• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I at least am backing my thoughts up with decades of anecdotal experience. I figured with how strong your statement was, you'd have something backing you up.

I do have something. You don't accept it, because you deliberately asked for something impossible (for me to know and document the intentions of millions of Americans), because that protects you from engaging with the question. I laid out my whole argument and position and you dismissed it without a word because it isn't the impossible task you asked me to accomplish. I get the message!

Crocodile

Literally nobody in here is arguing they were forced into voting.

They absolutely are.

Trump promised to ban a religion and enact nationwide Stop & Frisk. As a Black Man who has Muslim relatives, what difference is the end result to me if those actually ever came to pass? Either his voters hate me and want to see all the bad things happen to me or they don't care if all the bad things happen to me. What's the difference? I'm still fucked either way.

Like you're seriously starting to piss me off with this. ______isms are a spectrum admittedly but none of them should be accepted. Trump campaigned on basically the most extreme versions of all of them in his campaign. That is what voters bought. Like seriously, why are you ok with this?

There are probably some nice people among all the detritus that voted for him. Being superficially nice and polite and being a bigot probably aren't mutually exclusive anyway.

I am a gay liberal Asian elitist though so I'm not going to pretend to fully understand white farmers.

If you are still peddling the notion that the Trump campaign wasn't successful because of appeal to bigotry... I have a bridge to sell you. It belongs to Chris Christie Secretary of Transportation.

Liberals are dumb.

mackaveli

I feel like we are circling the drain and the only real suggestions I've heard was "talk less about issues important to minorities" or "be a charismatic minority so you can appeal to at least one block without having to talk much about issues important to minorities". There isn't a meaningful difference between "I'm racist" and "I'm not racist but I voted for someone who was overtly racist" - the end is still the same. We've established that the Democrats have better policies to alleviate most of their concerns. Can someone please tell me for the love of what is holy what exactly needs to be said to this group that doesn't in any way coddle any sentiment of _____ism some of them may have?

It seems like what Clinton said in that leaked speech is correct. Have a public / private policy or image. Don't really talk about these minority right views or gun control views or anything that may benefit 10% or x% of population if it leaves a sour taste with the other side to alienate them. Then when you win or get elected to try and work behind closed doors and get these issues addressed.

Very sad.

pigeon

Banned
Like you're seriously starting to piss me off with this. ______isms are a spectrum admittedly but none of them should be accepted. Trump campaigned on basically the most extreme versions of all of them in his campaign. That is what voters bought. Like seriously, why are you ok with this?

White people will say and do anything to avoid acknowledging the racism of other white people.

There is nothing to gain and everything to lose by locking her away. It is absolutely best for everybody in the GOP if she disappears never to be heard from again. They got what she wanted. She won't be president. Beating the dead horse would only serve to ignite tensions for no good reason.

Oh, they're not going to actually lock her up. There's no evidence, and the judicial system isn't nearly as radicalized as the legislative and, soon, executive. But I do expect that they'll keep hauling her in to give depositions every couple of years.

Allard

Wall is a joke. Especially if he tries to get Mexico to pay for it up front, but even then.

Special prosecutor will be appointed, but nothing will come of it because duh. House will continue to have hearings and generally harass her, though.

Muslim ban might happen.

Repeal Obamacare day 0. Like, the moment the legislative session starts. They already have the bill written and stuck in a drawer somewhere.

The rest is trickier. I don't think they're going to tax Apple & co, because Ryan holds the purse strings and Ryan HATES taxes. But he might kowtow to Trump anyway. TPP is gonna be dead if it's not passed in the lame duck session. NAFTA might be dead.

They might have a special prosecutor but at this point I honestly think Ryan will shut down any potential thing related Clinton. They only ever attacked her because they feared her power as a political weight, she is not going to be back in politics again besides trying to help other democrats get elected so it just comes across as mean spirited politics with no reward.

They try to ban muslims, they fail full stop at a judicial level short of an amendment to the constitution, it violates the constitution in such a flagrant way that I would almost expect even a conservative Supreme court to vote unanimously against it.

I also really, really doubt they have a true 'repeal' obamacare plan in place, almost every-time they did it they knew it was going to get stopped in the senate or at the presidency, so they piece mealed changes through out of dares. They now have all 3 branches which means anything they pass will have consequences attached to the entire party, ACA may not be popular as a name recognition but the policies enacted inside of it are, they wholesale rip that out they may have a public revolt due to how ingrained it is in the system, there is a reason it took 5 years to fully implement because all the gradual changes would have been a nightmare in a one day change. To me this will be the most interesting things to watch going into the new congress (morbid interest) in just how they handle this. Its going to be the first ultimate test of their new found powers in whether some people in their party in the senate and the house have some sort of courage to say "Lets think this through". Its part of the reason I am not 100% certain they will remove the filibuster save for maybe judicial appointments and the like. I like to believe there are enough republicans in the senate who might be terrified at what might get through beyond what was originally just rhetoric to save votes in their state. If they can make the 'other' party the obstructionist and they 'compromise' it makes them look better nationally and keeps the country from going into a depression.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well I know WI MI and PA were like 1 point margins.
CNN had an article up (I cannot find it) where they said the Comey letter probably cost them AZ... but I find it hard to believe that's the only state. One thing's for damn sure, that letter didn't just hurt the downballot...

I think CNN had some exit polling data saying that most people had made up their minds by September? Can't seem to find it though.

thefro

Yeah, Dems are basically at Defcon 2 right now.

The backlash against the Republicans is going to be insane if Trump fucks up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Same here... I want to force myself to sleep now but I want to time it right, have to work tomorrow.

I got about 5 hours this morning, with an hour of just laying in bed staring at the ceiling in a deep-seated rage.

I still can't believe we now have President Fuckface Von Clownstick. It just feels wrong and surreal.

Do you really think Clinton lost because she is a woman? The majority of people in the country voted for Clinton and Obama the past 3 elections. I think generalizations like this are harmful and have been very harmful this past election.

well, we at least some need someone who is
a) more comfortable for rural white america to vote for
or
b) more exciting for minorities to vote for

Clinton underperformed Obama on both of those fronts. that rust belt ended the night. i honestly don't know what we need, but whatever people didn't like about Hillary, whatever it may have been, is what we don't need to be strong in 2020.

No I do not believe Hillary lose because she is a woman. But i just feel after 4 of President Trump that we are going to be more limited in what his america will vote for.

I think that "establishemen" moniker is what beat her ultimately

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
well, we at least some need someone who is
a) more comfortable for rural white america to vote for
or
b) more exciting for minorities to vote for

Clinton underperformed Obama on both of those fronts. that rust belt ended the night. i honestly don't know what we need, but whatever people didn't like about Hillary, whatever it may have been, is what we don't need to be strong in 2020.

No I do not believe Hillary lose because she is a woman. But i just feel after 4 of President Trump that we are going to be more limited in what his america will vote for.

I think that "establishemen" moniker is what beat her ultimately

My parents who are typically apolitical are distraught today, i've never seen them this way.
We all voted at least in FL, the White Rural Horde won and we live in the middle of it.

While I wait to hear more about Bernie Sanders, here's a little light reading.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/how-trump-made-hate-intersectional.html

Exactly.

Immigrants are coming here and starting successful businesses and educating their kids to work in STEM, as doctors, as professors. I instruct college classes for a living, and the amount of bright, hard-working, African, Asian, and Latino/a people who come through my classes is noticeable. It's everything beautiful about the American dream.

Meanwhile, a bunch of angry white folks in the Midwest think they're owed a fucking factory job that makes them 80K a year and are mad that other folks are passing them up. Like, GO TO FUCKING COLLEGE AND MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF. Fuck. Sorry that the world is getting increasingly more global and you can't compete with a Malaysian factory worker anymore. Fuck you, go get educated like the fucking rest of us had to do.

It burns me that I worked so hard to get where I am, and a bunch of white rural and union workers are irritated because their racism is so ingrained that they are mad that they have to do a quarter of the work I did to get what they want.

Sorry if that's too much of a #hottake, but that sure is fuck how I feel. And hey, if the issue was that they needed help going to college, I am fine paying more taxes to help them go for free or for a low cost! But ask for help, don't try to drag me down with you because of petty, envious racism.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We need to lay the blame right where it belongs.

On Chicago.

mf0C2kM.png

Where on earth is this idea that the Republicans are going to oppose Trump on anything coming from? They've always been utterly cowardly when it comes to challenging any kind of move from their right. Look at McCain, for crying out loud.

The Muslim ban is gone from his website. Not sure if that is telling of something or just a coincidence that it was removed after he won.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rants-website-statement-removed-a7408466.html

Trump never had any real stances, and his voters will learn that soon enough.
I was just thinking about how all that stuff about him hiring a special prosecutor to indict Hillary probably won't even be brought up again. but that rhetoric got him to the oval office.

Do you really think Clinton lost because she is a woman? The majority of people in the country voted for Clinton and Obama the past 3 elections. I think generalizations like this are harmful and have been very harmful this past election.

It's not about whether she actually lost because she's a woman, it becomes a narrative that any potential nominee has to overcome. You also have to consider what the electoral landscape looks like after four years.

AntoneM

ANY legislation that Democrats compromise on which ends up being a disaster, say whatever Republicans replace the ACA with, will be shoved back into their face with a "Dems voted for it to" or "It's not Republicans fault, if it passed without comprise it would have worked". No compromise.

Loxley

Yeah, of all of Trump's promises, repealing Obamacare is far and away the most likely to actually happen. Short of getting an establishment candidate in the oval office, the GOP pretty much had their dream scenario realized with this election by gaining control of all three branches of government. They've been talking about repealing ACA since it was created, so I think that one is pretty much a sure thing.

He's not gonna do shit to Hillary.

Dierce

I'm trying to understand. When a democrat is elected president are any lives truly put on the line the same way that republicans do with their calls for deportations, welfare reform, deregulations and many other inhuman initiatives.

I just can't believe this universe is our reality anymore.

ANY legislation that Democrats compromise on which ends up being a disaster, say whatever Republicans replace the ACA with, will be shoved back into their face with a "Dems voted for it to" or "It's not Republicans fault, if it passed without comprise it would have worked". No compromise.

Yup. I understand that we can't whip D voters into shape, but for god's sake we need to keep our reps and Senators in line. Noyes votes on R issues EVER. Not unless it's a 0 compromise bill from OUR SIDE. Which is never going to happen, so forget that last bit.

This didn't work in 2006 or 2008.

So President-elect Trump has:

- Trump U case;
- Over a dozen women accusing him of sexual assault;
- Russian intelligence with blackmail video;
- Media potentially has the video + women who he asked to abort;

Plus:

- Huge conflicts of interest as POTUS and Trump Organization's Chairman;
- Unknown financial investments from foreign banks and investors;

1) Will the media GAF about these issues and treat them legitimately? And how long will it take?
2) Will the Democrats actually try to attack Trump from day 1 or give him a honeymoon period? Who will lead the attack?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Unsure about hispanic groups, but I think he won the tiny black Republican group Romney did and decreased turnout made that a larger share of the black electorate.

Part of it is lower turnout (from Democrats more than Republicans) which increases the percentage of Hispanic / Black vote Trump got as a consequence. You'd expect that from the black vote with Obama no longer on the ballot , not sure what happened with Hispanics.

Hrm...implication of that is that the main difference was that minority voters didn't show up in swing states? At least based on what CNN / etc are showing, it looks like Trump just basically got the Romney vote, and the Dems didn't show up. If the theory of decreased turnout leading to minority gains (relatively speaking) for Trump is true, then the implication is that minority voters in swing state major cities just didn't show up.

Basically, this could have nothing to do with some massive surge of white voters propelling Trump forward (especially because it looks like he tied Romney's share of the white vote), and much more about a lack of turnout on the Democratic side. :-/

studyguy

Hard to see happening when it's the GOP presidency too. Most people just assume the congress acts as a hand of the president so what congress does = the president instead.

Wonder if NH, Arizona, and Michigan will ever be called...
Or have they and Google just decided to stop updating the map?

If Trump wins Michigan, that would mean Trump would have won this election even if he lost Florida. That notion would have been considered a troll post 24 hours ago.

I'm trying to understand. When a democrat is elected president are any lives truly put on the line the same way that republicans do with their calls for deportations, welfare reform, deregulations and many other inhuman initiatives.

Nope. D wins at worst threaten to damage the economy. Nobody is going to die from any part of the Democratic platform.

But that's not enough to get people go out and vote, apparently.

pigeon

Banned

I don't want to go to war in the Middle East, but it'll be nice to see the people who refused to vote for or organize for Hillary because of the Syrian civil war realize what they've done.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I got about 5 hours this morning, with an hour of just laying in bed staring at the ceiling in a deep-seated rage.

I still can't believe we now have President Fuckface Von Clownstick. It just feels wrong and surreal.

I went to sleep around 4am and woke up at 7 and I haven't been tired all day

This is terrifying

Hillary's emails killed Benjamin Ghazi so yea i would say so.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Where on earth is this idea that the Republicans are going to oppose Trump on anything coming from? They've always been utterly cowardly when it comes to challenging any kind of move from their right. Look at McCain, for crying out loud.

Republicans answer to voters in their Republican primaries above all else. They answer to the people that call into their office. If their primary voters agree with whatever Trump is pushing, then there will be no pushback. If Trump suggests something unpopular with their primary voters, then they oppose.

Trump has no consistent policy. It is not inconceivable that he might suggest something that the base does not like.

We democrats need to do what we always do when the going gets tough

Make jokes and laugh. Comedy helped us immensely during the Bush years. The Daily Show was a national treasure at the time.

I get that he's exhausted and done with this bullshit, but somebody needs to put a gun to Jon Stewart's head and get him back out there. I don't know if I'll survive 4 years of Trump with only Trevor Noah and the new, more neutered Colbert.

(Sam Bee is pretty good too I guess, but once a week c'mon)

Malvolio

Exactly.

Immigrants are coming here and starting successful businesses and educating their kids to work in STEM, as doctors, as professors. I instruct college classes for a living, and the amount of bright, hard-working, African, Asian, and Latino/a people who come through my classes is noticeable. It's everything beautiful about the American dream.

Meanwhile, a bunch of angry white folks in the Midwest think they're owed a fucking factory job that makes them 80K a year and are mad that other folks are passing them up. Like, GO TO FUCKING COLLEGE AND MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF. Fuck. Sorry that the world is getting increasingly more global and you can't compete with a Malaysian factory worker anymore. Fuck you, go get educated like the fucking rest of us had to do.

It burns me that I worked so hard to get where I am, and a bunch of white rural and union workers are irritated because their racism is so ingrained that they are mad that they have to do a quarter of the work I did to get what they want.

Sorry if that's too much of a #hottake, but that sure is fuck how I feel. And hey, if the issue was that they needed help going to college, I am fine paying more taxes to help them go for free or for a low cost! But ask for help, don't try to drag me down with you because of petty, envious racism.

If only they pulled harder on their bootstraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom