• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/704915297552179200

So basically, it's not happening. I'll happily vote in the CA Rep. primary.

Yeah....that's a tall order. And yet, it's the best I think the GOP can hope for at this point.

I'll play Devil's advocate for a moment and note that based on this:

Where he did outspend her on the airwaves he did win.
The exception being MA.

Although those places were already identified as places that were favourable.

Given Sanders is Mr Moneybags now, he could blanket the airwaves I guess in upcoming states.
Well, he was selective and blanketed the airwaves in the places most likely to be receptive to his message. I'd expect this type of strategic bombardment to continue.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sorry. After Bernie lost the south so badly and Hillary got the endorsement of a Black minister of my precinct, I didn't know what to do.

I honestly still don't understand why Hillary is better than Bernie for black people, but as a white voter in a 40% white precinct, it felt wrong to go against the grain of minority voters.

Kangi

DgJdib4.png

I'm proud of you, gays.

So, if Trump wins the nomination, will a lot of white nationalist candidates win congressional primaries in 2018 (which turn into congressional seats as it will probably be a midterm wave against Hillary)?

starmud

My biggest issue with the Bernie argument is turn out. Even for the work he has done with getting younger voters energized, turn out has been a loss sans a select few states. Even if you want to factor 08 being the outliner, for the platform sanders claims to be leading it hasn't been showing.

It surprises me at times given the fundraising machine sanders has built...

Much less losing in key voting demographics for democrats... Assuming these voters just come with the territory has led to defeat for the party before.

So Trump dominated, but instead of my shares going up, I'm down over $200. People are weird.

So, I commented on this earlier. But while he won across the board, I don't know if I'd completely call it dominating. I think he's very likely the nominee.

But I would imagine Cruz's stock shot up after today.

So Trump dominated, but instead of my shares going up, I'm down over $200. People are weird.

Rubio won 3 more delegates than Trump in Minnesota, momentum finally happening. Obviously deserves a bump.

But I would imagine Cruz's stock shot up after today.

Nope! It was Rubio that's going up.

*Literally anything, usually something bad for Rubio, happens* "This is good news for Marco Rubio."

My biggest issue with the Bernie argument is turn out. Even for the work he has done with getting younger voters energized, turn out has been a loss sans a select few states. Even if you want to factor 08 being the outliner, for the platform sanders claims to be leading it hasn't been showing.

It surprises me at times given the fundraising machine sanders has built...

Much less losing in key voting demographics for democrats... Assuming these voters just come with the territory has led to defeat for the party before.

Now that you mention it:

CchaNMsW0AAXccY.jpg:large

This should worry Clinton, too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If I understand correctly it sounds like tonight wasn't quite as good as expected for Donald Trump, but still very good for Donald Trump, and tonight wasn't quite as good as expected for Hillary Clinton, but still very good for Hillary Clinton

Holmes

If I understand correctly it sounds like tonight wasn't quite as good as expected for Donald Trump, but still very good for Donald Trump, and tonight wasn't quite as good as expected for Hillary Clinton, but still very good for Hillary Clinton
I think so, but if you had told me that these would be the results before South Carolina (on both sides), I would have been surprised.

What exactly is the argument for "not as god as expected for Clinton"? Sure, she lost a couple of toss-up states, but she destroyed her polling projections in the south which more than offsets that

Basically whichever Senators and Governors okay with a candidate that says overtly racist things and won't disavow the KKK immediately, probably for fear of alienating his racist base.

Christie looked like a hostage to his stupid decision.

That slim Pickens comment from a republican had me rolling. This nuke is dropping. I'm curious if more jump on as he becomes a more sure thing

That Chrisitie pick was hilarious

ivysaur12

Banned
Both Sanders and Clinton overperformed. Expectations were low for Sanders after Nevada / SC, though.

Sanders thought he could win 5 states, lost a state in his backyard that he overspent Clinton in, and got decimated in the delegate-rich South. That overperforming?

Gruco

Banned
Clinton lost CO and MN by 20 points and OK by 10. It's a great night for her because the margins in the south were incredible, but those are pretty disappointing.

Of course, it's not like there was a benchmark for CO or MN.

What exactly is the argument for "not as god as expected for Clinton"? Sure, she lost a couple of toss-up states, but she destroyed her polling projections in the south

Welcome to being a Hillarystan.

There can never be a good night for Hillary Clinton.

Her margins in Texas are just insane. She's currently netting 74 delegates more than Bernie.

Sanders thought he could win 5 states, lost a state in his backyard that he overspent Clinton in, and got decimated in the delegate-rich South. That overperforming?

He overperformed in the places he won.

Clinton was ahead by 7 points in Massachusetts average of polls. He narrowed it down to less than 2.

ivysaur12

Banned
He overperformed in the places he won.

Clinton was ahead by 7 points in Massachusetts average of polls. He narrowed it down to less than 2.

But he didn't win Massachusetts, and failed to win big in any state that is going to net him delegates to even come close to closing the gap that he needs to.

He needed a better night to stay viable. He didn't.

Hazmat

What exactly is the argument for "not as god as expected for Clinton"? Sure, she lost a couple of toss-up states, but she destroyed her polling projections in the south which more than offsets that

I think (here at least) expectations for her shot sky-high after South Carolina. Some people thought her margin there meant a big shift towards her, but it seems like it was either mainly in the black community or that they were underrepresented in polling. Any of her supporters would have been ecstatic for these numbers a week ago.

Kangi

I think (here at least) expectations for her shot sky-high after South Carolina. Some people thought her margin there meant a big shift towards her, but it seems like it was either mainly in the black community or that they were underrepresented in polling. Any of her supporters would have been ecstatic for these numbers a week ago.

Yeah, us South Carolinians spoiled you guys. Sorry. =(

But I do find it funny how much people are championing that he "beat expectations" when the expectations being referred to were literally a worst case scenario for him.

He overperformed in the places he won. Going by polling and expectations after the Nevada and SC failures.

Bernie managed to meet his 538 targets in Vermont.

So far, that's it. Saying he narrowed it down, ergo he over performed means the only metric he needs to meet is outdoing his polling. That's just not the case.

But he didn't win Massachusetts, and failed to win big in any state that is going to net him delegates to even come close to closing the gap that he needs to.

He needed a better night to stay viable. He didn't.

He wasnt expected to win Massachusetts, but he did better there than most pollsters expected and in every single state he won. Thats the definition of overperforming.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah I think Cruz's got this. Oh well.

Yeah, it looks like he does.

He wasnt expected to win Massachusetts, but he did better there than most pollsters expected and in every single state he won. Thats the definition of overperforming.

He also didn't win Massachusetts and should've done better given its proximity to Vermont, its demographics, and the targeted ad campaign and money that Bernie put into the state. That's underperforming.

This was a terrible night for Sanders.

What he needed to do and what he was expected to do are two different things.

He didn't perform what he needed to do. He needed to sweep the five states that he was spending all his time and money in, which had very good demographics for him. He only managed to get 4 out of 5.

But he outperformed some expectations leading into today. The final poll out for MA had a two point margin, although that misses the point really that the margin in polls is subject to error anyway. He did well in white caucus states, something we already know. For the most part there was limited info on the states he did well in leading in.

Clinton did what she needed to do, and then some - i.e. winning MA. She needed to hold him close enough in the white caucuses that her losses wouldn't matter - ymmv on if she did that. But she didn't need a sweep of everything but VT, it just would have been a good way to put it all to bed. She also outperformed what she was expected to do in the south.

He also didn't win Massachusetts and should've done better given its proximity to Vermont, its demographics, and the targeted ad campaign and money that Bernie put into the state. That's underperforming.

This was a terrible night for Sanders.

The scientific expecations, aka polls, expected Clinton to win by 7-11 points. She did by 2. Dont be obtuse. Sanders path for the nomination effectively ended in Nevada, that doesnt mean he didnt outperform polls today.

Bernie managed to meet his 538 targets in Vermont.

So far, that's it. Saying he narrowed it down, ergo he over performed means the only metric he needs to meet is outdoing his polling. That's just not the case.

He outdid his 538 targets in Colorado and Oklahoma, and kept the numbers for Minnesota. He was trashed in the South though, but that was expected after South Carolina.

Holmes

Honestly Melkr you can have Oklahoma, bunch of racist conservadems who voted against Clinton to send a message to Obama.

ivysaur12

Banned
The scientific expecations, aka polls, expected Clinton to win by 7-11 points. She did by 2. Dont be obtuse. Sanders path for the nomination effectively ended in Nevada, that doesnt mean he didnt outperformed polls today.

Rubio did "better" than his poll numbers in Virginia, yet still lost and took a devastating blow to his candidacy when expectations were super high for him to come away with more than 1 state win. He didn't. I don't consider that over performing for a night on the whole even if he did better than expected in certain states, because his path to the nomination is over.

Fine, maybe your right by your definition of overperforming that Bernie overperformed in some limited states. That doesn't mean that he overperformed for the night on the whole. He lost a moral victory in Massachusetts and could not compete with Clinton outside of his main demographics, something we've thought could happen for months.

Krowley

Some of this is psychology. Some of it is math.

No question, this was a bad math night for Bernie, but it was good for morale. Many of his supporters expected much worse. Enthusiasm was starting to wane, and the bottom had started to fall out of his poll numbers.

I think there's a good chance that trend reverses after tonight, at least a little bit. I can tell you that the mood in the online Bernie communities has improved considerably based on tonight.

Honestly Melkr you can have Oklahoma, bunch of racist conservadems who voted against Clinton to send a message to Obama.

This is a pretty shitty thing to say. It's similar to any number of disgusting rants from the other side about the people who have chosen to vote for Hillary.

ivysaur12

Banned
Some of this is psychology. Some of it is math.

No question, this was a bad math night for Bernie, but it was good for morale. Many of his supporters expected much worse. Enthusiasm was starting to wane, and the bottom had started to fall out of his poll numbers.

I think there's a good chance that trend reverses after tonight.

He just became mathematically unable to win the nomination. He lost what should have been one of the friendliest states to him even a month ago. How would that trend even start to reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom