• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sanders statement makes me even angrier than before. Bernie can never just admit he tapped into racism.

Bernie is kind of dumb as fuck and thinks that the GOP would get 5-10% of the vote without the media.

Obama believes too much in the goodness of people, Bernie believes that everyone has the same views as him and therefore must vote mostly on economic or are tricked.

Outside of this thread, I have tuned out of politics. No TV, Internet or whatever. I haven't seen anything related to this election since just before the states officially flipped. I don't see myself going back any time soon. I am not watching the inauguration (have zero interest in the optics of Obama handing the keys over to Mr. Birther Movement) and I won't watch a single press conference or SotU. I am done until we can do something about it in 2018.

Am I alone?

Bernie is kind of dumb as fuck and thinks that the GOP would get 5-10% of the vote without the media.

Obama believes too much in the goodness of people, Bernie believes that everyone has the same views as him and therefore must vote mostly on economic or are tricked.

And hillary thought it was her turn.

Trump....Trump didn't really think and spewed random shit that was various degrees of offensive. And he got elected.

Why did she oppose the TPP if it was the party of reason?
She shouldn't have. I think it was dumb to deny she supports free trade.

This populist protectionist routine people are proposing isn't going to work. Because the Trumps do it better with a heavy dose of yummy nationalism, racism and xenophobia to go with it.

Trade liberalisation hurts selected areas while benefitting the whole. Democrats should do something about those impacted better. That doesn't mean 30% tariffs.

Outside of this thread, I have tuned out of politics. No TV, Internet or whatever. I haven't seen anything related to this election since just before the states officially flipped. I don't see myself going back any time soon. I am not watching the inauguration (have zero interest in the optics of Obama handing the keys over to Mr. Birther Movement) and I won't watch a single press conference or SotU. I am done until we can do something about it in 2018.

Am I alone?

I actually get anxiety watching that guy speak so nope I'm with you.

I used a facebook plugin to remove trending stories too.

benjipwns

Banned

Am I alone?
Why would you watch any of that silliness in the first place?

Am I alone?

I'm going to a climate change meeting on Saturday and writing a new article right now.

We need to figure out a new gameplan. Our gameplan has been to try to make Republicans care about this, but the GOP is so radicalized right now that it's impossible to break through. If we have 30 governor mansions in 2019, things might get brighter.

Kevitivity

Am I alone?

Politics is an ugly, dirty business. You win some and you lose some. Don't be disheartened.

This was my first vote, and the first I possibly could, coming into age. I'll keep doing it if it fucking kills me, I won't take this sitting down. It's the least you can do.

I don't think economic populism is the answer to the vote numbers but there are issues that need to be adopted from Sanders and Warren that are good in themselves without needing to believe it'll do everything to flip rust belt states. Democrats haven't dealt properly with the core of the economics problems, and that is the massive fraud and destruction of wealth by the large financial institutions, the officers getting away with it relatively freely. Whether the minimum wage is at 12 or 15 is inconsequential compared to this.

The "white people" hand wringing seems odd too when the simplest explanation is that Hillary had too much baggage. I'm not saying Bernie would have won either. Noting white people are racist isn't a particularly interesting observation. Obama seemed to be pretty well positioned to outperform the "racist vote" however you define it comfortably, and he was smart enough to manage his email a bit better. Need a better candidate, Cuban 2020.

Agreed, but the truly simplest explanation is that key democratic blocks didn't turn out. Even voter suppression efforts aren't enough to wipe out 6 million votes. Democrats just stayed home, because that's what they do.

We can't talk about turnout until California's votes are counted, mmkay.

The biggest problem is that liberal whites fled from the Midwest to California because Scott Walker and the gang destroyed their states and California is pretty fucking nice.

benjipwns

Banned
I feel like we should stop and reflect for a moment.

Remember that time we kicked off this campaign season by having Jeb! try to figure out whether or not we still should have invaded and occupied Iraq knowing what we know now?

Decided to go on the ask trump supporters subreddit to see what discussion looks like now that they've won. Dude wanted "identity politics wiped out." I dug into that, brought up the Mexico and Muslim ban speeches and current marching in cities as reasons why Trump will not get any ground from racial minorities on anything, and "identity politics" is likely stronger than ever because of him. Turns out, the more you talk about race with a Trump supporter in a genuine fashion in a setting where they can't just call you a cuck, the shorter their replies get, and the more they disengage from a real conversation. Eventually they just end with something like "Hopefully he can use the energy he can rile up to focus on America rather than some controversial shit" and address none of the specifics of Trump's issues with race.

Cable news can't have nuanced conversations about race, because they won't give it the time it needs. Trump supporters can't have nuanced conversations about race, because they have no real non-racist argument. Sad!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Has anyone devised a Bernie Bro mute button extension yet?

Anywhere I fucking go, Facebook, Reddit, It's insufferable.

Totakeke

Decided to go on the ask trump supporters subreddit to see what discussion looks like now that they've won. Dude wanted "identity politics wiped out." I dug into that, brought up the Mexico and Muslim ban speeches and current marching in cities as reasons why Trump will not get any ground from racial minorities on anything, and "identity politics" is likely stronger than ever because of him. Turns out, the more you talk about race with a Trump supporter in a genuine fashion in a setting where they can't just call you a cuck, the shorter their replies get, and the more they disengage from a real conversation. Eventually they just end with something like "Hopefully he can use the energy he can rile up to focus on America rather than some controversial shit" and address none of the specifics of Trump's issues with race.

Cable news can't have nuanced conversations about race, because they won't give it the time it needs. Trump supporters can't have nuanced conversations about race, because they have no real non-racist argument. Sad!

I want to see protests on cable news media.

So in non-political stuff today, I played Batman Arkham Knight and I have to say that the final segment of the game is very interesting. Game has a lot of ideas (some original, some certainly not) but the quality of those ideas varies wildly. Very different from what I expected.

In political news, please join an environmental organization to protest when Trump attempts to turn public lands over to drillers.

And join a climate change organization too because millions in India and Bangladesh will die otherwise.

So in non-political stuff today, I played Batman Arkham Knight and I have to say that the final segment of the game is very interesting. Game has a lot of ideas (some original, some certainly not) but the quality of those ideas varies wildly. Very different from what I expected.

In political news, please join an environmental organization to protest when Trump attempts to turn public lands over to drillers.

And join a climate change organization too because millions in India and Bangladesh will die otherwise.
Ugh I'm so bummed I dont know if I'll be getting FFXV.

Sibylus

Banned

Great choice
naga-song3.gif

Just a sense of dread over me lately. I feel immense pressure. We're all walking into the wolves mouth, and people are letting it willingly happen. "Peaceful transition of power". And what, let this person undo plans that are good for the earth like climate change? For immigration? For lgbt? We're just suppose to sit down and let it happen?

"Wait till 2018"

By then they can undo everything. By then it won't matter.

This is a joke right? We're just going to sit down and take it up the ass?

Sorry for the pessimism, but looking at the senate races in 2018 is depressing. I'm under the impression we might lose seats even in spite of anti-Trump sentiment. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong? I'd love to be.

Sorry for the pessimism, but looking at the senate races in 2018 is depressing. I'm under the impression we might lose seats even in spite of anti-Trump sentiment. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong? I'd love to be.

We'll probably lose seats in the Senate, but the goal will be to win a ton of House seats and Governor mansions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of nuance I'm probably missing here, but the fact that half the country didn't vote is a fucking farce.

Totakeke

Wouldn't that like actually benefit them though? It'd give them all sorts of content.

Kinda like Trump gave them.

To raise any awareness on their part of this election. Don't let them feel like they now have the high ground of trying to unite the country together when they're complicit in the whole thing in search of ratings. It's disgusting to see them now talk as if they're all above this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom