• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's a real question. The 1600 guys talked about it, as did the Slate gabfest crew. He was strongest where Hill was weakest, in some ways.
But people should stop forgetting that the inverse was true as well. He was weakest in ways Hillary was strongest.

Barring a recount Hassan wins in NH. YAY!
Ayotte already conceded.

We're at 51-48 R majority in the Senate. There's a Louisiana Senate runoff between an R and a D that will 99% certainly go to the R. I dunno, maybe they can pull a miracle out of "Trump is a jerk"

Hoping (and I really wish it didn't come to this) Collins, McCain and Graham (among others) stick to their general philosophy on the filibuster and don't let McConnell get rid of it. ACA will be compromised via reconciliation and we'll probably have to deal with the fucking Ryan budget but if Dems maintain a united front we should be able to preserve most of Obama's legacy.

Man, I really need to call my psychiatrist in the morning and beg for a week of valium or something that'll let me actually rest for awhile.

One of the saddest parts of this all is that 90% of it is complaints and observations that we already knew of. The only actually different thing yesterday was Democrats not voting, where had even a few hundred thousand more bothered to we'd have had a different result. The rest of the analysis was on the table beforehand. This is why other than "racists+lazy dems" it seems there's not actually that much to cover! I was wrong yesterday to say we won't be able to understand this election. It's entirely possible if you remember the average American is a selfish jerk.
"Economic Anxiety" though
This is precisely why the Sanders statement is complete bullshit. It's like he didn't even look at the results before commenting. And of at least equal weight to angry white people voting Republican is Democrats just NOT VOTING, and that needs to be called out more by absolutely everyone (including Sanders). Turnout everywhere was down, but enough of the white vote got filled in by who couldn't bother to think for 2 seconds about other people.

Just hunting down the latino vote wasn't enough. Actually, didn't that go pretty well? There's little reason why NV/FL/AZ should have ended up where they have without it. Apparently there wasn't much of a GOTV effort for them in non-critical states? Take CO vs NV as an example of a margin that's way too close when it shouldn't have been given their hispanic population. Cuban Americans broke more for Trump despite the fact that the busted him doing business behind the embargo. lol. It's not quite as stupid as evangelicals 80% to the candidate not of faith, but close.

I'm sorry but some of this thread is a bit much, like Jesus Christ guys. Though I am a white, straight male so feel free to shit on me for saying that but I'm about to ditch this thread for good. Turn some of the doom and gloom into motivation on how to fix this mess.

There is a shitload of energy on the grassroots level for, what I might as well call, "not shitty Americans" and it is literally the day after the election. People are already trying to figure out how to fix this party (including in this thread!). On Twitter and Facebook I see tons of people more motivated than ever before to go out and make a difference and to fight back against hate at every level of government. I mean we are literally already seeing protests!

We see energy now and then the midterms come and nobody gives a fuck. That is literally all Democrats have to do is just fucking show up and vote. We didn't need to "fix" anything this election to win it. We just didn't show up. Trump supporters outnumbered us and barely at that. This was just idiots buying into the "both sides" bullshit and of course the Comey letter the final weeks that fired up the Trump camp and gave him an easy message to finish off with.

Which as reported today at the beginning of October the RNC polling had 2 toss up states within 3 points in NV and GA. November 4th it was 13 states!

We fucked up no doubt but the main reason we lost is a good chunk of Democrats decided to sit this one out in states that mattered.

ampere

Barely slept, barely ate anything today, called sick to work, but finally got myself up and went to the gym to run

I am feeling FURIOUS right now. Having some vicious and hateful thoughts towards those who oppress and who have enabled oppression, but I know these aren't productive without doing something to help marginalized people.

Thinking about the GOP platform from this year makes me seethe. Old fucking men who need to die off are set to revoke so many of the rights and progress that we've made under Obama.

Just so mad right now.

I guess one thing we'll have to consider policy-wise is how to ease the transition into being a free-trade, more-open-borders country in a world that becomes increasingly smaller by the year.

I've been thinking quite a bit about this, and honestly, I don't think that you can have free trade without a robust social safety net.

It's going to get ugly for these Trump supporters over the next four years. One thing that's pretty amazing is that they've harmed us all with their vote, but they really fucked themselves because Paul Ryan is about to put them in a world of hurt. I probably get a tax cut out of this, actually, but these guys are fucked.

So what is smart policy to push to voters that can a) beef up a safety net for those who need to transition to other fields, and b) can be pitched in a way that the "hand-outs" attack isn't as effective pushback against it. The big issue is that these Trump voters will reject policies that they perceive as being beneficial to non-whites in any way, so how do we thread that needle in presenting such policies?

I don't think this is a given any more. We're seeing the collapse of global order. With climate change this is going to get worse.

Key to democratic win in 2020. Promise dumb unobtainable shit to win uneducated whites in rust belt. Trump will probably be riding high with his tax cuts that won't wreck the economy until his 2nd term though.

Chichikov

So what the hell is our strategy going forward? Trying to court people that want a majority of the Dems' coalition dead or deported?
Organize to protest/fight some of the shit that is going to come out of the white house and/or congress. I think DACA and the ACA are the most likely candidates.
Get people mobilized, do what you can and hopefully you can build momentum that leads to the midterms.

Then we'll see.

Frankly, I have no particular bad feelings towards Bernie. I just don't want to hear more about him.

Sounds like you might have some bad feelings towards Bernie then.

Hillary supporters (including myself) are going to suffer through more than a few "I told you so"-s, it's just inevitable. Whether or not Bernie would have actually been more successful, the single most repeated argument for her during the primaries was her "electability" and the perception that she was a safe pick. That failed massively.

Boke1879

If we're smart: we'll use the Trump presidency to put the fear of God into the left.

That's definitely step one and I think dems are going to be stewing on this for a while. Once he gets into office dems need to go on the attack about all the polices he and the GOP will enact.

Then dems need to rebuild the coalition the minute he steps into office. A lot can happen and change in 4 years.

I just... I can't even reason with these fucking people...

o4Cq965.png

bplewis24

Neo Member
you're already doing it man

Sometimes you just have to let people dig their own holes. This is the same rhetoric from the "let's find any irrational way to turn Bernie into a horrible guy" crowd that was going to backfire long-term (and apparently short-term, also). Now some folks wanna double-down on it instead of learning from it. That's a recipe for disaster and no different from the right wing echo chambers that ignore everything that doesn't fit into their narrative. Let's hope it's just venting and it blows over after a few days/weeks.

Crocodile

I apologize if I've come off harsh or testy today. I will admit that my emotions are a bit frayed today. I feel a large segment of America just said "fuck you in particular" so I'm not in a good mode.

ampere

Trump is not building a wall and Hillary is not going to jail. People need to get over that.

Nobody ever thought the former would actually happen

The latter is something that would be unprecedented, but not impossible especially with insane AG Rudy Guiliani. If you don't understand this, that's fine, but kindly don't speak of what you don't understand.

Boke1879

Barely slept, barely ate anything today, called sick to work, but finally got myself up and went to the gym to run

I am feeling FURIOUS right now. Having some vicious and hateful thoughts towards those who oppress and who have enabled oppression, but I know these aren't productive without doing something to help marginalized people.

Thinking about the GOP platform from this year makes me seethe. Old fucking men who need to die off are set to revoke so many of the rights and progress that we've made under Obama.

Just so mad right now.

Channel that anger into action. Talk to your friends about this and family. Talk to strangers if possible. Get involved locally and recruit others. Pay attention to state elections and vote.

I don't think this is a given any more. We're seeing the collapse of global order. With climate change this is going to get worse.

So, this is terrifying, and actually one thing that scares me is the mass wave of immigration that's coming when the land people live on begins to flood.

Jesus, dude. I mean, you're probably right to some degree.

Oh shit, I just realized that his tax returns should come out if he's not totally bullshitting about the audit. Like, how does he go 4 years saying "I'm under audit, can't do it"?

Speaking of race politics heading towards death, criminal justice reform is dead.

And by dead I mean republicans will pass reform that puts more cops on the street and opens up prisons.

Oh and remember how the Obama administration wanted to cut ties to private prisons? Get ready for more funding to be sent to them.

One thing that is just so impressive that is the rural whites still voted for Trump even though he showed no empathy whatsoever towards the fact that their children were addicted to heroin.

I mean, they sold out their children's humanity (and maybe their own! Lots of rural white adults are addicted to heroin) just to vote for the moron. Just so impressive.

Oh shit, I just realized that his tax returns should come out if he's not totally bullshitting about the audit. Like, how does he go 4 years saying "I'm under audit, can't do it"?
Maybe the media will actually treat it like a real fucking issue.

But maybe Cory Booker will have some emails or something.

He will come up with another excuse. He will control the government after all. He can make the IRS do whatever he wants. Maybe more scandals will come out now, but I doubt it. I guess that apprentice n word tape will never see the light of day.

Man. I slept maybe 2 hours last night, called in sick, and I just realized I haven't eaten or drank anything since before most of the election results last night.

I don't remember ever willingly doing this. I feel like shit. I have a headache.

I'm going to get some In N Out...I almost never eat fast food but fuck it. fuck it all, I'm eating a fast food burger and fries because just fuck it.

The only tax returns we will see maybe are the ones while he is in office. From this point forward you'll hear the drumbeat of "my previous tax returns don't matter anymore." Count on it.

Speaking of race politics heading towards death, criminal justice reform is dead.

And by dead I mean republicans will pass reform that puts more cops on the street and opens up prisons.

Oh and remember how the Obama administration wanted to cut ties to private prisons? Get ready for more funding to be sent to them.

Police are going to be a protected minority. Wouldn't be surprised to see a police immunity bill or at the very least AG will refuse to prosecute any police.

BanGy.nz

Banned
So what the hell is our strategy going forward? Trying to court people that want a majority of the Dems' coalition dead or deported?
I think the coalition stays the same we just need to not run a white woman with 25 years of propaganda thrown at her.

I'm so fucking done with all the "well I'm a straight white man, and personally my feelings were pretty hurt with all this name-calling from liberals" bullshit.

If you ever expect me to coddle you while my people are being slaughtered like animals without justice, you can go fuck yourself. I'm not in the mood for this shit.

Pretty much where I am.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm so fucking done with all the "well I'm a straight white man, and personally my feelings were pretty hurt with all this name-calling from liberals" bullshit.

If you ever expect me to coddle you while my people are being slaughtered like animals without justice, you can go fuck yourself. I'm not in the mood for this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom