• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is literally a 0% chance Dems elect any "establishment" candidate in 2020. That doesn't necessarily equal experience but I can't imagine there being too many experienced Dems in Sanders-esque position in regards to establishmentness.

Makai

He did, but just throw him into the Presidency? You think people would really fall for the outsider thing again when they gots their Trump?

We're gonna need someone with decent experience... but not too much, who is charismatic and can go toe to toe with Trump and also be pretty squeeky clean.
Howard Stern

Bill
Obama

Hillary
Kerry
Gore

There's a pretty big divide in charisma from our winners and losers. And yes, I know Hillary and Gore would've won it our system of government was not based on Madison's dumb fantasies.

Blader

imo, Kander can win the presidency in 2020, despite not holding a federal office. It's obvious experience isn't really needed anymore.

He ran an excellent campaign and he seems to have a bright future in this party.

If Kander had won his race, definitely. Right now I feel it's way too easy to define Kander as a loser and just have that label stick the whole time.

prez_cv1_1_25_var.jpg

If this was an anti-establishment election like so many of you think, why did Ron Johnson win? Roy Blunt? Pat Toomey? Richard Burr?

All clearly establishment candidates. The voters that elected Trump dont care.

Bowdz

We need a deeper bench across the country though. Our majority comes from the coasts and (at least formally) the rust belt and almost entirely from the major population centers. There needs to be a grassroots swell of support in rural communities. Where are the Bill Clinton like figures in Kansas or Nebraska able to relate to their communities while still be democrats? Where are the up and comers in House races, or AG positions in states, or local mayors in Ohio or Michigan or Wisconsin? How many times in this thread have we heard "Yeah, the Democratic party is a mess in my state"? The Obama coalition is certainly the answer on the national level and we as a party should not shy away from that, but we need to accept that our message and our messengers just aren't connecting locally like they should.

My current state of New Mexico is a perfect example. There is absolutely no reason why a deep blue state with a population that is 40% latino should have a Republican governor and yet here we are. Our local democratic party was asleep at the wheel post 2008. I am going to do everything I can to make sure we take the statehouse in 2018, not just to enact better policies, but to rebuild our bench.

If this was an anti-establishment election like so many of you think, why did Ron Johnson win? Roy Blunt? Pat Toomey? Richard Burr?

The reason Kander came so close is because he was able to be the anti-establishment candidate. Considering how badly Hillary got destroyed here it should not have even been close. Blunt won because he's GOP above anything else.

benjipwns

Banned
Funnily enough, the GOP candidate with the third most years of his own TV show under his belt were John Kasich. (Mike Huckabee's show on Fox News lasted a few months longer than Kasich's.)

I don't know man -

1. Cowboys
2. Texans
3. Longhorns
3. Spurs
4. Mavericks
5. Astros
6. Rangers
7. Rockets
25th?

We need a deeper bench across the country though. Our majority comes from the coasts and (at least formally) the rust belt and almost entirely from the major population centers. There needs to be a grassroots swell of support in rural communities. Where are the Bill Clinton like figures in Kansas or Nebraska able to relate to their communities while still be democrats? Where are the up and comers in House races, or AG positions in states, or local mayors in Ohio or Michigan or Wisconsin? How many times in this thread have we heard "Yeah, the Democratic party is a mess in my state"? The Obama coalition is certainly the answer on the national level and we as a party should not shy away from that, but we need to accept that our message and our messengers just aren't connecting locally like they should.

My current state of New Mexico is a perfect example. There is absolutely no reason why a deep blue state with a population that is 40% latino should have a Republican governor and yet here we are. Our local democratic party was asleep at the wheel post 2008. I am going to do everything I can to make sure we take the statehouse in 2018, not just to enact better policies, but to rebuild our bench.
Minnesota and Wisconsin used to be that, but now even stalwart Minnesota is all red in the rural places and only held strong because of the cities.

ZeroRay

I think it's premature to call for a potential 2020 candidate right now without knowing the circumstances of the times.

As far as Kander goes, him, John Bel Edwards and the Montana govs are the kinds of dems that can make inroads in more rural areas. As far as what needs to be sacrificed nationally, I think gun control - or at least the language for it - needs to be sacrificed to the altar in order to flip at least a certain percentage of those voters for presidential elections.

Now that I think about it, the dems have never been the same since they lost the politically savvy southerners of the party. :p

kess

One of my dad's friends earlier in the year compared 2016 to 1968. With Trump elected I think that's more accurate than ever before.

That would assume the Trump Administration has a plan to bring in a large bloc of voters, such as the Southern Strategy. The electorate is incredibly partisan and the popular vote actually favored the opponent, and his transition appointments don't appear to tacking to the center. The next four years look like they are going to be a smash and grab operation.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I hope you have tenure.

I'm a physician. I will be in the top 10% percent when I graduate from residency. I already signed on with a hospital system that has an incredible retirement package. I'll be cool.

But this is literally what the American people want. So I hope they get it. The Republican Party will have no excuses when the inevitable happens considering they control absolutely everything right now.

Grief.exe

Two huge separations at play.

The less people they have per square mile, the higher propensity people have towards swinging red.
Education.

People in deep red areas have a propensity to hate taxation, as a result, their schools are poorly funded since they require local taxes to be raised. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy that these areas will continue to go deeper and deeper red. While the educated population and diversity clusters in the cities.

Crocodile

CNN is a joke

MSNBC lost me too last night with Chris fucking Matthews

I should have stayed on PBS

Did he say something to the effect of "Oh Trump is so smart with his 3 plank platform of illegal immigration, jobs, and no stupid wars"? Every time he says that shit I want to punch him in the face through my TV.

The reason Kander came so close is because he was able to be the anti-establishment candidate. Considering how badly Hillary got destroyed here it should not have even been close. Blunt won because he's GOP above anything else.

I understand that. I just don't think "anti establishment" is what we need to look for primarily.

This election was close. 110k votes go the other way in MI, WI, and PA and Hillary is president elect. And she had a very good margin in states like Texas, Georgia, and Arizona - all better than in 2008.

This is going to be a rough four years, but there is reason to be optimistic.

I think it's premature to call for a potential 2020 candidate right now without knowing the circumstances of the times.

As far as Kander goes, him, John Bel Edwards and the Montana govs are the kinds of dems that can make inroads in more rural areas. As far as what needs to be sacrificed nationally, I think gun control - or at least the language for it - needs to be sacrificed to the altar in order to flip at least a certain percentage of those voters for presidential elections.

Now that I think about it, the dems have never been the same since they lost the politically savvy southerners of the party. :p

We're losing the gun argument, badly. It also seems like an "easy" policy to modify, since a huge number of Democrats are gun owners.

ZeroRay

It's encouraging to see the protesting right now.

The pessimist in me is saying that they're protesting now, but it will soon grow into complacency and then nothing. Opposed to the Tea Party movement that actually got people to vote in the midterms.

Bowdz

I think a lot of people thought we could rise above politics when we won in 2008. We can't. We need to always remember: all politics is local, listen to grassroots, stand for something, be aspirational.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, this. Every map looks hyper-polarized in the states I looked at. You don't need light blue or light red much to describe percentages. It's giant swings one way or another.
I was noticing a good amount of the midwest states have counties that were like 55-60 Bush in 2004 that were like 70-75 Trump, which is kinda crazy considering these were already superwhite R counties.

Means white "Democrats" (Reagan/Perot Democrats I assume) were voting Trump.

Zackat

someone with a voice will come forward in the next 4 years. it's the only chance we got.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well got inspired since California is fighting back and by this thread I'm going help keep my city/county blue even though I'm in CA
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1311306

And crossposting but I'm mobilizing right now and telling my friends in TX,PA, FL to participate and volunteer with their local Dems. All so we can have fighting chance in 2018. So far my friends in TX and FL have responded and looks like they're gonna help out with their local Dems.

pigeon

Banned
I am not smug when I consider the life or opinions of a rural white voter. I am terrified. They are members of a proud old American tradition that allows people of color to be lynched for being uppity, then elects the lyncher to public office. They are the original sin of America.

Continue being the limousine liberal

Sums it up!

It was totally unreasonable and smug of me to expect white Americans to stand up for my right not to be terrorized and oppressed.

Lesson learned.

So you tried....then you realized you were wrong? No, you didn't do shit and are justifying it by playing yourself this entire election. As most of the stalwarts in these OTs have been doing for the past year, disregarding and belittling nearly every potential voter. You can be in control of all the facts you want, but yet again you've failed to start on any path forward. Continue being the limousine liberal and dooming vast swaths of the democratic party to irrelevancy because you failed a couple of times during your youth.
Because vast swathes of the electorate are horrible people. That either overtly or covertly want to fuck over minorities. And they may have it bad too. They may have seen their town decimated because coal is dead and American cars suck. What of it? It doesn't make their bigotry okay. And you're not going to get them on board unless you embrace their bigotry.

Why are people so afraid to say this, are you all running in 2020?

Boke1879

It's encouraging to see the protesting right now.

The pessimist in me is saying that they're protesting now, but it will soon grow into complacency and then nothing. Opposed to the Tea Party movement that actually got people to vote in the midterms.

Yea. They protest tomorrow and maybe Friday, but soon it'll dissipate. I do see his inauguration drawing the attention of protesters, but after that there is only so much marching and shouting will do.

If you're dems you need to leverage some of of this quickly. You need to keep talking to young people and getting them registered while building back up the Obama coalition.

Because vast swathes of the electorate are horrible people. Why are people so afraid to say this, are you all running in 2020?

This.

And I will be there time and again to remind people just what they voted for if the racism, sexism and xenophobia come to pass. That they were okay with this because they wanted a guy who was tough and would bring em jobs... that will be automated anyways.

benjipwns

Banned
To pick a random one that caught my eye, Marion County, Illinois. 93% white. 1% Hispanic.

2000: 49.5% Bush - 48.4% Gore
2004: 54.7% Bush - 44.7% Kerry
2008: 49.9% McCain - 47.9% Obama
2012: 58.5% Romney - 39.3% Obama
2016: 70.3% Trump - 25.5% Clinton

Because people always think it's someone else's Senator/Congressman who's the problem, this isn't new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom