• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, you can trade coins for Death Metals? Awesome. I'll have to dig around the menus some more to find that. I thought you can only trade Death Metals for coins (who the hell would do this?).

Btw, you can later upgrade your bank to well beyond 40k. I'm at 70k now. Not that it really matters now that I'm getting raided all the damn time... I just spend all my shit before I log off now. Can't steal what I don't have!
Wait you're right. It's the other way around :( I was under the impression that was an option so I was spending the DMs. UGH!! Well good thing we had this conversation otherwise I'd have been a dead fool.

mo60

I don't see this happening given that no one candidate is going to have too much influence over the DNC. Much of the anger this year centered on Clinton allies in the DNC giving her preferential treatment. I can't stand Clintons obviously but let's be real: I understand why the Democrat National Committee favored a democrat in the democrat primary.

I'm not worried about progressives, I'm moreso worried about finding a good candidate who can win. Unless Trump is a complete disaster he's going to raise a billion dollars and be very formidable.

Will it even matter if he raises a billion dollar?The recent US election and a few elections in the last couple of years in other countries like Canada have shown that a candidate or a political party can raise a ton of money and still lose.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm probably super late on this, teacher life; but the interview with Coates with Hayes on MSNBC was superb. I just started reading Coates' article on Atlantic and it is really good, only through the first section.

My President Was Black

Coates/Hayes

Gonna try and grab 1/2 dozen issues of Atlantic for some friends/family, I know at the minimum my parents will read it.

Obama’s early positive interactions with his white family members gave him a fundamentally different outlook toward the wider world than most blacks of the 1960s had. Obama told me he rarely had “the working assumption of discrimination, the working assumption that white people would not treat me right or give me an opportunity or judge me [other than] on the basis of merit.” He continued, “The kind of working assumption” that white people would discriminate against him or treat him poorly “is less embedded in my psyche than it is, say, with Michelle.”
Really says a lot about his failures in governance.

I'm just wondering how far into anti-establishment, anti-expert territory we have to get before there's a backlash in favour of re-installing experts and professional politicians.

Why would anyone reasonable reinstall people who helped cause problems and failed their way up into positions of power? People are tired of incompetence and catastrophic mistakes by the current establishment.

CygnusXS

Why would anyone reasonable reinstall people who helped cause problems and failed their way up into positions of power? People are tired of incompetence and catastrophic mistakes by the current establishment.

The answer to your question is so obvious, whether you agree with it or not, that I have to assume this isn't a sincere question.

The answer to your question is so obvious, whether you agree with it or not, that I have to assume this isn't a sincere question.

If we pretend the Obama administration tried to clean house in terms of personnel, then failed to clean up the mess left by ideologues within the Clinton and Bush administrations...you think people would reinstall the same people who made egregious mistakes? Many Americans are gullible but give people a bit more credit.

Geist-

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-electors-lessig-232598
Larry Lessig, a Harvard University constitutional law professor who made a brief run for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, claimed Tuesday that 20 Republican members of the Electoral College are considering voting against Donald Trump, a figure that would put anti-Trump activists more than halfway toward stalling Trump’s election.

I don't know how reliable Lessig's word is, but it makes me wonder, if something major happened like giving the electors that intelligence briefing, Trump could actually be blocked. 20 faithless electors would already be unprecedented and this is 2016.

I really shouldn't be getting my hopes up, there's probably a better chance of Trump having a heart attack before the inauguration.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Have you guys seen this?

I don't know how reliable Lessig's word is, but it makes me wonder, if something major happened like giving the electors that intelligence briefing, Trump could actually be blocked. 20 faithless electors would already be unprecedented and this is 2016.

I really shouldn't be getting my hopes up, there's probably a better chance of Trump having a heart attack before the inauguration.

Oh my.. I never would think even double digits would be possible

sphagnum

Banned
Have you guys seen this?

Only 6 days left though.

bgbball31

Update on my dad (Hardcore Republican, "Constitutionalist")

Loves every pick on Trump's cabinet. When asked and pressed on whether Trump has made a single mistake since election night,

"Not yet."

Cited Tillerson's connection to oil and Russia as good things, calling him the "as qualified as any other Secretary of State we've had" due to his 35 years in international business.

When I responded by calling Clinton the most qualified presidential candidate ever, he asked, "what experience," mockingly, then brushed it off.

So yeah, while I won't say all of his voters are loving this, but there are certainly some out there that are.

Loves every pick on Trump's cabinet. When asked and pressed on whether Trump has made a single mistake since election night,

"Not yet."

Cited Tillerson's connection to oil and Russia as good things, calling him the "as qualified as any other Secretary of State we've had" due to his 35 years in international business.

When I responded by calling Clinton the most qualified presidential candidate ever, he asked, "what experience," mockingly, then brushed it off.

So yeah, while I won't say all of his voters are loving this, but there are certainly some out there that are.

The realization that business interests significantly conflict with the interests of society in general, when it comes, will be glorious and apocalyptic at the same time.

The horror.

You guys gave up on Castro pretty quick. I'm sure you'll give Kander up too after the next election.

Both of them need to win elected office; people gave up on Castro because it doesn't look like he's going anywhere in that regard.

"Not yet."

There certainly are, sorry you have to deal with that.

The realization that business interests significantly conflict with the interests of society in general, when it comes, will be glorious and apocalyptic at the same time.

The horror.

And for some, that realization will never occur.

Let's not forget, there are many in society that would love for there to be no safety net and for society/government to be run as a business.

And for some, that realization will never occur.

Let's not forget, there are many in society that would love for there to be no safety net and for society/government to be run as a business.

Oh no, it will be realized. When everyone has lost all their wealth and ability to survive at the expense of business. Whether that comes in the form of a terrorist attack, an economic attack, or in just a complete collapse of the world economy, it will be realized. It will just be completely inconvenient for basically everyone.

Oh no, it will be realized. When everyone has lost all their wealth and ability to survive at the expense of business. Whether that comes in the form of a terrorist attack, an economic attack, or in just a complete collapse of the world economy, it will be realized. It will just be completely inconvenient for basically everyone.

*shrug*

We'll see.

The horror.

I guess there's a sizable portion of the population that needed to have this demonstrated for them, because lately they've shown that they've got short and/or selective memories about this kind of thing. Hopefully people will figure it out before 2020 (or 2018)...

They'll just blame the immigrants/Muslims/women/liberals/elite and line up behind the guy with the biggest guns.

CygnusXS

Pretty sure a lot of who you're talking about have already arrived at this conclusion, but they see it as a feature, not a bug. They're just trying to get themselves into that business class that can exist distinctly from society and general social risk.

Pixieking

Banned
Guys, I'm worried that the 2020 is election is going to be 2016 pt. 2 for the Democrats with infighting between establishment Dems and the progressive wing resulting in 4 more years of Trump. :|

As long as Bernie doesn't do something crazy, this shouldn't happen. But even if it does, the focus should be on 2018 and Reps/Senate 2020. The Dem base needs to be woke to how much outsize power the legislative branches wield, especially when partisan politics and outright hatred are used to block things that are an objective good.

Genuinely, if you're worried, donate to good causes and look at volunteering at your local DNC office.

(Side-note: Wife is applying for a job in Washington DC. If she gets it, I'm volunteering for the Dems like a fucking shot. :D )

Right, if they don't do it soon it's probably too late. Either that or they're planning to do it the day before so any outrage will be fresh and unlikely to be mitigated by Trump.

Day before seems a) like a good tactical maneuver, and b) likely considering how much shit is piling-up. Not that I consider it a likely scenario, no matter how much I want it, but day before is the time to do it.

Plus, 2016 seems to be the year of whattheactualfuck surprises, so... *crosses fingers*

Wait Trump is said to be considering Fiorina for director of national intelligence? I somehow missed this bit of news. With each Trump pick it gets more depressing as he goes with the worst candidates possible for the positions.

Tall4Life

Wait Trump is said to be considering Fiorina for director of national intelligence? I somehow missed this bit of news. With each Trump pick it gets more depressing as he goes with the worst candidates possible for the oositions.
It's like he's asking to get kicked the fuck out of office lmao

It's like he's asking to get kicked the fuck out of office lmao
Given how terrible his cabinet picks are. I can't imagine how horrifying his SC nominations will be. Republicans better just confirm Garland. He is a moderate pick and even now they have to be starting to realize how much worse Trump's picks will be.

faisal233

Given how terrible his cabinet picks are. I can't imagine how horrifying his SC nominations will be. Republicans better just confirm Garland. He is a moderate pick and even now they have to be starting to realize how much worse Trump's picks will be.

What???

The GOP is loving the trump picks, they won't accept anything less than Scalia 2.0

chadskin

CznnXZWWIAAdp5f.jpg

CznnaUTXUAAPQ9u.jpg

Interesting read: http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/12/13/putin-paradigm-how-trump-will-rule/

You guys gave up on Castro pretty quick. I'm sure you'll give Kander up too after the next election.
"Gave up" on Castro because he's stuck in a deeply red state with no easy way to ascend. The HUD position seemed like an attempt to fix this, but he always looked better on paper than in practice.

Granted, Kander was also stuck in a deeply red state - and came very close to winning in a year where the top of the ticket got blown out by nearly 20 points. If Castro pulled it off in Texas he would easily shoot to the top of most peoples' shortlist.

My position is quite clear, if a candidate in the Democratic Party wants to be taken seriously they need to have won a statewide race, specifically Senator or Governor. Kander is great, but if he never rises above Missouri Secretary of State, oh well.

What???

The GOP is loving the trump picks, they won't accept anything less than Scalia 2.0

Regarding the SC, the Republicans are looking for three things first, as they have to get them to avoid losing their power as the nation's demographics shift. They are going to be looking at retaining power as their top priority.

1) Reduce the number of immigrants. (blacklists for "muslim" countries)
2) Make it harder to vote. (think voter id).
3) Make votes from liberals count less (think gerrymandering)

Whoever Trump nominates for the Supreme Court will help them here. Garland will not.

Out of self-preservation, I am certain almost all of them care more about these three things than any kind of climate change position, abortion rights, and so on. They'll kiss Trump's butt if it will help them hold power longer.

Pixieking

Banned
The Oklahoma Supreme Court Just Blocked a Major Anti-Abortion Law

Oklahoma Senate Bill 1848, which was signed by Republican governor Mary Fallin in May 2014, required reproductive-health clinics to have doctors with hospital-admitting privileges onsite whenever abortions were performed. The Center for Reproductive Rights filed a lawsuit challenging the law, and on Tuesday, the state’s high court found that the law is unconstitutional. The court also said that the law goes against the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in Whole Women’s Health v. Hellerstedt, which threw out a similar abortion-clinic shutdown law in Texas.

Pixieking

Banned
This is all good, until conservatives take control of the Supreme Court...

Obama has been appointing lower court judiciary throughout his office, and let's remember that cases need to be kicked-up the court system, right? Also, the interesting thing about the Oklahoma decision there is that it was ruled unconstitutional at both the State level, and at the Federal level.

Not saying there's nothing to worry about, obviously, but it's not as simple as just appointing an anti-abortion SCOTUS judge. Even a conservative-leaning member may not feel the law can be changed, depending upon the specific argument and case presented.

The local ones?

Yeah? Not looked to deeply into it just yet (don't see much point until she gets offered the job), so will see. :)

Ray Lewis meets with Donald Trump

Former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis met Tuesday with President-elect Donald Trump to discuss urban development and a program that helps young people caught up in gangs.

"Urban development and job creation are everything," Lewis told reporters after the meeting. "What we believe with the Trump administration is if we can combine these two powers of coming together -- forget black or white. Black or white is irrelevant. The bottom line is job creation and economic development in these urban areas to change the whole scheme of what our kids see."
After the meeting, Lewis also told reporters that he believed retired Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon Ben Carson is a good choice to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Trump announced last week that he intended to nominate Carson for that job next year.

"He's wide open to really helping us change what hasn't been changed," Lewis said.

Post-racial!

Yeah? Not looked to deeply into it just yet (don't see much point until she gets offered the job), so will see. :)

You should probably look into the Virginia or Maryland party. In the District itself.. just make sure you volunteer during the Democratic primary because that's the actual election. And the two independent city council members are only independent because the city bans the council from having the council be made up entirely of one party (so the independents are Democrats who run as Independent)

In other words, the Democratic Party is basically the only party in DC. Trump only got 4% of the vote there. But it's close proximity to VA and MD means you can volunteer there.

Pixieking

Banned
You should probably look into the Virginia or Maryland party. In the District itself.. just make sure you volunteer during the Democratic primary because that's the actual election. And the two independent city council members are only independent because the city bans the council from having the council be made up entirely of one party (so the independents are Democrats who run as Independent)

In other words, the Democratic Party is basically the only party in DC. Trump only got 4% of the vote there. But it's close proximity to VA and MD means you can volunteer there.

Huh, that's damn useful. Cheers. :)

Wilsongt

It's going to be sad the witness the revionist history of Obama's legacy...

Definitely a once in a lifetime president for Democrats.

It's going to be sad the witness the revionist history of Obama's legacy...

Definitely a once in a lifetime president for Democrats.

Anything good that lingers from Obama = Trump's amazing policy
Anything bad that Trump does = Obama's failed policy

Welcome to the next four years.

It won't stick, though. It never does.

Well, it was only tried on a white presidents before.

I'm not really sure how future presidents can retroactively make popular presidents into bad presidents.

The only instance I can think of, of a president who was popular in his term and then kind of faded away, and people starting rethinking if his presidency was actually good was Clinton, but even so, future presidents had nothing to do with that.

In any case, it's usually the opposite. Presidents look better when the future president messes up. For example, Trump is going to make Bush look good because given the choice between W or Trump, I'm pretty sure most people would pick W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom