• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paches

I was going to tell you that it's insane to even think that he would launch them... but then I really thought about it and now I'm stressed again.

This is a stupid hypothetical, but if Trump wanted to, could he actually Nuke part of America? Just like, straight up Nuke a city where heavy protests are going on if he wanted to? There has to be a bunch of checks blocking him from doing that kind of thing right?

I'm sorry that's an insane thing to say, but I can actually see Trump doing it in a fit of sociopathic rage if the protesting got bad enough. I just feel like he can't... right?
He isn't the one who presses the big red button right? So at this point we are relying on the morale character of the man at the actual switch to disobey a direct command from the president.

Diablos

Yeah, seriously. Threats of violence will not solve anything even if you're just saying it out of frustration. We're in this together, we are all Americans dealing with this new reality. Mobilize and vote against him hard in 2018 and 2020 instead of fighting about Bernie Sanders.

sphagnum

Banned
So, what's the first country Trump will invade? Iran? The Philippines after Duterte calls him a bitch? Or maybe he'll find that endearing.

He can probably get away with nuking Syria since Russia's on his side! Goodbye Rojava, we hardly knew ye.

He isn't the one who presses the big red button right? So at this point we are relying on the morale character of the man at the actual switch to disobey a direct command from the president.

There is no legal protection stopping Trump from nuking anything at any time for any reason. He has to explain his actions a few months later to Congress, by law, but by then, who cares, the damage is done.

The people pushing the actual launch codes have no idea what is going on. They do not know if we just got attacked or why the president launched the attack. They are kept in the dark in a bunker. This is intentional so there is no hesitation because reacting to a nuclear attack there is a margin of error of like 20 seconds.

The general issued to make the call has only one action. He can resign on the spot or face treason charges for disobeying an official order and starting a military coup.

Chumley

Banned
I was going to tell you that it's insane to even think that he would launch them... but then I really thought about it and now I'm stressed again.

This is a stupid hypothetical, but if Trump wanted to, could he actually Nuke part of America? Just like, straight up Nuke a city where heavy protests are going on if he wanted to? There has to be a bunch of checks blocking him from doing that kind of thing right?

I'm sorry that's an insane thing to say, but I can actually see Trump doing it in a fit of sociopathic rage if the protesting got bad enough. I just feel like he can't... right?

He's filling his cabinet with white supremacists. We have to rely on the moral character of one of them to disobey him. We're fucked. He can do whatever he wants.

mo60

So she'll probably end up winning the popular vote by around 2%.

Oh my god.

Yep. There was a canadian election before in the 20th century similar to this one were the liberal candidate won by like 5% but couldn't form government.Also,the only way trump gets kicked out at this point is if the GOP and him literally do what the CPC did with the amount of power they had after the 2011 federal election in Canada.

jtb

Banned
He's actually the second-best elected GOP Pres since JFK. (Bush Sr #1)

Well, if you're looking for silver linings, Bush Sr. also ran probably the most racist mainstream campaign in modern political history, only to be topped by Trump's. So there's hope yet!

So she'll probably end up winning the popular vote by around 2%.

Oh my god.

With a majority of the votes, we can't win the house, we can't win the Senate, we can't win the electoral college. Lovely.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm never quite sure whether I prefer the parliamentary system of picking the Leader of the Opposition at the start of a term or the presidential system of picking the opposition nominee at the end of it. In a weird way, I really want the next set of Democratic primaries to start soon; or at least some way of determining who the new leaders of the Democratic movement are.

Kusagari

Trump isn't going to use nukes.

The scarier thing here is drones because I can actually see him trying to drone strike a city.

Sibylus

Banned
Threads moving too fast for me to keep up, but I'll just throw in my twopence into some arguments:

• Abandoning intersectionality = DOA. If Dems attempt this, people will actively destroy the party and are right to do so.
  • Make the most of Dean and other bottom-up, 50-state advocates wanting to get involved. Need them aboard.
  • Get comfortable with the idea of street protests and civil disobedience. Trump can't be opposed by loosely-held beachheads in the house and senate alone.

Thénardiers to our left, Javerts to our right. Have to work together and survive.

Paches

There is no legal protection stopping Trump from nuking anything at any time for any reason. He has to explain his actions a few months later to Congress, by law, but by then, who cares, the damage is done.

The people pushing the actual launch codes have no idea what is going on. They do not know if we just got attacked. They are kept in the dark in a bunker. This is intentional so there is no hesitation because reacting to a nuclear attack there is a margin of error of like 20 seconds.
But if they know Trump is president, obviously, do you think there is a voice in the back of their head making them question it?

Just saw your edit. We are completely fucked I think. I think there is a non zero chance he uses them in a non retaliatory manner.

Yes, I actually pause for a moment sometimes when I am about to post things like bragged about sexual assault. Even though it's there on tape. Chilling effects.
You're kind of rambling there in the end... Im with you on no longer playing nice... and I never wanted to play nice with them from the start when it comes to the GOP way back when Obama was first elected.

But where would you like the platform to be on policy?
I am mostly on ramble rant mode. I know my policy platform wouldn't win in a post Trump post fact today.

Chumley

Banned
I pray to god Pence is actually in charge of shit and has the ear of the generals to just coup this motherfucker if he starts talking about nukes.

Warren says they will work with him on things that help the middle class, but they will fight him every step of the way on everything else. Really it seems like our faith is in the supreme court justices making it to 2020 because we are doomed if Trump Swings a 7-2 majority in the senate. There is literally nothing we will be able to pass in my adult life that will stand up in court.

With a majority of the votes, we can't win the house, we can't win the Senate, we can't win the electoral college. Lovely.

Because the government was never set up for Wyoming to have as many people as a block in NYC. It was put in place to ensure the small rural slave holding communities didn't get outvoted by the large, liberal, free, urban areas.

99% of the failings of the Constitution either boil down to a paranoia of an oppressive regime seizing power, or slaves. Both are direct issues of the time that are meaningless these days. The fixes in the Constitution to protect a tyrant from taking over may have ironically caused one to do so.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How effective in red states could a challenge be that literally just comes down to "look at them they fucking lied to your faces"?

It can help suppress turnout, but unless you promise the same thing it won't get them to vote for you.

mo60

I'm never quite sure whether I prefer the parliamentary system of picking the Leader of the Opposition at the start of a term or the presidential system of picking the opposition nominee at the end of it. In a weird way, I really want the next set of Democratic primaries to start soon; or at least some way of determining who the new leaders of the Democratic movement are.

They both suffer from the same problem especially in the US's case.The winner of the election can still lose if they don;t get enough electoral votes or seats. In other countries like france you don't have to worry as much about a trump like candidate getting elected unless the vote is spilt like three ways and is favourable for the trump like candidate like what happened in the Philippines recently.

How effective in red states could a challenge be that literally just comes down to "look at them they fucking lied to your faces"?

I mean, it could work?

If you run a bunch of people with policy position similar to Bill Clinton, you can win a red state if you're going up against a terrible opponent (JBE being the main example) and all red state governors are going to look terrible in 2018.

sphagnum

Banned
Warren says they will work with him on things that help the middle class, but they will fight him every step of the way on everything else.

There's no other option. The GOP controls all the branches so the can't stop anything. On the off chance that Trump does something good like a big jobs program they can't let him get all the credit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Help I've got a seven hour drive tomorrow with my dad and I need podcasts that won't bum me the fuck out, so anything NPR or science or history related is out. You know, anything that reminds me that its all going to shit, even by association.

mlclmtckr

Banned
He's filling his cabinet with white supremacists. We have to rely on the moral character of one of them to disobey him. We're fucked. He can do whatever he wants.

Who knows, maybe some Secret Service agent would do the right thing if it came down to it.

I wonder when we are going to get a leak as to what went down in that meeting today because I suspect the reason it lasted so long was because Trump came in as his usual self and Obama had to calm himself down before sitting in front of the press. Like, there is no way that meeting went well today if he is at this level.

There's no other option. The GOP controls all the branches so the can't stop anything. On the off chance that Trump does something good like a big jobs program they can't let him get all the credit.

Senate will still have the filibuster. There's no way McConnell throws away their scapegoat to blame democrats.
They can't blame Trump for any failures either because they supported him in the election.

We literally had a left leaning Democrat get more votes in Missouri than he had any business getting because he wasn't against guns.

It boils down to the 50 state strategy. Put up the candidates with the things people in those states care about. People in these deep red states are not necessarily against major things Democrats push. You just need to keep in mind what the community cares about (like guns, religion, etc) and push candidates that highlight that thing, while also bringing a liberal agenda. They are single issue voters. Appeal to that single issue and you can get them on board. The GOP has been doing this forever to get poor people on their corporate agenda.

It's something so called "progressives" just don't understand and might never understand. A hard line progressive that passes a dumb litmus test will never get the vote Kander got. It will never happen. And yet Kander is the best person to point to for a liberal being able to win (even though he lost, it still shows it's possible) in the deep south as long as they make some adjustments to the traditional liberal platform to fit the important policies of the states.

What's sad, is Bernie himself did this with gun control in Vermont. He isn't even a true believer in the full Progressive Platform, and yet he's championed as the lord of the movement. Which means these purity tests are pointless if they're going to make exceptions for candidates they just like because they like them.

We took the Blue Dogs to granted. We shouldn't have pushed them to vote for things that cost them their seats. We should have worked around their requirements to stay in office in the areas they were in. We'd maybe pass less sweeping reforms, but they'd have a shot. And we'd hold the speaker and majority leader positions, which would give us immense power just by holding that title and not even having votes to pass anything majorly liberal.

mackaveli

We literally had a left leaning Democrat get more votes in Missouri than he had any business getting because he wasn't against guns.

It boils down to the 50 state strategy. Put up the candidates with the things people in those states care about. People in these deep red states are not necessarily against major things Democrats push. You just need to keep in mind what the community cares about (like guns, religion, etc) and push candidates that highlight that thing, while also bringing a liberal agenda. They are single issue voters. Appeal to that single issue and you can get them on board. The GOP has been doing this forever to get poor people on their corporate agenda.

It's something so called "progressives" just don't understand and might never understand. A hard line progressive that passes a dumb litmus test will never get the vote Kander got. It will never happen. And yet Kander is the best person to point to for a liberal being able to win (even though he lost, it still shows it's possible) in the deep south as long as they make some adjustments to the traditional liberal platform to fit the important policies of the states.

What's sad, is Bernie himself did this with gun control in Vermont. He isn't even a true believer in the full Progressive Platform, and yet he's championed as the lord of the movement. Which means these purity tests are pointless if they're going to make exceptions for candidates they just like because they like them.

We took the Blue Dogs to granted. We shouldn't have pushed them to vote for things that cost them their seats. We should have worked around their requirements to stay in office in the areas they were in. We'd maybe pass less sweeping reforms, but they'd have a shot. And we'd hold the speaker and majority leader positions, which would give us immense power just by holding that title and not even having votes to pass anything majorly liberal.

Yes purity tests are the worst.

OT title should be "Hello darkness my old friend"

I think the lyrics for the song actually are pretty good advice for right now though.

If you apply military strategy to political strategy.

[WASHINGTON]
The cavalry’s not coming

[HAMILTON]
But, sir!

[WASHINGTON]
Alex, listen. There’s only one way for us to win this
Provoke outrage, outright

[HAMILTON]
That’s right

[WASHINGTON]
Don’t engage, strike by night
Remain relentless ‘til their troops take flight

[HAMILTON]
Make it impossible to justify the cost of the fight

[WASHINGTON]
Outrun

[HAMILTON]
Outrun

[WASHINGTON]
Outlast

[HAMILTON]
Outlast

[WASHINGTON]
Hit ‘em quick, get out fast

[HAMILTON]
Chick-a-plao!

[WASHINGTON]
Stay alive ‘til this horror show is past
We’re gonna fly a lot of flags half-mast

[HAMILTON/LAURENS/LAFAYETTE]
Raise a glass!

Barzul

Honestly Facebook, Twitter et al are going to have to figure out if they want to continuously allow the easy spread of misinformation from bogus media sites on their platforms. They might've awoken an storm they have no chance of weathering. Money might really not be enough to influence Trump like they would've with any other GOP president. They've accelerated the ease of misinforming a significant portion of the electorate. Repealing the Fairness doctrine was a mistake, a big big one.

It's something so called "progressives" just don't understand and might never understand. A hard line progressive that passes a dumb litmus test will never get the vote Kander got. It will never happen. And yet Kander is the best person to point to for a liberal being able to win in the deep south as long as they make some adjustments to the traditional liberal platform to fit the important policies of the states.

It's why in hindsight, Hillarys campaign failed those states...

The main issues this year were seemingly "Obamas 3rd term, Trump is demeaning against women, Trump hates minorities, Clinton stands against Trump and stands with minorities".

That's it. I'm hard pressed to be able to specifically point out to any other thing that her campaign ran on. That should've been enough. But it wasn't. Because not every person in America cares about minorities. They have their own families to worry about. So a simple message like 'Make America Great Again' is really effective. Trump highlighting that jobs are being shipped out, that America is a loser, is effective to Americans that are essentially losing at life.

It was messaging that lost the campaign. We may have had the morally right message, but we didn't have the right message.

Honestly Facebook, Twitter et al are going to have to figure out if they want to continuously allow the easy spread of misinformation from bogus media sites on their platforms. They might've awoken an storm they have no chance of weathering. Money might really not be enough to influence Trump like they would've with any other GOP president. They've accelerated the ease of misinforming a significant portion of the electorate. Repealing the Fairness doctrine was a mistake, a big big one.

This is probably impossible because Trump is the president

If Trump says something incendiary and against Twitter's TOS... it's not like you can ban people for talking about or agreeing with the president. Or ban the president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom