• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically find the best fit for each seat and run them. Like in 2006/08.

But that is harder when the people at the top, or running for it have what some places consider to be "hard line" views on certain things. Obama and Hillary being so against guns and so for Abortion hurts dems everywhere in these areas regardless of what the candidates say or actually believe/support.

Someone at the top with stances Kaine/Biden that are more sympathetic in their approach to abortion, or stance like Bernie more being sympathetic on guns, might not be the worst idea.

pigeon

Banned
Look, I'm speaking in very large generalities. Lots of people failed to show up.

I'm not trying to blame one group or another, but we keep waiting on a huge wave of hispanic turnout that just has not materialized.

This is not correct. Latino turnout was quite high -- that's why Hillary made advances in all the states with high Latino population. She made big moves in Arizona and Texas. Georgia had strong Democratic turnout. Florida had extremely high Latino turnout -- it just also had high white turnout.

The problem is that it just wasn't quite enough to win those states, while white working class voters flipped or didn't turn out in the Rust Belt.

In four to eight years, it would probably have worked.

We may not get the chance to run the play again.

And in the end that's probably part of why his legacy will be destroyed.

You can say that again. We'll see if he wakes up after he leaves office. I'm not saying he needs to see Republicans as "the enemy" but he sure as shit can't see them as a friend if he wants to be part of the Progressive movement going forward. Fear(sadly) is still a monster of a motivator.

i guess shy introverted nerds who don't have an ounce of charisma can't ever run for president
Fuck wonkiness and policy-orientation.

This has been true for the entire history of our country. At least since the days of radio and television, and ever before those you still needed some charisma.

You can say that again. We'll see if he wakes up after he leaves office. I'm not saying he needs to see Republicans as "the enemy" but he sure as shit can't see them as a friend if he wants to be part of the Progressive movement going forward. Fear(sadly) is still a monster of a motivator.

The progressive movement can't kick Obama out. It would kill them instantly.

I will follow Obama to the ends of the earth. I trust him far too much and like him far too much to abandon him for someone like Bernie. If any progressives wanted to kick him out of their little club, I'm going with him. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Revolver

Obama has always taken the higher ground and work with Republicans.

I don't know how he does it. Sitting there with a man that tried to delegitimize his presidency and vows to wipe his accomplishments from the history books. He's such a class act til the end. I kept thinking back to that Frontline documentary and the Trump biographer talking about how he wants Obama to be the one handing over power to him and how it will give him great personal satisfaction. Makes me so sick to see this all unfolding.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
...who around here hates Dean??? I have never seen anyone in PoliGaf ever hate on Dean. We were quite happy when he made a speech at the DNC

Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else. I thought I remembered him getting trashed on the board. Either way, he knew what he was doing.

Barzul

i guess shy introverted nerds who don't have an ounce of charisma can't ever run for president

The voting population is majority uneducated (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Charisma beats policy every time. It's why people can ignore fact and say the economy "feels" bad.

Grief.exe

I don't know how he does it. Sitting there with a man that tried to delegitimize his presidency and vows to wipe his accomplishments from the history books. He's such a class act til the end. I kept thinking back to that Frontline documentary and the Trump biographer talking about how he wants Obama to be the one handing over power to him and how it will give him great personal satisfaction. Makes me so sick to see this all unfolding.

We didn't deserve Obama.

East Lake

You have got to be fucking kidding me with this shit.

We're not just doing political fanfic, we're doing dystopian political fanfic.

I am not kidding when I say this is measurably worse than the people saying we should stop caring about people of color.

Nobody knows anything about what happened during the campaign, and nobody knows whether the articles being written are presenting a full and unbiased picture or whether they're deliberate leaks by people with agendas.

But everybody should know that there is nothing productive in talking about potential missteps the campaign made on a process level after the fact.
Nobody knows anything, but we certainly know Hillary made no missteps, that racist whites are to blame, and that there's no way to improve the next time around.

Boke1879

Trump is a petty ass man and he only ran as a big "fuck you" to everyone and just to say he did it IMO. Well now he has to do actual work

Well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_5824cb95e4b0ddd4fe7954e8?f019736x1ofscerk9

WASHINGTON ― On Thursday, Democratic Party officials held their first staff meeting since Hillary Clinton’s stunning loss to Donald Trump in the presidential race. It didn’t go well.

Donna Brazile, the interim leader of the Democratic National Committee, was giving what one attendee described as “a rip-roaring speech” to about 150 employees, about the need to have hope for wins going forward, when a staffer identified only as Zach stood up with a question.

“Why should we trust you as chair to lead us through this?” he asked, according to two people in the room. “You backed a flawed candidate, and your friend [former DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz] plotted through this to support your own gain and yourself.”

“You are part of the problem,” he continued, blaming Brazile for clearing the path for Trump’s victory by siding with Clinton early on. “You and your friends will die of old age and I’m going to die from climate change. You and your friends let this happen, which is going to cut 40 years off my life expectancy.”

Zach gathered his things and began to walk out. When Brazile called after him, asking where he was going, he told her to go outside and “tell people there” why she should be leading the party.

Two DNC staffers confirmed the exchange.

Neither of the DNC staffers who spoke to HuffPost knew Zach’s last name, or much about him. They noted that he wasn’t alone in his sentiments. Some in the room nodded as he spoke, they said, and after he left, some talked about him being right on some points (perhaps not his claims about imminent death by climate change).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else. I thought I remembered him getting trashed on the board. Either way, he knew what he was doing.

You're thinking of the guy who headed the DNC before DWS. I forget his name. Think he was from Virginia?

numble

You have got to be fucking kidding me with this shit.

We're not just doing political fanfic, we're doing dystopian political fanfic.

I am not kidding when I say this is measurably worse than the people saying we should stop caring about people of color.

Nobody knows anything about what happened during the campaign, and nobody knows whether the articles being written are presenting a full and unbiased picture or whether they're deliberate leaks by people with agendas.

But everybody should know that there is nothing productive in talking about potential missteps the campaign made on a process level after the fact.

Why is it not productive to talk about the process level? Of course it is important. This is how campaigns learn and improve. For one thing, we can be assured that the polls didn't capture everything, and you don't need insight into their internal polls to do that--just looking at the public polls.

pigeon

Banned
Nobody knows anything, but we certainly know Hillary made no missteps, that racist whites are to blame, and that there's no way to improve the next time around.

Maybe Hillary made missteps. Nobody here knows.

Racist whites are clearly to blame. They're the ones who voted for Trump in large numbers.

I think we could improve the next time around. I don't think it changes the fact that this election was an existential event for people of color and women, and Americans failed.

Why is it not productive to talk about the process level? Of course it is important. This is how campaigns learn and improve. For one thing, we can be assured that the polls didn't capture everything, and you don't need insight into their internal polls to do that--just looking at the public polls.

Because we know nothing and this is a video game message board.

If you work for HFA, yes, please postmortem. Trying to postmortem on zero information is idiotic.

Hindl

He's right

“The party is at a crossroads. They have been using the same playbook for decades, and now, they won’t let anyone else come in and change it up,” said one former longtime DNC staffer, who requested anonymity to speak freely. “The fact that Democrats just sat through a devastating defeat and now have to trust the leadership that not only contributed to Clinton’s loss, but the crushing 2014 midterm losses, well, what do they expect?”

The old guard needs to step aside. They had their candidate, and they lost. Badly. Millions of people they swore to protect and defend are going to have their rights trampled because they fucked up. They need to completely remove anyone related to the Clinton era from the DNC and start over

Bowdz

Personally, I think we need to address the DNC and state parties first. Remember that the GOP owns the government now in full. If they fuck things up, it is on them and we need to remind voters of it. Thus, as daunting as the 2018 map looks, we need to start organizing NOW to hold seats that look unwinnable, take back state legislatures and state houses, and start running as a real opposition party. We need to rebuild the party and the future bench of the party from the ground up. Get local with our outreach, listen to all voters, make the effort, and campaign honest, passionate candidates.

We need to rebuild bottom up not top down.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Welcome to the entirety human history.

Very few people without charisma were able to become to President. Nixon was one of them, maybe GH Bush?

mo60

This is not correct. Latino turnout was quite high -- that's why Hillary made advances in all the states with high Latino population. She made big moves in Arizona and Texas. Georgia had strong Democratic turnout. Florida had extremely high Latino turnout -- it just also had high white turnout.

The problem is that it just wasn't quite enough to win those states, while white working class voters flipped or didn't turn out in the Rust Belt.

In four to eight years, it would probably have worked.

We may not get the chance to run the play again.

The democrats may if trump is bad enough. I don't think hispanics in the west and southwest won't all of the sudden decide to not stay energized in future elections.

Donny Brazille needs to go now. I've always liked her but the old Clinton guard needs to be replaced.

No we don't need a part time DNC chair. This is a colossal task that needs to be done and it's going to take full attention

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
“You are part of the problem,” he continued, blaming Brazile for clearing the path for Trump’s victory by siding with Clinton early on. “You and your friends will die of old age and I’m going to die from climate change. You and your friends let this happen, which is going to cut 40 years off my life expectancy.”

Ice cold, Zach. Make this guy the DNC chair.

Seriously.

If this election tells us anything it's that there are deep issues with the core strategy they have used for the last 4 years.

The entire DNC has been a disaster for like 8 years that was covered up by Obama being amazing.

There have been institutional problems before that as well but the disaster Bush presidency allowed us to take the upper hand. There needs to be someone ruthless and fully devoted at the helm

kadotsu

Banned
Someone should ask Trump what his positions of Saudi Arabia funding terrorism is. Should probably have happened during the campaign. Well, it wasn't an issues election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom