• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, I'm still so angry

This was my first presidential election. Hillary Clinton was my President, like she was all of yours. She was someone I genuinely wanted, agreed with and felt represented by on a level that I didn't quite feel with Obama.

She had worked so hard for 30 years, dealing with everything the world could throw at her and keeping her head high.

She was going to be the first woman president.

And the fucking FBI—the institution meant to protect us—knocks her down just enough to stop her and give it to him.

This is the first time I've ever hated my country. It's privileged and sheltered of me that this is the first time, I know, but it's a feeling I'm never gonna forget.

No, he absolutely did not. Obama did that.

Bernie wanted to treat race issues like it was the 1950s.

I'm REALLY not down with this revisionist history that Bernie wasn't a shitty candidate in his own right, surrounded by EVEN SHITTIER people, who got trounced by both Hillary AND Trump.

The mental calculus is that minorities would've sucked it up and voted for Sanders. I tend to agree, because as I've said minorities have rarely had a candidate that actually addressed their specific issues and always have to vote for the "lesser evil".

The question is, why could they not count on the same vice-versa.

Crocodile

Bernie got labeled as a single issue candidate by the DNC establishment in their followers. But I for one watch many of his stump speeches, and at everyone, he hit on many different issues that are extremely relevant to the social justice movement.

Primaries are won by the establishment because they are controlled by the establishment, and the fact that he got 47% of the vote is great considering that. I also feel that there are many more Bernie people than we know, they just couldn't vote in the closed or semi closed primaries. Not everyone knows the system and knows they have to be registered as a certain party, or that they have to do it before a certain date.

He also didn't do as well in the south because the south is more conservative.

Oh look more revisionist history bullshit <3

Relitigating the primaries is going to be the among the worst parts of the self-reflection process

Well to be fair, Wall St did fuck everyone then got away with it, pissing off many people. So if Trump was able to capture that sentiment, he did good for himself. And the DNC not recognizing that is part of the reason why we are where we are today.

Targeted populist and/or social messages where relevant with a charismatic overall candidate probably would have gone very differently for the DNC.

Clinton ran on ending Citizens United

Trump bragged about not paying taxes...

That's not what he connected with...

I was not highlighting OWS as a success story.

royalan

The mental calculus is that minorities would've sucked it up and voted for Sanders. I tend to agree, because as I've said minorities have rarely had a candidate that actually addressed their specific issues and always have to vote for the "lesser evil".

The question is, why could they not count on the same vice-versa.

Because compromising at the voting booth is something apparently only minorities have experience with.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The things I'd watch for early 2020 posturing: Silicone Valley+Seattle vs New England. That's where the major donors are, and each side will have their man or woman. With the DNC playing catch up, although maybe if Obama gets involved we can have more confidence in them.

SV/Seattle? Booker. NE? Warren obviously. Wild card could be Newsom. I'm not enthused about any of them, but that's where the money will start talking. Those are the people who receive late night calls from donors complaining about the recent loss and saying "you know who could do this? You."

Booker is a teerrrible idea. Though Silicon Valley / Seattle going for Booker because he's a superficial Obama clone is the most Silicon Valley / tech industry thing to do ever, admittedly.

People keep trying it with this excuse.

The South is NOT more conservative than the midwest states that Bernie won.

Minorities as a block weren't feeling the bern.

Then I would say he lost the south because of the DNC infrastructure down there and that Hillary has long roots there. Also helped that Hillary had Obama's backing do to him basically promising it in 2008.

The things I'd watch for early 2020 posturing: Silicone Valley+Seattle vs New England. That's where the major donors are, and each side will have their man or woman. With the DNC playing catch up, although maybe if Obama gets involved we can have more confidence in them.

SV/Seattle? Booker. NE? Warren obviously. Wild card could be Newsom. I'm not enthused about any of them, but that's where the money will start talking. Those are the people who receive late night calls from donors complaining about the recent loss and saying "you know who could do this? You."

SHER

ROD

BROWN

say it again with me

SHER

ROD

BROWN

Trouble

Banned
They were on lock, this was the year of turning Utah and Texas blue.

VAATpLm.gif

He isn't what these people wanted. Good grief.
She isn't either. They just lose in different way. These people want MAGA. The want a wall. They want a Muslim ban.

They don't care about your pot or your Glass Steagall or Citizens United.

This is just what you want.

sphagnum

Banned
Then I would say he lost the south because of the DNC infrastructure down there and that Hillary has long roots there. Also helped that Hillary had Obama's backing do to him basically promising it in 2008.

He lost the south because it's full of black people and they preferred Hillary.

But I agree with MHWilliams. It's a sad but true statement.

Paches

God, I'm still so angry

This was my first presidential election. Hillary Clinton was my President, like she was all of yours. She was someone I genuinely wanted, agreed with and felt represented by on a level that I didn't quite feel with Obama.

She had worked so hard for 30 years, dealing with everything the world could throw at her and keeping her head high.

She was going to be the first woman president.

And the fucking FBI—the institution meant to protect us—knocks her down just enough to stop her and give it to him.

This is the first time I've ever hated my country. It's privileged and sheltered of me that this is the first time, I know, but it's a feeling I'm never gonna forget.

Obama 08 was my first presidential vote cast. It was one of the greatest feelings I have ever had on election night knowing I was a part of history. The exact opposite feeling happened last night. I am sorry you had to experience the latter first.

dakini

Today was bad guys. I got two hours of sleep. I felt miserable all day. I couldn't eat anything. It feels like someone died.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because compromising at the voting booth is something apparently only minorities have experience with.

Because white liberals don't feel under threat

This is what I realized today, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner

Minorities turn out because they actually to have to live in fear because America loves nothing more than to fuck them over

Conservative whites turn out because they're tuned into a rabid incoherent echo chamber of rage and fear that tells them the world is actively out to destroy them

White liberals don't turn out because hey most of the time we're fucking fine

You want the democratic wave? Make the well off white kids afraid for the first time in their goddamn lives

Dems won't abandon minorities. Hillary won the popular vote and barely lost as the most disliked candidate in history. No need to go back to the drawing board, just get a better candidate next time. They need a candidate who can generate enthusiasm and doesn't scare the shit out of uneducated white idiots, and they will be fine.

I have to say, I really regret being so down on Bernie. I was so wrong about him. He could have beat Trump at his own game with white folks, and Obama/Clinton could have gotten minorities behind him. Alas.
FUCK THIS. Fuck everything about this. Stop treating as pawns or things, without or own thoughts or feelings. We've told you how we feel about the man. You just ain't listening. And that's why Sanders would have done jack shit. Our votes aren't things that you're just magically entitled to, and having Clinton or Obama rallying wouldn't change that. We're our own persons, with our own agencies, thoughts, and feelings. If you refuse to accept that, and think that you're just entitled to our votes no matter who you nominate, no matter whether they throw us under the bus or no, you've got another thing coming and we'll just repeat the mistakes we made this year.

Like seriously... how can you say that Dems won't abandon minorities, then type that garbage like our votes our just magical play-things, that you get by just having Clinton or Trump yelling at us instead of taking the time of actually talk to us and ask us what we want and need? How can you just take us for granted and act like our votes will just magically appear, after what just happened?

You also saw what happened in the primaries. Minorities said they didn't want Sanders. But nooooooo, they just don't know they want. Noooooo, we're just confused and all would be nice and rosy if more people tell us how great our lord and savior Bernie Sanders is, cause we'll just magically vote for any D candidate or will if Obama or whoever tells us to.

Tell me... if it were that easy WHY THE FUCK DID CLINTON LOSE? She had people like Obama and Michelle and Bill and Sanders campaigning for her all over the place! Yet she still lost, and she lost huge! It clearly ain't that easy to win our votes, yet you say that garbage, like we're just play things you don't have to think about. After what happened for Clinton, how can you say that? How can you take those votes for granted and act like they're guaranteed to show up if you get the right people to bat for you, when that didn't get the people to show up this time.

I understand nothing about this. And I have no desire to. Just... get out of here with this. Please, get out of here unless you want to have an actual conversation instead of just treating us like play things that don't understand the greatness of Bernie Fucking Sanders, and will become enlightened if we have our other lord and savior Obama talk to us enough, instead of actually listening to us about the complaints we have about the man and why we might not be down with that and why we didn't vote for him in the primary. Nope, just not enlightened enough and need to hear Obama and Michelle talk some more.

Fuck actually talking to us though, we just don't know what we're talking about and preached at instead. This is LITERALLY abandoning us! This is literally telling us our feelings and concerns don't matter, and that we just need to stop being uppity and get in line! That you don't get that or don't want to is just wow, just wow.

Some allies we have, if that's what counts as being an ally...

No. Just no.

EDIT: Sorry for getting emotional. It just strikes me as ironic. Clinton is getting SO MUCH criticism for acting all smug right now, and acting like she was "entitled" to people's votes and like it was just a coronation or whatever. And there may be a nugget of truth in there! I'm willing to concede that she took a lot for granted. But then to make the SAME EXACT MISTAKE that you're criticizing Clinton for, taking certain votes for granted and acting like she'd get them without doing the work to make sure, and then acting like Bernie Fucking Sanders could do the EXACT SAME THING that you're criticizing Clinton for, but it would just magically work out for HIM, and he's get our votes without having to worry about it by just having a D next to his name and having Michelle and Barack speak to us some, while criticizing Clinton for doing just that to her downfall, is just insane to me. Insane...

He also didn't do as well in the south because the south is more conservative.

Bernie didn't even compete in Virginia, a state so conservative that it has a Dem Governor, two Dem Senators, and has voted for the Democrat in three straight Presidential elections (even in the face of the White Trump wave). He fled Virginia because the state is 20% African American (close to 50% of Dem primary voters), because his message did not resonate with minorities, period.

I saw a lady get robbed today, in front of her family, in front of a small crowd, in front of a store. I dunno, I think just seeing that an a lot of the negativity today just really got to me.

Being gay and thinking about how I wanted to be more out, and now thinking about how I should probably just stay in the closet, isn't helping anything either.

My state has no lgbt protections.

It might be wrong but it almost feels worse that he hasn't even taken office yet. If its happening I wish it would happen already so we could start running down the clock. For four fucking years.

mackaveli

This is what I realized today, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it sooner

Minorities turn out because they actually to have to live in fear because America loves nothing more than to fuck them over

Conservative whites turn out because they're tuned into a rabid incoherent echo chamber of rage and fear that tells them the world is actively out to destroy them

You want the democratic wave? Make the well off white kids afraid for the first time in their goddamn lives

Agreed. Minorities are always counted on for this "coalition" to win but when the minorities needed everyone to stick up for them and vote they didn't turn out. There could be multiple reasons etc not to vote but when they needed someone to had their back. No one came through for them.

I feel for them and come next election they will again be counted on to form this "coalition" and courted. And they probably show up regardless since they do feel the "fear".

Booker is a teerrrible idea. Though Silicon Valley / Seattle going for Booker because he's a superficial Obama clone is the most Silicon Valley / tech industry thing to do ever, admittedly.
I agree 100%. He's made the inroads already though. Warren of course is clear NE standard bearer. That's a lot of money between the two. I don't think Newsom will run but he'd hurt Booker.

I think we're going to see those three traveling the country, visiting black churches, etc. They're like the Baratheon brothers in Game Of Thrones. Morph them into one candidate and you get something that works (Booker's race, Warren's liberal cred, Newsom's charisma). Seperately...nah.

Here's to hoping someone else emerges...

mackaveli

It might be wrong but it almost feels worse that he hasn't even taken office yet. If its happening I wish it would happen already so we could start running down the clock. For four fucking years.

Yeah people will probably forget in a week (hopefully not and peaceful protests continue until January 20th) and then it will again hit reality once he is sworn in and then that is when the fireworks will actually happen.

He hasn't stepped foot in office yet and already people are pissed. I can only imagine what the next four years will be like.

Either afraid or Inspired by a charismatic more likely male candidate. There's no middle ground. You are too right on this.

He isn't what these people wanted. Good grief.
She isn't either. They just lose in different way. These people want MAGA. The want a wall. They want a Muslim ban.

They don't care about your pot or your Glass Steagall or Citizens United.

This is just what you want.

No, don't spread this lie. This isn't a an ALT right statement. Neither candidate got more votes then Romney in 2012. What happened is they saw the map and saw how Reagan won and duplicated it, they played off fears in the rust belt and basically sold them on jobs jobs jobs. Hillary ignored a bunch of those states, combined with democrats just not giving a shit.

Here we are.

Agreed. Minorities are always counted on for this "coalition" to win but when the minorities needed everyone to stick up for them and vote they didn't turn out. There could be multiple reasons etc not to vote but when they needed someone to had their back. No one came through for them.

I feel for them and come next election they will again be counted on to form this "coalition" and courted. And they probably show up regardless since they do feel the "fear".

I said this elsewhere and I'll say it here.

One of the first things people looked at was Trump getting slightly better % numbers in minority votes than previous candidates (not more numbers just a higher percentage) and said what went wrong, how could this happen....

We're talking like what literally 1% in black folk from 7 to 8% and 2% in Hispanic folk from 27 to 29%.

These groups still outright rejected Trump in massive numbers, in election terms if everyone voted on the same numbers it would be a massacre in favour of Clinton...

But guess what white folk as they have since the 1960s voted Republican....

No one is asking what happened there (well other than to pretend it was realyl about economic anxeity)

White Liberals expect minorities to save their fucking asses and when it doesn't work it out, to they get self-reflective and look to their own people's failings, fuck no, they look at minority of the minority who voted with the majority of walk folk and point fingers...

That's fucking white privilege right there, one group can vote in majority for the white nationalist and get sympathy but minorities who did in fact break for Clinton in still massacre levels (percentage wise) get criticism because their entire demographic didn't vote Clinton...

I still can't believe this is actually happening

a mutual friend just shared some bullshit article with the caption ""We’re for economic prosperity. Individual responsibility. Fiscal responsibility. Less government. More freedom. We’re sick of the liberal do-gooders shoving their BS agenda down our throats and calling us bigots when we reject their horrid ideas. We’re sick of them scoffing at the principles of liberty.""

my hands are shaking in anger right now

FUCK THIS. Fuck everything about this. Stop treating as pawns or things, without or own thoughts or feelings. We've told you how we feel about the man. You just ain't listening. And that's why Sanders would have done jack shit. Our votes aren't things that you're just magically entitled to, and having Clinton or Obama rallying wouldn't change that. We're our own persons, with our own agencies, thoughts, and feelings. If you refuse to accept that, and think that you're just entitled to our votes no matter who you nominate, no matter whether they throw us under the bus or no, you've got another thing coming and we'll just repeat the mistakes we made this year.

Like seriously... how can you say that Dems won't abandon minorities, then type that garbage like our votes our just magical play-things, that you get by just having Clinton or Trump yelling at us instead of taking the time of actually talk to us and ask us what we want and need? How can you just take us for granted and act like our votes will just magically appear, after what just happened?

You also saw what happened in the primaries. Minorities said they didn't want Sanders. But nooooooo, they just don't know they want. Noooooo, we're just confused and all would be nice and rosy if more people tell us how great our lord and savior Bernie Sanders is, cause we'll just magically vote for any D candidate or will if Obama or whoever tells us to.

Tell me... if it were that easy WHY THE FUCK DID CLINTON LOSE? She had people like Obama and Michelle and Bill and Sanders campaigning for her all over the place! Yet she still lost, and she lost huge! It clearly ain't that easy to win our votes, yet you say that garbage, like we're just play things you don't have to think about. After what happened for Clinton, how can you say that? How can you take those votes for granted and act like they're guaranteed to show up if you get the right people to bat for you, when that didn't get the people to show up this time.

I understand nothing about this. And I have no desire to. Just... get out of here with this. Please, get out of here unless you want to have an actual conversation instead of just treating us like play things that don't understand the greatness of Bernie Fucking Sanders, and will become enlightened if we have our other lord and savior Obama talk to us enough, instead of actually listening to us about the complaints we have about the man and why we might not be down with that and why we didn't vote for him in the primary. Nope, just not enlightened enough and need to hear Obama and Michelle talk some more.

Fuck actually talking to us though, we just don't know what we're talking about and preached at instead. This is LITERALLY abandoning us! This is literally telling us our feelings and concerns don't matter, and that we just need to stop being uppity and get in line! That you don't get that or don't want to is just wow, just wow.

Some allies we have, if that's what counts as being an ally...

No. Just no.

Look. I know shit is real heated right now and I don't think bringing Bernie back up helps things either. But maybe you could answer this. If he was the nominee would you have voted for him? You personally here. I don't know or think the minority vote would turn out for him but I'm curious about your take on it.

mackaveli

I said this elsewhere and I'll say it here.

One of the first things people looked at was Trump getting slightly better % numbers in minority votes than previous candidates (not more numbers just a higher percentage) and said what went wrong, how could this happen....

We're talking like what literally 1% in black folk from 7 to 8% and 2% in Hispanic folk from 27 to 29%.

These groups still outright rejected Trump in massive numbers, in election terms if everyone voted on the same numbers it would be a massacre in favour of Clinton...

But guess what white folk as they have since the 1960s voted Republican....

No one is asking what happened there (well other than to pretend it was realyl about economic anxeity)

White Liberals expect minorities to save their fucking asses and when it doesn't work it out, to they get self-reflective and look to their own people's failings, fuck no, they look at minority of the minority who voted with the majority of walk folk and point fingers...

That's fucking white privilege right there, one group can vote in majority for the white nationalist and get sympathy but minorities who did in fact break for Clinton in still massacre levels (percentage wise) get criticism because their entire demographic didn't vote Clinton...

Exactly. They were saying that Clinton wasn't hitting her numbers in the polls and that's why she lost. Which I'm pretty sure is the white vote.

I wonder all the people who weren't going to vote Clinton and vote third party I wonder if they were white/black/hispanic/asian/other. it would be interesting to know.

Also I don't know why people are saying Sanders would have easily beat Trump cause he was up 15% in one poll 12 months ago or whenever. Wasn't Clinton easily beating Trump 3 weeks ago by 8-10 points and then the FBI came down. You can say well the polls are wrong. Well if the polls are wrong for Clinton they I assume they are also wrong for Sanders so the 15% is moot.

Look. I know shit is real heated right now and I don't think bringing Bernie back up helps things either. But maybe you could answer this. If he was the nominee would you have voted for him? You personally here. I don't know or think the minority vote would turn out for him but I'm curious about your take on it.
I can't honestly answer that. I have no idea what I would have done. I don't exist in that timeline, and it would depend on a lot of stuff like how we ran his campaign if he won the primary and what his tone about my black brothers and sisters turned out to me and if he kept trying to throw entire minority-dominated parts of the country under the bus because "they're too conservative" while praising states like fucking Idaho Montana and North Dakota and the like for being part of his "wave of comeback momentum" while not calling them "too conservative" at all for some strange reason. I wonder what the difference between them was... Sure as fuck wasn't "conservatism"... If he completely abandoned that and realized his mistakes, I probably would have. If he didn't... I have no clue. I honestly can't say because he would still be better than Trump but at the same time I'm not sure I'd be able to hold my nose and be able to vote for someone who claims to care while his actions tell a very different story. I just don't know.

And my answer is clouded by the fact that I know how the election we did get turned out, and how plenty of so called "allies" are hiding behind the fact that Clinton wasn't "inspiring" enough or too "flawed" for them to be bothered to show up to vote to protect our rights. If they get that out, why the fuck can't I get it and do the same thing? Why is it only my white heteronormative "allies" that get to play that card? Knowing what I know now, and how we lost this election and the way "allies" are doing their best to justify their not showing up is just clouding my judgment far too much for me to honestly say how I would vote. It's just impossible for me to answer, and it's really impossible to explain the extent of the frustration I feel at this unless your a minority as well and have inherently felt it. It's either something you have, or you don't, something you feel or you don't.

I'm sorry if that answer is unsatisfactory. It doesn't satisfy me myself either and I desperately wish I had something more to give you, but I don't and don't know if I ever will at this point.

Sweet jesus that hate crime thread is a bloodbath of bannings. Though I guess if such persons are more likely to show themselves in daily life it makes sense they'd be more inclined to now online as well.

GAF for sanctuary forum! As in, a sanctuary from obnoxious racists. That shouldn't be particularly controversial?

Makai

My personal delusion is that in every trade deal Trump puts a nuclear strike on the table and makes them a deal they can't refuse. That's how he gets Mexico to pay for the wall.

benjipwns

Banned
I still can't believe this is actually happening

a mutual friend just shared some bullshit article with the caption ""We’re for economic prosperity. Individual responsibility. Fiscal responsibility. Less government. More freedom. We’re sick of the liberal do-gooders shoving their BS agenda down our throats and calling us bigots when we reject their horrid ideas. We’re sick of them scoffing at the principles of liberty.""

my hands are shaking in anger right now
FOUND IT: http://www.chicksontheright.com/open-letter-whiny-safe-space-liberals-crying-racist-sexist-country/

thanks i love garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom