• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

Absolutely pathetic that Dems couldn't beat that.
Absolutely pathetic.

I am not sure how much it ultimately made a difference but this definitely was not the year for a protest vote/casting a vote without voting for anyone at the top of the ticket.

Legit terrified at the prospect of a Trump Presidency especially now that I'm reading about his cabinet. This is literally a Tea Party administration incoming. Holy shit, this country is so fucked, he's going to do lasting damage.

I'm kinda afraid that the republicans are going to abuse the power they will have soon. One good thing is that they still have yet to deal with their demographic issues and if trump turns out to be a disasterous president they may be out of power for awhile.

Diablos

I'm kinda afraid that the republicans are going to abuse the power they will have soon. One good thing is that they still have yet to deal with their demographic issues and if trump turns out to be a dsasterous president they may be out of power for awhile.
There already are "demographic issues". The problem is turnout was down among D's and then drowned out by the rural vote, even if slightly, it was.

I think this is more of a question of can Democrats unify and vote reliably again and not cast protest votes or sit out elections because of stupid reasons.

My fear is that the rust belt is now going the way of West Virginia. I hope I'm wrong and that these states can still flip back to the D column in 4 years.

mo60

There already are "demographic issues". The problem is turnout was down among D's and then drowned out by the rural vote, even if slightly, it was.

I think this is more of a question of can Democrats unify and vote reliably again and not cast protest votes or sit out elections because of stupid reasons.

My fear is that the rust belt is now going the way of West Virginia. I hope I'm wrong and that these states can still flip back to the D column in 4 years.

Ohio and Iowa look to be the only states that look to be the next WV in the future. He barely won PA, WI and MI. I'm not sure if he can consolidate his support in those states in the future to make them even more red.

Flint was literally poisoned by a state GOP administration that trashed institutions via fiat and they still didn't think it was worth the time to vote? This makes me sad. That alone would have been enough votes to flip.
Ohio and Iowa look to be the only states that look to be the next WV in the future. He barely won PA, WI and MI. I'm not sure if he can consolidate his support in those states in the future to make them even more red.
MI PA WI will be fine if Democrats bother to make sure everyone is compliant with voter ID laws on top of just trying to get them to say they'll go vote. OH was such a massive turnaround I don't know what to think of it yet.

mo60

Flint was literally poisoned by a state GOP administration that trashed institutions via fiat and they still didn't think it was worth the time to vote? This makes me sad. That alone would have been enough votes to flip.MI PA WI will be fine if Democrats bother to make sure everyone is compliant with voter ID laws on top of just trying to get them to say they'll go vote. OH was such a massive turnaround I don't know what to think of it yet.

Yeah. I don't see how they turnaround an approximately 10% loss in the future in OH and IA.

benjipwns

Banned
Flint was literally poisoned by a state GOP administration that trashed institutions via fiat and they still didn't think it was worth the time to vote? This makes me sad. That alone would have been enough votes to flip.
Want me to make it worse?

2016 - 52.4%
2012 - 63.6%
2008 - 65.3%
2004 - 60.0%
2000 - 62.8%
1996 - 60.9% (10.2% Perot)
1992 - 52.6% (23.1% Perot)
1988 - 59.3%

Hillary did worse than every Democratic Presidential candidate in Flint's county including her husband in a three-way race back to 1984. (Reagan won 51-49.)

Here's the gubernatorial shares:
2014 - 60.5%
2010 - 51.3%
2006 - 65.8%
2002 - 60.1%

She did worse than every statewide D candidate except freakin Virg Bernero who got slaughtered by Snyder in 2010 in every LP county except that one and Wayne (Detroit) and Washtenaw (Ann Arbor).

Diablos

I still cannot believe he won PA though. Pittsburgh along with Eastern PA have tons of votes and the fact they were basically canceled out by all the red counties here is concerning if this continues to be a trend.

I don't get OH either but I think it's gone. Which is crazy. MI is probably winnable again. Not sure about Wisconsin though -- if you compare the county by county map from 2008 to 2012 and then 2016 it's crazy how many counties have slipped away from Democrats. Worried that this may be more of a permanent thing.

Flint was literally poisoned by a state GOP administration that trashed institutions via fiat and they still didn't think it was worth the time to vote? This makes me sad. That alone would have been enough votes to flip.MI PA WI will be fine if Democrats bother to make sure everyone is compliant with voter ID laws on top of just trying to get them to say they'll go vote. OH was such a massive turnaround I don't know what to think of it yet.
That's what I don't understand. How did enough people not realize how big of a deal it was that Trump had to be stopped? Like 6.5m people just don't show up because Obama isn't on the ticket anymore? What a mess.

sazzy

Wikileaks is having a schadenfreude moment

DSufHK.png

Wikileaks is having a schadenfreude moment

DSufHK.png
Wait, so... they goal all along was trying to get Trump elected just so we could see a complete idiot abuse all the Patriot Act shit and intelligence services? Yeah, sounds like a decent motive for Russia.

Edit: Given how contrary those things could be toward actual defense of the First Amendment, online support for the leaks during the campaign is mind-blowingly ironic. Well played, accused rapist.

mo60

I still cannot believe he won PA though. Pittsburgh along with Eastern PA have tons of votes and the fact they were basically canceled out by all the red counties here is concerning if this continues to be a trend.

I don't get OH either but I think it's gone. Which is crazy. MI is probably winnable again. Not sure about Wisconsin though -- if you compare the county by county map from 2008 to 2012 and then 2016 it's crazy how many counties have slipped away from Democrats. Worried that this may be more of a permanent thing.

That's what I don't understand. How did enough people not realize how big of a deal it was that Trump had to be stopped? Like 6.5m people just don't show up because Obama isn't on the ticket anymore? What a mess.

Not enough people voted in the urban areas. That is why he barely won PA.

benjipwns

Banned
Wait, so... they goal all along was trying to get Trump elected just so we could see a complete idiot abuse all the Patriot Act shit and intelligence services? Yeah, sounds like a decent motive for Russia.
Wikileaks goal is upsetting the order, and if that chaos hurts Hillary Clinton that's gravy.

Trump is clearly bad for the USA, so good for Russia in their eyes. In every way, not just in the ways they're pointing out now. His policies pretty much universally weaken America's position on the world stage. America is no longer a country that fulfills it's obligations. America is a country that will fuck itself over on trade. This is all what Putin wants.

mAcOdIn

Well, like Trump's message to Clinton asking her why these things were still broken despite all these years to fix them, Flint's water is still bad right? The pipes are still fucked, right? Flint got their airtime, they got their lip service and then what?

So yeah, a Republican administration did it to them but a Democratic federal government knows about it and isn't exactly speeding to the rescue. So all politicians get the blame there. If the Federal government deployed the Army Corps of Engineers and shit and switched the water back and started replacing pipes the day after they found out maybe more in Flint would feel differently but instead they got bottled water and assurances that this will be taken care of. Someday.

Now, that's not how law works in this country, I get it, but there it is. There's the frustration. Think about it, if you had a populist strongman in the office who forced his way in to fix that mess, how much do you think people'd be fighting that? Do you think Flint would be up in arms with State's Rights and shit if the government just shat on Flint and Michigan's jurisdiction and fixed that mistake? Honestly, probably not.

And again, I get that those jurisdictions and laws and the process that must be followed protects people from strongmen aiming to do bad things as well. But really all people see when they're knee deep in lead poisoning is one side that did it and another that's just as happy to casually let it continue until they can conveniently get it taken care of on their terms.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Marc Love
‏@marcslove
Clinton lost MI by 13,225 votes.

110,133 Michiganders cast a ballot w/o voting for President.

I have never once given a crap about college football but I will root for Ohio in that rivalry game every year for the rest of my life.

Fucking hell.

FUCK those 'I'm not voting either party because I'm edgy'.

They think their vote doesn't matter until it fucking does.

Fucking hell.

We wanted Clinton to win.

America deserves trump.

I see this in other threads but, why is it there seem to be a consensus everywhere that should those people actually vote between one of the two, then the vote would surely go to Clinton and not Trump?

The same with 3rd party voters. Many seemingly blame them for the loss that Hillary has suffered but, if they actually voted between one of the two main people or if there's no 3rd party choices at all, what makes you guys so sure that they would actually go to Hillary and not Trump?

Pixieking

Banned
Trump is clearly bad for the USA, so good for Russia in their eyes. In every way, not just in the ways they're pointing out now. His policies pretty much universally weaken America's position on the world stage. America is no longer a country that fulfills it's obligations. America is a country that will fuck itself over on trade. This is all what Putin wants.

On the plus-side, I can see Germany, Japan and Canada strengthening to counter the weak US. Japan's already pushing for a standing army (removed by the US after WW2). Germany is the centre of Europe, and will push the EU as a larger trading block and maybe increase NATO payments and units to cover the US drop, and Canada can maybe step into the US's shoes as policeman/sentry.

benjipwns

Banned
I see this in other threads but, why is it there seem to be a consensus everywhere that should those people actually vote between one of the two, then the vote would surely go to Clinton and not Trump?

The same with 3rd party voters. Many seemingly blame them for the loss that Hillary has suffered but, if they actually voted between one of the two main people or if there's no 3rd party choices at all, what makes you guys so sure that they would actually go to Hillary and not Trump?
Well, see, it'll be explained to them that it's the more rational decision and...

Pixieking

Banned
Well, like Trump's message to Clinton asking her why these things were still broken despite all these years to fix them, Flint's water is still bad right? The pipes are still fucked, right? Flint got their airtime, they got their lip service and then what?

So yeah, a Republican administration did it to them but a Democratic federal government knows about it and isn't exactly speeding to the rescue. So all politicians get the blame there. If the Federal government deployed the Army Corps of Engineers and shit and switched the water back and started replacing pipes the day after they found out maybe more in Flint would feel differently but instead they got bottled water and assurances that this will be taken care of. Someday.

Now, that's not how law works in this country, I get it, but there it is. There's the frustration. Think about it, if you had a populist strongman in the office who forced his way in to fix that mess, how much do you think people'd be fighting that? Do you think Flint would be up in arms with State's Rights and shit if the government just shat on Flint and Michigan's jurisdiction and fixed that mistake? Honestly, probably not.

And again, I get that those jurisdictions and laws and the process that must be followed protects people from strongmen aiming to do bad things as well. But really all people see when they're knee deep in lead poisoning is one side that did it and another that's just as happy to casually let it continue until they can conveniently get it taken care of on their terms.

I would like to think that my GOTV idea could also educate people about governing and government, as a side-line. The ignorance (whether through laziness, lack of education, or just people too busy to read-up) is astounding. And that's obvious from the way that Trump was able to get the WWC vote, whilst being obviously unable to do anything for the WWC. We know he talked shit, but people needed to be walked through it, and no-one is/was willing to do that.

Am I hoping for too much? Maybe. But I'll tell you something - my interest in gaming has died recently, and I've been thinking about how I don't do much to contribute to society. So I've got the motivation.

Because a vote for Trump is seen as being based in

1) Racism (Hispanics/Wall)
2) Sexism (both verbal and physical assault)
3) Selfishness (I'm a white male/female - I got mine, fuck you)
4) Ignorance (He'll get jobs back bigly, even though he buys cheap Chinese steel and doesn't pay his contractors)

Third-party voters couldn't swallow voting for Trump, but didn't want to vote for Hillary (for whatever reason). So, they went for either an anti-vaxxer or dumb-ass who stuck his tongue out on TV. Oh, except for the 11,000 people who wrote in Harambe (assuming that story is true). Fucking ignorant dipshits.

(Side-note, I reckon I've sworn more over the past 2 days than I had over the previous month. Also, long-time-poster/first-time-writer of the word "dipshit")

Probably polling and historical data. Typical democrat voters didn't vote for Clinton in this election. For Michigan, a lot of those may have just left the top of the ticket blank. Certainly you can come up with other theories, you could say they all just stayed home and the blank spot on the tickets is explained by some other phenomenon. I don't see why Dem voters not casting a vote for president wouldn't be the prevailing theory considering what we know about Michigan historically.

Regardless of which they might have been forced to vote for, it's the responsibility of every voter to consider the consequences of their vote (or omitted vote). Both candidates were extremely known quantities with known agendas. Ignorance is not an excuse. They're fools regardless of their third-party selection. A meaningless act that shows a complete lack of empathy. Nothing personal to any GAFfers making such votes; It's just my opinion.

benjipwns

Banned
Regardless of which they might have been forced to vote for, it's the responsibility of every voter to consider the consequences of their vote (or omitted vote). Both candidates were extremely known quantities with known agendas. Ignorance is not an excuse. They're fools regardless of their third-party selection. A meaningless act that shows a complete lack of empathy. Nothing personal to any GAFfers making such votes; It's just my opinion.
The consequences of an individual vote are nil.

You're really demanding that voters substitute their own personal decision making process for yours.

Pixieking

Banned
The consequences of an individual vote are nil.

I think this is something that every society has, and no society has really addressed properly.

An individual vote really does have no consequence. It's only when added to someone else's individual vote, and then someone else's again, that it has power. But we all need to push the idea that no vote is worthless - it all means something, to someone. People who don't push that idea need to realise that a large part of society (as made-up of individuals) lack empathy. That lack of empathy is what's driving the right-wing forces forward across the Western world. It's ironic that a country that is worried about Sharia Law being pushed by Muslims is 1) not bothered about it abroad and 2) fine with aspects of US society becoming almost-Sharia like in its restrictions for certain groups. Why? Because lack of empathy.

Twitter abuse, fat-shaming (which is fine now, because Trump is in) and GG are a direct example of society willfully not caring about other people. We can start by saying that, even if I don't care about my vote, other people do.

(Edited the first paragraph for clarity)

Measley

Hillary Clinton wins the popular vote.

This country is going to be very divided now. If Trump had won the popular vote, more people could probably accept the outcome, but now people are just going to be pissed that he's the POTUS.

We really need to abolish the Electoral College. The founders put it in place to appease slave holding states. I think its far past time we remove it and just go with the popular vote.

2016 - 52.4%
2012 - 63.6%
2008 - 65.3%
2004 - 60.0%
2000 - 62.8%
1988 - 59.3%

Hillary did worse than every Democratic Presidential candidate in Flint's county including her husband in a three-way race back to 1984. (Reagan won 51-49.)

2014 - 60.5%
2010 - 51.3%
2006 - 65.8%
2002 - 60.1%

She did worse than every statewide D candidate except freakin Virg Bernero who got slaughtered by Snyder in 2010 in every LP county except that one and Wayne (Detroit) and Washtenaw (Ann Arbor).
How dumb does Hillary campaign look by trying to make a play for Arizona while her own blue strongholds were crumbling. All that money, people, number crunching for absolutely fucking nothing. Your data analytics team needs to be shot into the sun.

Pixieking

Banned
How dumb does Hillary campaign look by trying to make a play for Arizona while her own blue strongholds were crumbling. All that money, people, number crunching for absolutely fucking nothing. Your data analytics team needs to be shot into the sun.

Do we know how they failed so badly, yet?

And wasn't it the same team as Obama's? That would suggest it wasn't the team itself wholly to blame, but something else..

aaaaa0

Hillary Clinton wins the popular vote.

Winning the popular vote in the presence of the Electoral College does not mean anything.

For example, Trump supporters in California and Clinton supporters in Texas may have stayed home because their votes simply don't matter to the EC.

Because we have no idea how many of those voters exist, nor how many would actually come out if the presidential election was a popular vote, it is impossible to play what if and predict who would win based on the actual popular vote share in this election.

The very presence of the EC invalidates the popular vote stats.

Fox318

2016 - 52.4%
2012 - 63.6%
2008 - 65.3%
2004 - 60.0%
2000 - 62.8%
1988 - 59.3%

2014 - 60.5%
2010 - 51.3%
2006 - 65.8%
2002 - 60.1%

Every democrat wanted to look last the fact that she wasn't a good campaigner, wasn't well liked, and had 30 years of political baggage and controversies with time bombs such as her idiot husband and a personal aid who was married to a pedofile (who was going on talk shows) because of the singular fact that she was a woman.

Some of it was conservative propaganda and some of it was election interference from international groups but democrats need need to be more focused on winning than optics.

Half the agument for Hillary that was being publicized was it's time for a female president yet she lost women.

Obama didn't win his presidency by saying we have had 43 white presidents it's time for a black one, he had a clear message of change and optimism.

I wasn't the greatest Bernie can but that primary should have been a good test run for each candidate yet while the republicans had 1543 debates and tv time to get their message dems in the DNC were trying to protect Hillary and keep them off tv.

Bernie tapped into the political movement that was gonna win the election for Trump in the midwest.

Diablos

Not enough people voted in the urban areas. That is why he barely won PA.
This is not supposed to happen here though. I am just hoping this is a fluke and PA can still be a reliable blue state in the future.

Ugh, just hit me that a 7-2 conservative SCOTUS is a real possibility before the end of Trump's Presidency. How can progressive politics survive that? Even if we have a wave in a few years, that's not the kind of court that upholds a public option.

I think everything from Roe to healthcare is doomed for at least a generation. Terrifying.

Wallach

Been a long day for me.

I've come to the conclusion that I have a lot to own about what happened here.

When I woke up yesterday after the election, initially, I felt like I had woken up in a completely different world than the one I woke up in the day before on election day.

But that's the lie. It was the exact same world election day, just as it was the day before that. The difference was what I believed about it. What I was told to believe about it, especially.

That happened because I failed a responsibility to myself. I don't plan to feel like this ever again.

I'm going to call it now, for 2020 we need a Franken/(Michelle) Obama ticket. On top of that we need to purge the DNC and get rid of anyone with ties to the 2016 Clinton campaign. People don't trust the DNC, and they don't trust anyone tied to Hillary Clinton. The Democrats have the right ideas, but it always comes back to the fact that we always find ourselves in an elitist mindset of "no, we know the candidate that is best for the job". The DNC may not have literally forced Sanders out (and I don't even think he would have won the general) but between all the leaks and the controversies it damaged their image so badly that this election for a not insubstantial number of people became not only a referendum on the importance of white blue collar workers, but also on the problems of image. There's a real problem when we can elect a white man who is mired by as many gaffes as Trump had over a qualified woman with a deeply flawed image.

EDIT: I'm just getting to the acceptance part of the grieving process I believe.

This is not supposed to happen here though. I am just hoping this is a fluke and PA can still be a reliable blue state in the future.

Ugh, just hit me that a 7-2 conservative SCOTUS is a real possibility before the end of Trump's Presidency. How can progressive politics survive that? Even if we have a wave in a few years, that's not the kind of court that upholds a public option.

I think everything from Roe to healthcare is doomed for at least a generation. Terrifying.

Yeah, terrifying.

But at this point. My main concern is the environment, global warming, and animal welfare--they don't deserve to pay for our mistakes. I hope the rest of the world steps up and picks up our slack

Pixieking

Banned

Some of which still has to go through the Court process, and there's nothing threatening Roe (for example) for a bit. The last SCOTUS judgement on abortion (restrictions on centres that required doctors to have admitting privileges, and building sizes) has been definitively knocked down, which means States have to find a new avenue. And then it's appealed, and then SCOTUS. Realistically, Roe is safe for at least 2 years. Hence, it's all about the mid-terms, or cross-aisle compromise.

I'm not even sure how many Republican Senators are coming-up for re-election, but I'm more and more convinced that Trump's abject failure to help the WWC, as well as giving positions of power to friends and family will fuck the GOP over in 2018. We need to shove his lies down their throats, and get them to vote.

Edit: Relevant

Trump Rides a Wave of Fury That May Damage Global Prosperity

Mr. Trump drew support from factory town laborers who have traditionally voted for Democrats but did not trust Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. Many recall how her husband forged the North American Free Trade Agreement, which helped cause a shift of American manufacturing to Mexico. If Mr. Trump does not find a way to satisfy their high expectations, these people are likely to feel deceived.

And any proposals need to navigate the reliably treacherous politics of Washington. The latest piece of Trump real estate, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, sits just down the street from a Capitol full of people who got themselves elected in part by railing against deficits and promising to cut federal spending.

The soon-to-be President Trump has vowed to counteract the problems afflicting workers by unleashing a wave of infrastructure spending that will generate jobs for skilled hands. Perhaps he will have more luck than his predecessor, President Obama, whose own plans for infrastructure spending died time and again at the hands of Republican deficit hawks. Mr. Trump is — at least on paper — a fellow Republican.

sazzy

My opinion that Hillary's campaign screwed up royally is only strengthened:

Last year, a prominent group of supporters asked Hillary Clinton to address a prestigious St. Patrick’s Day gathering at the University of Notre Dame, an invitation that previous presidential candidates had jumped on.

Barack Obama and Joseph R. Biden Jr. had each addressed the group, and former President Bill Clinton was eager for his wife to attend. But Mrs. Clinton’s campaign refused, explaining to the organizers that white Catholics were not the audience she needed to spend time reaching out to.

And she ceded the white working-class voters who backed Mr. Clinton in 1992. Though she would never have won this demographic, her husband insisted that her campaign aides do more to try to cut into Mr. Trump’s support with these voters. They declined, reasoning that she was better off targeting college-educated suburban voters by hitting Mr. Trump on his temperament.

Mrs. Clinton’s campaign tested out 84 slogans. There was “She’s Got Your Back,” “Strength You Can Count On” and “Real Fairness, Real Solutions.”

“Do we have any sense from her what she believes or wants her core message to be?” Joel Benenson, the campaign’s chief strategist and pollster, asked the chairman of her campaign, John D. Podesta, ahead of a New Hampshire speech, according to a hacked email that was among the thousands released by WikiLeaks.

Early on, Mr. Clinton had pleaded with Robby Mook, Mrs. Clinton’s campaign manager, to do more outreach with working-class white and rural voters. But his advice fell on deaf ears.

Former Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania also said he had encouraged campaign aides at Mrs. Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters to spread their vast resources outside Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and focus on rural white pockets of the state. “We had the resources to do both,” Mr. Rendell said Wednesday. “The campaign — and this was coming from Brooklyn — didn’t want to do it.” (Mr. Trump won Pennsylvania by one percentage point.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/u...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

I hope Republicans/Trump pass their entire economic and social agenda. So people can see what that will be like.

Ban Abortion.
PP gone.
Remove LGBT/Transgender protections.
Voucher Medicare
Block Grant Medicaid & Food Stamps
Repeal ACA
Ban Reporters/Media as needed
Make Internet a non-utility
Withdraw all trade agreements
Impose import duties
Register Muslims
Deport 20 million
Build the wall

My opinion that Hillary's campaign screwed up royally is only strengthened:

None of the people in prominent positions within her campaign should be taken in by future Democrats. They could not have screwed this up any more. Focusing all their resources on PA/OH/FL/NC/GA/IA was such a greedy strategy.

sazzy

It's easy to see all this after the campaign ended and she lost. Oh she would have done more to appeal to white people, like what, tell them All Lives Matter maybe.

What happened is everybody including all pollsters underestimated rural white turnout.

I'm not white, but I'm pretty sure white people could have been courted with something more substantial than Hillary telling them "All Lives Matter".

Some of which still has to go through the Court process, and there's nothing threatening Roe (for example) for a bit. The last SCOTUS judgement on abortion (restrictions on centres that required doctors to have admitting privileges, and building sizes) has been definitively knocked down, which means States have to find a new avenue. And then it's appealed, and then SCOTUS. Realistically, Roe is safe for at least 2 years. Hence, it's all about the mid-terms, or cross-aisle compromise (only two Republican senators need to flip for blocking SCOTUS appointments).

I'm not even sure how many Republican Senators are coming-up for re-election, but I'm more and more convinced that Trump's abject failure to help the WWC, as well as giving positions of power to friends and family will fuck the GOP over in 2018. We need to shove his lies down their throats, and get them to vote.

And 23 Democrats and 2 Independents including St Bernard. Several in red or swing states.

Also I'm not even sure what you mean by be non partisan but turnout people and tell them not to vote Republican.

Diablos

Some of which still has to go through the Court process, and there's nothing threatening Roe (for example) for a bit. The last SCOTUS judgement on abortion (restrictions on centres that required doctors to have admitting privileges, and building sizes) has been definitively knocked down, which means States have to find a new avenue. And then it's appealed, and then SCOTUS. Realistically, Roe is safe for at least 2 years. Hence, it's all about the mid-terms, or cross-aisle compromise (only two Republican senators need to flip for blocking SCOTUS appointments).

Edit: Relevant

Trump Rides a Wave of Fury That May Damage Global Prosperity
I don't even know how to think about the timeline here. This loss fucks up everything.

I just hope that a. Trump is a one term President and b. Breyer and Ginsburg stay on the court through his term.

If we get justices like William Pryor, Don Willett or even Mike Lee on the SCOTUS we are so fucked.

Like, I don't think anything will survive. Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, ACA (or whatever is left of it), women's reproductive rights, on and on. This country will turn into a theocracy. This may already start to happen with Trump having all three branches at his disposal.

sazzy

That list of slogans btw:

They paid $3 million for this.

There was policy complacency: Clinton never developed the kind of central animating idea or program that wins elections and can be communicated in a heartbeat. “Stronger Together’’ is a slogan, but not a call to arms. Nor did she heed the signs. Last spring, the Bernie Sanders insurgency delivered a powerful piece of intelligence to Clinton world, that the status quo was not cutting it with the Democratic base, and that she was far from universally liked even in her own party. She made some concessions to the Sanders-nistas in the Democratic platform over the summer, then largely reverted to form.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-loses-2016-complacency-214445

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom