• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once he's out I hope the gloves come off.
This will not happen. Besides not being Obama's M.O. already, I think he's going to take the tradition to heart. He might lay into Congress, but I think he'll take the high road with Trump.
Benji is almost certainly trolling you. This is his MO.
I'm not seeing avatars at the moment, so it's tough to initially distinguish between benji and fork's posts for authenticity.

Both my parents were born and grew up in Alabama in the 50s and 60s, and I spoke with them at length today. Both seem sort of stoic and reserved about the whole situation. Not at all despairing, my mom told me, "Yep. This is the most America thing that could have happened." then my little sister tweeted me:
ICBDea7.gif

Bonus quote from dad:
"I'm taking a few days off to whoop everyone in North Carolina's ass, then driving down to Florida to whoop everybody's ass down there too. Boy, I'm in an ass-whooping mood."

I think my folks are taking this all in stride because, well, they've seen it all before.

So where do models and polls go from here?

They messed up. They all messed up. Nate was the closest, but even his stuff was off.

This is the second election polls dropped the ball. They were bad in 2014 as well.

Both my parents were born and grew up in Alabama in the 50s and 60s, and I spoke with them at length today. Both seem sort of stoic and reserved about the whole situation. Not at all despairing, my mom told me, "Yep. This is the most America thing that could have happened." then my little sister tweeted me:
ICBDea7.gif

Bonus quote from dad:
"I'm taking a few days off to whoop everyone in North Carolina's ass, then driving down to Florida to whoop everybody's ass down there too. Boy, I'm in an ass-whooping mood."

I think my folks are taking this all in stride because, well, they've seen it all before.

One of my dad's friends earlier in the year compared 2016 to 1968. With Trump elected I think that's more accurate than ever before.

Democrats need young blood.
Sanders is 74.
Warren is 67.

the old farts like Kerry, Gore did nothing

it's high time to whip up young whippersnappers to the helm.

Tarkus

Whew! Megyn is showing some major skin tonight. She usually dresses much more conservatively. ❤️

Also just heard "fuck Donald Trump" over and over on live TV during an interview at the NYC protest.

One of my dad's friends earlier in the year compared 2016 to 1968. With Trump elected I think that's more accurate than ever before.

Our fathers must hang out, mine compared it to Nixon when I talked to him too. He's convinced it's only a matter of time before a Watergate style scandal sinks him.

Trouble

Banned
Sanders is 74.
Warren is 67.

You know who should run the DNC? Ben Jealous. 43 years old, former head of the NAACP and Bernie Bro extraordinaire.

Sanders is 74.
Warren is 67.

Aaron Blake ‏@AaronBlake 10h10 hours ago
Come January, 19 of the 30 youngest senators will be Republicans. Dems will only have 4 of 13 under 50.

The bench is EMPTY

Our father's must hang out, mine compared it to Nixon too when I talked to him too. He's convinced it's only a matter of time before a Watergate style scandal sinks him.

So is Pence Gerald Ford in this scenario?

And after Pence we get a horribly ineffective (but incredibly nice and successful later) president followed by the largest GOP wave in history, followed by a right leaning Democrat, followed by a GOP control again, next to a minority rock star everyone loves and then back to Nixon and the loop starts again?

Aaron Blake ‏@AaronBlake 10h10 hours ago
Come January, 19 of the 30 youngest senators will be Republicans. Dems will only have 4 of 13 under 50.

The bench is EMPTY

Democrats haven't made any major gains in the senate in almost a decade. This is almost certainly why there are no young Dem senators.

People like Cruz and Rubio got in on Republican waves. We have yet to have another Dem wave since 2008.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
These protests give me the first flicker of hope in 24 hours

If we can actually harness anger for once in our fucking lives maybe we can make 2018 a wave

Bowdz

The party really has been decimated. We latched on to Obama's star power and proceeded to lose every single branch of the government up and down the ticket. We need a massive recruitment drive and a huge grassroots movement. If you love your community and want to build up the bench, run for office. If you know someone talented, get them to run for office. We've been hollowed out and it is time to rebuild.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Our fathers must hang out, mine compared it to Nixon too when I talked to him too. He's convinced it's only a matter of time before a Watergate style scandal sinks him.

Sounds like my mother. She's convinced it's coming. Outside of that she took the same line Clinton did.

The party really has been decimated. We latched on to Obama's star power and proceeded to lose every single branch of the government up and down the ticket. We need a massive recruitment drive and a huge grassroots movement. If you love your community and want to build up the bench, run for office. If you know someone talented, get them to run for office. We've been hollowed out and it is time to rebuild.

the stupid thing is there are so many more of us then them. We just hold grudges and don't really understand things, so many voters stayed home.

We can still win presidencies if we get someone appealing to minorities and young people. Had turnout been up just slightly, we'd have won the presidency.

Dems need to work towards 2012 being the norm for Dem turnout.

We need good leadership. People like DWS and Donna are clearly clueless.

imo, Kander can win the presidency in 2020, despite not holding a federal office. It's obvious experience isn't really needed anymore.

He ran an excellent campaign and he seems to have a bright future in this party.

omg I swear if I see another "if you are going to post poltical stuff on facebook please keep it to yourself or unfriend me" on facebook from people that blew my feed up with shit for 8 years I am going to go nuts

They need Reid. Get Dean back. Get Kander in, he ran the best damn campaign of anyone this whole year.

He did, but just throw him into the Presidency? You think people would really fall for the outsider thing again when they gots their Trump?

We're gonna need someone with decent experience... but not too much, who is charismatic and can go toe to toe with Trump and also be pretty squeeky clean.

Hindl

To be fair, the Republican bench is empty.

They don't have to worry about their bench for 8 years though

He did, but just throw him into the Presidency? You think people would really fall for the outsider thing again when they gots their Trump?

We're gonna need someone with decent experience... but not too much, who is charismatic and can go toe to toe with Trump and also be pretty squeeky clean.

Is Al Franken charismatic or is he too snarky?

We don't need experience. Experience can be overcome with enthusiasm and charisma.

Experience leads to Hillary, where 30 years of working towards progress is twisted into a bad thing.

Since Trump is going to trial on the 28th, will there won't be a time where there isn't a scandal? If groups dug up stuff during Obama's administration; shit is going to be pretty nasty during Trump's.

gaugebozo

We don't need experience. Experience can be overcome with enthusiasm and charisma.

Experience leads to Hillary, where 30 years of working towards progress is twisted into a bad thing.
This is so bananas. Who would have thought the bulk of the county would be cool with running someone incompetent?

I agree.

So I'm just going to come out and say this: I spent years arguing that we need to accept the rural white voter.

After 2004 I realized that America was a much more divided country than I thought it was, and I needed to try harder to understand the people who didn't live in California. I was surrounded by smug liberals who said that flyover states were full of stupid people.

I made these arguments! I said we needed to understand them and their desires! I advocated for dropping gun control for a long time. For this entire year I've been saying it's very important for the Democrats to rebuild rural white communities when they get into power, even though they are full of racists. I felt strongly that we needed to be more accepting and try to build community with the people of Ohio and Indiana and Nebraska.

I was wrong. This is 2016. I understand the rural white voter and their desires now. They want me to go away, and they voted for it. They do not want to live in peace.

I am not smug when I consider the life or opinions of a rural white voter. I am terrified. They are members of a proud old American tradition that allows people of color to be lynched for being uppity, then elects the lyncher to public office. They are the original sin of America.

You might have the privilege of saying that we need to stop condescending to them about how oppressing people of color is bad and learn to accept them.

I don't.
So you tried....then you realized you were wrong? No, you didn't do shit and are justifying it by playing yourself this entire election. As most of the stalwarts in these OTs have been doing for the past year, disregarding and belittling nearly every potential voter. You can be in control of all the facts you want, but yet again you've failed to start on any path forward. Continue being the limousine liberal and dooming vast swaths of the democratic party to irrelevancy because you failed a couple of times during your youth.

This is so bananas. Who would have thought the bulk of the county would be cool with running someone incompetent?

I agree.

Compared to other presidents, Obama was elected with a relatively light amount of experience.

And obviously Trump

We're in an era where experience is twisted into a bad thing. It makes you "establishment" and ingrained in the political machine. Kander is charismatic. Appeals to rural whites. Appeals to minorities. If liberals can swallow their pride on guns for a bit, Kander can go places

Is Al Franken charismatic or is he too snarky?

I would like Franken.

I feel like this thread is over estimating no experience here... Just like a lot of things. I don't think people will fall for that again especially if Trump fucks up a lot of stuff.

This shit shifts back and forth now and it shifts back hard... I would bet that people are wanting experience going into 2020... Maybe not a ton but they will want someone who had had a Federal office.

benjipwns

Banned
Regarding ages, Franken will be 69 in 2020.
Compared to other presidents, Obama was elected with a relatively light amount of experience.

And obviously Trump

We're in an era where experience is twisted into a bad thing. It makes you "establishment" and ingrained in the political machine.
W. Bush had spent five years in the fifth most powerful position in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom