• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
My teacher friend has had to deal with hispanic and muslim students coming up to her crying asking if they are going to be deported. None of the teachers were prepared to deal with this shit.

thefro

But nah, kick him out for Kaine who failed. Then Debbie who failed. And now lady I forget the name of who failed.

Donna Brazile. She was actually Gore's campaign manager in 2000 too. :(

Are people expecting Obama to be critical of Trump? There's no way he says anything negative about Trump, ever. He's going to embrace the tradition of Presidents not criticizing the office-holder. It's actually something to admire about G.W. Bush's post-presidency.

He's not going to be critical until Trump takes office and actually starts doing stuff. I don't expect him to be silent if Trump attempts to do what he campaigned on.

Honestly, I have the education and job experience to relocate to Canada, and yes, I know that's all the rage to talk about every time one side loses, but I am getting my TOEFL cert and they need ESL instructors.

I'd stay here and fight, but I want to have a child, and I am not raising a black kid in America right now. I just can't.

Sanjuro

Are people expecting Obama to be critical of Trump? There's no way he says anything negative about Trump, ever. He's going to embrace the tradition of Presidents not criticizing the office-holder. It's actually something to admire about G.W. Bush's post-presidency.

I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise. The election is over. Him doing anything different during the transition is just adding fuel for early Republican diversion.

Fedelias

I was too young to fully experience the Bush years, really did my growing up under Obama. It's going to be weird to be actively hating the presidency/government for the next 4 years. Not a feeling I'm used to at all.

Obama's first words post-election are: we're all the same people, there are no republicans and democrats, respect the institutions and rule of law.

This is the liberal hero. Trumpism ain't that bad guys chill out.
You're right, the president should foment unrest to undermine the results of a democratic election

chefbags

I was too young to fully experience the Bush years, really did my growing up under Obama. It's going to be weird to be actively hating the presidency/government for the next 4 years. Not a feeling I'm used to at all.

Yep. I'm just the same. Started high school with Obama. Now I'm starting my mid twenties with a fuck face and I fucking feel so sick thinking about it as each second passes.

I wish Sun/Moon came out this week

I need my safety blanket of Pokemon sooner
Definitely understand how you feel there. I mean... It technically is available to play now though if you need it. I don't want to encourage the methods needed to play it right now but at the same time I value your mental health more than I do piracy or copyright law (which I do respect, but life naturally trumps that for me).

In any case just do your best to hold in there. We're all there with you. <3

Obama's first words post-election are: we're all the same people, there are no republicans and democrats, respect the institutions and rule of law.

This is the liberal hero. Trumpism ain't that bad guys chill out.

He needs to respect the peaceful transfer of power

Once Trump is in office, all bets are off

He's still the president right now and needs to act like it.

Angry Fork

Subject to years of Republican untenable economic experimentation, worst possible ending for Climate Change, Voting Rights Act eviscerated, and a Supreme Court that will be extremely far to the right for a generation.

Sorry, there is no good endings here.

That's why Obama's complacency is stupid as fuck, but he's been like this for years.

You're right, the president should foment unrest to undermine the results of a democratic election

When the results are a fascist insurgency you're fucking 100% right we should undermine the results and subvert every institution that created this. If your immediate reaction to this is respect U.S. institutions you're lost as hell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm curious, because this is my region.

Why didn't pseudo-rust belt western NY go for Trump? Rochester and Buffalo voted pretty much like they normally do. Unlike its peers in Michigan.

Although, at least for Rochester, medical and tech jobs are taking over the old Kodak crowd, so it's not quite as rusty as it used to be. Don't know what Buffalo's economy is like.

Clinton did a lot of good work upstate when she was senator. Plus Schumer makes the rounds every year so that probably helped out some.

My teacher friend has had to deal with hispanic and muslim students coming up to her crying asking if they are going to be deported. None of the teachers were prepared to deal with this shit.

I know a bunch of teachers and they're all shell shocked.

Fedelias

Obama's role in the next 4 years has definitely changed, or at least shifted somewhat. I really hope he'll be outspoken and involved as much as possible because we fucking need him.

The peaceful transition of power is... basically the sole thing that I feel we should agree with the Republicans to respect. If we lose that, it's done. We're gone, forever. No coming back.

The second he leaves office I wanna see the gloves come off. He's got to have a lot of shit pent up after all this time, and even more now that the election is over. He's gonna unload it and it will be glorious.

Joeytj

Banned
Man, what a couple of 24hrs. Like everyone else has said, it feels like the entire world is in mourning.

I live in Tijuana, Mexico, on the border with San Diego, so about a third of the population here is American or has dual nationality. We can use dollars for almost everything and a binational border life is just regular life.

A lot of my friends couldn't sleep either. I just decided I couldn't just keep refreshing this thread or others. Even logged out of Twitter.

Everybody's been commiserating the entire day. But, like Obama said, there's work to be done, in both our private and public lives.

There were tears in the eyes of some White House staffers as they gathered in the Oval Office on Wednesday morning, hours after Donald Trump was elected president in a stunning upset. President Obama scanned their faces for a moment before offering a word of comfort.

“He basically said, ‘This doesn’t undo what you have done,’ ” said a senior White House staffer.

Obama quickly urged them not to give into the passions of the moment, the staffer said, and instead to get busy — preparing to host the president-elect at the White House on Thursday and setting in motion a smooth transfer of government.

“We have jobs to do,” the aide said, and there’s no time to “give in” to feelings of disappointment about Trump’s defeat of Hillary Clinton, whose campaign was run by several former senior Obama aides and whose candidacy was seen as the best insurance of Obama’s legacy, heavily dependent on his executive actions on climate, foreign policy and other issues.

Definitely understand how you feel there. I mean... It technically is available to play now though if you need it. I don't want to encourage the methods needed to play it right now but at the same time I value your mental health than I do piracy or copyright law (which I do respect, but life naturally trumps that for me).

In any case just do your best to hold in there. We're all there with you. <3
I'm doing alright. It would just help.

My brother, mom and I ordered Chinese and played board games all day. She is taking this really hard. She believes this is it for America and we're going to become Nazis. So she's very afraid. So my brother and I needed to calm her down and it helped.

Then I played Binding of Isaac and beat up Satan (which is an accomplishment, since I'm bad at the game). Then played TF2 for awhile.

I'll manage. I started looking at things to laugh at about this election like how ridiculous it is that Donald Trump will have to pardon a turkey. I'm also looking forward to liberal comedians ripping him apart over the years.

I'm just kind of empty. Trump being president won't really affect me in my blue liberal bastion. And I'm white. And my job is decently safe. So part of me is like "well, this doesn't affect you, you're fine, calm down" and the other is "man, this is really awful and so many people are going to be miserable"

I'm not going to pirate a Pokemon game. The leaks are enough for now. The fact that there's a Bug/Fighting Pokemon named Buzzwole is hilarious.

That's why Obama's complacency is stupid as fuck, but he's been like this for years.

When the results are a fascist insurgency you're fucking 100% right we should undermine the results and subvert every institution that created this. If your immediate reaction to this is respect U.S. institutions you're lost as hell.
Ordinary people can do this. They can rail against the terrible result.

The outgoing President cannot during his lame duck period.

Don't be ridiculous.

Come on now. We have no way of knowing this.

DNC has no competent state-level national infrastructure. This is a party that routinely loses governorships in deep blue states.

It's not promising unless they start in overdrive to at least stop the bleeding in 2018. And understand that at least in the short term, populism and minimal policy position reigns.

I posted this on facbeook. Thought I would share here:

Okay. Tomorrow, our work starts.

We lost. It sucks. It sucks bigly (big league?). It sucks more because Hillary won the popular vote and if we weren't deciding elections based on an archaic system from the 18th century, she would be President-elect. But here we are.

We can cry today. Tomorrow, we have to go to work. We have to make sure that Trump's agenda is stopped at all cost. We need to protect our immigrant friends, support our black friends against police brutality supported by our "law and order" president elect. We need to protect our Muslim friends, who will now be assumed terrorists by our president elect. We need to protect women's rights, and the rights of women to make their own healthcare decisions. We need to support LGBT rights, especially the rights of trans people who will surely no longer be protected under federal law. We cannot let Roe and Obergerfel go away. We have to support the environment and make sure we can do everything we can to combat climate change.

And we fight on. We are about to have an unpopular President-elect who did not win the popular vote. We have the chance to do what we did in 2006 and 2008, using an unpopular president as our rallying cry together and highlighting . But more importantly than voting against something, we have to remind people, especially people who are disillusioned with the political process, that their voice matters, and give them a champion.

I'm proud of the work I did supporting Hillary Clinton, though it's obvious now that despite winning the popular vote, she was not the right candidate for the time. Today is not the day for finger pointing. There will be plenty of that. We need to move forward.

We have four years to pick our champion. We have Sherrod Brown. We have Elizabeth Warren. And now we have Catherine Cortez Masto and Kamala Harris. Chin up, guys. Again: Today, we cry. Tomorrow, we get to work and, as Angelina always says, #GoWinTheFuckingThing

#SherrodBrown2020
#AlsoElizabethWarren2020
#MaybeEvenKamalaHarris2020ButIDKProbsNot

Boke1879

Just want to say I love each and every one of yall. This is clearly a rough time a lot of emotions are coming out, but after a couple days for the sake of a healthy community we gotta come together.

Healthy debate is fine, but we should definitely be looking to the future instead of re litigating what happened in the past. I've already moved on from Hillary.

pigeon

Banned

On the other hand, what if this is the last thing democrats agree to do to protect constitutional norms in the foolish hope that Republicans will follow suit?

Angry Fork

Ordinary people can do this. They can rail against the terrible result.

The outgoing President cannot during his lame duck period.

Don't be ridiculous.

"Ordinary people can do this" after Obama just told them not to do this, lol.

What should he be doing?

Calling on activists/supporters to mobilize against trumpism, to do all they can (including through undemocratic means) to immobilize and hurt the work of right-wing administrations across the country.

But nah we gotta unite and something hold hands with racists or some shit.

You are basically crazy if you're calling for a coup or secession to avoid fascism.

It's like people have forgotten the fact that there are checks and balances built into the constitution that prevent a dictator. Many checks and balances, including the military itself. I think people just aren't educated in civics cause I've seen people saying Trump is going to do shit he essentially doesn't have the power to do, like void state laws.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's like people have forgotten the fact that there are checks and balances built into the constitution that prevent a dictator. Many checks and balances, including the military itself. I think people just aren't educated in civics cause I've seen people saying Trump is going to do shit he essentially doesn't have the power to do, like void state laws.

Actually he can void state laws, if he can get Congress to pass a law doing it. It's called the supremacy clause. Federal laws trump state laws.

Trump can very easily void state laws, depending on if they're in the scope of what states handle or not.

"Ordinary people can do this" after Obama just told them not to do this, lol.

Calling on activists/supporters to mobilize against trumpism, to do all they can (including through undemocratic means) to immobilize and hurt the work of right-wing administrations across the country.

But nah we gotta unite and something hold hands with racists or some shit.
Seriously stop being nonsensical. If you expect the President to call for civil unrest rather than respecting peaceful transition of power you're being deluded.

Hopefully when he's out of office all bets are off.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Makai has been the most calm poster in this thread since last night.

I'm starting to think he was a Republican plant all this time. :O

Our constitution tried hard to prevent dictatorship, but every Latin American country used our constitution and many of them have fallen to dictatorship.

It was an 18th century document.

sphagnum

Banned

What checks and balances? Congress will bend over backwards for him and SCOTUS will give him total cover.

Fedelias

Just want to say I love each and every one of yall. This is clearly a rough time a lot of emotions are coming out, but after a couple days for the sake of a healthy community we gotta come together.

Healthy debate is fine, but we should definitely be looking to the future instead of re litigating what happened in the past. I've already moved on from Hillary.

I never posted here as actively as some of you guys did but I'll echo the love I have for you all. Been lurking here since the primaries began last year and PoliGaf has taught me so much about politics, the positive sides and the negatives. This was my first election that I could vote in, and I am incredibly proud that I cast my vote for Hillary Clinton.

God damn is it going to be hard to move on from this, from what could have been. But I'm ready to get more involved, I'm ready to step up and fight. I just hope the Democratic party is willing to do so as well.

Tendo

I am a teacher at a school for low income students. Many are minorities. This was the hardest day of my career. It has been hard for me to not burst into tears many times today. It isn't me I am worried about.

benjipwns

Banned
He should probably refuse to leave office. Declare the election null and void. Arrest Trump for treason and as many people as can be proven as voting against America.

But no, typical liberals refusing to stand up to their fascist allies.

Last night this thread was unreadable, but today it's calmed down and been a nice place to vent.

He should probably refuse to leave office. Declare the election null and void. Arrest Trump for treason.

But no, typical liberals refusing to stand up to their fascist allies.

heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom