• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the reason Obama/WH didn't do that is everybody thought Clinton had it in the bag.

But that just makes it even worse because it means that state-sponsored cyber-warfare is now a partisan issue. The fact that the sitting president can't talk about it because it might look bad/biased is more damaging than the hack itself. Our national security interests being outweighed by electoral politics is not a good thing; Obama should have done this even if the positions were reversed and the Russians were hacking Trump.

Obama's legacy is going to be about the pursuit of political ideals at the expense of everything else.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The article also completely cements my opinion that Obama royally fucked everything up by not openly and officially condemning the Russians. What's the point of a show of strength if it's completely covert? I forgot he had a press conference about the North Korea hack and that we threw some additional sanctions their way too.

Part of the reason Obama/WH didn't do that is everybody thought Clinton had it in the bag.

I think he means long before the late fall. Hacking really is 21st century warfare, and our leadership is not yet treating it that way. They keep talking about "the cyber" and order tanks and ships, but the reality is you also need to be strong in all aspects and protect your national interests online and denounce violators loudly.

Xis

Just saw on Twitter Kasich vetoed the heartbeat abortion bill. Legit surprised; guess he figured it would get struck down by Supreme Court?

mo60

There's a healthy dose of the self righteous in the GOP who believe, whether succeed or fail, the GOP has a mandate from God himself to rule. For them, the entire country could be burning, but it would be "God's plan" because they're so far down the hole, there's no help.

They really don't care what happens to the poor as long as they can discriminate against gay people and stop women from having abortions (except their own daughters, they can have abortions, because you have to keep up appearances).

So I guess that's an in between I guess?

I bet you the GOP dreams in secret of running America for 4+ decades.

studyguy

Aaaand he just signed the 20-week ban.

Current state law forbids abortions after 24 weeks except to save the mother's life and in cases of rape and incest. Only 145 of the nearly 21,000 abortions performed in Ohio last year occurred after 20 weeks.

Kasich, who today enacted his 18th restriction on abortion rights, supports exceptions for rape and incest, but both the bills passed last week by the Republican-ruled General Assembly only contained exceptions to save the life of the mother.

The new abortion regulations, which will take effect in 90 days, will make it a fourth-degree felony for a physician to perform an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy except to save a mother's life. The felony is punishable by up to 18 months in prison. A conviction also would result in the loss of a physician's medical license.

Really puts things into perspective here for how useless this is. Less than 1% 'saved' here by the bill.

Wilsongt

Really puts things into perspective here for how useless this is. Less than 1% 'saved' here by the bill.

Any potential baby that could grow up into poverty and told they are worthless by the government and don't deserve a federal support system is a-okay with the GOP.

Totakeke

“This is a legitimate email,” Charles Delavan, a Clinton campaign aide, replied to another of Mr. Podesta’s aides, who had noticed the alert. “John needs to change his password immediately.”

With another click, a decade of emails that Mr. Podesta maintained in his Gmail account — a total of about 60,000 — were unlocked for the Russian hackers. Mr. Delavan, in an interview, said that his bad advice was a result of a typo: He knew this was a phishing attack, as the campaign was getting dozens of them. He said he had meant to type that it was an “illegitimate” email, an error that he said has plagued him ever since.

I'm both laughing and crying.

Just saw on Twitter Kasich vetoed the heartbeat abortion bill. Legit surprised; guess he figured it would get struck down by Supreme Court?

The bill he signed is worse. Heartbeat bills are often bullshit, poorly written and don't stand up to much legal checking.

I don't know what to believe on the typo issue. Although a typo is plausible it's not like a person in that situation is ever going to go "oh boy, I really fucked that up". Obviously they're going to say it was a typo or auto-correct or whatever, everyone would say that if they were put in that situation.

What makes it harder to believe:

1) Double mistake. Typos usually involve a single missing or transposed letter (or mispelling, eg: illigitimate) but here we are missing both the "I" and the "L". Missing one key in a long word is believable, missing the first two keys in a word not so much.

2) Grammar. The proper grammar for a word starting with a vowel sound is "an" not "a". So it should be "this is an illegitimate email" not "this is a illegitimate email". Person is obviously well-educated based on vocabulary and would know the difference.

3) Double meaning. In the context of the email chain, legitimate could have been intended as a reference to the phishing email itself. As in, this is a legitimate phishing attempt and we need to take this threat seriously.

4) Context. The original phishing email said that Gmail had prevented a user from using your password in Ukraine. If you thought that warning was fake and it was a phishing email then there would be no reason to change your password. The response only makes sense if the person believed the original password was compromised as the phishing email claimed.

5) Continued Presence. If someone forwards you an email asking if it's phishing email you don't reply to them with the phishing email still in the chain. You delete it so that nobody runs the risk of accidentally clicking on it again.

What makes it easier to believe:

1) Provided a link to the actual webpage. If they really did think the email was legitimate, they could have said to go ahead and click on that button. But instead they provided a link to the actual webpage and provided instructions to change your password and enable two-factor authentication.

2) Auto-correct. A well-known risk factor that can turn transform simple typos into bigger problems. However, the fact that this person took the time to insert a colon and hyperlink into their email suggests they were not using a phone. Most email applications do not automatically change words.

3) Routine. If they were being repeatedly pestered with phishing emails then it would be expected for them to be able to recognize them. Otherwise they would have gotten tricked way earlier.

Wilsongt

Just to reiterate how fucked we are: if you want to see how much damage complete control by the GOP can do to progress and liberalism, look at North Carolina. A shining beacon in the south reduced to shambles in 6 years. There is your reference on what kind of damage Trump can do.

Now wondering what that Meat course involved.

Just to reiterate how fucked we are: if you want to see how much damage complete control by the GOP can do to progress and liberalism, look at North Carolina. A shining beacon in the south reduced to shambles in 6 years. There is your reference on what kind of damage Trump can do.

Kansas is pretty good too.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
We should probably be expecting Trump's cabinet members to be actively purging (or encouraging resignations from) competent bureaucratic employees in their respective portfolios right? How much long-term bureaucratic damage is that going to cause?

kadotsu

Banned
We should probably be expecting Trump's cabinet members to be actively purging (or encouraging resignations from) competent bureaucratic employees in their respective portfolios right? How much long-term bureaucratic damage is that going to cause?

Have you read stories about vets trying to get care? It will be like that for everything.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If the witch hunt for EPA staffers who worked on climate change research/projects is any indication, the answers are yes and so much.

NYTimes: Trump Is Said to Offer Interior Job to Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana (Trump Is Said to Offer Interior Job to Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana http://nyti.ms/2hKQ4ro)

How many more Cabinet positions to fill.
This guy's relevant experience appears to be studying geology in college and being a member of the Committee on Natural Resources for his whopping one term in the House.

dakini

Guys, I'm worried that the 2020 is election is going to be 2016 pt. 2 for the Democrats with infighting between establishment Dems and the progressive wing resulting in 4 more years of Trump. :|

CygnusXS

I'm just wondering how far into anti-establishment, anti-expert territory we have to get before there's a backlash in favour of re-installing experts and professional politicians.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm just wondering how far into anti-establishment, anti-expert territory we have to get before there's a backlash in favour of re-installing experts and professional politicians.

As long as people think those experts are just "politicizing" the issue by pushing their "liberal" agenda.

Never.

kirblar

This guy's relevant experience appears to be studying geology in college and being a member of the Committee on Natural Resources for his whopping one term in the House.
This is probably more than most.
As soon as there's a recession.

CygnusXS

As long as people think those experts are just "politicizing" the issue by pushing their "liberal" agenda.

Never.

But they aren't categorizing those people as "experts," in the sense that they see them as sincere avatars of extrahuman knowledge.

I guess, really, the issue isn't that people have become anti-expert, it's that there's been a mass movement to place the "expert" label on the likes of television evangelists and vapid celebrities.

If the witch hunt for EPA staffers who worked on climate change research/projects is any indication, the answers are yes and so much.

He might be a little overqualified for Trump, you're right.

Drakeon

Guys, I'm worried that the 2020 is election is going to be 2016 pt. 2 for the Democrats with infighting between establishment Dems and the progressive wing resulting in 4 more years of Trump. :|

It's a little early to worry about that. Just need to get Jason Kander into some sort of position that he can use to launch a 2020 campaign (can we have him run for McCaskills seat in 2018? Is she ready to retire?).

After listening to his interview on Keeping it 1600, I'm more convinced than ever that Kander could be president and really win. He's the future of the party, I'm just not sure he has a viable path to run for 2020 office, despite the fact that he's exactly the type of person we need to run (he's inspiring and fights for progressive ideals and he knows how to talk like a normal person).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it. Every time I feel like I've accepted the fact that Trump is going to president, I also realize this fucker hasn't even been sworn in yet. Ugh.

NYTimes: Trump Is Said to Offer Interior Job to Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana (Trump Is Said to Offer Interior Job to Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana http://nyti.ms/2hKQ4ro)

How many more Cabinet positions to fill.
Interesting, this might actually be a lifeline to Jon Tester if anything. Also Montana's at-large would be a reasonable place to start for Democrats looking to inch up their seat count (Democrats have won every statewide state government race since 2000).

It's a little early to worry about that. Just need to get Jason Kander into some sort of position that he can use to launch a 2020 campaign (can we have him run for McCaskills seat in 2018? Is she ready to retire?).

After listening to his interview on Keeping it 1600, I'm more convinced than ever that Kander could be president and really win. He's the future of the party, I'm just not sure he has a viable path to run for 2020 office, despite the fact that he's exactly the type of person we need to run (he's inspiring and fights for progressive ideals and he knows how to talk like a normal person).
Let me preface this by saying I love Kander and would love even more to see him run for president someday.

Kander running in 2020 after being in an office for two years would look really dumb. Yes, the GOP just elected Trump, so it's not to say he couldn't win. On the other hand one of the biggest critiques against Palin was her inexperience, and same for Trump. I don't think we need to forfeit our standards for candidates just because Trump won - this makes us a better party.

Kander should go for Gov in 2020 or Senate in 2022. If McCaskill did retire (she's said she's running, but minds can change) he would be a great backup candidate. Probably even better than McCaskill, but the ball's in her court. He goes for gov, he can serve four years and run in 2024 if Trump/GOP got reelected, or wait until 2028 if the incumbent was a Democrat. Elected to Senate in 2022, he can run in 2028.

I don't see this happening given that no one candidate is going to have too much influence over the DNC. Much of the anger this year centered on Clinton allies in the DNC giving her preferential treatment. I can't stand Clintons obviously but let's be real: I understand why the Democrat National Committee favored a democrat in the democrat primary.

I'm not worried about progressives, I'm moreso worried about finding a good candidate who can win. Unless Trump is a complete disaster he's going to raise a billion dollars and be very formidable.

Drakeon

Interesting, this might actually be a lifeline to Jon Tester if anything. Also Montana's at-large would be a reasonable place to start for Democrats looking to inch up their seat count (Democrats have won every statewide state government race since 2000).

Let me preface this by saying I love Kander and would love even more to see him run for president someday.

Kander running in 2020 after being in an office for two years would look really dumb. Yes, the GOP just elected Trump, so it's not to say he couldn't win. On the other hand one of the biggest critiques against Palin was her inexperience, and same for Trump. I don't think we need to forfeit our standards for candidates just because Trump won - this makes us a better party.

Kander should go for Gov in 2020 or Senate in 2022. If McCaskill did retire (she's said she's running, but minds can change) he would be a great backup candidate. Probably even better than McCaskill, but the ball's in her court. He goes for gov, he can serve four years and run in 2024 if Trump/GOP got reelected, or wait until 2028 if the incumbent was a Democrat. Elected to Senate in 2022, he can run in 2028.

Yeah... I know, 2 years isn't enough when his highest elected office is Secretary of State for Missouri.

It's more a pipe dream because he's straight up an inspiring dude that has a definite future as a leader of the party, but 2020 is too soon.

I'm probably super late on this, teacher life; but the interview with Coates with Hayes on MSNBC was superb. I just started reading Coates' article on Atlantic and it is really good, only through the first section.

My President Was Black

Coates/Hayes

Gonna try and grab 1/2 dozen issues of Atlantic for some friends/family, I know at the minimum my parents will read it.

You guys gave up on Castro pretty quick. I'm sure you'll give Kander up too after the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom