernie?

I do recall some iffy foreign policy stuff but they may seem like the better option in 4 years who knows.

I agree it'll probably be some firebrand white dude.

It's just so impressive that Corbyn has managed to get the "everything is the Jews' fault" people on board and still trails by 13 points.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So basically the democrat in 2020 should run on the New Deal 2.0.

And no mater how perfect or tweaked such a deal might be, there will still be people for which it won't meet their ideals. And will stay home.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lol Selzer was the best again

invoke the legacy of FDR. (interment camps aside). The president who guided the country out of the great depression and wwii that created the foundations of the country being number 1.

White people don't give a fuck about internment camps. Only liberal cognoscenti and historians even know what they are. Then again I don't know if people living in Ohio in 2020 know who FDR is.

Indeed. When you got the chance you shove absolutely everything you can down everyone's throats, because that shit ain't gon fucking last. It never does.

And now you should kinda complete the logic and realize that the democrats avoided all the pitfalls Labour didn't and ended up just as screwed.

I mean, not exactly. I know the popular vote is not meaningful but could Labour in the UK ever win a popular plurality or majority of anything?

We need to tweak the message and pick a more charismatic individual but what we stand for hasn't been roundly rejected.

I mean ... do you really feel like you have a lot in common with our demographic. I feel like my three white friends are the only dudes in the country in my demo that can relate to me.

I'd like to think so but I live in la. Though to be fair a lot of my white friends happen to be globalist too

Almost none of my other white friends had their parents born here or themselves. The rest are obvious minorities.

In fact, now that I think about it I only have two people in my life that are multi generational American white family. One of them is my girlfriend.

So I guess you're right. I don't relate to them?

Well now I'm more depressed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Corbyn is a symptom and not a cause. He won because all of the other alternatives were terrible - not a single one of the four candidates that have opposed him would have won an election either, and everyone knew it. The Labour Party is in a terrible bind because it needs an outsider candidate but because becoming Leader of the Opposition in a parliamentary system requires being a member of the legislature and so on, that's literally impossible to really do that, so you end up with just the weirdest MP because that's the best you can do. Labour might have a future in Clive Lewis or Lisa Nandy, but it was just too early for them earlier. They're in the Dukakis years now. I don't often say this about the US electoral system because I think it sucks, but I think the one advantage it has here is that theoretically at least the next Democratic nominee could be anyone. The apparently shallow field amongst actual Democratic politicians is sort of irrelevant in that light.

I've tried telling that to my FB Feed but they seem convinced Sanders would have carried Rural White Men--despite the fact that the only thing actually predicted well was that White Men voted Red--and stomped Trump.

Trouble

Banned
invoke the legacy of FDR. (interment camps aside). The president who guided the country out of the great depression and wwii that created the foundations of the country being number 1.

That will be a weird platform if Trump gets the trillion+ dollars of infrastructure spending he is promising.

how about tulsi gabbard? she'd be a great contrast to a 74 year old trump, doesn't have establishment taint, is centre left, and if she has even an ounce of charisma could engergise minority voters more than hillary did. I guess swing state politics wouldn't come in to play but donald trump is from new york tbf.

yas queen faction in here didn't like her, was that due to genuine misgivings with her policy beliefs or salt because she endorsed bernie?

I do recall some iffy foreign policy stuff but they may seem like the better option in 4 years who knows.

I agree it'll probably be some firebrand white dude.

Gabbard has the charisma of a potted plant

wtf. we have been blaming them all day. Their defenders, saying that we need to understand their plight, have stormed out of poligaf.

mo60

The democrats are not going to pull a jeremy corbyn 2.0 in 2020 or 2024. In 2020 they will focus on working on their strengths in this election which were the western and some southern states while trying to grab 1 or 2 of the midwestern states back.

White people don't give a fuck about internment camps. Only liberal cognoscenti and historians even know what they are. Then again I don't know if people living in Ohio in 2020 know who FDR is.

fair point.

That will be a weird platform if Trump gets the trillion+ dollars of infrastructure spending he is promising.

with the current batshit crazy republican congress? i highly doubt it. then again this election's been full of surprises so idk.

Tarydax

Banned
I haven't cried yet. I'm not angry. I'm still in shock. It hasn't hit me. Shit, this must be how Gul Dukat felt when Sisko took back Deep Space Nine, except Dukat was one of the bad guys.

My dad is going to be so fucking insufferable. And when the inevitable recession/depression hits, he'll pretend like he never voted for Trump just like he did with Bush. When he has to go out of retirement back to a job he hates because of how fucked everything got, or when the planet gets all kinds of fucked up from global warming, I'm going to remind him that this is what he asked for. It's vindictive of me, but I sincerely hopes he lives to 93+ just like my grandma so he can live with the consequences of his actions just like I will. That's the one sick silver-lining I can find in all of this. Misery loves the fuck out of company.

I don't see how the Dems recover from 2 years (at best) of Republican majorities in the senate and house and 4-year control of the presidency. The alt-right is now mainstream - the new normal. Voter suppression is going to be even more widespread. At this point, it seems to me like the Republican party cracked the code. They know now that they don't need Latinos or other minority groups. They just need white people. And white people will fuck it up again and again and again. I don't imagine it's ever going to stop.

As a white man, I really hate white people. From the regressive conservatives to the special snowflake liberals who need to be inspired in order to get off their asses and vote, we truly are our own worst enemies, and we're never going to learn.

Maxim726X

Sums it up.

As opposed to what?

Being on the outside looking in, as they lose control of all three branches of government? What exactly does that achieve?

I got a newsflash for you- If the Democratic party chose a male to be the nominee, we'd likely be looking at a different outcome. Winning is what matters, you can't fix shit unless you win.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Huh, it looks like Trump's margin of victory was actually pretty small in FL, WI, MI and PA.

Not that it matters in the end, but hey, at least it wasn't that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom