• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
The single most important thing for 2020 is that the Dems don't nominate a candidate as unliked, uncharismatic, and oldhat as HRC.

There's no reason to abandon the Obama coalition, and I doubt they would be stupid enough to abandon the coalition after one narrowly lost election. They just have to take working class union whites in the rust belt, who are a part of that coalition, far more seriously then they did this time around.

So, actually, this is a tweetstorm worth reading:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/796465102941782017

I could quote it all but I decided not to, not because I don't value your time, but because of economic issues that seemed more important to me. So click the link.

The tl;dr is that Comey destroyed Hillary's chances. He toppled Hillary's support, cut into her turnout among Democrats, and activated Republicans.

So that's bad.

The bright spot at least is that maybe an intersectional candidate can win again in America, if the FBI and Russia don't work together to destroy her.

And if an intersectional coalition still exists in America after Trump gets started implementing his agenda.

We'll see.

Obama shouldn't have left a bullet in the chamber, should have used the IRS as a weapon like 90% of Republicans already believe that he do.

He was too good of a person and too connected to liberalism.

the only thing im looking forward to is a revival of punk counterculture (i hope). Brexit + Trump should hopefully gives us something.

Not that it's going to be worth it but at least it's something.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This was not a landslide repudiation of the Democratic agenda. This was a race won -- and lost -- on the margins.

Chasing the WWC fantasy is far riskier than bolstering the current coalition -- and actually making sure it turns out in the next election. (also, we know this coalition is growing, and the trump coalition is shrinking)

But the bolded is exactly the problem changing the agenda needs to fix!

We've said the same thing every damn election about GotV efforts and being sure to tell everyone you know to vote for the lesser of two evils, but it clearly isn't working.

pigeon

Banned
Obama shouldn't have left a bullet in the chamber, should have used the IRS as a weapon like 90% of Republicans already believe that he do.

This is something I'm thinking idly about right now.

If we were going to get all the blame for being corrupt and cheating, maybe we should have actually cheated more.

So, actually, this is a tweetstorm worth reading:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/796465102941782017

I could quote it all but I decided not to, not because I don't value your time, but because of economic issues that seemed more important to me. So click the link.

The tl;dr is that Comey destroyed Hillary's chances. He toppled Hillary's support, cut into her turnout among Democrats, and activated Republicans.

So that's bad.

The bright spot at least is that maybe an intersectional candidate can win again in America, if the FBI and Russia don't work together to destroy her.

And if an intersectional coalition still exists in America after Trump gets started implementing his agenda.

We'll see.

If real evidence surfaces that Comey's actions really did tilt the election, could he actually end up being prosecuted under the Hastings act?

Chichikov

the only thing im looking forward to is a revival of punk counterculture (i hope). Brexit + Trump should hopefully gives us something.

Not that it's going to be worth it but at least it's something.
Vampire Weekend will release a xylophone heavy instrumental album called "Orange".

This generation was a mistake.

I'm just venting.

I think somebody posted it today, but it seems they'll make it tough for anyone to want to come here and build a life while also giving people a reason to go elsewhere with this sort of policy.

Doubt the establishment Republicans is going to destroy immigration, but either way there will be issues with getting stuff like that done. Even with historic win in 2014 they still couldn't work together. Trump is apolitical, I bet he'll be persuade by whom ever has the most power in the Congress.

pigeon

Banned
If real evidence surfaces that Comey's actions really did tilt the election, could he actually end up being prosecuted under the Hastings act?

It's clear that Comey's actions were extremely careless.

But for a prosecution under the Hatch Act, they must prove intent.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Obama thought everyone was good. Instead of give and take it was just take and not give.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
God it is so depressing to even contemplate ignoring minorities in order to win an election.

Democrats need to stop equating "Reaching out to rural whites" with "Ignoring minorities." They are absolutely NOT one in the same.

How bad was Clinton's team that they couldn't even secure the turnout to win MI and WI? Robby Mook is extremely shitty at his job.

And now we have a bunch of lunatics running the country into the ground.

So many reasons to be frustrated, but booting a winnable election to a know-nothing fascist is really quite up there.

Well Trunp has promised to kill terrorists families and bring back torture so it's not surprising

Democrats need to stop equating "Reaching out to rural whites" with "Ignoring minorities." They are absolutely NOT one in the same.

You can't do both.

pigeon

Banned

That's what rural whites want. They said it in Hillbilly Elegy, they said it in a million hot takes this year, and they said it yesterday at the ballot box.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I assume that rural whites aren't stupid. I assume they know what they want and voted for it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Tom Cotton must be one the biggest piece of shits in the Senate.

After Obama in 2008, I was really looking forward to never seeing these assholes in any sort of power. Feeling pretty depressed that they will now once again be able to fuck up the US and the world with their destructive neocon policies.

Kid Heart

People want rhetoric and they want hope. Believe it or not trump's MAGA is basically a right wing version of hope and change. A lot of the white rural voters that came out the woodwork this year voted for Obama in 08. It's deluded, and I think unethical to sell something that can't possibly be delivered, but it is what it is.

Like, no joke, one of the reasons I wanted McCain in 08 was because I thought Obama was overselling his campaign and promising more then he could give. Clearly now though I see that as much as people complain later about politicians not providing what they sold you, they still want to be told they'll get everything under the sun no matter how ludicrous it is, policy be damned. :/

mackaveli

Basically this. I was unbelievably scared earlier, when it seemed like the secret Trump majority was real, but no, we just have business as usual: Dems refusing to come out on the balcony unless they hear someone singing JUST so. I don't want to reduce this down to Clinton being unsuitable, because that's wrong, but at the same time... until we can somehow correct core deficiencies in how Democrats view elections, we need to focus on finding the right PERSON. Not even the right politician, but the right candidate. Someone to jazz people up. It's going to be damn hard overcoming GOP voter suppression, but it's doable.

Yeah I agree. I love Clinton and think her experience and policy wonk is good. But for campaigning it sucks. We knew this and she knew she don't like campaigning she jus likes to work. But seems like Democrats need someone first to sell them on the idea and sing for them.

It's sad though that is the reality. That the most progressive idea's in DNC history isn't happening because Clinton isn't the best speaker / campaigner but probably would have got some ideas through with her experience and hard work.

An Obama -> Trump crossover voter

Cw2rEHSWEAEZcKH.jpg

We'll survive Trump but we need to come out stronger, better than we were before.

I think everyone needs to focus a bit less on rhetoric and a bit more on learning about the issues that both sides care about rather than just focusing on one side's complaints. This election has been too divided, in part (imo) because of the endless attacks from both parties and an unwillingness to listen to the issues of the other side.

Also (IMO) because of the insane length of the campaign in the age of 24/7 media, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom